Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2018, 12:28 PM
Oriental Park

Default Taking your kids to the track

Does anyone have advice for taking your kids to the race track?

I have two daughters, both under 3 years old, and I’d like to take them to the racetrack at some point. I’m just not sure when. It’s somethng that I always look back on as good memories with my own dad and both of my grandfathers. I’d love for it to be something that I can share with them.

What is a good age to take your kids to the track for the first time? And what is a good track to do it at? I’m in New Jersey and can pretty easily get to Parx, Delaware Park, and Monmouth Park. Parx is the closest but my initial inclination is to take them somewhere nicer than that.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:02 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post

I have two daughters, both under 3 years old, and I’d like to take them to the racetrack at some point. I’m just not sure when. It’s somethng that I always look back on as good memories with my own dad and both of my grandfathers. I’d love for it to be something that I can share with them.

What is a good age to take your kids to the track for the first time? And what is a good track to do it at? I’m in New Jersey and can pretty easily get to Parx, Delaware Park, and Monmouth Park. Parx is the closest but my initial inclination is to take them somewhere nicer than that.

I used to take my sons to the track before they could talk. I'd tell my wife I was taking him to the Park, I really wasnt lying because we would go to Monmouth Park. Once they could talk, they would rat me out. It depends what you are trying to get out of it. But usually at the end of the day it was frustrating cause the kids would get tired and or bored and I would miss something while trying to handicap on the fly. Now God is punishing me cause both of them can't stand the thought of going and nothing would make me happier than to see them take a little interest in it and want to spend the day with their old man at the track.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Havre de Grace

I don't think I would take any little kids to the track. When they get older, if they get bored they can always play with their I-phones or I-pads which is pretty much what they do 24-7 anyway. My "kids," if you want to call them that are 43 and 45 years old. My son would go, if I asked him to, but he has no real interest in the sport and my daughter might go too, if I asked her, but the races to her are more of a social thing that she likes to do with her friends and not something that she really wants to learn something about. She is an OB/GYN and has a pretty grueling work schedule so can't blame her for wanting to just relax at the track and knock back a few glasses of wine with her women buddies.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I used to take my sons to the track before they could talk. I'd tell my wife I was taking him to the Park, I really wasnt lying because we would go to Monmouth Park. Once they could talk, they would rat me out. It depends what you are trying to get out of it. But usually at the end of the day it was frustrating cause the kids would get tired and or bored and I would miss something while trying to handicap on the fly. Now God is punishing me cause both of them can't stand the thought of going and nothing would make me happier than to see them take a little interest in it and want to spend the day with their old man at the track.
"I'm taking them to the park"...hilarious!
Old 06-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post

Delaware has the nice picnic grounds where lots of families congregate..

Monmouth is family-friendly as well including the miniature golf course.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

Parx is what? Chopped Liver?!?

"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Fairgrounds

Postpone for 6 weeks...

Either AA or SWA from Philadelphia International to San Diego Charles Lindbergh Field

Del Mar Thoroughbred Club 2260 Jimmy Durante Dr.
(Infield on weekends is amazing for kids)

San Diego Zoo
Seaworld
Legoland
Gaslamp District
The Beach

Extremely low chance of precipitation and high humidity
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone View Post
"I'm taking them to the park"...hilarious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
“Going to the park.” That really is classic.

I’m thinking I’ll get all my selections figured out the morning of, make all my bets early on and not do any “on the fly” handicapping. Easier said than done though.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

Thanks Steve. I’ve been to Monmouth and love it there. I’ve never noticed but I’m also told Monmouth Park has some sort of family day on certain sundays. I’m not sure how true that is.

I’ll keep Delaware Park in mind though. We go down to the Wilmington, DE area a few times a year but I’ve never been. It’s good to know that it has a nice picnic area.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Postpone for 6 weeks...

Either AA or SWA from Philadelphia International to San Diego Charles Lindbergh Field

Del Mar Thoroughbred Club 2260 Jimmy Durante Dr.
(Infield on weekends is amazing for kids)

San Diego Zoo
Seaworld
Legoland
Gaslamp District
The Beach

Extremely low chance of precipitation and high humidity
Haha. That would be ideal but I’m probably going to have to postpone longer than 6 weeks to afford a trip like that. Or else I probably wouldn’t have enough of a bankroll to enjoy myself.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
I don't think I would take any little kids to the track. When they get older, if they get bored they can always play with their I-phones or I-pads which is pretty much what they do 24-7 anyway. My "kids," if you want to call them that are 43 and 45 years old. My son would go, if I asked him to, but he has no real interest in the sport and my daughter might go too, if I asked her, but the races to her are more of a social thing that she likes to do with her friends and not something that she really wants to learn something about. She is an OB/GYN and has a pretty grueling work schedule so can't blame her for wanting to just relax at the track and knock back a few glasses of wine with her women buddies.
Hmm. I may wait a while. Though I should say - my 2 year old knows how to use an iPhone and tablet already. It’s both amazing and frightening to see her play on them.