Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Here's my family's recipe for Natilla which is a cuban vanilla custard... OMG, so good!

Ingredients--

3 cups of milk
3 eggs
ground cinnamon
1/2 c of sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
3 tsp of cornstarch

Put 2 3/4 cups of milk in a pot and put the heat on. Mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla, corn starch, and the 1/4 cup of cold milk that is left together in a seperate bowl. Right before the milk on the heat comes to a boil, add in all the mixed ingredients while stirring constantly. Once it gets a medium texture of thickness, take off the heat and put in individuals cups or serving glasses. Add a dash of cinnamon on top, and refrigerate.

Thank me later.
Balletto,
I'm thanking you right now! That one sounds yummy!
On a side note, that leg action in your avitar is plenty nice too!
Keep em coming!
DTS
Old 01-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Hialeah Park

Another one from the "Cowboy Cookbook", and yes, kids can help make it.

Cowboy Coffee Crème Brûlé

Serves 8.

8 large egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups heavy cream
6 tablespoons ground coffee
3 tablespoons Sucanat or brown sugar

Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until lightened in color. Combine the cream and coffee in a saucepan, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Pour a third of the hot cream into the yolk mixture while stirring rapidly to prevent cooking the yolks. Slowly pour in the rest of the cream. Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl to remove the coffee grounds. Chill the mixture by placing the bowl in an ice bath or in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Pour the mixture into 8 coffee cups or ramekins. Place in a roasting pan and pour hot water halfway up the side of the dishes. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the custard is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the water bath and let cool.

When ready to serve, sprinkle an even coating of the Sucanat or brown sugar over the tops, just enough to cover. Place under the broiler to caramelize the sugar. Cool slightly and serve.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Bulgogi

I got this recipe online, and can't find it again now, so I'll do my best to make it clear (i just made it last night!).

For those unfamiliar, bulgogi is a Korean bbq-style beef dish. It tastes more along the lines of teriyaki beef than it does what we traditionally consider "bbq." It's an incredible recipe though!

1 pound top sirloin
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon oil
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger

1.) Slice the sirloin into 1/8 inch thick strips. This one pound of sirloin should create somewhere in the vicinity of 25-40 pieces of meat depending on how thick you slice it.

2.) Combine soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, oil, garlic, and ginger in a bowl and mix until sugar is dissolved and mixture thickens slightly.

3.) Place beef strips into a large ziploc bag and pour marinade over. Seal and place in refrigerator for 40-60 minutes, flipping bag occasionally.

4.) Cooking method is up to you. I prefer pan-frying the strips...if they are cut right, the cooking portion shouldn't take more than 5-7 minutes.

Serve over white rice.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Hialeah Park

Thanks Brian,
That one sounds good.
Give this one a try. It goes pretty good with the pretzels and a cold one or three on game day.

Kosher Salami Recipe

8 lb Lean boneless beef chuck,
-cubed
2 lb Beef fat, cubed
5 tb Salt
1 1/2 ts Finely minced garlic
1 tb Finely ground white pepper
1 1/2 ts Coarsely crushed white peppr
1 tb Coarse grind coriander seed
1 1/2 tb Sugar
1 c Dry white wine
1/2 ts Ascorbic acid
1 ts Saltpeter
4 Feet large beef casings

Kosher Salami Instructions:

"This recipe makes real kosher salami if you have access to kosher-butchered beef.
If not, then just like kosher dill pickles, it's the flavor that counts.
" Grind the beef through the fine disk.
Grind the ft through the coarse disk.
Mix the dry ingredients with the wine and pour this mixture over the meat and fat.
Mix well.
Spread in pan and cure in the refrigerator 24-48 hours.
Prepare casings, stuff and tie off into 8-9" links.
Hang to dry for one week.
Wipe the sausage dry and smoke over a cool (120) smoke about 8 hours.
Increase smoking temperature to 150-160 and smoke for an additional four hours.
Because the smoking aids in the drying process, the salami should be ready to eat after about three weeks of additional drying.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Are you cooped up inside? Roads too bad to drive? Snow too deep to shovel?
Hey! The kitchen is there! AHH! Mexico!!!
Try this one! Classic!

