Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocksLocks View Post
Not sure if it would have mattered but Florent def had other intentions than winning the race-watch the NBC broadcast again--after the race Mike Smith was pointing and yelling to Florent, "you're the man!" Why does Mike think Florent is the man after that race?
That "you're the man" is delivered at 2:55.37. http://stream.nbcsports.com/horse-racing/belmont-stakes You can in no way tell to whom this was said. Could be at a non-jockey. Stop spreading rumors. I don't think it really makes sense from what seems to be the proximity of the other runners and the time it's taking to turn Justify around with the outrider and come back that Mike would've yelled anything at Florent. If that pink blur was Florent off in the distance, I'm not sure Mike would've expected to be heard.

I don't agree that Florent definitely had other intentions (as in wasn't trying to win). Yes it ran interference for Justify in a way, but I think RH was in the right place for the Belmont if he was gonna be good enough at 12 furlongs. He wasn't, but you gotta try if you're actually trying to win. RH needed to be closer to the pace in the Belmont than the Derby. Gronkowski's race was unusual. A horse hasn't done last to first(-ish, since he didn't win) since 2006. Expecting a come from behind surge or grinding wasn't gonna work. Gary West couldn't have thought RH was gonna win, but if he's gonna insist on trying to, you gotta do what Florent did.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
If this has already been discussed here, I apologize. Did anyone else have a problem with Geroux on the other Baffert in the Belmont? He basically ensured a slower pace while impacting horses such as tenfold and Bravazo and it appeared to be intentional.

In my opinion, it was shady at best especially when you consider the magnitude of the event. If the horse is good enough, why the tricks?
Dalakhani!

How you be?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Detroit Race Course

There were only real race horses in the race - they ran 1-2.
The rest, pathetic bunch of also-rans.

They will win races in the future, when they stop chasing champions.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Santa Anita

Old 06-12-2018, 07:49 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Javy said after the race that he didnt have enough to press the pace.
The bottom line is, there wasnt one horse that was fast enough the 3 TC races to stay with Justify and or soften him up for the rest of the field. The one horse that did stay with him was Promises Fulfilled who came back to run huge in the Woody Stephens. At the end of the day, the best horse won the TC.
Well put.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Javy said after the race that he didnt have enough to press the pace.
The bottom line is, there wasnt one horse that was fast enough the 3 TC races to stay with Justify and or soften him up for the rest of the field. The one horse that did stay with him was Promises Fulfilled who came back to run huge in the Woody Stephens. At the end of the day, the best horse won the TC.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:12 PM
Churchill Downs

When I mentioned the fact that Baffert had 2 runners weeks BEFORE the race it didn't get much of a look.....hmmmm.

#147 Report Post

05-23-2018, 11:36 PM

Justify (Baffert)
Bravazo (Lukas)
Tenfold (Asmussen)
Vino Rosso (Pletcher)
Blended Citizen (O'Neill)
Hofburg (Mott)
Gronkowski (C. Brown)
Free Drop Billy (Romans)
Restoring Hope (Baffert)

Audible (Pletcher)
Bandua (D. Weld)

thats a nice lineup. Can make a case for a few of them.

...and why is he running a horse against himself?
Old 06-15-2018, 06:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
When I mentioned the fact that Baffert had 2 runners weeks BEFORE the race it didn't get much of a look.....hmmmm.

#147 Report Post

05-23-2018, 11:36 PM

Justify (Baffert)
Bravazo (Lukas)
Tenfold (Asmussen)
Vino Rosso (Pletcher)
Blended Citizen (O'Neill)
Hofburg (Mott)
Gronkowski (C. Brown)
Free Drop Billy (Romans)
Restoring Hope (Baffert)

Audible (Pletcher)
Bandua (D. Weld)

thats a nice lineup. Can make a case for a few of them.

...and why is he running a horse against himself?
With all due respect RB, I believe your question has been answered several times on various threads....the owners made that decision and from what I have heard, when they day do, those that work for them...do.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:41 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
With all due respect RB, I believe your question has been answered several times on various threads....the owners made that decision and from what I have heard, when they day do, those that work for them...do.

True but now people are saying there was some sort of "fix" in because of the 2 runners.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:28 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
True but now people are saying there was some sort of "fix" in because of the 2 runners.
The only attempted "fix" was from Repole and it didn't work out so now he's pissed. Why no criticism of that before the race? He chose two enter them both to help Vino Rosso. The Wests wanted to enter their horse and Baffert doesn't have much of a say so no, that wasn't fishy pre-race. They weren't trying to help Justify, they wanted to win or at least place. Repole wanted to try to wear out the horse going for the TC for his own success. Much worse, but in neither alleged "fix" was it really a fix. In both cases they were race riding even if it was true.

If RH is gonna be up there, even if it isn't about helping Justify, why would he want to let another horse get up and lose position? He's gonna block anybody he can anyway.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
And means that means there was?
Who cares what "they" say?

It is not at all unusual for a trainer to have two runners in the same race.
Do "they" understand this idea?

Some people say all races are fixed. Are "they correct?"
Old 06-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
And means that means there was?
Who cares what "they" say?

It is not at all unusual for a trainer to have two runners in the same race.
Do "they" understand this idea?

Some people say all races are fixed. Are "they correct?"
I wasn't saying that the Belmont or any other race was "fixed" in any way. I prefer to think that"fixed" races are a rarity and not a habit for a sport that I love. However considering what was on the line I found the other Baffert entry odd.

Maybe I'm wrong? Not crying about it.

Wonder what that conversation was like?

Owner: Hey Bob! I know you are trying to win the triple crown again and become iconic but I want you to train and enter RH. I want you to do everything you can to win with my horse. I want to win the Belmont stakes Bob. Please! It has been a long time passion to win this race Bob. I know you are the best trainer in the sport and I know you can bring RH home to victory!

Bob: OK!

or He could have said...

Owner: Bob, I know RH can win the Belmont stakes. However out of respect and thanks for training my horses so well and the fact that you are trying to achieve something greater, I am not going to put you in the awkward position of having to beat yourself for the Triple Crown. You deserve this Bob! I will cheer you on and hope you win with Justify and we can have a drink when its done.

Bob: Thanks!

That was an option but hey! I guess not.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:48 AM
Del Mar

As I said in the other thread, there has been somewhat of a history of rabbits in big races. So I don't think too much can be said about that.

But there is a difference between a rabbit and a horse who is supposed to in some way impede other horses. If you don't believe me, call the stewards at one of the big tracks and ask them if it is permissible for you to enter a rabbit in a race, along with your other horse. The chances are they will say yes. Call the stewards another time and tell them you are planning on entering a horse in a race that you think has a good chance to win. But you want to also enter another horse whose job it will be to fan the competition wide and maybe even put one of the contenders in a tight spot, if possible (to help your other horse). I guarantee they will tell you that that would be totally illegal and that you could be in big trouble for doing that. If you didn't ask them first but did that and then admitted to it after the race, you would probably be in for a big fine and suspension.

There is no proof that Baffert told Geroux to try to fan some of the competition wide or put someone in tight to help Justify. We have no evidence that any such conversation took place. So I'm not claiming that anyone should be in trouble. There has to be some proof. As of right now, there is no proof. People can only speculate what might have been said. But it certainly looked a little bit fishy, to say the least.