Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Saratoga

Dan Excel sheds his G1 bridesmaid tag and wins...
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Saratoga

Revenge of the Class 4 boys!

Great Renown (sic) wins the 4th and pays $548.00 and Bo Bo Express, who had yet to even hit the board since arriving, wins and pays $490.50 in the 5th.

Nice!

Congrats to Dennis Yip of Bulldozer fame (on this forum, anyway ) for being in the top spot in the trainers standings!!!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Saratoga

Was gonna post pics of the three geldings of the apocalypse leaving for Singapore but they are HUGE so instead here's a little blurb about their arrival (avec pics)...

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/s....aspx?id=66512

Oh AND check it out! Go Dennis!

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...ws20130513.asp

"My horses are more important than title"
http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...s20130512a.asp
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Saratoga

Hong Kong Raiders sweep Singapore races!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Saratoga

HKJC...

Proud day for Hong Kong as MILITARY ATTACK joins LUCKY NINE in Singapore G1 glory

19/05/2013

On an amazing night for Hong Kong racing, MILITARY ATTACK followed the lead of compatriot LUCKY NINE some 50 minutes earlier and slammed a top-class field of international rivals at Kranji Racecourse, Singapore (Sunday, 19 May) to give Hong Kong two overseas Group 1 wins on the same day for the first time.

Hong Kong Jockey Club Chief Executive Officer Winfried Engelbrecht-Bresges was delighted with the performances of the Hong Kong horses on what was widely hailed as the best Singapore International Racing Festival ever staged in terms of the quality of the competitors.

“This was an incredible display of excellence and a proud day for all of Hong Kong; you could not ask for anything more,” he said. “It’s really validation of the terrific performances of Hong Kong horses on the world stage.”

MILITARY ATTACK’s victory in the G1 Singapore Airlines International Cup (2000m) was one of added poignancy as it marked the first overseas Group 1 win for veteran Hong Kong trainer John Moore. And after saddling Irian to finish third two years ago and ZAIDAN to run second in 2012, the 63-year-old Australian pulled off a notable quinella as the ever game DAN EXCEL battled to an honourable runner-up finish.

“Mission accomplished,” said an emotional Moore. “This is the topping on the cake – I’ve been trying to do this for years. I’ve run second so many times and to win one, well it’s the pinnacle.

“It’s amazing, he’s just thrived – and to travel like that and come out and break two minutes, where do we go from here?” queried an elated Moore before mentioning that the G1 Cox Plate in Australia could be worth consideration.

“He came into the race with fabulous form and the jockey of the moment and he got a gun ride. He was following Pastorius and Pastorius didn’t go forward – he had to get out pretty quickly and make a run but the way he won was emphatic. It shows that the horse is seriously talented and another overseas run will be on the cards.”

Jockey Zac Purton settled MILITARY ATTACK three back on the fence, just behind stablemate DAN EXCEL. And when the field fanned out off the home turn, MILITARY ATTACK found clear running and quickly put the race to bed with his trademark burst of speed. With his rivals toiling behind, the Oratorio five-year-old stormed to a three and a quarter-lengths verdict over DAN EXCEL in a fast time of 1m 59.58s.

“I couldn’t believe it,” exclaimed Purton. “The race was run at a good tempo and I thought it might have been the undoing for my boy because the 2000m races he’s won, they’ve been softly-run races and he’s been able to beat them with his turn of foot. When they were going along I was thinking they might drag it out of him a little bit but I was able to save all the ground and when I’ve let him down his turn of foot was just amazing.

“I knew I’d put a big gap on them and if anything he’s wanted to wander out a little bit so I’ve had to get the whip out and just keep him going. When I had a look over my shoulder I was just thinking wow - I couldn’t believe how far I was in front. I then basically started idling him down and it’s incredible to think I’ve still won by three and a quarter. We had all the favours and all the right run but the horse still had to do it and he’s done a great job. The last 12 months have been phenomenal for me!”

DAN EXCEL, winner of the G1 Champions Mile only two weeks ago made certain that he played his part in Hong Kong’s big night as he held on gamely by a head from third-placed MAWINGO.

“He’s run his heart out,” said jockey Weichong Marwing of the second Moore trainee. “He’s finished second again, he’s the bridesmaid but it shows he’s very consistent. A better horse beat him but it’s a stable first and second and it’s a great result for Hong Kong.”

Mr Engelbrecht-Bresges hailed the performances of the three horses on what was a stunning night of success.

“I was convinced after MILITARY ATTACK’s win in the APQEII Cup that he would be difficult to beat here,” he said. “DAN EXCEL exceeded my expectation because I wasn’t sure he would stay, and the performance of LUCKY NINE was outstanding; there were some doubts regarding the horse but when he turns up he is one of the best sprinters in the world. It’s a great night and there’s a lot of hard work that goes into a night like this behind the scenes in the stables.

“We are all thrilled for the connections of all three Hong Kong horses. You could feel the Hong Kong pride from many of the fans that travelled to Singapore and I am certain you could feel it back home.”

Mr Engelbrecht-Bresges also paid tribute to the winning riders and the positive impact Hong Kong racing has had on their careers.

“If you look at the jockeys, Brett Prebble and Zac Purton, they are big race jockeys and know where they have to position the horse. Both have proven that riding in Hong Kong helps to produce tactically astute riders that are able to perform under pressure – they were top-class Australian jockeys and they have become top world-class jockeys.”

William A Nader, Executive Director of Racing of the HKJC, also praised the outstanding performance of HK team, “This emphasises the great tradition of outstanding Hong Kong sprinters, which is just one success story after another. LUCKY NINE came out of the gate running and took care of business with complete authority – he was very impressive; then to have MILITARY ATTACK win the SIA Cup so easily with DAN EXCEL second against a very good Group 1 field, absolutely sensational.”

