PENIAPHOBIA (IRE) PENIAPHOBIA (IRE) HK 3 g Tony Cruz 126 114
AEROVELOCITY (NZ) AEROVELOCITY (NZ) HK 6 g Paul O'Sullivan 126 112
SMART VOLATILITY (AUS) SMART VOLATILITY (AUS) HK 6 g Francis Lui 126 112
FLAGSHIP SHINE (AUS) FLAGSHIP SHINE (AUS) HK 5 g John Moore 126 110
GOLDEN HARVEST (AUS) GOLDEN HARVEST (AUS) HK 6 g Tony Millard 126 109
STRAIGHT GIRL (JPN) JPN 5 m Hideaki Fujiwara 122 110
LITTLE GERDA (USA) JPN 5 m Ippo Sameshima 122 109

A feel good story

"A fractured pelvis was the diagnosis, so the trainer took his horse home, put tyres on the floor in his box so that he couldn't lie down, and gave him all the care, attention, and time that he needed for the bones to mend and for the horse to get back to a place from where he could set about fulfilling his immense potential."

https://www.thoroughbredracing.com/a...n-his-fifth-g1
Old 12-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Randwyck

Stories like this that keep the little outfits going and dreaming
Old 12-12-2014, 11:31 PM
Gulfstream Park

Buffering passed fit. Wayfoong Express out. Ambitious Dragon and Cirrus Des Aigles moderately lame up front. Race day inspection.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Gulfstream Park

Race 4 (Vase):
When the entries came out I was looking at trying to beat #1 Flintshire based on the fact that sometimes the big guns come to HK and fail, and he'd also be coming off two grueling efforts in the Arc and BC Turf. However, he won't have to get out of first gear to win this; it's one of the weakest Vase lineups of recent memory. He's also only had the five runs this season so he's surely still got something in the tank. He's been the pick of the foreigners in the mornings and flourishes on quicker ground. Connections have won this race previously and at upwards of 2-1 it might be worth thinking of putting the savings on this one. Something would seriously have to go wrong for him not to win this.
#4 Empoli is hard one to guess right on, but his severely hampered 4th behind Gentildonna in Dubai and 2nd to Meandre last year shows that on his day he does have the ability. Has targeted this since his Preis von Europa win in September, which was a run I liked as he had to switch out belated to get clear running. Drawn wide but that shouldn't matter too much. German stayers have proven their worth lately and he is being forgotten about at around 20-1.
At first I thought that the '11 Italian Derby second, #8 Willie Cazals, was a bit overrated but then I took a much closer look at his longer distance races in HK. Came home with his big run to win at 11f and followed that up by rocketing home in 21.99 to miss by a nose behind Dominant. Nothing wrong with finishing second to California Memory in a HK G1 at the distance. Has had his issues in the year and a half since those races but has shown this season he's getting back to his best. Couldn't come home any quicker than the 21.89 final sectional in his last and this may be his best distance.
I'll take a chance on #6 Bubble Chic. The locals very rarely even hit the board in this event, but he was a classy 3yo in France (2nd in French Derby) so there's obviously some quality in him. Put a pen through his first two runs this season at 7f, and two back he gave away a lot of weight at a shorter distance. Faded late in his last but still ran a super quick final 200m. A winner over this distance last season and Teetan rides him best. I actually had him second initially but started to like the other two a bit more on final glance.
Red Cadeaux's non-Melbourne Cup form over the past 19 months is not appealing. Parish Hall took out a G1 as a 2yo but hasn't been anywhere near that since. 3yo males have one placing (a second) from 18 runners in this event. Stoute knows what he's doing but good luck to him on breaking that stat with Snow Sky.

