Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Randwyck

Default $1 million Hussler punt

September 20, 2008 12:00am

ONE of Australia's biggest punters has unleashed a $1 million bet on Weekend Hussler to win today's Group 1 Underwood Stakes at Caulfield.

The bet is the biggest of the spring so far and has left Darwin Sportsbet desperately hoping for an upset to escape a $650,000 loss.

"We wouldn't normally let the guy on for so much, but he's our best client, it's a Group 1 race and the odds were short enough at $1.65," Darwin Sportsbet's Matt Tripp said.

"We've slashed his odds to $1.58. The punters are only interested in one horse."

Tripp said he was "hoping more than confident" Weekend Hussler could be beaten.

"We're expecting very big improvement from Light Fantastic," he said.

Weekend Hussler firmed into $1.55 with TAB Sportsbet.

Weekend Hussler will join Vain as the second horse to win seven Group 1 races in a calendar year in their first year of racing if he scores in the $350,000 Underwood (1800m).

Vain won seven Group 1s from March 1969 to November 1969 in a 14-start career.

Weekend Hussler's Group 1 streak started last October in the Caulfield Guineas and he's racing for the 15th time today.

As Weekend Hussler's fan club grows, rival trainer David Hayes hailed racing's latest hero.

"I can't remember a horse winning six Group 1s in his first year of racing. Horses like Better Loosen Up did it, but he'd raced for some time before," Hayes said.

Hayes, who will saddle The Fuzz, Kibbutz and Indio Glorioso, said he was expecting Weekend Hussler to win.

"(But) They do get beat, that's what makes racing so great. Miss Finland was a hot favourite in this race last year (finishing second) and had won the Memsie just as impressively as Weekend Hussler.

"But I'd be surprised if he was beaten."

Hayes pointed out his galloper Indio Glorioso and Maldivian would ensure it was a truly run 1800m for Weekend Hussler's first test beyond 1600m.

"It will probably suit him even better, but it will answer the question whether he can stay," Hayes said.

Clinton McDonald, son of trainer Ross McDonald, said the stable was looking forward to today.

"The horse is great. The scary thing is he isn't four yet (until November 3)."

"People are potting him because he had an easy run (in the Makybe Diva). But he's got the attribute he can race anywhere, If the speed is on he'll be even more devastating," McDonald said.

Racing Victoria Ltd chief handicapper Greg Carpenter said Weekend Hussler rated 121 in his last-start Makybe Diva Stakes win, marginally below his career-high 122.

"If he wins tomorrow by a blow-away margin he could surpass that," he said.

Now thats a ****in PUNT!!!!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Saratoga

Yeah but he would have made a hell of a lot more if he'd listened to us and put it on our Orange boy.