Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Del Mar

If anybody would be interested in renting a small house for any weekend of Saratoga track season this year, let me know. I have a freind at work looking to rent his place for weekends.

Those DT'ers looking to come up this year should really think about pitching in and getting his place.

I will have price information if you want it.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
If anybody would be interested in renting a small house for any weekend of Saratoga track season this year, let me know. I have a freind at work looking to rent his place for weekends.

Those DT'ers looking to come up this year should really think about pitching in and getting his place.

I will have price information if you want it.
Gander, can you PM me with the info? Thanks.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Del Mar

Yes. I just spoke to him, he is a very good friend of mine.
The price will depend on who it is renting it. I was thinking that it would be perfect for like yourself, Scavs, Curt and anyone else thinking they were coming up here opening weekend. Its not huge, but it will work.

The best is the location...very close to the track. 5 minute walk at most. Maybe even less than that.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yes. I just spoke to him, he is a very good friend of mine.
The price will depend on who it is renting it. I was thinking that it would be perfect for like yourself, Scavs, Curt and anyone else thinking they were coming up here opening weekend. Its not huge, but it will work.

The best is the location...very close to the track. 5 minute walk at most. Maybe even less than that.
Awesome... thanks for the info.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Del Mar

I will need you guys to collaborate and get me a head count of whos in and whos not. He has other people interested and needs some sort of commitment within the next month.

I cant stress enough how hard it is to get hotels near the track. Virtually impossible unless you want to pay $350-400 a night. Most people opt to stay somewhere within driving distance but to get the full experience, if you can stay at a place where you dont have to drive at all its huge.

Again, the price will depend on how many are staying.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:13 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I will need you guys to collaborate and get me a head count of whos in and whos not. He has other people interested and needs some sort of commitment within the next month.

I cant stress enough how hard it is to get hotels near the track. Virtually impossible unless you want to pay $350-400 a night. Most people opt to stay somewhere within driving distance but to get the full experience, if you can stay at a place where you dont have to drive at all its huge.

Again, the price will depend on how many are staying.
Where is Kev staying? I mean, who all is for sure going? If we're talking about opening weekend, that's when I'm going.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Del Mar

From what I know, its Kev, Scavs and Curt for sure. Maybe Dell, but he would probably be staying with his buddies from Chicago in a hotel like last year. Kev stayed with me but my place is very small and I will leave it up to him on whether he might want to stay in this house instead.

I live about a 10 min walk from the track and this place is half that distance.

But yes, it is opening weekend for sure. I would assume you would want this place at least Friday & Saturday night. That would work out fine.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
From what I know, its Kev, Scavs and Curt for sure. Maybe Dell, but he would probably be staying with his buddies from Chicago in a hotel like last year. Kev stayed with me but my place is very small and I will leave it up to him on whether he might want to stay in this house instead.

But yes, it is opening weekend for sure. I would assume you would want this place at least Friday & Saturday night. That would work out fine.
From what I know right now, Dell might be able to help me on the hotel situation, but I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Woodbine

If money is no problem, then book Saratoga, if you want to save some cash, stay in Latham. Only 20 minutes to the track, if you leave real early, or expect to wait on the Northway, and Broadway. Siro's is must stop, if you never been there, but over rated in my opinion. Cans only, no glass. If you want a table, get the at 6:30, put a cover on it, then you can leave and come back, nobody will mess with your table.

See ya in August

Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM
NJ Doug

Default Saratoga Places

The Parting Glass is a decent Irish Pub that a few of the Jockey's, Trainers, & Exercise Riders frequent in the evenings during the meet.
On Nelson Ave right across from the track is a place to get a decent breakfast after the morning works...not sure but I think the name is The Horseshoe.
In and Around the The Jim Dandy Bar in the clubhouse there are frequently fine two legged filllys with very nice conformation...
Just outside the Jim Dandy is a big sceen monitor that many of the trainers and jockey agents watch the races and replays from...

Last edited by Payson Dave : 02-12-2007 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:12 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

I am not certain on what weekend yet, so don't include me on the head count on the house rental. Also, as long as her health is ok, I am going to bring my Grandmother along. She saw Toga during the ESPN broadcast and made it a point to tell me she wanted to go sometime soon.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Del Mar

I am not certain on what weekend yet, so don't include me on the head count on the house rental. Also, as long as her health is ok, I am going to bring my Grandmother along. She saw Toga during the ESPN broadcast and made it a point to tell me she wanted to go sometime soon.

His place would be perfect for you and your Grandma. You wouldnt have to drive anywhere all weekend once you get to his place. I dont think anyone realizes how hard it is to find hotels here, so I wouldnt wait too long. Hard to get gamblers to want to spend money on anything besides vouchers, I know that!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Keeneland

Yea we're going for sure and will be staying in a hotel though the house sounds great. Some other DTers will be with us but heck it will be one big party at the track and afterwards.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Keeneland

A full-blooded Irishman might fly in from Dublin for this one....
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Randwyck

Been frequenting Saratoga since I was a kid. Virginia in winters. Saratoga for the summer. You might google motels in South Glens Falls. The Horse Shoe bar on Nelson Ave. is another great get-together place after the races. Good food, decent prices, great music, and a young crowd.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:08 AM
MajestikMX

Default Fine Mexican Food with Extra Flair

Just a couple of minutes walk from the track is Leon's Mexican Restaurant owned by Jockey Filiberto Leon. Awesome Margaritas and great food.
Lots of Jocks frequent as well, Met a few last year as well as local legend "BOB M." ( Filiberto's father in law) whom I had great conversations with while enjoying a smoke and a drink out in front watching the fillies go by.
Enjoy, be there opening day with the FP Crew!!!
www.leonsmexicanrestaurant.com
Old 02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
Just a couple of minutes walk from the track is Leon's Mexican Restaurant owned by Jockey Filiberto Leon. Awesome Margaritas and great food.
Lots of Jocks frequent as well, Met a few last year as well as local legend "BOB M." ( Filiberto's father in law) whom I had great conversations with while enjoying a smoke and a drink out in front watching the fillies go by.
you forgot to mention his awesome wife!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Newmarket

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse
Am I invited???

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 PM
MajestikMX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
Am I invited???
Of Course Hoffy!! You just have wheel my cooler back to the lot!!
It's a long walk with a chair, cooler and the form back to the lot.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Jerome Park

Horseplayers LEAVE restaurants when jockeys come in....we certainly don't go looking for them.