Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Santa Anita

Default 1000 Guineas Day

another nice day to round off the weekend (well I have Monday off work so only the middle of the weekend for me!)

The Jockey Club stakes looks a right good race with Getaway, Sixties Icon back and Galactic Star. I fancy Fabre's one to be honest.
The Guineas could go to the french as well with Natagora. Though I wouldnt rule out any of the irish fillies either. they all hold some sort of chance..

Finally, the Palace House Stakes has the reappearance of top sprinter Sakhee's Secret against Zidane and Enticing, two very useful speedsters..

#Grand
Old 05-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Santa Anita

OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhh, I think Im in Love with Getaway. so so classy...another Monsun star

#Grand
Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Santa Anita

wow, what a guineas..
Natagora won it, Nahoodh shockingly unlucky, but wasnt even placed, came 4th or 5th in the end.

#Grand
Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Randwyck

Brockguy, what are your thoughts on Spacious? I love Nayef and he's been doing well - I hoped this filly would win, but she does seem to have run very well. It seems from what I've read that she's considered more of an Oaks filly, but her trainer wants to keep her at a mile for now......or so he was quoted in the Sporting Life. Isn't that kind of odd? In any case, it's encouraging that this filly ran so well without a prep at a distance short of her best. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Santa Anita

yeah, i thought it was strange enough at first, but she ran so well today and with a stronger pace would have done better. I think they'll give her a few runs at a mile to give her the best possible opportunity to do well, and then if and when its needed, step her up in trip. I suppose the good thing is that Chevley Park are such good owners and they will probably race her (all being well) as a 4 and even 5 year old, so she will have plenty of chances to excel!

#Grand
Old 05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
yeah, i thought it was strange enough at first, but she ran so well today and with a stronger pace would have done better. I think they'll give her a few runs at a mile to give her the best possible opportunity to do well, and then if and when its needed, step her up in trip. I suppose the good thing is that Chevley Park are such good owners and they will probably race her (all being well) as a 4 and even 5 year old, so she will have plenty of chances to excel!

Thanks, Brockguy! Unlike in the States, there are many prestigious races at a Mile in Europe - so if she's good enough, I suppose I have no problems. I'm sure they're very happy with the filly - if she stays healthy and they run her, then that's all I can ask. I'd like to be able to follow this filly for a good long time; I'm still not over Bernardini.....That was a rough beat today, but she ran well and that's all I can ask.

One more question - what do you think of Tamayuz? He's another Nayef who just won a group 2 in France recently? I'm trying to track all the Nayefs I can and he looks pretty good.........

Sorry for the questions, but I love European racing and I've always wanted to have a really good one to follow over there. Thanks again!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 AM
The Curragh

So glad for Natagora and her conections, a fantastic filly. It seems that my slight stamina worries were unfounded as she kept pulling out more and more to see off all the challengers that looked like swallowing her up at one stage.

I fancied Spacious a bit, too, but she probably does need a bit more of a stamina test, although having said that I'm not sure if she'd want 12 furlongs. She might become a frustrating sort who is a bit tripless, but I hope that isn't the case.

Infallible, as her pedigree suggested, didn't look to stay. Travelled very well through the race but didn't have a great deal left at the business end. She could also turn out to be a frustrating sort, unless they find the right six furlong races for her.

Money fot the Godolphin filly was mis-placed (once again) and she proved very disappointing indeed.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Santa Anita

just watching the race again, I cant help but laugh at Richard Hughes on Nahoodh. It could only happen to him (or Spencer!)

Betsy, regarding Tamayuz, he seems to be very highly regarded by Shadwell. He could well be a French Derby horse. I dont really know what to make of his G3 win the other day, but he did it well...

#Grand
Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Santa Anita

plus i again have to add how much I love Monsun.. He is just such a brilliant stallion who gets brilliant older horses year after year that dont seem to mind trips or ground. They are such well built, proper horses.

#Grand
Old 05-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
just watching the race again, I cant help but laugh at Richard Hughes on Nahoodh. It could only happen to him (or Spencer!)

Betsy, regarding Tamayuz, he seems to be very highly regarded by Shadwell. He could well be a French Derby horse. I dont really know what to make of his G3 win the other day, but he did it well...
Thanks, Brockguy! I appreciate your comments!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Thanks, Brockguy! I appreciate your comments!
Betsy, you may have seen it already, but Tony Morris does a brilliant write up each week of certain horses and there is one there for Tamayuz. Its in the bloodstick section of the racingpost..

#Grand