Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Can you tell us anything, genius?

I can tell you alot of things for sure.......and Gary is not one of your better trainers in the NY AREA...
I could name so many other trainers, but why would i do that..I can leave that to you. I would imagine he wouldnt be one of your top 3 choices ....or would he?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut
I mailed it like a month ago (maybe longer) have you been away that long?
Yeah that's my home away from home. The ghetto fabulous pad.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by santana
I can tell you alot of things for sure.......and Gary is not one of your better trainers in the NY AREA...
I could name so many other trainers, but why would i do that..I can leave that to you. I would imagine he wouldnt be one of your top 3 choices ....or would he?
Don't think you read the post by Steve - Gary has had success and I don't think you understand DeeTee Stables. We aren't hiring a trainer. We are bringing in a partner to train. There is a difference.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Mr Sciacca certainly isnt one of the top trainers in the NY area.
Although i coudnt tell you his percentage for the year, i am pretty sure it i dismal...
Maybe his day rate is cheaper than the rest of the better trainers ?
Normally I wouldn't respond to this or your snide answer to Cajun further in the thread, but I will say a couple of things... What is 'dismal' is the ignorance associated with the spouting of 'win percentage' as a measure of a trainers' 'ability' or 'qualifications'. It is the most laughable and amateurish stat quoted by anyone attempting to diminish the stature or prowess of a horseman, and demonstrates in its' employment only a total lack of comprehension of the game as it is exists right now.

And since we aren't charged a day rate by Chuck or Gary, that shows yet further lack of understanding of what Dee Tee is doing with our partnership. One of the most important aspects of our project is the desire to demonstrate that horsemanship is available to owners beyond Pletcher and Asmussen and the sundry other mega-stables currently en route to destroying the game.

Gary Sciacca bought Subordination for Seth Klarman (Klaravich) for $95,000 and won more than $1,200,000 with him and multiple Gr. I's. What has one of those other alleged 'superior NY horseman' done with the millions upon millions he's spent of Klaravich's money? You clearly have no idea what drives a trainer's career and makes him 'high percentage' at any one time or 'low percentage' at another. So while you're free to spout an unenlightened 'opinion' here, be aware that most will see right through it.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Normally I wouldn't respond to this or your snide answer to Cajun further in the thread, but I will say a couple of things... What is 'dismal' is the ignorance associated with the spouting of 'win percentage' as a measure of a trainers' 'ability' or 'qualifications'. It is the most laughable and amateurish stat quoted by anyone attempting to diminish the stature or prowess of a horseman, and demonstrates in its' employment only a total lack of comprehension of the game as it is exists right now.

And since we aren't charged a day rate by Chuck or Gary, that shows yet further lack of understanding of what Dee Tee is doing with our partnership. One of the most important aspects of our project is the desire to demonstrate that horsemanship is available to owners beyond Pletcher and Asmussen and the sundry other mega-stables currently en route to destroying the game.

Gary Sciacca bought Subordination for Seth Klarman (Klaravich) for $95,000 and won more than $1,200,000 with him and multiple Gr. I's. What has one of those other alleged 'superior NY horseman' done with the millions upon millions he's spent of Klaravich's money? You clearly have no idea what drives a trainer's career and makes him 'high percentage' at any one time or 'low percentage' at another. So while you're free to spout an unenlightened 'opinion' here, be aware that most will see right through it.
Go get em' Steve......Great reply.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Coach Pants

I echo trifecta's sentiments.

I echo tri...ehh
Old 09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I echo trifecta's sentiments.

I echo tri...ehh
What Steve said was so eloquent I had to congratulate him twice
Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Calder Race Course

what some "high percentage" trainer's stats wont tell you is that they paid $600,000 for a horse ran him 6 times in two years, won 3 times.. thats 50%...

BUT what about the thousands to feed and vet the horse and the owner might be lucky to recover $100,000 in purses... still they are "batting 50%", but lost $525,000 on their client's horse.

For some high profile barns the win % # is a skewed number. Sure the trainer is making money, but is the client?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Mr Sciacca certainly isnt one of the top trainers in the NY area.
Although i coudnt tell you his percentage for the year, i am pretty sure it i dismal...
Maybe his day rate is cheaper than the rest of the better trainers ?
Saratoga 2007:
Pletcher 13/113 11.5%
Sciacca 3/40 7.5%

...and Sciacca's runners are about 1/10th the price of the vaunted Pletcher empire's. I'd say he's doing a damn good job.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Saratoga 2007:
Pletcher 13/113 11.5%
Sciacca 3/40 7.5%

...and Sciacca's runners are about 1/10th the price of the vaunted Pletcher empire's. I'd say he's doing a damn good job.
Let's not forget Contessa. 13-for-149, good for a stellar 8.7%.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Coach Pants

I found a picture of santana on his myspace page...