Race 5 (Sprint):
#4 Sterling City: Troubled running lines seems to be the common theme with this horse. Excuses in all three of his runs this season and even in last year's renewal. Was never going to beat Lord Kanaloa but was never fully tested before galloping out strongly. Double digit odds would be a silly price for an Int'l G1 winner who should get a perfect trip.
#11 Flagship Shine: Has had three tries in HK over the trip and all runs have been fantastic. Won on HK debut, lost the bob behind a slow pacesetter (a decent foe in his own right), and a solid third in the Trial. Caught wide but showed he can run well from off the speed. Wasn't very competitive in G1 class last year but this might be his best distance. Actually led at the furlong pole in the 7f event against a stacked field. Moore has been very coy on his chances and he's recently pulled a shocker in this event. Expect a big run at odds.
#1 Lucky Nine: Lost all hope in this last year at the start and back to back Krisflyers show the old legs still have it. Given no chance when blocked most of the straight in the Trial but caught the eye when he finally got out. Lost twice to Buffering in Oz last year but it seems that age has caught up to that one. The '11 winner would become the oldest winner of this race should he get the prize again.
#9 Aerovelocity: Not often you'll see a G1 this deep see a horse who ran last of 14 in his final prep end up favoured. Completely chopped out twice in the straight that day and you can just put a pen through that run. 6yo ran right up the grades ever since adding the blinkers. Only other losses since the addition besides his last was his first run with blinkers, which was his first-up run (3rd), and a go over 7f at the end of last season (2nd). Lovely draw but I'm not sure he's actually much better than #10 Smart Volatility and #12 Golden Harvest. Tough gates for both but they've shown they're just as good. All three are worth using.
#2 Spalato: Foggy circumstances surrounding his HK prep run...Absolutely flying form from Singapore where he's a Derby winner at 10f but also ran 6f in 1:08.15...Lofty 120 international rating and it looks like he's been working much better. Drawn wide but I don't know if many will try and take on the Buff and so he might be able to slot over and work out a good trip. Willing to give him another chance.
Sole Power is always a question at the distance (someone had to run second last year...). As mentioned above, Buffering doesn't look as good this year. Gordon Lord Byron will be praying for rain, and Europeans don't have much success in this event. Snow Dragon won her first turf race in a G1 at 46-1, will get too far back...Peniaphobia ran a huge one in taking out the Trial but how much is left in the tank? 3yos don't have a great record in this race either. Females also have an appalling history in this race, but with that aside I don't think the Japanese sprinting crop this season is anything special.

Race 7 (Mile):
#9 World Ace: First up run wasn't that bad as he still came home in quick time and it seems as though he much prefers going right-handed. Last out of the gate in the Mile Championship and twice had stop-start occasions in the stretch. Solid gallop out as well. Lightly raced 5yo was not far off in two G1s as a 3yo and it was scintillating win in the G2 Yomiuri Milers Cup over Fiero. Should get a great run from the 4 draw and at around 20-1 looks well worth the odds.
#1 Able Friend: It's hard to find a fault with him and his devastating turn of foot. He just tends to drop too far back for my liking whenever he gets a wide draw, and even if he goes forward with the lack of pace in here there's always a chance of him getting posted out wide and without cover. The Magic Man will have to bring his A-game for the ride and while he's the most likely winner, I'll try and make some value from a wagering standpoint.
#2 Gold-Fun: Was my initial pick based on the fact I thought he might get first run on Able Friend, but it just bugs me that he came in last year as the hot horse and wasn't able to get it done. Pressure off this year and maybe it's his time now that he's forgotten about.
#6 Fiero: Keeps on improving and does show some pace from earlier on in his form. Rail draw can allow him to slide forward and get a good position. Just think he might be a notch below.
Glorious Days surely can't do it again off a long layoff. Grand Prix Boss is very inconsistent and continues to be luckless at the draw. Ambitious Dragon has had and continues to have too many problems for my liking. Trade Storm went to the lead in his last two UK runs, but he's not this class, especially counter-clockwise.

Race 8 (Cup):
#7 Endowing: '13 Derby second and won two preps for this encounter last season. Never really got a chance to settle in that race and was well beaten. Two subsequent races were also iffy but was given a long break to freshen up for this season. Strong first-up run when most of them already had a race under their belt and showed he was rounding back to his best with a close third in the Trial, coming home in 21.90, the fastest sectional on his form line. He's 2 for 2 third-up in HK, and both those wins have been by far his best races since being imported. Prefers it firmer and is primed for a 20-1 upset.
#2 Designs On Rome: Very little wrong with what he did last season. Quickest final 200m of 21.82 in the Trial after missing the start by a length but overall he just hasn't brought the same performances as last year. The one to beat and use him on top, but is also worth trying to beat.
#5 California Memory: First two this season were obvious preps but they were fantastic runs. Battled on well and kept fighting last out. He's won this twice before and can sneak into the exotics at a big price.
#3 Military Attack: Was not at all the same horse last season as he was the one prior. Has returned to form in his two runs this season with it being hard to knock anything from either of those races. Will go close again and is a major contender.
Cirrus Des Aigles has beaten Treve, Anodin, and Flintshire this year in winning three G1s, but that foot problem a day from the race is concerning to say the least. Blazing Speed put up a career best in taking out the Trial and needs to prove it wasn't a one-off. Criterion hasn't returned to his form from the Spring Carnival and Aussies have been poor in this race recently. Farraaj is not this class. Archimedes has worked well for this but it is a big ask for his first try in the grade. The other three HK runners are just pace influences making up the numbers.

Have not really looked at the undercard yet. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitan View Post
#1 Lucky Nine: Lost all hope in this last year at the start
SO many favorites of mine running (him, California Memory, Sole Power, Buffering, Snow Dragon, Military Attack, etc) but that line just brought it all back for me... that was when I stopped and so honestly I will not be watching or betting but wish you all the luck in the world.

Come home safe, everyone.