Tres Leches Cake

End a great Mexican meal with a piece of this rich, moist cake.
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/4 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
5 eggs, large
1 teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 1/2 cup milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup plus 3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon rum
1 pinch salt
PREPARATION:
Combine flour and baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add the eggs to the sugar mixture one at a time until well combined. Stir in the 1/2 cup of milk, then gently fold in the flour mixture a little at a time.
Pour batter into a lightly greased cake pan or baking dish and bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until it feels firm and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Let the cake cool until room temperature.

Yum!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Hialeah Park

This recipe doesn't have any thing to do with last night's State of the Union Address delivered by Georege W Bush. Don't attempt to make that connection. It's not the intention.
Bologna is actually pretty good, if you can get past the fact that it's made with used up milkers, lips and jowls are also ground up.
Good Ol' Bossie hits the grinder. 21,500 of our brave kids also...Baghdad bound.
So, give this tastey recipe a try, munch away while awaiting the body bags to show up at Dover. Ahh, bologna is to DIE for!

This has become one of my favorite sandwiches. It's quick, simple and delicious! This is great on the grill.

Ingredients:
4 1/2" thick sliced garlic bologna
4 wheat sesame seed buns
1 vidalia onion
1/2 cup of spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/2 tablespoon season salt

Preheat grill to 350°. Cut onion in 1/2" slices. Place onions of aluminum foil and sprinkle with olive oil and season salt. Close foil making a pack and place on grill. After 5-10 minutes place bologna slices on grill. Grill until nice grill marks on each side (approx. 3-4 minutes a side). Remove bologna slices and place top and bottom of the bun on the grill. Let the buns toast for about 30 seconds to a minute. Remove buns and onion pack and let everything stand for five minutes.

Spread spicy mustard on top and bottom of bun. Place bologna slice on bun and add the grilled onions. Pour your favorite beverage and enjoy.

Optional Condiments:
Swiss or Pepper Jack Cheese
Mayo
Ketchup or BBQ Sauce
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Old 01-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Hialeah Park

With the Super bowl coming up (and since Chuck Hagel made mention of the "grinder" in his comments yesterday, though i'm guessing it was a different meaning), I thought I'd put out my own favorite "grinder".
I plan on serving this during the game, along with some chicken wings, and maybe some other goodies that can be found within the pages of the DT Cookbook. Enjoy!

The Grinder

This recipe has two parts...part of it is done in a big skillet and part is done in the oven.

Ingredients:
24 slices of pepperoni
3 hot, 3 mild Italian sausages
1 large onion (diced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 green pepper (sliced)
1 can black olives
1 jar tomato sauce (thick and hearty...Ragu or Prego)
1/3 C Italian salad dressing
3 Tbs parmisan (grated)
1 1/2 C mozzerella (grated)
3 large loaves of Italian bread. French bread also works.

In the skillet, put some oil, onion, garlic, sausage (take them out of the casings), then add the green pepper, olives, and when everything looks pretty good, toss in the pepperoni and the tomato sauce.

Slice the loaves length wise and put each on a piece of foil.
Put the oven to 400 degrees and pop the loaves in for about four minutes to toast them. Take them out and put the Italian salad dressing on. I also sprinkle a little garlic salt on them.
Now put all the good stuff that's been in the skillet on to the loaves.
Cover each grinder with the mozzerella and put the parmisan on top.
Wrap the foil around the sides but leave the tops open.
Put them in to the oven for about 15 minutes (until the cheese is melted)
Each grinder can be cut in half, so this should serve six people.
Yum!
And go Bears! Oh yeah...Kilbasa in sourkraut...mustard...that would be done by halftime...traditional menu for da Bears!
And don't forget the beer...lots!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Hialeah Park

While I'm still thinking about the fixins for the Super Bowl, I went back through the cookbook and took a look at some that will be part of the day.
Golly...there are so many good ones...beer and cheddar soup, Brian's Korean one...
I've decided on these three besides the "Grinders" and kilbasi...
Mike's "salami pie"...page 1
Chili...page 2
Wings...page 4
Pretzels...page 5
Bulgogi...top of this page...thanks Brian
Should be plenty good!

