Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Nowadays a Grade 1 at 10 furlongs on the main is very rare, down to just 5 races in North America. The Gold Cup is probably the easiest to win (though the Big Cap is making great strides in that direction). City of Light already owns a Grade 1 win at 7 furlongs this year. If he pulls it off tomorrow, knowing the internet, there will be comparisons to Dr. Fager or...dare I say...Forego.

As icing on the cake, such a win would also potentially exempt him from having to run in the BC Classic if he doesn't overwhelm at the distance, since the BC has made it easier to duck with the advent of the BC Dirt Mile. In addition, I think this race will determine whether he targets the Pacific Classic next or ships for the Whitney and/or the Woodward.

A Grade 1 winner (in a single season) between 7 and 10 furlongs is a good qualification for HOY and for a stallion prospect. This would be moot if Justify wins the Triple Crown, but City of Light would still have a shot at 2 Eclipse awards.
Homer.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:33 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Homer.
I left it out, but I would like to see City of Light end up in both the Whitney and Woodward, so I hope he's an underwhelming winner tomorrow. I've never been impressed by the Pacific Classic. Besides the inaugural edition, there hasn't really been a memorable running other than Cigar's winning streak getting stuffed...and most people probably don't remember that fondly...
Old 05-26-2018, 03:39 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
I left it out, but I would like to see City of Light end up in both the Whitney and Woodward, so I hope he's an underwhelming winner tomorrow. I've never been impressed by the Pacific Classic. Besides the inaugural edition, there hasn't really been a memorable running other than Cigar's winning streak getting stuffed...and most people probably don't remember that fondly...
Candy Ride vs MDO?!
Old 05-26-2018, 07:58 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Candy Ride vs MDO?!
It was a track record performance, but it was a very short field (4 horses) and Candy Ride was basically unheralded at the time (though considerably hyped in CA) and then never started again. No Mineshaft, no Congaree, no Perfect Drift.

The odds-on Medaglia D'Oro had been bouncing around all year, cherry picking spots and taking 2-4 months between starts and failed yet again to see out a classic distance.

On top of that, it wasn't much of a confrontation. Candy Ride won by open lengths.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:53 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Sorry if my message was snidely delivered, or perceived, but the thought that Audible (Into Mischief/Blue Devil Bel-Gilded Time) would have been the pre-eminent threat to Justify ~ he's not running ~ was preposterous.
I didn't write anything that even remotely suggested that I thought Audible "would have been the pre-eminent threat to Justify".
Old 05-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Nowadays a Grade 1 at 10 furlongs on the main is very rare, down to just 5 races in North America. The Gold Cup is probably the easiest to win (though the Big Cap is making great strides in that direction). City of Light already owns a Grade 1 win at 7 furlongs this year. If he pulls it off tomorrow, knowing the internet, there will be comparisons to Dr. Fager or...dare I say...Forego.

As icing on the cake, such a win would also potentially exempt him from having to run in the BC Classic if he doesn't overwhelm at the distance, since the BC has made it easier to duck with the advent of the BC Dirt Mile. In addition, I think this race will determine whether he targets the Pacific Classic next or ships for the Whitney and/or the Woodward.

A Grade 1 winner (in a single season) between 7 and 10 furlongs is a good qualification for HOY and for a stallion prospect. This would be moot if Justify wins the Triple Crown, but City of Light would still have a shot at 2 Eclipse awards.
Also the Met Mile, which was foolishly moved from Memorial Day, when it was huge, to being just another race on Belmont Day, doesn’t mean as much now.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Also the Met Mile, which was foolishly moved from Memorial Day, when it was huge, to being just another race on Belmont Day, doesn’t mean as much now.
Yes, the Met Mile means less as a stallion maker now because it was moved to Belmont Day....as opposed to when it was held on a day when pretty much everyone is at a barbecue.

It might be time for you to move on from me. Do some soul searching.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Havre de Grace

That was to Rollo. Not you , or Chad, or Todd.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:07 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
No. The owner of Secretariat did not keep any of her other horses out of the Belmont so that Secretariat would have a better chance to win.

http://www.drf.com/news/common-owner...belmont-stakes
👌🏻
Old 05-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywizard View Post
Lost in all of these accusations is the fact that Audible had distance questions coming into the Derby...He got the setup of a lifetime and a brilliant ride and still came up short.

The Belmont is obviously further and he's unlikely to get another setup based on the probables...

Instead of assuming Audible wins the Belmont, maybe consider that it's more likely he finishes out of the Super and diminishes his current Stud value...
We will never know because the owners are holding him out. All horse racing is a gamble. Seems like Justify should have faced alll logical candidates.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I'm not sure that the Met Mile ceases to be huge simply because it is shifted a couple of weeks further into the calendar.

The positives outweigh the negatives with the move. Firstly, in this day of waning public and media interest (no more Budweiser Racing Across America on ESPN), tacking it onto a loaded Belmont Stakes day might be a form of self-preservation. Mega-stables pretty much control the vast majority of top horses and might toss an older horse into such a race if they have a contender for the featured Belmont Stakes. For example, would Hoppertunity show up for the Brooklyn--as opposed to today's Gold Cup at SA--if Baffert didn't have Justify pointing to the Belmont?