Godspeed, Lucky Nine and California Memory.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 PM
Steve Byk

Lucas Marquardt ‏@ThoroStride 1m1 minute ago BREAKING: Ambitious Dragon still moderately lame in right foot and will be scratched from G1 HK Mile..
Old 12-23-2014, 12:05 AM
Gulfstream Park

First chance I've had to post since the HKIR...replays available here: http://campaign.hkjc.com/en/2014-hki...dia-video.aspx

Able Friend is a monster. End of story.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Saratoga

While I continue to not follow HK too closely at all it's good to see the pics of those famous silks once again in the winner's circle with the De Silva's.

The world could always use another Witness.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:41 AM
Gulfstream Park

Definition of a canter, courtesy of Able Friend:

http://racing.hkjc.com/racing/video/...no=08&lang=eng
Old 01-26-2015, 05:31 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Impressive
Old 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

Nice that these owners got another really good one... was a big fan of Able One (and I see that this is the 14th Able horse for them).

Great horse...

Great runs from both Peniaphobia and Bundle of Joy in the Centenary Sprint Cup... aaah Douggie such an ice man... amazing.

Interesting all three considering Dubai now...

Looking at races like that first one... Class 5 with a hopeless case but trained by Paul O'Sullivan and with Chadwick up makes me miss following along.
Old 03-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Saratoga

Good luck to the HK Raiders in Dubai!

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 03-24-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:03 AM
Gulfstream Park

Able Friend, worked a little harder than normal, takes out the Chairman's Trophy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuB2XwBcKo

Rad, who I had my eye on at the beginning of the campaign, wins the Bauhinia Sprint Trophy in a performance reminiscent of some of the all-time great HK sprinters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sREPmU-gYW0
Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 PM
Gulfstream Park

Ambitious Dragon retired...

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...s20150417a.asp
Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Saratoga

Two that I love so much.. Brett on Lucky Nine this morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsr7mgtmsBk
Old 04-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Saratoga

Terrific field for the Audemars Piguet QEII Cup and how great to see such an international group!

Nothing but admiration for Red Cadeaux especially (of the internationals) but gotta root for the home team here.

Safe home to my favorite in the race, California Memory. Hope he is retired soon and sent to Living Legends.

Last years winner, Designs on Rome, is out wide... the French runner, Smoking Sun, was having some issues... not a great season for Blazing Speed... not sure how concerned to be regarding Military Attack (slight problem this am) BUT I think I will use him in the top spot.

Military Attack
Red Cadeaux
... with Designs on Rome, Blazing Speed, and Criterion underneath.

^^^ Subject to change!

Good luck to anyone playing and come home safe, everyone.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Gulfstream Park

Live cast...

http://campaign.hkjc.com/en/2015-apq...apqe-live.aspx
Old 04-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
No pick, Kitan?

This is all I have done so far... might just leave it at that.

Apr. 25, 2015 04:19 PM 4C7B04757073 Online Gaming Hong Kong Sha Tin 8 $2.00 TR 2 / 5 / 1,3,4,6,8,9 $12.00

(Military Attack //Red Cadeaux //Designs on Rome, Blazing Speed, Criterion, Helene Super Star, California Memory (cause I'm sentimental and ridiculous), Staphanos.

edit - Good luck to Lucky Nine in the Sprint Cup. Nice little field with Gold Fun, Peniaphobia, etc. I might put something together if the odds on Charles the Great are as good as I thing they might be. We shall see.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 04-25-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:53 PM
Gulfstream Park

Military Attack is undergoing a vet inspection, probably as I type this, in case you are unaware.

The return to 2000m will be much more suitable for Designs on Rome, but neither Viva Pataca or Vengeance of Rain could claim top honours in this after returning from Dubai. Something to think about, but Military Attack missed by only a nose last year.

It's a quick two-week turnaround for Criterion and Red Cadeaux...

Helene Happy Star is progressing well and has a quick turn of foot, but I'd want much more than the current 7.3 offered.

Staphanos turned in a great piece of work the other day, dispelling some concerns about how he didn't travel well. However, this is a big step up for him and I wonder if 1800m is the ceiling for him.

Smoking Sun is a monster price at 70-1. I really fancied his chances at Arlington but the race ended up shaping up very poorly for him. On his day he's a fairly good horse. Don't forget he was 1.5 lengths clear of Military Attack in Singapore last year. Doesn't handle the heavy going so I'm not worried about his return run.

Designs on Rome the one to beat and great value at 3-1 currently, but Smoking Sun very much worth using at that price. Criterion, Red Cadeaux, Helene Happy Star, and Staphanos underneath.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 PM
Saratoga

Thanks for your thoughts. I thought Smoking Sun had just had some isues as well... (?). Hope Military Attack will be okay to run.

SUCKS that Zac is out (kidney stone)... wonder who gets the mount!