Awesome post race vids...

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/i....aspx?id=66650

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 05-20-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Saratoga

Glorious Days...

http://corporate.hkjc.com/news_image...rious_Days.jpg

... and Helene Spirit...

http://corporate.hkjc.com/news_image...ene_Spirit.jpg

... arriving in Tokyo (for the Yasuda Kinen)!!!

I like their helmets!

Entries for the Standard Chartered Champions and Chater Cup include Californai Memory, Fay Fay and Thumbs Up.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Saratoga

Huge cheers to the beautiful California Memory. the beautiful Matt Chadwick and Tony Cruz for winning the Champions and Chater Cup...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/corporat...052601751.html

http://racing.hkjc.com/racing/video/...no=07&lang=eng

Cheerrs also to Zac Attack Purton for refusing to ride Frederick Engels in the Sha Tin Vase (who was subsequently scratched)... nice to know he continues to be one of the good guys who puts the horse first (awfully close race for the jockey championship and the season will end pretty soon).

D Whyte 84 62 44 41 41 449 $95,593,750
Z Purton 77 73 40 44 28 460 $84,101,850

Not sure about Champion Mount who broke down in R2.

Douggie Whyte and Mosse granted permission to ride in the Yasuda Kinen.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Saratoga

Good luck to Mr. Dennis Yip (who I have loved since the Bulldozer days ) in the epic battle for the trainers title.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Saratoga

Trainer (Yip leads by 2!!!) and Most Improved Horse will be announced at the season final on Wednesday.

Horse of the Year

Military Attack (awesome!)

Mr & Mrs Steven Lo Kit Sing

John Moore

Most Popular Horse of the Year

Military Attack

John Moore

Champion Sprinter

Lucky Nine (yea!!!)

Dr Chang Fuk To & Chang Lee Ming Shum

Caspar Fownes

Champion Miler

Ambitious Dragon

Johnson Lam Pui Hung & Anderson Lam Hin Yue

Anthony Millard

Champion Middle-distance Horse

Military Attack

John Moore

Champion Stayer

California Memory

Howard Liang Yum Shing

Anthony Cruz

Champion Griffin

All You Wish

Carmen Chan Wing Yee & Chan Fut Yan

Dennis Yip

Most Improved Horse

(To be confirmed)

2011/2012 Hong Kong International Sale Bonus

Bullish Friend

Wong Wing Keung (with the million dollar bonus he'll be able to send lots of peppermints to Bullish Luck at Living Legends )

Anthony Cruz

Champion Trainer

(To be confirmed)

Champion Jockey

Douglas Whyte - BOOM!

Champion Apprentice Jockey

Dicky Lui

Most Popular Jockey of the Year

Douglas Whyte
Old 07-09-2013, 06:39 PM
Saratoga

I haven't done this all season so since it's the final race day why not?

R1 - good luck to First Class, the lowest rated horse I've seen. HIs record is a consistent 0-0-0 from 12 and as if things weren't bleak enough Lui has the mount.

Godspeed.

R2 - Looks like the currently pissed off Zac Purton has this locked up with Good Times Roll.

R3 - I hope Cali Girl draws in and I am not one to go for the filly sinply cause she's a filly BUT I think there are presently.... four fillies / mares in HK? I think there were 6 earlier in the year and well there ya go.

She's a 3 year old daughter of Dylan Thomas who hasn't hit the board YET (4 starts) BUT Mr. Cruz needs to give Matt Chadwick the mount and that, as they say, will be that.

If she doesn't draw in it's all about Good Hong Kong with the terribly-and-surprisingly-sexy-when-he's -fighting-with-Zac Purton Durban Demon Mr. Douglas Whyte, champion extraordinaire.

Race 4 - Thank you, Mr. Cruz, for putting Wong on Bullish Boy as I am rooting for Mr. Yip to grab the trainers championship! Awesome!

Dougie will get a double as good King Heradasun will win for the dream team (Size / Whyte).

Lock of the day - R5 - Super Goal Elite for Tony Cruz, Matt Chadwisk up.

R6 - Matt Chadwick gets a double on Prolific Champ for Mr. Cruz

R7 - Destined for Glory, Berry up. There is nothing else to say.

R8 - Theres nothing to suggest Zac can win on Winning Leader for Mr. Dennis Yip but you never know. I have a soft spot for good old Mr. Medici (his 42nd race in HK... hey he's not a gelding! What's up with that?! ). Best horse in the race is the dream teams Dr. Good Habit which means Zac will really be trying to beat him so maybe!

R9 - This is where I think Yip shines and Flying Elite wins and nicely. So has the mount but he won on him last time so I guess he'll be fine. Ride with the Wind, Suborics up, should be right behind.

Hope for the night, aside from the obvious, is that poor Chater Way gets retired and / or sent home.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:23 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post

Lock of the day - R5 - Super Goal Elite for Tony Cruz, Matt Chadwisk up.

R7 - Destined for Glory, Berry up. There is nothing else to say.

R9 - This is where I think Yip shines and Flying Elite wins and nicely. So has the mount but he won on him last time so I guess he'll be fine.
Winnahs.

Pretty exciting stuff... Tony Cruz evens the score and it goes down to the final race but Yip prevails.

Congrats to the champion trainer! Never thought that would happen. How awesome!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post

Most Improved Horse

(To be confirmed)
Winnah - (Yip-trained) All You Wish who started the season with a 52 and ended with 100 (wow!) (5-1-0 from 6).