Last edited by Downthestretch55 : 01-26-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Hialeah Park

What better to dip those taco chips in than this?!!!
You might want to double this recipe...it will all be gone by halftime.

Gaucamole (Makes a Great Dip)
2large AVOCADOS, mashed
1 tsp. LEMON JUICE
1 small yellow ONION, chopped
1 minced GARLIC CLOVE (or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
1 tsp. SALT
dash PEPPER
1 Tbsp. PIMIENTOS
2 Tbsp. GREEN CHILES, chopped
2 Tbsp. MAYONNAISE

Thoroughly mash avocados until creamy. Add lemon juice, mix. Then add onion and minced garlic. Add salt, pepper and pimientos. Add chiles, mix thoroughly. Add mayonnaise and whip to creamy texture.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Hialeah Park

Jamaican Jerk

If you never tried this, it will make your day!
Works good for pork too...

"The Sugar Reef Carribean Cookbook," by Devra Dedeaux. See the Amazon link to the right to learn more about the cookbook (used copies should be available).

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

1 tablespoon Ground allspice
1 tablespoon Dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Ground sage
3/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons Garlic powder or fresh
1 tablespoon Sugar
1/4 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Soy sauce
3/4 cup White Vinegar
1/2 cup Orange juice
1 Lime juice
1 Scotch bonnet pepper (habanero)
3 Green onions -- finely chopped
1 cup Onion -- finely chopped
4 to 6 chicken breasts

"JERK: This method of cooking pork and chicken dates back to the Carib-Arawak Indians who inhabited Jamaica. After capturing an animal and thoroughly cleaning and gutting it, the Indians placed it in a deep pit lined with stones and covered with green wood, which, when burned, would smoke heavily and add to the flavor. But first, the carcass was "jerked" with a sharp object to make holes, which were stuffed with a variety of spices. The holes also allowed heat to escape without loss of moisture.
The results were superb. The meat was not only wonderfully spiced, but moist and tender." (Note: Sugar Reef is a restaurant in Manhattan) Seed and finely chop Scotch Bonnet pepper. Trim chicken of fat. In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar. With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, say sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice.
Add the Scotch Bonnet pepper, onion, and mix well. Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
Preheat an outdoor grill.
Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. While grilling, baste with the marinade. Bring the leftover marinade to a boil and serve on the side for dipping.
Note: Scotch Bonnet peppers, also known as "Habaneros" are the hottest of the capsicum peppers, they're truly incendiary. Substitute Serranos of Thai Bird Chiles if you can't find them.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Hialeah Park

How can anyone watch da Bears without kielbasa?

Here ya go! Go Bears!

Bert's Kielbasa & Sauerkraut

1 Bag of Sauerkraut
1 medium onion
caraway seeds
2 lbs. kielbasa of brats
1 qt. beer
* 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Boil kielbasa or brats in beer for about 1-2 hours

Slice onion while meat is cooking

Reserve all remaining beer after cooking meat

Add a pinch or two of caraway seeds to sauerkraut

Saute meat with onion over medium heat in a small amount of beer until golden brown

Pour all indgredients (including beer)into baking dish

Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes covered then about 15 minutes uncovered

Sprinkle with cheddar cheese if desired when browned
Old 02-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Hialeah Park

I have to share a true story.
It was Feb 2, so after taking attendence of my 3rd graders, I was all set to take "lunch count" (so the cafeteria people knew how many lunches to prepare). So I said, "Boys and girls, do you know what today is?"
Little Mary raised her hand and I called on her.
"It's groundhog day", she said.
Well, Calvin just about jumped out of his chair, raised both hands, and shouted, "YUM!!!!!".

Enjoy! (on a side note...the ones that are roaming around this time of the year are the males looking for "girlfriends"...and since one male can have many matings, if you bag one, it won't deminish the stocks).

