Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2020, 08:42 AM
Oriental Park

Default Venue for Nov 28, thoughts

So we have three nice turf stakes races at DelMar and G2 stakes races for 2YO one for fillies and one for colts at CD. As soon as the entries are posted on DRF, I'll put together a proposed combo card.

Other thoughts?
Old 11-24-2020, 09:20 AM
The Curragh

California Dreamin In My Ole Kentucky Home

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-24-2020, 09:35 AM
Havre de Grace

It's a shame they couldn't have run the Clark at Churchill on Saturday. I was thinking that we had played it in the past. There's really no hope for a person when you start remembering things that didn't happen.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
It's a shame they couldn't have run the Clark at Churchill on Saturday. I was thinking that we had played it in the past. There's really no hope for a person when you start remembering things that didn't happen.
If it makes you feel a bit better, Cal, I have played the race quite often in the past! I did think it was run the Friday after Thanksgiving because a buddy and I went to a PA OTB near Bethlehem often on a Thanksgiving Friday. I think Thanksgiving Saturday was/is a day with a bunch of 2 year old races.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:16 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
If it makes you feel a bit better, Cal, I have played the race quite often in the past! I did think it was run the Friday after Thanksgiving because a buddy and I went to a PA OTB near Bethlehem often on a Thanksgiving Friday. I think Thanksgiving Saturday was/is a day with a bunch of 2 year old races.
I've played it a few times too, but sometimes hard for me to remember what I did a few hours ago and almost impossible to remember what I did last year, but ask me where I was when JFK was assassinated and what was going on then and I remember it clear as day. Course I was only 19 then. Seems like eons have passed since those days and speaking of that, was it not 11/22/63? I don't think I saw a thing in the news media about it. Is it possible that America has forgotten or did I just miss it?
Old 11-24-2020, 06:18 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
but ask me where I was when JFK was assassinated and what was going on then and I remember it clear as day. Course I was only 19 then. Seems like eons have passed since those days and speaking of that, was it not 11/22/63? I don't think I saw a thing in the news media about it. Is it possible that America has forgotten or did I just miss it?
The only mention of 11/22 being the anniversary of JFK's assassination in our local paper was a one sentence entry in the "Today in History" area that AP puts together. It received exactly the same mention as today's entry of 11/24/63 when Jack Ruby shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald while live TV cameras were rolling.

Perhaps the noise from a combination of the never ending election cycle and the COVID-19 pandemic have just drowned out everything else; I've had the belief for some time that we don't spend enough time learning about either our history or about basic civics, and we are the worse off for that.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
The only mention of 11/22 being the anniversary of JFK's assassination in our local paper was a one sentence entry in the "Today in History" area that AP puts together. It received exactly the same mention as today's entry of 11/24/63 when Jack Ruby shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald while live TV cameras were rolling.

Perhaps the noise from a combination of the never ending election cycle and the COVID-19 pandemic have just drowned out everything else; I've had the belief for some time that we don't spend enough time learning about either our history or about basic civics, and we are the worse off for that.
I agree, but I am biased toward learning history having taken Western Civ, U.S History, Russian History, African History, History of the South and Political Science which in my view was just more history.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I agree, but I am biased toward learning history having taken Western Civ, U.S History, Russian History, African History, History of the South and Political Science which in my view was just more history.
WOW that is just crazy to me anyway. I've learned more about history after being out of school than in it. But that's just me. BTW growing up is up state NY, I m quite buff on Indian, Iroquois Nation history. My father was a Indian artifacts pro for most f his adult life. Interestingly enough when I was at Clemson, we lived near Seneca, South Carolina. The small city/town was named after the Seneca tribe that was part of the Iroquois Nation until they probably got tired of the wicked winters (smart Indians) and migrated to South Carolina.

The writings and history of the Iroquois Nation which covered most of New York, went east and quite far up into Canada was a very well developed, governed and managed sub-nation made of up of many different tribes. You may have read or heard of the "Long Houses' they held their tribal meetings in. It's also said that they played a game much like lacrosse is played today. They were much more advanced than most understand. When the "White Man" came, invaded and settled in those areas it was basically destroyed.

Footnote: my father had an Indian artifacts collection larger than the local historic museum in the area. After he died I agreed to basically donate it all to them for a very small fee to cover moving it all there and a Starbucks. Starbucks, HA HA HA, just kidding.

Last edited by DonGuido : 11-24-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 PM
Havre de Grace

I guess because I studied so much history, I might have a little more appreciation for that sort of thing than the average person, but really, I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of what I learned. Maybe if I had become a teacher, which is what I planned to do, then what I learned might have been anchored in my memory, but I didn't so it's not there anymore.

Can't say that I know much about the Native Americans. I've seen those long houses in books and I think the Native Americans that you are talking about might have belonged to what was referred to as the Seven Civilized Tribes or something like that?

My older brothers used to have a collection of artifacts from a tribe that lived in this area called the Caddo. A river here in Arkansas is named after them and a parish down in Louisiana was named after them as well as a lake.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:24 AM
Oriental Park

The tangents that this thread has taken from its original title have made for very interesting reading. It is rewarding to share a forum with so many well read folks who have a curiosity about such varied things.

I just want to wish each of you a very Happy Thanksgiving and please stay well.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:00 AM
Havre de Grace

Hope you and yours have good one too Joly and hope our missing players all return safe and sound. I see that Steve has posted something from Fairgrounds opening day. Won't be long before we'll all be learning about the new cast of characters in the quest for Derby Trail glory. Amazing how many have retired since Breeder's Cup. Guess I just never noticed that happening to such an extent before. Anyway, hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-25-2020, 04:02 PM
Havre de Grace

Funny, we were talking about Native American tribes last night and I mentioned the Caddo were Native Americans in these parts and that a river was named after them. I just noticed on the future bets listing that there is a horse named Caddo River. Horse is owned by Mr. John Ed Anthony and trained by Brad Cox. Wouldn't be surprised if we saw that one at Fairgrounds or maybe at Oaklawn.

Some might remember some of Mr. Anthony's horses. His Loblolly Stables had Pine Bluff, Temperance Hill, Vanlandingham and Cox's Ridge as well as others. I think most of these were trained by Shug McGaughey or maybe some by Joe Cantey. Mr. Anthony named his horses after towns and landmarks and even people (the Vanlandinghams)here in Arkansas. I think he made his money in the timberlands here and therefore the name Loblolly which is a type of pine tree. Story goes, if I'm getting it right, that after he was divorced, his wife got all the horses, so now his stable is called Short-leaf which I think is another name for pine trees.

Last edited by cal828 : 11-25-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Havre de Grace

Only partially right about the trainers. Shug trained Vanlandingham. Pine Bluff and another horse, Prairie Bayou were trained by Thomas Bohannon. Both won the Preakness. Temperance Hill and Cox's Ridge were trained by Joe Cantey. Temperance Hill won the Belmont Stakes.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:33 AM
The Curragh

Default Thanksgiving

Not Just On One Designated Day
But Always
Thankful To Have You In My Life

Friendship Is The Foundation
Of A Happy Heart 💜

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 11-26-2020, 09:43 AM
The Curragh

Default Roamin Update