Secondly, Belmont can capitalize and highlight the return of the previous year's Triple Crown contenders if they race in big events on the same day as the current year's Classic. For example, prior Belmont winners Palace Malice and Tonalist returned at 4 on the Belmont undercard and took the Met Mile. That might open the door for a casual springtime fan to consider that these horses have careers beyond the Triple Crown...and maybe they'll be yearlong fans instead. Churchill does this with its older horse stakes on their Derby and Oaks days with the Alysheba and La Troienne.

Thirdly, moving the Met Mile fills a decades long gap in the NYRA stakes schedule where there was not an older horse stakes of sufficient importance in the month of June. In the past, they tried to bolster the Nassau County Handicap to fill the void, but it died along with the American Championship Racing Series. The Met Mile in early June fits rather nicely against the up-and-coming Westchester, which is quickly becoming a popular comeback race for the previous season's top horses. This year, Preakness winner Cloud Computing made an aborted comeback attempt, and in prior years horses like Palace Malice, Tonalist, Connect, To Honor And Serve, and Flat Out have used the race as a tune up for the Met and further beyond.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:00 PM
Havre de Grace

Memorial Day weekend = Indy 500 & Met Mile. I'm just a dinosaur, I guess. Belmont Day was always a stellar card. They didn't need or want the Met Mile taking attention away from the big race.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rverge View Post
i agree in part, but does one think JUSTIFY is like or better then AMERICAN PHAROAH?
He'll prove it on June 9 if Baffert has him ready and Mike rides like Mike rides. With them both and an equine like Justify its hard to think of another result than etching his name on the list of true greats.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:13 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Memorial Day weekend = Indy 500 & Met Mile. I'm just a dinosaur, I guess. Belmont Day was always a stellar card. They didn't need or want the Met Mile taking attention away from the big race.
Agree with this. Doesn’t change the stallion making of the Met Mile whatsoever though.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Agree with this. Doesn’t change the stallion making of the Met Mile whatsoever though.
The "stallion making" quality of the Met Mile has dropped off considerably since the late '90s.

Since Langfuhr in 1997, only the somewhat slow starters Ghostzapper and Quality Road have emerged as top stallions.

We'll see what recent winners Palace Malice, Honor Code, and Frosted can do.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:17 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
The "stallion making" quality of the Met Mile has dropped off considerably since the late '90s.

Since Langfuhr in 1997, only the somewhat slow starters Ghostzapper and Quality Road have emerged as top stallions.

We'll see what recent winners Palace Malice, Honor Code, and Frosted can do.
I bet Honor Code is a good sire.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
I'm feeling that if Audible and Noble Indy are kept out of the Belmont in order to help Justify's chances, then there ought to be an asterisk next to Justify's TC, should he in fact win it versus the reduced competition.
HERE HERE..I SECOND THAT EMOTION

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME A COLT HAD HIS CAREER TRUNCATED BY THE SAME OWNERSHIP GROUP TO MAKE ANOTHER OF THEIRS APPEAR BETTER THAN HE MIGHT REALLY BE.

THIS IS WRONG..IT IS GREED
AND IT DOES NOTHING FOR THE FANS OR THE SPORT BY FALSELY GIVING JUSTIY A CHANCE TO WIN THE TC,.

WRONG WRONG WRONG..

SHAME ON THE OWNERS FOR CHEATING THE SPORT IN THIS MANNER
Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff View Post
well said Nick!
You and nick are both idiots
Old 06-07-2018, 09:57 AM
Tropical Park

so whats the matter with vinno.
he won the wood on the track, skipped the preak...yet there's no love for the liquor
at 8 to 1...hmmm

i like him on the board

Bravazo is getting a lot of attention and low odds to boot...dont know if he warrants those odds.

justify ..bob thought he was a good sprinter till they put him on the trail..there are legitimate questions surrounding his pedigree and stamina.
but i will not exclude him from the super ticket...if they run a double rabbit..first to 6f..then another to 9f..he will definitely cave.

and if justify wins the TC its a hollow victory,,the same folks who own justify own AUDIBLE who has a legit shot at defeating justify here.
I can't ever recall a situation were a good colt has his career twisted like audibles to make another colt look better than he might possibly be..can you ?

====

BOLT IN THE MET MILE...HUH ?

wouldn't he be better off with a win ion the 7f colt race..gr2..woody stephens i think its called

good day for racing only problem is , the day is not on a payday wekend like the derby and preak.

got 15 bucks at tvg..i'll see where the day takes me, if i have cash for the belmont by 5:45..i'll bet.
i can't fund tvg today..so lets hope i can turn my 15 into 50 by 5 oclock
Old 06-07-2018, 11:22 AM
The Curragh

1. Vino won the Wood at Aqueduct, not Belmont.
2. Baffert always thought Justify was a router...he thought he could win the KD before even running in his maiden race.
3. Audible winning would be nearly impossible being that he’s not even in training right now.