Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Steve Byk

Default 1/31 (TAM): Sam F. Davis S., Endeavor S. (G3's), Suncoast S.

9th (4:20) Suncoast S.

1 Mile 40 Yards | Fillies | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Irish Jasper Saez G 116 FTL
2 Huasca Velazquez J R 116 L
3 Whimsicality Maragh R 116
4 Holywell Ortiz I Jr 120 L
5 A. P.'s Glory Emigh C A 116 L
6 Innovative Idea Gallardo A A 116
7 Blue Eyed Babe Garcia Luis 116 L
8 Include Betty Homeister R B Jr 116 L
9 Lady Fog Horn Goncalves L R 116 L
10 Ancient Goddess (FR) Morales P 116 Blk-Off L
AE I Zoom Butler D P 116 L

10th (4:50) Lambholm South Endeavour S. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles (Turf) | Fillies and Mares | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Testa Rossi (FR) Ortiz I Jr 120 L
2 Rosalind Goncalves L R 120 Blk-On L
3 Naughty Holiday Leparoux J R 116 L
4 Save the Park Gallardo A A 116 L
5 Principessa Ava (IRE) Saez G 118 L
6 I'm Already Sexy Mena M 120 L
7 Medea (IRE) Boyce F 120 L
8 Rock On Baby Zayas E J 116 L
9 Julie's Love (GB) Maragh R 116 L
10 Maria Maria Emigh C A 116 L
11 Hard Not to Like Velazquez J R 120 L
12 Lots o' Lex Homeister R B Jr 116 L
13 Why Katherine Centeno D E 116 L
14 Tokyo Time Boulanger G 116 L

11th (5:20) Sam F. Davis S. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $250,000

1 Catalina Red Centeno D E 118 L
2 Royal Son Velazquez J R 116 L
3 Ami's Flatter Contreras L 116
4 Crittenden De La Cruz F 116
5 Divining Rod Garcia Luis 116 FTL
6 Bandages Allen R D Jr 116 L
7 Brother Bobo Saez G 116 L
8 G Five Maragh R 116 L
9 My Johnny Be Good Gallardo A A 116
10 Coomer Leparoux J R 116 L
11 Ocean Knight Ortiz I Jr 116 L
12 Bears Personality Prado E S 116 L
Old 01-29-2015, 11:28 AM
Gulfstream Park

Large fields makes for a great sequence. More interesting current Derby prospects going around this week...Catalina Red, My Johnny Be Good, Ocean Knight, Divining Rod
Old 01-31-2015, 07:01 AM
Goodwood

Irish Jasper for me in the Suncoast. The mile and forty distance can be tough on the outside horses and she has the rail. She's got the Gasparilla win on her resume and is proven at 7f. The extra distance should not be an issue. First time Lasix is the cherry on top. Too bad for Victor Lebron that Derek Ryan didn't stick with him.

In the Endeavour, Hard Not to Like and Testa Rossi will be very tough to beat but I will take a chance with Medea. She has the proper running style for this turf course and she loves 8.5f. She is also proven at the Gr 3 level with her Eatontown win over the summer. The price will be right.

I'm all about Catalina Red in the Sam Davis. This will be a class test but he LOVES this dirt course and that means a lot to me. He delivered a Stakes record in the Inaugural and a track record in the Pasco. XY Jet did not disgrace him last week at Gulfstream. I'm guessing 8.5f will be his limit being by Munnings but you never know until you stretch them out. His running style should allow him to relax and save ground early but Centeno will need to be alert down the backside. Ocean Knight may well be the real deal but he needs to show me a bit more than a Maiden blowout on the Inner.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Steve Byk

Grunder..
Old 01-31-2015, 05:35 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

I dunno how good the figure will be but that was a dynamite effort from Ocean Knight.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:56 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Grunder..
I'm glad that I didn't rip up my tickets on Ocean Knight early. I swear he called G Five down the middle of the stretch....
Old 01-31-2015, 07:33 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithting View Post
I'm glad that I didn't rip up my tickets on Ocean Knight early. I swear he called G Five down the middle of the stretch....
He called him G Five every call but the one before the wire.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:19 PM
helicopter11

Include Betty's win was stunning
Old 01-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
I dunno how good the figure will be but that was a dynamite effort from Ocean Knight.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:01 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicopter11 View Post
Include Betty's win was stunning
Be sure to thank Gerald Bennett AE's for setting that table. Without her, you would have never seen Include Betty, yet alone have been stymied by her performance.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:15 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Be sure to thank Gerald Bennett AE's for setting that table. Without her, you would have never seen Include Betty, yet alone have been stymied by her performance.
Wasnt Huasca, who finished second, only a half length of the early pace and fought gamely to lose by a neck?
Old 01-31-2015, 09:26 PM
Belmont Park

Bittersweet day trackside as Catalina Red's pedigree bared itself, and follows R Loyal Man (2005-2006) to win the Inaugural and the Pasco, only to fade stretching out. No word yet as to his condition but was pulled up on the gallop out and vanned off.

Paltry on track attendance was certainly not indicative of the attention, as Festival Preview day garnered a record handle (The canceling of Aqueduct and the scaled back card at GP certainly boosted interest).

Excellent gutty performance by Ocean Night who benefited from a duel between TAP's Divining Rod and Runaway OC/N1X winner My Johnny Be Good to grab the victory at odds on in the final jump by a neck. Expect to see these three back here in a month, and what a showdown that will be.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Wasnt Huasca, who finished second, only a half length of the early pace and fought gamely to lose by a neck?
If I Zoom doesn't draw in and press Huasca for 3/4ths into submission (and summarily fade to last at odds of 92-1) Huasca wins by open lengths. Not making excuses, just that the longshot set the table completely for Include Betty, who would not have been part of the picture without her.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
If I Zoom doesn't draw in and press Huasca for 3/4ths into submission (and summarily fade to last at odds of 92-1) Huasca wins by open lengths. Not making excuses, just that the longshot set the table completely for Include Betty, who would not have been part of the picture without her.
exactly 46 and change half

Blaise Pascal
Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Huasca is one of the unluckiest horses I can remember.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:23 PM
Steve Byk

http://www.drf.com/news/premium/tamp...ed-endeavor-dq

In recent years, a number of runners who were leading in the stretch of turf races at Tampa had suddenly bore out or swerved to the outside as they crossed over a point on the course where the markings of mowing patterns curled coming out of the chute. There was considerable debate among horsemen as to what caused the horses to bear out, but there was little question that it was happening, and it was always near the same point on the course.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
http://www.drf.com/news/premium/tamp...ed-endeavor-dq

In recent years, a number of runners who were leading in the stretch of turf races at Tampa had suddenly bore out or swerved to the outside as they crossed over a point on the course where the markings of mowing patterns curled coming out of the chute. There was considerable debate among horsemen as to what caused the horses to bear out, but there was little question that it was happening, and it was always near the same point on the course.
That is an excellent point - the day to day runners that cover the course regularly seem accustomed to it; the shippers on the other hand always seem to bear out - will be interesting to see if they adjust the maintenance of the chute, or just expect the trainers to adapt to the nuance, and suggest horses unfamiliar with the lay of the land don a shadow roll.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Woodbine

THANKS FOR THAT INFO..NOT HAVING PREMIUM drf i WAS WONDERING WHAT ABOUT THE COURSE THEY WERE REFERENCING IN THERE TEASER HEADLINE.