Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Steve Byk

Default POST SCRIPT: Sumwon 5-26

Another deliriously fun afternoon at Churchill Downs for the Dee Tee crew and Sumwonlovesyou!!

Most importantly... Sumwon exited her second place effort in Saturday's 7th in fine order: a bit more tired than after her effort in April, but bright, alert and happy to greet the 15+ partners who visited her at Barn 14 afterwards. She ate up last night, and was a picture of health, happiness and soundness Sunday morning.

POSITIVES ABOUND..

Other than hitting the wire first, Sumwonlovesyou's return to allowance company results in nothing but positives, and there are pluses to finishing second in this spot as well (retaining the condition while padding her earnings with a $10,000 check). The sophomore daughter of Came Home and Mysterious Moll continues to learn and improve with every start under the expert direction of Chuck Simon, his staff and Willie Martinez.

DEMONSTRATES TRACTABILITY..

Sumwon added a new attribute to her bag of tricks Saturday, rating willingly and comfortably for Martinez after being used early to gain position into the first turn. Into the backstretch, Martinez followed the script rehearsed with Chuck beforehand, allowing Kooky Kent D. and Dale Roman's $200,000 4yo Phillips Pride to set the pace.

TAKES DIRT FOR FIRST TIME..

Taking dirt in her face for the first time, Sumwon was content to listen to Slick Willie. "She ate a lot of dirt and it didn't bother her a lick," Martinez told Simon after the race. "She wanted to go but let me give her the word when." Approaching the turn, Martinez gave her the 'word', got to the leader effortlessly, and loomed a threat for all the money by the top of the long Churchill lane. That's when the action really got interesting...

STAYS ON BETWEEN HORSES..

As Sumwon tried for the advantage on the front end, Steve Asmussen's Humble Janet was sneaking through on the rail under Shaun Bridgmohan, and a patient Robby Albarado was rallying wide outside on Ralph Nicks' Le Chateau, the even money favorite. As Nicks' Chester House filly and Sumwon tussled as Phillips Pride gave way, Humble Janet grabbed the lead briefly, only to find Sumwon unwilling to allow her to get away.

With horses challenging her left and right, Sumwon addressed the rail runner first as the three came together before the eighth pole. "She took the heart right out of the filly on the rail when we passed her," said Willie, "and she wanted the one outside us too." The top pair edged forward in the next sixteenth, and as in Sumwon's April placing, with every reason to pack it in, Sumwon persevered to the wire. She was a head shy as the camera snapped, but refused to stop running after the finish galloping out past the winner.

MARTINEZ: "She's a sweetheart.."

"Man she's a sweetheart to ride Chuck," Willie smiled on the track apron as he grudgingly accepted the near-miss. "Anything I ask she does, and she tried twice as hard as last time. She took a lot of dirt and didn't flinch.. went and got Kent's horse when I want.. didn't bother when we bumped or shy a bit when we all come together at the top of the stretch. She don't stop trying... We're going to get our wins."

HAPPY PARTNERS.. GROWING FAN BASE..

With partners, their family and friends totaling more than 20, the mood created by Sumwon's performance was ebullient. Additionally, with Chuck's popularity at the Downs, a growing familiarity with the Churchill fans, her dogged style and rise from $15,000 claimer ranks to $50,000 allowance runner, Sumwon's fan base continues to swell. Several dozen railbirds expressed well wishes to the Dee Tee faithful, Chuck and Willie, many saying they had bet her in April and were eagerly awaiting this next start.

They, and anyone else with an interest in Sumwonlovesyou, couldn't have been disappointed... There is only one rational conclusion to be drawn from Saturday's experience, and that is one of total contentment with the progress of this $24,000 purchase. Sumwonlovesyou continues to mature, improve and perform far above anyone's expectation. She should only continue to get better as the year progresses, and her demonstration of a willingness to run as far as she is asked opens the door to an even wider number of opportunities going forward.

I hope everyone enjoyed this third forray for Dee Tee Stables, and Chuck, his staff and I graciously thank all that have been so supportive and appreciative of the undertaking. It's an exciting adventure, and everyone shares in the experience. Much more to come when Chuck gets an opportunity to add his thoughts about Saturday and what lies ahead...
Old 05-27-2007, 09:28 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

great job steve,chuck and staff..do we have a beyer/tg fig..
Old 05-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Santa Anita

its an absolutely brilliant story.. its great to read how well she's doing and how much enjoyment all the people are getting here from her..

#Grand
Old 05-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Flemington

Wonderful write-up Steve!

Willie seems really great.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
great job steve,chuck and staff..do we have a beyer/tg fig..

winner got an 83
Old 05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Calder Race Course

nice write up Steve.

Going to have to get a dictionary with all those fancy words you use
Old 05-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Goodwood

Sumwon got an 83 also.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Del Mar

Super job Steve, Chuck and everyone else in the DT family!!!!

WOW!

Spyder
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Just an incredible race to watch. It's amazing how my heart jumps out of my chest during the stretch runs of these races, not owning any of her, just pulling so hard for you guys to get into the winner's circle one of these times.

It really has been so much fun to watch her progress and to see how everyone (more or less!) comes together on the forum over her, owner or not.

Congrats to all the owners!
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Just an incredible race to watch. It's amazing how my heart jumps out of my chest during the stretch runs of these races, not owning any of her, just pulling so hard for you guys to get into the winner's circle one of these times.

It really has been so much fun to watch her progress and to see how everyone (more or less!) comes together on the forum over her, owner or not.
Congrats to all the owners!
I'm not an owner but you better believe I was shouting when she came down the stretch yesterday. Its a good story to follow.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Woodbine

Very nice summary, Steve. You're a good writer.

Congrats to the Simon racing team and to all the partners.

This story gets better and better. Please, please get to Saratoga (or points in the mid-atlantic), so that I can start making it to the races. I need to make my appearance so that I can be assured that a big star will want my role in the movie script I see on the horizon. I've been told I look a little like Nicolas Cage, if it's not too early for a plug.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Coach Pants

I felt bad after the race because I wanted the crew to get in the winner's circle. There really isn't a better feeling than getting your picture taken, and dag nabbit, sumwon deserved to have hers taken yesterday.

Oh well. It's coming sooner rather than later. She's a fighter and has the heart of a champion.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Fairgrounds

Sumwon has to be the purchase of the year. Further, the job Chuck has done with her is just amazing. I hope to be able to make it out to her next race which I am sure will be a winning one.

I can't say enough in the way of thanks to Chuck and Steve for allowing me to be part of this amazing journey.

Paul
Old 05-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I'm not an owner but you better believe I was shouting when she came down the stretch yesterday. Its a good story to follow.
While I almost broke my leg on Wednesday getting O Bee Naki home, my hand is extremely sore from a curled up Arlington house form getting into Sumwon.....

What was great is that these Ragozin guys that my dad and I were sitting in front of were saying "NO WAY this horse hits the board, 7 pt top, stupid money" I turn around and smile at them. Half of the gold room was all over her including friends of Dellinger (owners of Taylor) who my dad and I sit next to all the time now. It was awesome

Last edited by Scav : 05-27-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Hollywood Park

Default Thanks Steve and Chuck

This has been a great experience owning a part of her and what a ride.
What a great purchase and it is gratifying to see Chuck and his team and Steve get some nice purse money in the last two starts and retaining her conditions. Can't wait to see her at Saratoga in August and if lucky to get to see her race when our family makes our trip there.

Thanks again,

Paul
Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Seems like you have found a nice equine ATM. I know that everyone wants a win, but she keeps her condition, but just keeps on making money for the DeeTee team. Way to earn her keep...

ALostTexan
Old 05-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Just one more Place finish at this level and Dee Tee gets the purchase price back. Just need to get a win at this level to get the purchase price and Chuck taken care of.

After the race Sumwon was definately into eatting. Got peppermints she's got the time.. otherwise she just wanted to left with her oats.

I don't know what I saw going into the top of the stretch. Was Willie or Sumwon trying to not Le Chateau by - knock her off stride? The run to the wire tells me she wants to win. She belongs in allowance company - just keeps running into better horses.

Maybe she can move forward. I'm sure Chuck has a better idea of what she is capable of. To go from low to mid level claimers to this is great. Better than I hoped for.

My racing and non-racing friends love hearing about her. I have a friend that insists on coming with me to see her next race. I don't know if she can feel the love but I know there are people all over the country and some outside the country that are cheering for her.

This has been really great. I never really cared about going to the track until now.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Hialeah Park

I'm thrilled for all...the owners, the trainer, the jock...EVERYONE!!!
So cool!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:34 PM
The Curragh

Simply thrilled with her progress! Many thabks to Chuck, Steve and rest of team.

So happy to be involved with this gutsy filly. Could not have asked for more.

Does Willy travel to Saratoga? Very nice to have a Jock taking an interest in her.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
Very nice summary, Steve. You're a good writer.

Congrats to the Simon racing team and to all the partners.

This story gets better and better. Please, please get to Saratoga (or points in the mid-atlantic), so that I can start making it to the races. I need to make my appearance so that I can be assured that a big star will want my role in the movie script I see on the horizon. I've been told I look a little like Nicolas Cage, if it's not too early for a plug.

It is definitely an awesome story. Maybe with Steve's talent he could write a book about it after she gets a graded win or two!!! The bottom line is that Chuck and Cherie and the rest of the crew have improved this filly at least 20 lengths thus far. How much more, who knows. It was great to meet some of the partners who made the race for the first time. Also had a ball with the usual suspects. Steve and Chuck made a nice find on this filly. Can't wait till we meet again.