Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

mrs btw..is a m.i t grad..congrats andy..
Old 03-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Idlewild Airport

Also, with the addendum that Andy pointed out, this will go much faster. Could be done within two weeks.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
You know what it is also Andy, I'm at the mercy of some of those longshots WINNING the race as simply finishing second will not do it for me...But the combo will vs. the exacta.
No, the ones winning help you, as you get the place money and can't have a positive exacta result. Y must equal zero in that variation. In other words, you have two possible positive results and the exacta has only one.

The reason Brian's " outlyer " ( the $300 exacta ) has to count is there will be outlyers of HUGE prices that run first or second and beef up the place result where there is zero cash in the exacta. You should hit the exacta somewhere close to 40% of the time WHEN YOU FINISH SECOND.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
No, the ones winning help you, as you get the place money and can't have a positive exacta result. Y must equal zero in that variation. In other words, you have two possible positive results and the exacta has only one.

The reason Brian's " outlyer " ( the $300 exacta ) has to count is there will be outlyers of HUGE prices that run first or second and beef up the place result where there is zero cash in the exacta. You should hit the exacta somewhere close to 40% of the time WHEN YOU FINISH SECOND.
That's what I'm saying it will help me tremendously when they win. So the more winning the better.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Apparently you missed Andy's post from before. You have short changed my side by quite a bit. You missed all the win bets when those longshots won...If you do it again, you'll find me on top.
Ok if I factor in the win bets, then that doubles the exacta bets, as the original premise was bet $50WP, or $100 on the exacta.

So these totals reflect $2 WP on each race with a 10-1+ shot in the top two, versus a $4 cold exacta with the favorite over said 10-1+ shot.

$4 Exacta: $2,512.40
$2WP: $1,576.70

I'm not trying to say that it's not possible that the numbers wouldn't even out over time, but over these 18 race days -- when factoring in the win money gained from a $2 WP bet, it closed the gap only by a miniscule percentage.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
mrs btw..is a m.i t grad..congrats andy..

There aint no " mrs ", how do you think I am able to live my ridiculous life, but the person I ask is, in fact, an MIT grad coincidentally.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Ok if I factor in the win bets, then that doubles the exacta bets, as the original premise was bet $50WP, or $100 on the exacta.

So these totals reflect $2 WP on each race with a 10-1+ shot in the top two, versus a $4 cold exacta with the favorite over said 10-1+ shot.

I'm not trying to say that it's not possible that the numbers wouldn't even out over time, but over these 18 race days -- when factoring in the win money gained from a $2 WP bet, it closed the gap only by a miniscule percentage.

Buzz, you did it wrong again. You are doubling the exacta.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

We are only looking at one part of the total wager.....$2 to place versus $2 below the favorite in the exacta. We are trying to determine which is a better hedge.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Buzz, you did it wrong again. You are doubling the exacta.

He's doubling it because you are doubling the money bet on the other side. However, it is not at all what we are looking at.

The closer argument to his last numbers is $2 WP or a $2 exacta box.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
He's doubling it because you are doubling the money bet on the other side. However, it is not at all what we are looking at.

The closer argument to his last numbers is $2 WP or a $2 exacta box.
Yes. He has misunderstood the original bet....When I start scoring, everyone and their mother can double check it and make sure we are scoring the right way. it will be fair...People are getting ahead of themselves are not understanding the point of this.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I'm bored.

I looked at all of the available charts on Equibase, between Santa Anita, Gulfstream and Aqueduct. It only comprised eighteen race days total, but I went through them.

I used Randall's original idea, of 10-1+ shot running in the top two versus a 10-1+ shot running behind the favorite (any favorite, lukewarm or odds-on) in the race. With that, it presumes that regardless of how you played it, that 10-1+ horse was the one you liked.

