Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Saratoga

Steve is busy writing the 2nd bible right now on this thread, been like 20 minutes, probably full of words I won't understand
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by santana
Steve i wish you and all your partners a lot of luck in your Dee Tee stable ventures. I didnt make my Gary Sciacca comments because i dislike the guy, but more as a reality check for your partners, I really hope that any of those partners dont invest if they cant afford it. I am sure i have been watching this game for more yrs than you Steve. Knowing plenty of people that have owned and raced in the NY area. People that had a few with guys like A Jerkens and Laz Barrera and a few other of the top ones.
I know you wanna have fun with the partnership, and its all about taking a shot. And yes, i know alot of the angles of owning horses....
Getting a horse to the races, and earning money in the partnership is a huge longshot. I hope you find a huge money earner, but the odds are you wont...
Of the atleast 8 people i have known over the yrs that owned, and with those top trainers running the show......only one guy earned any money.....
With a stable of 10 horses...one horse carried the stable.
So while i wish you luck, hopefully these people that invest...CAN AFFORD to lose the money they more than likely to lose.
Appreciate the expanded comments and acknowledge you've got it right in all you detail above.. And I didn't mean to come off harshly in my defense of Gary and EVERY guy out there who "hasn't forgot how to train"...

Increasingly, I'm joining the trainer community in their frustration with the growing direction of ownership that is pitching their tent exclusively with guys that DON'T NEED their support and who are 'pushing the envelope' in any way conceivable to win. It is reprehensible to me that a guy suspended for 6 months PICKED UP NEW CLIENTS (including Bev Lewis) while on a flagrant medication violation. It's disgusting that the supposed upper echelon of owners in this country wants to win so badly that they throw their support behind guys that are generally believed to be "taking an advantage".

Indeed, our venture is not out to make money in any way... It's designed to get as many people into 'ownership' as possible in a low risk/set price contribution to the acquisition of the bloodstock. After that, it's Chuck and Gary paying the freight in exchange for 50% of any and all earnings. And what we're doing is working as Chuck has already picked up 2 new clients and several horses via the attention received as a director in Dee Tee. Gary too is on an upswing again after an extended drought that began with the death of his two top owners. He got a former Clement client this week and 2 new wealthy owners that are at KEE with him this week to buy an early book yearling or two.

Guys like Chuck and Gary and dozens more deserve the respect and support of those interested in ownership based on their long histories of success in the game at the bloodstock identification and afternoon competition levels of racing. It's impossible to produce gaudy win percentages with inferior stock, and it's impossible to gain quality stock when prospective owners base their decision on phony win percentages padded on an uneven playing field.

Did Gary Contessa suddenly 'learn' how to train after years as an unabashed mediocrity? I don't think so.. Has Jim Toner or Del Carroll forgotten how to train suddenly after decades as 15-18% trainers? I don't think so.. I'm sure you get my point here...
Old 09-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
You've done exactly what Steve admonished someone not to do: use the winning percentage as a measure of a trainer's ability or qualifications.
How do you know what I'm doing? I'm making the point that if you want to attack trainers with low percentages, you should start with guys like Pletcher and Contessa, who inarguably oversee better stock than Sciacca.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 PM
The Curragh

Time for bed kids there's school in the morning....."g'night all" here's hoping "Deep Dish" is live yet again in two years as a DT purchase he trains wins one of the 3 dozzen BC races that will be run by that time with the stable donating a million to combat inhumane treatment of horses.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 PM
Santa Anita

I like the mission of Dee Tee Stable to provide low cost ownership opportunities of fine horses. It's not a matter of, as Santana said, just buy 6 expensive horses throw their s**t on a wall and hope some sticks enough to cover expenses for the rest. Reasonably priced horses, low overhead, that have great training, can win. I am pleased to be a member of a board comprided of lovers of the game, that have seized the opportunity to participate. And we all share the same dreams while keeping our feet planted squarely on the ground.

Ok, here's some good trainer bios: Mr. Sciacca is on pg 40.
http://nyra.com/Belmont/mediaguide/0...ersSection.pdf

Last edited by sumitas : 09-09-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by santana
Steve i wish you and all your partners a lot of luck in your Dee Tee stable ventures. I didnt make my Gary Sciacca comments because i dislike the guy, but more as a reality check for your partners, I really hope that any of those partners dont invest if they cant afford it. I am sure i have been watching this game for more yrs than you Steve. Knowing plenty of people that have owned and raced in the NY area. People that had a few with guys like A Jerkens and Laz Barrera and a few other of the top ones.
I know you wanna have fun with the partnership, and its all about taking a shot. And yes, i know alot of the angles of owning horses....
Getting a horse to the races, and earning money in the partnership is a huge longshot. I hope you find a huge money earner, but the odds are you wont...
Of the atleast 8 people i have known over the yrs that owned, and with those top trainers running the show......only one guy earned any money.....
With a stable of 10 horses...one horse carried the stable.
So while i wish you luck, hopefully these people that invest...CAN AFFORD to lose the money they more than likely to lose.
That's exactly it, Steve, Chuck and Gary have made it affordable for the "little guy" in this sport. Since most on this board are gamblers, I think we all have a pretty good idea of what we can afford.

I know you get it, but do you really get it?

Thanks for looking out for me. You don't happen to work in the Government do you?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
No one is investing in this to make money. We are in it to have fun and be able to have the experience of owning a horse. This isn't your traditional partnership. We put in $500 up front and never have to pay another expense the rest of the way, all expenses are paid for by the trainer. I don't think that is going to bankrupt anyone.
Unfortunately, a lot of "blockheads" that post here don't understand this. It's a simple small investment that has reap rewards money can't buy. This year's Spa meet was extra special; meeting the members, making new friends and seeing a horse you part own run two times at Saratoga. A simple $500 investment bought that!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2007, 07:53 AM
The Curragh

Great news regarding NYB!!!