WOODCHUCK (GROUNDHOG) STEW

1 woodchuck
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup celery, sliced
Flour
Vinegar and water
Salt and pepper
Cloves

Clean woodchuck; remove glands; cut into serving pieces. Soak overnight in a solution of equal parts of water and vinegar with addition of one sliced onion and a little salt. Drain, wash, and wipe. Parboil 20 minutes, drain, and cover with fresh boiling water. Add one sliced onion, celery, a few cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tender; thicken gravy with flour.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Packerbacker's Jungle Beans

2 lbs cooked pinto beans
1 can of corn
3 or 4 tomatos cut up
3 hot peppers
1 onion
2lb sausage
Cook all of this together for 45 minutes or until the mators and onions are done and cooked down. Cheap college eats nothing better than that.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
top predator.

Kitty Litter Cake

READ THE INGREDIENTS AND HOW TO MAKE IT FIRST, THEN LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT..

TRUST ME...DON'T LOOK AT THE ATTACHMENT FIRST, BUT LAST...

This is for all you cook’s out there looking for something a little different.........

WANT TO HAVE FUN AT A PARTY? PREPARE THIS RECIPE! COMPLETELY EDIBLE,
BUT YOUR FRIENDS MAY NOT THINK SO!

CAKE INGREDIENTS:
1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix
1 package white sandwich cookies
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
A few drops green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"
1 NEW cat-litter box
1 NEW cat-litter box liner
1 NEW pooper scooper

1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

3) Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape the blunt ends into slightly curved points. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.

4) Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!

ANY OF YOU WHO HAVE A PARTY TO GO TO, THINK ABOUT TAKING THIS CAKE WITH YOU.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM
Hialeah Park

Pais,
I'll give the litter box a try. Here's another dessert.

Worms in Dirt Recipe

Make a package of chocolate pudding and put store bought candied worms in it. Let it set. Then sprinkle crushed chocolate Oreo crumbs on top.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Hialeah Park

Today is Valentine's Day, but I'm already looking forward to St Patricks...
Geesh! The snow is flying sideways! There are 20 inches on the ground, and nobody on the roads. At least the fireplace is roaring! Come on spring!!!
Might be time for some good ol' Irish Bushmills...
I'm not driving, nor shoveling.
This one will warm you up...

Irish Beef Stew

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
6 large garlic cloves, minced
6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
I cup of Guinness beer
1 cup of fine red wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Salt and pepper to taste. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Serves 4 to 6.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:46 PM
Hialeah Park

for Chinese New Year, or any other time...
Pretty simple to make, very tastey too.

Chinese Silver Loaves_ (dough for outside of dumpling)

1 3/4 cups hot water
3 T. sugar
2 T. vegetable shortening or oil
6 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
2 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Add sugar and shortening to hot water, stir til sugar is dissolved, and allow
to cool until barely warm.

Sift remaining dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, and gradually stir in
sugar mixture. Mix well and gradually draw dough together with your hands. It
should be soft, but not sticky.

On a floured board, knead dough about 5-8 minutes, or til smooth and elastic.
Return to bowl, cover with damp cloth and let rise at least 1 hour.

_Roast Pork Filling_

makes 24 buns

1 T. sugar
1 1/2 T. soy sauce
1 T. oyster sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 drop red food colouring (optional)
1 T. vegetable oil
3/4 lb. diced roast pork (recipe: 3 lbs. pork sirloin cut into 2 inch strips,
marinated in: 2 T. sherry, 2 T. sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 T.
hoisin sauce, 1/4 tsp. red food colouring; marinate 4-5 hrs in
fridge; bake 1 hour at 325, brushing with honey three times; let cool
20 min. then dice for dumpling recipe)
1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
1 large or 2 small spring onions, chopped
1 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
1 recipe Silver Loaves

Mix together sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chicken stock, sesame oil,
black pepper and red food colouring. Set aside.

Stir-fry the pork, ginger, and spring onions in the vegetable oil for 2 min.
Pour in the seasoning mixture and stir for another minute. Stir the cornstarch
into the water and pour into wok. Continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce
is like thick custard. Remove from heat.

Knead the Silver Loaves dough for 3 minutes. Cover and let sit 10 minutes.
Divide into 24 pieces and cover again with the cloth.

Pat each piece of dough into a 4 inch in diameter circle. Place a teaspoon
of pork filling in centre and pleat edges of circle all the way around.
Bring edges up over filling, finally pinching the pleats together firmly at
the centre top. Set aside for 10 minutes.