The totals I got were:

Aqueduct:
Place Wagers: $139.20
Exacta: $222.40

Gulfstream:
Place Wagers: $292.40
Exacta: $440.80

Santa Anita:
Place Wagers: $335.20 (may I add, just ONE of the exactas was worth $302.80 for a deuce, almost entirely negating the other sixteen double-digit place horses all by itself)
Exacta:$593.00

Total for published race days on Equibase:
Place Wagers: $766.80
Exacta: $1,256.20

Not even close so far.
I can give you chart information for Gulfstream from the beginning of February tomorrow or thursday night if you'd like to check that further (John Stewart is coming on in a few )
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
We are only looking at one part of the total wager.....$2 to place versus $2 below the favorite in the exacta. We are trying to determine which is a better hedge.
That was the first set of numbers I did, with no regard to anything else.

Sorry if I misunderstood the original premise that created the question to begin with, I thought it was the $50 WP vs $100 Exacta that started the whole thing...

Ho-hum.
Monmouth Park

[quote=brianwspencer]Ok if I factor in the win bets, then that doubles the exacta bets, as the original premise was bet $50WP, or $100 on the exacta.

BINGO, and that's why this is troubling me. Thank you Bryan. We're getting away from my original statement. Far away.

Quote:

This bet was not about win betting, this was about place betting. Go back to my original post, where I told you to look at today's 6th at GP. If you want to look at a $50 place bet, etc, .....something's not jiving with my original point. I've got to refer back.
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

i thought there was some grey matter involved..and congrats on your lone wolf lifestyle..you and byk...the dice man meets sam ace rothstine..no problems no nagging...gotta love it......
Jerome Park

Quote:
Yes. He has misunderstood the original bet....When I start scoring, everyone and their mother can double check it and make sure we are scoring the right way. it will be fair...People are getting ahead of themselves are not understanding the point of this.
Only in the second one.

You better relax on the certainty that you are right here....as you probably are not.

Brian's pretty smart. He knows what he's looking at.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Idlewild Airport

[quote=Grits]
Quote:

BINGO, and that's why this is troubling me. Thank you Bryan. We're getting away from my original statement. Far away.

This bet was not about win betting, this was about place betting. Go back to my original post, where I told you to look at today's 6th at GP. If you want to look at a $50 place bet, etc, .....something's not jiving with my original point. I've got to refer back.
WHAT? It's pretty clear how this works. If we do this on a 2 dollar bet, essentially I have 2$ win and place on a horse. You have 2$ to win and 2$ with the favorite over top in the exacta. That is exactly what it is!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Newmarket

Paging Stephen Hawking, please call your office.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Idlewild Airport

[quote=randallscott35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
WHAT? It's pretty clear how this works. If we do this on a 2 dollar bet, essentially I have 2$ win and place on a horse. You have 2$ to win and 2$ with the favorite over top in the exacta. That is exactly what it is!!
Double checking this is correct. 2$WP on a 10-1 or greater shot vs. 2$win and 2$ exac with fave over longshot. That should come out perfectly.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
The Curragh

Cool win vs. win/pl.

My standard play is $50 to win and $25 ex. box with my key horse and my second choice in the race. Or $25 ex. keying my horse over 2 horses. I have never understood the bet to win then turn around and key my horse in second only! A place bet is a hedge, i prefer to hedge with an exacta. I am kinda like Andy Beyer in that if am right I want to be really right and if my opion was wrong I didn't deserve to cash, anyhow. Perfect example is today in the last race @G.P my key horse #4 @ 7-1 paid only $7.40 to place, even with a 56-1 winning the race. One more example is my friend @ the OTB I attend is a $200 WP guy. He refuses to play an exacta. There are alot times that my $100 cashes for alot more than his $200 place bets. P.S. I'm really looking forward to the Youbet shows Andy!!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Monmouth Park

[quote=randallscott35]
Quote:

Double checking this is correct. 2$WP on a 10-1 or greater shot vs. 2$win and 2$ exac with fave over longshot. That should come out perfectly.
Andy and RS, before we finalize everything would both of you go back to page 4 of the "Closest You've Come" thread, read that page, read what each of us stated as instances, and make sure for me, that we're all on the same page with our conditions.

I don't wanna have to call my CPA in the morning.