Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgar311
Why is it that day after day, week after week, we have to listen to these fools out west make their pitch for HOY honors for Zenyatta while RA's camp sits back, says nothing and lets her record do the talking? This is actually getting pretty sickening, the drooling over this horse. It took a couple weeks for me to go from actually liking and rooting for the horse to absolutely despising her because of the nonsense that comes out of the connections mouths and the track and fans alike.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215

“At first, Jerry was reluctant to accept our offer of renaming the race, because he was a personal friend of Gene Klein,” said Chillingworth. “But after he and Ann thought about it for a couple of days, he called back and said they thought Zenyatta would be flattered by the comparison and to know that she was held in such high esteem.”

Really?

I love when people apply human emotions and feelings to animals... I can just hear it now:

Shirreffs: "Hey Zenyatta, guess what? They named that race you won, you know, the "Lady's Secret, well, yep, they named it after you. Isn't that wonderful?"

Zenyatta: "Really? Oh My God! I am just so flattered! Lady's Secret was, like, such an amazing horse! I was such a big fan of hers! That is, like, so totally cool and amazing! The Zenyatta! That will be, like, so totally a great race! Can I run in it next year?! I'd so stay a virgin to win a race named after me! OH MY GOD!"

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the way that conversation would go.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyCat
Really?

I love when people apply human emotions and feelings to animals... I can just hear it now:

Shirreffs: "Hey Zenyatta, guess what? They named that race you won, you know, the "Lady's Secret, well, yep, they named it after you. Isn't that wonderful?"

Zenyatta: "Really? Oh My God! I am just so flattered! Lady's Secret was, like, such an amazing horse! I was such a big fan of hers! That is, like, so totally cool and amazing! The Zenyatta! That will be, like, so totally a great race! Can I run in it next year?! I'd so stay a virgin to win a race named after me! OH MY GOD!"

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the way that conversation would go.
Complete nonsense coming out of that camp and now we have to question their sanity
Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Why is this funny? let me guess you don't like her much do you?
B/c I could care less what a jockey says about a horse who raced all of one time on dirt and virtually never trained on it...The answer is we will never know.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
If she was better on dirt, it's a shame we only were able to see her run on it.... once.
agreed, thats the biggest problem with this horse. its woulda, coulda , shoulda. she won one race on dirt and scratched when it rained the other time. why if shes so good on dirt? how does anyone know shes better on dirt?????...answer...they don't. its a joke. you run the horse to prove it. as if mike smith saying so validates it. its just so stupid of an argument. talk is, well...just that. the other horse ran halfway across the country in races she had no business winning, your horse DID NOT. thats the difference. you can name 18 races the "zenyatta" it won't matter. you should of run when you could of but you didn't. even if i thought zenyatta was faster, which i do. you didn't do it, you stayed home..ALL YEAR.....oh well...tiz life. thats the message that should be sent to her connections.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Gulfstream Park

“Lady’s Secret was a great mare herself. She won the (Breeders’ Cup) Distaff here in 1986 and went on to be named Horse of the Year, but what Zenyatta did here against the best horses in the world is something none of us who witnessed it will ever forget."

You're d**n right Lady's Secret was a great mare herself, here's a few fun facts about the daughter of Secretariat:

Race record 45-25-9-3 for earnings of $3,021,425

Won at 9 different racetracks (Bel,Hol,Dmr,SA,BM,Aqu,Mth,OP,Sar)

Won on 4 different track conditions (fst,gd,sly,my)

Won at distances from 5F to 10F

Seven times ran against males (only winning the 1986 Woodward)

In 1986 ran in the Whitney on Aug 2nd, the Iselin on Aug 16th and the Woodward on Aug 30th.

I'm sorry but you mean they couldn't give Zenyatta a race of her own but had to take it away from Lady's Secret. (pathetic)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Idlewild Airport

I think they should name a race after California Flag.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Churchill Downs

The Iron Lady would have smoked Zenyatta.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
"One of the greatest horses of all time"?????????
Pleeeeaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeee
You're still bummed about this.

Pleeeeaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeeeee
Old 11-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

hate to see lady's secret taken off a stakes race.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Goodwood

Has a horse ever come back from retirement to win a race named after him/her?

Zenyatta by 5 in the Zenyatta....
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

I think that's part of the problem. She was on that track less than a month ago and now there is a race there named after her?

I'm not a monster fan of naming a race for Barbaro...but at least he was dead, thus making it a memorial. Zenyatta is barely a normally spaced layoff away from another race...and she already has a race named after her? It's awkward.

And as to the person who said they weren't happy that the Sir Barton was renamed...at least you can't say you were upset because of all the times you saw Sir Barton run, in person.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Idlewild Airport

But see on the West Coast, Zenyatta is a religion and this move may sway spine free voters in her direction.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

Zenyatta wouldn't beat a 5 claimer by five nevermind a 50k claimer. That isnt her way ..
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
The Iron Lady would have smoked Zenyatta.
stay clear of the california weed.......
Old 11-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Why is it that day after day, week after week, we have to listen to these fools out west make their pitch for HOY honors for Zenyatta while RA's camp sits back, says nothing and lets her record do the talking? This is actually getting pretty sickening, the drooling over this horse. It took a couple weeks for me to go from actually liking and rooting for the horse to absolutely despising her because of the nonsense that comes out of the connections mouths and the track and fans alike.
Ya, cause everything has to be political. Wonder what you will say when they give RA a race of her own (and she will surley get one). Zenyatta connections never said that she should get HOY as they kept quiet about the subject when asked. Its not like the Moss's campaigned to get the race named after her anyways. Just wait when RA steps on to the track and wins another, then you will have people gushing over her.

What nonsense are you talking about anyways?? You blame people for liking Zenyatta?? RA and Zenyatta brought new and more enthusiastic fan base this year to the tracks. Instead of embracing the fact that Horse Racing got a boost by these two great horses, you meanwhile find it sickening.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Fairgrounds

I find this development truly distasteful, and I seem to be in the minority of players who don't have an aversion to synthetics or the West Coast. I guess after a few days they realized having a G.I with her name on it could not be bad for future business-friendships, respect and tradition aside.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 AM
The Curragh

I find it disrespectful to Lady's Secret. At least wait 5 years or so.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I find it disrespectful to Lady's Secret. At least wait 5 years or so.
This is a central point in the wrong-headedness of renaming stakes. Whether it's naming this race for Zenyatta, or let's say the Kilroe Mile after Bobby Frankel, you effectively diminish the accomplishments of the previous moniker-holder and quash the intended honor of the entire process. It demonstrates complete and utter disregard for the history of the sport. As I said last night, by doing this, it says that when a horse comes along better than Zenyatta in 20 years, they'd paint over Zenyatta too... It's a self-defeating action that cheapens what should be your most sacrosanct events. It's pathetic.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:40 AM
Saratoga

For those Cappers not scoring 800 on their Verbal
sacrosanct = "most sacred or holy"