Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone View Post
My biggest pet peeve with pace setters is when the jockey backs down the pace and does a fantastic job of moderating the tempo, only to let the other horses get right up to his neck on the far turn, which basically eliminates the advantage. Rarely does a pacesetter lose the lead and then come back to win, unless you're talking about a significant class/ability edge.

I wish they would step on it a bit sooner, open-up and then in the stretch, when everyone is tired, see if they can hold off any closers... which is hard to do - pass horses when you're spent.
Since you call hundreds maybe thousands of races per year your assesment carries far more weight than the opinion of most other observers. Also since I agree with you 100% you must be right. Actually I have often mentioned that exact thing to several of my degenerate friends and they tell me leave the riding to the jockeys. I am printing this off so I can show them I am not alone. Thanks Travis.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Belmont Park

[quote=RolloTomasi;802999]I thought he looked terrible down the stretch in the Curlin, not like a horse on the improve. His maiden win was nice, and highly rated, but talk about a ragtag field.

Bill Mott had enough sense to put To Honor And Serve in allowance company (no mean feat with the colt owning 3 lifetime wins). How hard would it have been to get Raison d'Etat into a first condition allowance?

What injury is Coil coming off of?[/QUOTE]

Maybe this? Dunno either - hadn't heard anything...

From BRISnet -

Baffert said that Coil scratched his right eye at some point after his most recent work, a six-furlong drill in 1:13 last Wednesday, but that the injury has been improving.

"Coil's eye is getting better," Baffert said. "He scratched it somehow after I left and has a small ulcer. I'm going to breeze him after the break on Tuesday and make the call. It's always something."

Baffert's assistant Jim Barnes said he has been keeping the eye covered and out of direct sunlight, and that the ulcer was on the colt's cornea.

"We're not sure how it came up, if he scratched it in the work, bumped it in the stall or what," Barnes said. "You have to very careful, but it looks like it's doing fine."
Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Oaklawn

I agree with you, if you look at the Preakness he had pace to stalk then opened up on the turn and just tried to hold on. That strategy works, but the problem is I think he gets lazy/distracted/pulls himself up if he doesnt have a target for a portion of the race (which is the case Sat).
Old 08-26-2011, 10:38 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootdog1 View Post
I agree with you, if you look at the Preakness he had pace to stalk then opened up on the turn and just tried to hold on. That strategy works, but the problem is I think he gets lazy/distracted/pulls himself up if he doesnt have a target for a portion of the race (which is the case Sat).
Should lock up then and keep a horse next to him for a while then on the turn, he certainly does not like to be passed.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Pretty damn impressive race from To Honor and Serve.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yep.

Likely ran a 105 Beyer there today and ran hard the whole way. Slevin had a dream trip and got drowned -- and he's a horse who ran in the 89-to-92 range each of his last five outs. Third place was coming off of a 91.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:43 PM
helicopter11

I like Raison D'etat in the Travers. By AP Indy - Sightseek so distance not an issue.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Keeneland

What an eyesore that race was.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Lincoln Fields

Rattlesnake Bridge could have run him down if he didn't run like a drunk the last 1/8th of a mile.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJ View Post
Rattlesnake Bridge could have run him down if he didn't run like a drunk the last 1/8th of a mile.
Around which turn?
Old 08-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
What an eyesore that race was.
You can say that again. The contrast from a scintillating and brilliant King's Bishop to that staggerfest was unfortunate.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:40 PM
The Curragh

this Travers sucks, Coil magically dissappeared, and the wiseguy horse never ran a lick
Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

You guys are a tough crowd. I thought Stay Thirsty ran pretty darn well to survive that hot pace.

Stay Thirsty would have jogged home the Colonel John/Mambo in Seattle year when Mambo got beat with that brutal nose bob.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
You guys are a tough crowd. I thought Stay Thirsty ran pretty darn well to survive that hot pace.

Stay Thirsty would have jogged home the Colonel John/Mambo in Seattle year when Mambo got beat with that brutal nose bob.
Yeah, Stay Thirsty was really the only one who ran. He has certainly improved a great deal since the spring. But how good is he really?

At least it appears To Honor and Serve is back after his race on Friday. Uncle Mo ran really well and hopefully Pletcher can squeeze a few more races out of him.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:09 PM
The Curragh

I dont like Stay Thirsty, I love Uncle Mo who is the better horse. Mo should go to the Woodward too!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar View Post
I dont like Stay Thirsty, I love Uncle Mo who is the better horse. Mo should go to the Woodward too!
The Woodward is next weekend. Isn't that a bit early to run back?
Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
My guess would be the Kelso and then the BC Dirt Mile
Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
lol meant the JCGC at Belmont
Old 08-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, Stay Thirsty was really the only one who ran. He has certainly improved a great deal since the spring. But how good is he really?
Yeah - I hear ya.

His Saratoga form is pretty good and his biggest achievement so far is just staying healthy and getting a little better all the time.

Like Lookin at Sucky last year -- he was also an expensive 2yo sales buy -- who was a pretty ok 2yo and just kept healthy.

2nd and 3rd in the Travers had to suck-up from that hot pace.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Hialeah Park

How did Coil not pass Shackleford in the stretch?

I looked to my brother entering the turn and said DFL to te horse he bet, Shack.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel