Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-07-2007, 09:44 AM
top predator.

Quiet Resolve...Canadian HOY

http://news.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=37445
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Saratoga

Jump in peace, beautiful boy.

From Racing Post...
http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/splash.sd

Sad conclusion to Venn dream
by Bruce Jackson

THE colourful career of the Oliver Carter–owned Venn Ottery has taken a final, fatal twist, with confirmation on Sunday that the 12-year-old had to be destroyed after fracturing his pelvis for a second time at Newbury on Saturday.

There had been some pre-race concern over the chaser, whose form had declined dramatically in point-to-points, being asked to compete with the stars in the Grade 2 Game Spirit Chase.

Champion trainer Paul Nicholls, who saddled Venn Ottery to his only four victories, in a three-week spell in 2004, called it "an utter disgrace" in his Racing Post column on Saturday. And on Sunday he added: “When he goes a mile and a half, pulls up and then has to be put down afterwards, it’s terribly sad for the horse. I felt very strongly about him running and hopefully there will be some lessons learned from it.”

That remark was directed towards the Horseracing Regulatory Authority, and the HRA’s spokesman Paul Struthers confirmed that events surrounding Saturday's debacle would be investigated further.

Sent off 200-1, Venn Ottery trailed round in last until pulled up by Andrew Glassonbury when tailed off at the top of the home straight. He was taken to a local veterinary practice for X-rays on his back and pelvis.

They revealed he had fractured his pelvis in a different place to before, and vets decided to end what had become a controversial career.

This sad, final chapter is sure to reopen the debate over no-hopers competing in Graded races - the Game Spirit won by Well Chief was Grade 2 in name but Grade 1 in nature.

Sue Gardner, Venn Ottery’s registered trainer, admitted that she had been against running, but owner and permit holder Oliver Carter had insisted.

Carter had similarly stepped in in 2005, when overruling Nicholls to enter his pride and joy in both the Champion Chase, for which Carter forgot to declare the tongue-strap, and Gold Cup.

Venn Ottery finished 35 lengths seventh of eight to Moscow Flyer in the former, and was pulled up behind Kicking King in the latter.

A distressed Gardner said on Sunday: “What's happened is heartbreaking. It was unfortunate as it could have happened on the gallops and, as I had instructed, his jockey at Newbury was not pushing him.

“But he should not have been in that race. I didn’t enter him or declare him – Oliver insisted that the horse ran and I tried to persuade him not to run.

“If I hadn’t turned up with the horse, I would have been fined. I told him the ground was too soft and the race too hot, and he said he would take the horse to the races if I didn’t, and then slammed the phone down.”

Struthers said on Sunday: “If the trainer suggests one thing and the owner has taken a decision that is not in the best interests of the welfare of the horse, that is something we would have to look at.

"We rely on the integrity of trainers to know if horses are fit to continue racing and we are satisfied they do.

"In this case Venn Ottery was entitled to run and we must be very careful about intervening if a trainer wants to run.”

The HRA doeshave the power to withdraw horses, which it enforced at last year’s Cheltenham Festival, when the Fergus Wilson-trained Astonville and Turnium, who had both run in the Champion Hurdle, were withdrawn four hours before the Gold Cup after being inspected by the Jockey Club vets at the track.

Venn Ottery, after 23 successive defeats, shot into the limelight during a meteoric rise under Nicholls, who was sent the 80-rated chaser by Carter and guided his rating to a high of 149.

He finished fifth to stablemate Azertyuiop in the 2004 Champion Chase and was still running creditably the following spring, when he finished seventh to Katarino in the Fox Hunters at Aintree, when trained by Martin Pipe.

In Saturday’s contest, his subsequent decline was reflected in a rating of 120 - but that mark was not the lowest in the race, and the vet on duty checked Venn Ottery as a matter of course as he was having his first run for a new trainer, and was wearing a tongue-tie.

Going into the contest, his form, taking into account point-to-points and hunter chases, read 'PFPFFF70' - but the HRA had no reason to act, as his record under rules was a rather more encouraging-looking '477PF70'.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Saratoga

Windicator, who was 2nd in Race 7 at Happy Valley today (Hong Kong)..... collapsed and died right after the race.

Rest in peace, sweet boy.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Saratoga

Walter Ringer.....

Won at Bay Meadows a couple of days ago, pulled up right after.....

Run in peace.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
greedy bastard pos
You got that right.

Truckers Tavern and Lordofourown.....

Jump in peace.

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...lead_Corr.html
Old 02-25-2007, 01:38 AM
Saratoga

Tropical Star, in Dubai.....

A shame.

Rest in peace.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/mas...nal%20Carnival
Old 02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Saratoga

More sad news from Dubai.....

Rest in peace.

Zabeel Stables’ Brazilian champion Tudo Azul euthanized

Tudo Azul, two-year-old male champion in Brazil for 2005-’06, who was purchased last season to race in Dubai for Sheikh Rashid bin Mohammed Al Maktoum’s Zabeel Stables, was euthanized last week after a long battle with an intestinal infection.

“The first 10 days after he arrived from the US where we purchased him, he arrived with pneumonia,” explained his trainer Satish Seemar.

“He was treated but then had a relapse with us when we were hardly training him, and he developed an intestinal infection and could not absorb any food.”

The three-year-old son of Boatman had joined Seemar’s stable last fall after winning four of five starts in his native Brazil for owner Luis Felipe Brandao Dos Santos’s Stud Eternamente Rio.

Victories included the Grande Premio Associacao Brasileira dos Criadores e Proprietarios do Cavalo de Corrida (Brz-G1) in Rio de Janeiro and the Grande Premio Ipiranga (Brz-G1) (Brazilian Two Thousand Guineas), the first leg of Sao Paulo’s Jockey Club Quadruple Crown series for three-year-old colts on the turf.

“Our plan was to nominate him for the UAE Derby - he would have been the perfect type for the Derby, unless, of course, he proved himself better on the turf,” added Seemar.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Saratoga

Sad news.....

From TT.

Candy Stripes dies of colic at age 25

by Pete Denk

Candy Stripes, the sire of America’s reigning Horse of the Year Invasor (Arg), died at Haras Carampangue, in San Antonio de Areco, Argentina, due to colic on Wednesday at age 25.

A two-time leading sire in Argentina, Candy Stripes also is the sire of 2005 champion grass horse Leroidesanimeaux (Brz) and the broodmare sire of Candy Ride (Arg), who retired undefeated after being named Argentina’s champion miler of 2003 and winning all three of his American starts, including a track-record performance in the Pacific Classic Stakes (G1) at Del Mar.

Candy Stripes has sired ten champions in America, Argentina, Canada, and South Africa. From 1,010 foals of racing age, Candy Stripes has 465 winners, 59 stakes winners, and 43 group or graded winners. His progeny earnings are $28,843,164.

A winner of two of six starts in two seasons, Candy Stripes earned $47,357, finishing second in the 1985 Poule D’Essai des Poulains (French Two Thousand Guineas) (Fr-G1).

By Blushing Groom (Fr) and out of the Lyphard mare Bubble Company (Fr), Candy Stripes was bred in Kentucky by Allen Cowen.

He stood at Haras La Quedabra in Argentina from 1988 to 1996. After spending four years in America, he returned to South America following the 2000 breeding season.

Rest in peace.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Saratoga

Bright One.....

So sad. Fly with the angels.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Saratoga

Voulez Vous.....

Run in peace, good girl.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Voulez Vous.....

Run in peace, good girl.
RIP baby girl....hated seeing her break down today.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:52 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Bright One.....

So sad. Fly with the angels.
RIP champ...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Saratoga

Blue on Blues, who was to run today at Nad Al Sheba.

A sad week in Dubai.....

Run in peace.

'Real favourite' Blue On Blues dies

Tragedy struck Satish Seemar’s yard this week when one of his most popular horses in training Blue On Blues died.

The Argentine-bred performer made his debut for the Seemar operation in December 2005 and went on to win on four of his 12 starts for the leading UAE trainer.

His final victory was earned on his penultimate start last month, when he won a valuable handicap at the Dubai International Racing Carnival at Nad Al Sheba.

“It was devastating,” said Seemar. “He was a real favourite and it’s made everyone very sad. It was a suspected heart attack at the yard, and there was nothing we could do.

“He was so consistent, always gave his all, and was becoming a bit of favourite for the public too.”

The son of Lode had won three of his five starts this season and was due to run at tonight’s DIRC meeting.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Saratoga

Always Happy, Saturday night in Hong Kong, and My Snookies Boy, yesterday.....

Run in peace.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:13 PM
top predator.

Quote:

Run in peace.
Back when he ran 2nd in the Haskell I was friends with one of his owners...I remember how excited he was about the race.
Sad...
Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Newmarket

Quote:

Run in peace.
Any news on King's Drama?

Too bad about Snooky at one time he was a player in the three year old division, sad ending.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
top predator.

G1SW Chelsey Flower, euthanized due to foaling complications
Old 03-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Saratoga

Old Thunder..... euthanized on Feb. 23rd.

Run in peace.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:23 AM
top predator.

Bright Candles, dam of Grand Slam, euthanized after suffering a ruptured uterine artery foaling she was 20.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Newmarket

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
Bright Candles, dam of Grand Slam, euthanized after suffering a ruptured uterine artery foaling she was 20.
By the way, who are the two cuties in your avatar?

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/