I drive from LI to Queens/Brooklyn everyday. Any excuse to get to Belmont and Big A more often is good for me...

Looking forward to it!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
Unfortunately, a lot of "blockheads" that post here don't understand this. It's a simple small investment that has reap rewards money can't buy. This year's Spa meet was extra special; meeting the members, making new friends and seeing a horse you part own run two times at Saratoga. A simple $500 investment bought that!
Yes,Yes.There's more going on here than anyone thinking there's a large pot of gold to be captured but if you don't chase the rainbows you may never find it.For my wife & I this is as much a social activity as my college football season tickets,the preferred parking as well as the social interaction & "Donations" made are far more expensive than this venture but you can't put a price tag on great fun,friends,entertainment & dreams.Someday my college team my make a BCS bowl game & SWLY will win a graded stake, but I'm also a realist that enjoys good friends & fun times. 1 SHARE SWLY $500, MONEY WON TRAVELING & FOLLOWING SWLY BY WAGERING ON HER & OTHER RACES OF THE WEEKEND $3200 & SEEING STEVE DRESS UP LIKE DICK TRACY---PRICELESS
Old 09-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggle24
Yes,Yes.There's more going on here than anyone thinking there's a large pot of gold to be captured but if you don't chase the rainbows you may never find it.For my wife & I this is as much a social activity as my college football season tickets,the preferred parking as well as the social interaction & "Donations" made are far more expensive than this venture but you can't put a price tag on great fun,friends,entertainment & dreams.Someday my college team my make a BCS bowl game & SWLY will win a graded stake, but I'm also a realist that enjoys good friends & fun times. 1 SHARE SWLY $500, MONEY WON TRAVELING & FOLLOWING SWLY BY WAGERING ON HER & OTHER RACES OF THE WEEKEND $3200 & SEEING STEVE DRESS UP LIKE DICK TRACY---PRICELESS

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Santa Anita

Oh yes. I like Contessa for what he did for Golden Tent. I do recall that he trained Truley Alone to several vistories at Belmont. Then she was claimed and was off for quite a while. She has won a couple lower level races since at Philly but she was never the same after the claim.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
ROFLMAO!!!! A True likeness
Old 09-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Santa Anita

Here's Wood Winner , Prime Timber/Near Silver-Lac Ouimet, upsetting the field last Fri. @ Belmont. Trained by Gary Sciacca.
http://www.racereplays.com/nybreds/i...cename=friday1
Old 09-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Keeneland

Well, here is some interesting fallout from Dee Tee Stables ....

When Sumwonlovesyou raced at Arlington (I grew up there), about 8 of my local relatives come out to watch her. None of them had ever been to the track before, nor watched racing on TV.

They all were wonderfully impressed by how beautiful and clean Arlington was, how excited all the owners were, and how exciting it was to "know" a real horse that was racing that day.

We all stood in line, with a very nice and helpful mutual teller, as I lead them one by one through how to place a $2, "across the board" bet on Sumwon. They couldn't believe how much FUN the DT owners were having that day.

My 70-something aunt just telephoned. I had sent her the DT Prospectus for DT-2. Well, she and her four tennis-playing buddies at the local club WANT IN on DT 2 for one share. Two of them want to upgrade their computers to learn how to "search the net" and read the DeeTee Stables blog, and learn more about horse racing.

You go, girls! I told them, yes, absolutely, I hope they follow through with it, and go for it.

Five new horse racing fans created by Dee Tee Stables ...
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Golden Gate

I've been turning my relatives and friends into degenerates too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Well, here is some interesting fallout from Dee Tee Stables ....

When Sumwonlovesyou raced at Arlington (I grew up there), about 8 of my local relatives come out to watch her. None of them had ever been to the track before, nor watched racing on TV.

They all were wonderfully impressed by how beautiful and clean Arlington was, how excited all the owners were, and how exciting it was to "know" a real horse that was racing that day.

We all stood in line, with a very nice and helpful mutual teller, as I lead them one by one through how to place a $2, "across the board" bet on Sumwon. They couldn't believe how much FUN the DT owners were having that day.

My 70-something aunt just telephoned. I had sent her the DT Prospectus for DT-2. Well, she and her four tennis-playing buddies at the local club WANT IN on DT 2 for one share. Two of them want to upgrade their computers to learn how to "search the net" and read the DeeTee Stables blog, and learn more about horse racing.

You go, girls! I told them, yes, absolutely, I hope they follow through with it, and go for it.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Thumbs up Kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot

Thats a great story ! & a wonderful way to introduce people to the wonderful game we love !
Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Keeneland

Well, if Steve gets a check from "The Wheaton Tennis Terribles", hopefully he'll just cash it and send them a DT silks pin!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-10-2007, 10:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Continues a trend of "healthy" trainers...
Yes - now that DT Stables have secured their two guards - I'd look to adding Scott Schwartz and Eric Guillot as tackles - and perhaps Nick Hines as the center.

Bring in Roger Stein off the bench on 4th and inches when you have to call upon the Beef Formation.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Yes - now that DT Stables have secured their two guards - I'd look to adding Scott Schwartz and Eric Guillot as tackles - and perhaps Nick Hines as the center.

Bring in Roger Stein off the bench on 4th and inches when you have to call upon the Beef Formation.
i was a two-way tackle in HS so i'm ready to come off the bench or for a goal line stand.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Santa Anita

In this race Tactical Gold was behind a mass of muscle while Wood Winner had a clear head of steam down the outside. TG swung around the wall of blockers, made a strong run but Wood Winner was firmly in the lead to become the upset winner. So the blocking helps