Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2022, 12:54 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Belmont new $3 late pick 3

24% takeout ruins good idea.

Last edited by Alabama Stakes : 04-22-2022 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:17 PM
Havre de Grace

Canterbury announces a new early pick 4 with a 10% takeout. Go figure.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Canterbury announces a new early pick 4 with a 10% takeout. Go figure.
I'd rather play a 500K Pool at 24% takeout then a 100K pool at 10%. Especially with the higher entry cost. Take a look at the Golden Hour Double. It has a $5 Bas and generally pays well.

Last edited by jms62 : 04-23-2022 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-23-2022, 07:50 PM
Cahokia Downs

Do you honestly expect anywhere near 500k in that pool ?
Old 04-23-2022, 09:44 PM
Havre de Grace

If they had a low takeout like 15% and promoted as a nice fan friendly wager, it would have a big handle. If they made the last race triple a $2 minimum with 15% fan friendly takeout, it would do big numbers.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:53 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMattA View Post
Do you honestly expect anywhere near 500k in that pool ?
It was a hypothetical. I do expect it to do 5X what his Canterbury example is and used a round number.
Old 04-24-2022, 09:52 AM
Havre de Grace

So if the takeout on the bet was. 15% would you be more likely to bet it ? Since your interested in betting into a bigger pool, it would be be a much bigger pool. Or is that too hypothetical for you ? Or are you saying that the same amount will be bet no matter the takeout ?
Old 04-24-2022, 10:20 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
So if the takeout on the bet was. 15% would you be more likely to bet it ? Since your interested in betting into a bigger pool, it would be be a much bigger pool. Or is that too hypothetical for you ? Or are you saying that the same amount will be bet no matter the takeout ?
I will watch what it pays for awhile and make my decision. Not going to dive into say a 10% takeout just cause it is 10%. **** they have a Pick 6 at Parx and it could be 0% takeout and I wouldn't touch it. Pools are pitiful. Remember I hit an 80K spilt on that horrible Jackpot Pick 6 at Gulfstream when the pot was over 5 million. I want to add that I used to be a big Pick 5 player but over the last couple years I am seeing less and less 5 figure pays. I rarely play anymore. Just win and doubles and Head to Head on Horse Tourney's. Where I can win if I have a good day or just a better day than my opponent.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:10 AM
Havre de Grace

What Im trying to figure out is when they are sitting around throwing ideas out there, who is the one who says “ this is a good idea, what should we do on the takeout for the bet?” Who is the guy who says “ let’s have a lower takeout like on the NYRA Bets pick 5. And who is the dick who overrules him and says ****thebettors let’s have a big high 24% takeout and we will get a much bigger piece of the pie . Where is the guy who says “ we’ll make up for the lower takeout by handling much more on the fan friendly bet. Of course where are the NYRA lovers who won’t speak up on the issue of 24% on Tri, super, pick 3 and pick 4 ?
Old 05-01-2022, 03:17 PM
Havre de Grace

Great to see NYRA lowered the takeout to 19% on the bet. In the old float out the high takeout to see if it flies, then cave to pressure.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:22 PM
Cahokia Downs

A $1 pick 3 was offered on the same 3 races. For those who thought roulette was a bad idea check this out…
Old 05-01-2022, 06:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMattA View Post
A $1 pick 3 was offered on the same 3 races. For those who thought roulette was a bad idea check this out…
It was the first day it was offered. It paid about what the $1 would have paid for $3.

What is the problem?
Old 05-01-2022, 07:27 PM
Cahokia Downs

No problem at all. I think it’s hilarious. Maybe next week we’ll have an option of 2 different pick4 pools at 2 different minimums starting in the same race.
Old 05-01-2022, 07:43 PM
Keeneland

Oh I get it. You were just taking the baton from the thread starter.

Have fun with that.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:19 PM
Keeneland

I watched the first three from Canterbury today, their opening day.

4/5, 2/5, 1/9

They could lower their pick 4’s to single digits, it won’t matter. The track is unplayable. That’s why when they tried the low takeout a few years back it didn’t matter.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post

4/5, 2/5, 1/9

They could lower their pick 4’s to single digits, it won’t matter. The track is unplayable. That’s why when they tried the low takeout a few years back it didn’t matter.
we shouldn't denounce people that try to lower takeout
Old 05-19-2022, 04:33 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:

4/5, 2/5, 1/9

You can't make that conclusion after one day. Was 5x5x7x8 in the sequence. Field size will increase as meet gets going. As Andrew Offerman explained they're expecting another 200+ horses yet. Today's early P4 is 6x8x12x8.

Their live handle grew 7% and simu 10.5% when they tried the aggressive takeout experiment and as noted Tuesday, there's no way to quantify how successful the trial really was because the additional generated churn wasn't necessarily plowed back in to CBY. They were also impacted that summer by terrible weather and a lot of races off the turf. That discussion is complex and multi-factorial.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:11 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
You can't make that conclusion after one day. Was 5x5x7x8 in the sequence. Field size will increase as meet gets going. As Andrew Offerman explained they're expecting another 200+ horses yet. Today's early P4 is 6x8x12x8.

Their live handle grew 7% and simu 10.5% when they tried the aggressive takeout experiment and as noted Tuesday, there's no way to quantify how successful the trial really was because the additional generated churn wasn't necessarily plowed back in to CBY. They were also impacted that summer by terrible weather and a lot of races off the turf. That discussion is complex and multi-factorial.
LMAO

I’m basing my conclusion on many years of gambling on horse racing Steve. What would you say Canterbury typically gets of your own annual handle? Considering you put up opinions on ONE card all of last year I can’t imagine much.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:13 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
we shouldn't denounce people that try to lower takeout
What’s your handle been on Canterbury the last few years?
Old 05-19-2022, 07:38 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
LMAO

I’m basing my conclusion on many years of gambling on horse racing Steve. What would you say Canterbury typically gets of your own annual handle? Considering you put up opinions on ONE card all of last year I can’t imagine much.
I don't play it often, no. I'll play when I handicap with their people when something appeals and usually Mystic Lake Derby Day. Just because I don't write up a card doesn't mean I'm not looking at their racing. I play Indiana a lot more versus Canterbury though.