Place each bun on a piece of wax (greaseproof) paper, and steam with 1/2 inch
of space between them, for 12 minutes. Do not open the steamer while cooking
or else the characteristic splitting of the top of the bun will not take place.

_Shrimp and Vegetable Filling_

1 T. vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 spring onion, finely chopped
3/4 lb. chinese cabbage, chopped, blanched in boiling water for 1 min,
drained and squeezed dry in paper towels
1/4 cup cooked baby shrimp, minced
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 T. water

Heat the oil in a wok, fry garlic and spring onion til garlic is a light
golden colour. Stir in cabbage and shrimp, and cook one more minute. Add
sugar, soy sauce, pepper and sesame oil, stir; then add cornstarch mixed
with water. Stir again. The mixture should thicken immediately. Fill buns as
with above recipe.

_Sweet Red Bean Paste Filling_

(sweet red bean paste can be bought in the store, and used straight from the
can for filling, but this is how to make it from scratch)

1 1/2 cups red beans, washed well
4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar

Place the beans and water in a saucepan, cover, bring to boil over medium
high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 1 1/2 hours, or til beans
are very soft.

Strain the water from the beans, and blend them into a puree in a blender
or food processor.

Press the puree through a sieve, discarding the skins, which will be left
in the sieve.

Place the puree in several layers of cheesecloth, and gently squeeze to
remove excess moisture.

Place the thickened puree back into the saucepan, together with the sugar and
vegetable shortening, and heat over low heat, stirring until it becomes a
thick paste. Stir and scrape vigourously so that it does not stick to
the bottom.

Remove from heat and let cool before filling buns.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Hialeah Park

This one is very easy to make, and tastey too.
I had it twice a week when I was in college, and at times during bad streaks at the windows. It's also a good one for those that do "Lent".

Tuna Casserole
1 can tuna, drained -- cheese -- chicken or mushroom soup -- noodles -- frozen vegetables -- ½ cup chicken stock -- crackers mixed with melted margarine -- chopped jalapenos (optional)
Cook noodles. Mix together soup, tuna, and cheese, add frozen vegetables, ½ cup chicken stock, jalapenos (optional) and noodles. Top with crumbled crackers. Bake in 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling. Spices that work well with this include parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (the Scarborough Fair four), or chili power, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Hialeah Park

This works for most white meat fillets. Check 'em for bones first by holding them up to the light. Remove before hitting the skillet.
Freshwater...walleye, yellow perch, bluegills, crappies.
Saltwater...flounder, whiting, kingfish, ling.
Shrimps do fine with this too.

Beer Batter

Ingredients
1 12 oz can light Beer
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Paprika
1 cup Flour

Directions
Pour the beer into a large bowl. Sift the flour, salt, and paprika into the beer, whisking until the batter is light and frothy. (The batter may be used immediately or stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, but be sure to whisk it occasionally). Heat at least 2 inches of oil in a frying kettle or electric fryer. Just before it reaches 375F, quickly dredge the fish and shrimp with flour, shaking of excess then dip in the beer batter, coating well, and drop them into the hot fat (do this in 2 batches). When they are brown on one side - less than 1 minute - turn and brown them on the other side. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Hialeah Park

I admit that I haven't tried this one. Seems like it might be a possible solution for the KFC/Taco bell (YUM Brands) in the west village.

Deep Fried Field Rat

4 mature rats or 8 small rats

10-15 garlic cloves, crushed

2 tbs. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

Skin and gut the rats, removing the head and toes. Mix garlic, salt, and pepper into a paste, spread on the meat, then place in direct sunlight for 6 to 8 hours, until dry. Fry in deep vegetable oil for about 6-7 minutes, until crispy and yellow in color. Serve with sticky rice, sweet-sour sauce, fish sauce, or a hot chili paste, and raw vegetables.

From Strange Foods: Bush Meat, Bats, and Butterflies, an Epicurean Adventure Around the World, Jerry Hopkins, photos by Michael Freeman, North Clarendon, VT: Tuttle Publishing, 1999