Old 09-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Let's not forget Contessa. 13-for-149, good for a stellar 8.7%.
Sightseek's Personality Percentage breakdown:

Pletcher = .0000234%
Sciacca = 110%
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I found a picture of santana on his myspace page...

so what is the deal with the spray bottle and jar of vaseline?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Flemington

More importantly than any trainer percentage or what have you is that Steve has done a beautiful job in finding exactly the right ground for all of us as a stable to thrive, learn and enjoy and I'm more than certain that he had done it yet again with this possible new edition.

Tonight I was reading an article in the Blood-Horse about the upcoming sale at Keeneland and they interviewed Cot Campbell, who as we all know has seen a great deal of success, yet his partnerships are founded on members having a 23.75% interest in a horse because he thinks "each partner should feel closely involved with the horses". Well you know what? We all own less than 2% of Sumwon and I feel very involved and connected with this partnership.

So in the end, this isn't about trainer percentages or ownership percentages, it's for the love of the game and these animals who give so much to us each and every day.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Hawthorne

Sciacca has always been a great trainer in NY. I am happy to welcome him to the Dee Tee Stable.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
You've done exactly what Steve admonished someone not to do: use the winning percentage as a measure of a trainer's ability or qualifications.
Contessa is exempt from the usual rules
Old 09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Ellis Park

Steve i wish you and all your partners a lot of luck in your Dee Tee stable ventures. I didnt make my Gary Sciacca comments because i dislike the guy, but more as a reality check for your partners, I really hope that any of those partners dont invest if they cant afford it. I am sure i have been watching this game for more yrs than you Steve. Knowing plenty of people that have owned and raced in the NY area. People that had a few with guys like A Jerkens and Laz Barrera and a few other of the top ones.
I know you wanna have fun with the partnership, and its all about taking a shot. And yes, i know alot of the angles of owning horses....
Getting a horse to the races, and earning money in the partnership is a huge longshot. I hope you find a huge money earner, but the odds are you wont...
Of the atleast 8 people i have known over the yrs that owned, and with those top trainers running the show......only one guy earned any money.....
With a stable of 10 horses...one horse carried the stable.
So while i wish you luck, hopefully these people that invest...CAN AFFORD to lose the money they more than likely to lose.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Steve i wish you and all your partners a lot of luck in your Dee Tee stable ventures. I didnt make my Gary Sciacca comments because i dislike the guy, but more as a reality check for your partners, I really hope that any of those partners dont invest if they cant afford it. I am sure i have been watching this game for more yrs than you Steve. Knowing plenty of people that have owned and raced in the NY area. People that had a few with guys like A Jerkens and Laz Barrera and a few other of the top ones.
I know you wanna have fun with the partnership, and its all about taking a shot. And yes, i know alot of the angles of owning horses....
Getting a horse to the races, and earning money in the partnership is a huge longshot. I hope you find a huge money earner, but the odds are you wont...
Of the atleast 8 people i have known over the yrs that owned, and with those top trainers running the show......only one guy earned any money.....
With a stable of 10 horses...one horse carried the stable.
So while i wish you luck, hopefully these people that invest...CAN AFFORD to lose the money they more than likely to lose.
No one is investing in this to make money. We are in it to have fun and be able to have the experience of owning a horse. This isn't your traditional partnership. We put in $500 up front and never have to pay another expense the rest of the way, all expenses are paid for by the trainer. I don't think that is going to bankrupt anyone.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Saratoga

Now here is the real question, Can Sciacca type and how fast will it take for him to become an internet legend?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Randwyck

I wish all the partners all the best. While making money, making the races, etc., is never a guarantee, I am sure what is guaranteed here is having fun -- and boy can you have fun with Gary.

The people who are involved and who are putting forth their time, efforts, money and everything else should and will enjoy themselves. This truly is the "greatest game" -- and they should not spend one second of time jutifying anything to anybody; especially the people who are doing nothing more than being a source of negativity.

Enjoy and best of luck!!!

Eric