Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Del Mar

Default Stress Kills: Ken Lay Dead at 64

Ken Lay died today of a heart attack at 64 years old. All of that stress of the last few years must have really weighed on him.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
boldruler

Screw that guy. He was garbage. He deserved to rot away in prision somewhere. A heart attack was too good for him.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I assume you're being sarcastic, Rupert? I find it hard to believe there are any Kenny Boy supporters out there...

There's another thread on this on the OT board.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
I assume you're being sarcastic, Rupert? I find it hard to believe there are any Kenny Boy supporters out there...

There's another thread on this on the OT board.
I wasn't being supportive of him. I was just pointing out how stress can kill you. Lay was obviously thinking that he was going to prison and was going to have to spend his life in prison. The constant stress and worry was probably one of the things that killed him. I was just pointing that out. I'm no fan of Ken Lay.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
BellamyRd.

There was another fella who died in prison connected with the Clinton Whitewater scandal. These white-collar guys are cut out for the joint.
In my former homestate of AL, Gov. Don Seigalman is headed to the big house.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:32 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellamyRd.
There was another fella who died in prison connected with the Clinton Whitewater scandal. These white-collar guys are cut out for the joint.
In my former homestate of AL, Gov. Don Seigalman is headed to the big house.
They need to get rid of these country club prisons. I have a feeling they would think twice if they knew they were headed to a real prison.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Santa Anita

These guys think they are above the law. He got off easy.

But this is an OT thread not one for the paddock.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 PM

To quote Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people". There is never joy in the death of a man/woman...and it's not up to any of us to say what he "deserved". May his soul find peace until it's return...
Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
To quote Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people". There is never joy in the death of a man/woman...and it's not up to any of us to say what he "deserved". May his soul find peace until it's return...
Well I guess I have a small mind then, because his death makes me happy. I just wished he had a more painful death. Eleanor Roosevelt was a great woman but nobody every stole her retirement money, in fact her retirement money was given to her at birth.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Well I guess I have a small mind then, because his death makes me happy. I just wished he had a more painful death. Eleanor Roosevelt was a great woman but nobody every stole her retirement money, in fact her retirement money was given to her at birth.
Your words say more about you than anyone else can...I hope that bitterness subsides before it consumes you! Glad you aren't in my shoes...just wish I wasn't...but even my situation will change, it always does!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Your words say more about you than anyone else can...I hope that bitterness subsides before it consumes you! Glad you aren't in my shoes...just wish I wasn't...but even my situation will change, it always does!
The guy stole a fortune from people, ruined their lives, and then put it all into life insurance and annuities instead of giving it back. If he admitted to what he did and gave back the money then I might have a little sympathy. The fact is he was a criminal right up until the day he died. The guy is worse than garbage and so is his wife and family who will be living like royalty on money they stole from working people.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Cunningham Racing

I just wish he invested some of that dirty money into our industry before he croaked.....after second thought, nevermind that...we don't need any more corrupt people in our gane than there already are...RIP, Ken..for you'll always be known as the most shamed CEO in the history of commerce...Anyone believe in karma?
Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
The guy stole a fortune from people, ruined their lives, and then put it all into life insurance and annuities instead of giving it back. If he admitted to what he did and gave back the money then I might have a little sympathy. The fact is he was a criminal right up until the day he died. The guy is worse than garbage and so is his wife and family who will be living like royalty on money they stole from working people.

We are talking about different things....I have no love for what the man did, I know what it's like to be taken advantage of by folks you trust and to suddenly find yourself with nothing...believe me! My only point was clearly stated...there is no joy in the death of a man/woman!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
oracle80

I certainly think what Lay did was atrocious. Horrible. And I think that living the last part of his life with the shame and humiliation and thought of going to prison was a pretty good punishment.
I am not going to celebrate his death or his family's pain.
I don't know that I believe in Karma Joel, but if I did, the last thing I would do would be to gloat over someone's death.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I wasn't being supportive of him. I was just pointing out how stress can kill you. Lay was obviously thinking that he was going to prison and was going to have to spend his life in prison. The constant stress and worry was probably one of the things that killed him. I was just pointing that out. I'm no fan of Ken Lay.
My apologies, Rupert! And very depressing to think that he could cheerfully bilk people out of millions (and let's not forget what Enron did in California), but getting caught-- now THAT could stress him out. Sigh...

Though I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find out it was suicide, not stress.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Say what you want about him ... but ...

... but you can't deny that the guy made terrific potato chips.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I certainly think what Lay did was atrocious. Horrible. And I think that living the last part of his life with the shame and humiliation and thought of going to prison was a pretty good punishment.
I am not going to celebrate his death or his family's pain.
I don't know that I believe in Karma Joel, but if I did, the last thing I would do would be to gloat over someone's death.
I can't be happy over anyone's death, not Lay or anyone. After al, it's just not right and hell, he could come back as a horse I have singled and need real bad.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your open heart on it, Somer, but I'm with Boldruler on this one. I feel like he escaped justice and it makes... me... mad... a lot of people lost a lot of money and are going to be working for the rest of their lives, with no retirement possible, because of this man. I don't think death is the worst of all possible fates-- he got off easy. I really wish I believed in hell.

But Eleanor Roosevelt is still da bomb and that is an excellent quote- thanks for posting it!
Old 07-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Cunningham Racing

...you are absolutely hilarious....I have a new nickname for you and it is called IGNITOR.....you are trying really hard for an exchange, but I won't entertain it...don't put words in my mouth about 'gloating over his death'....I am not a fan of ANYONE dying (well, unless it is Bin Laden) and I simply stated his place in hostory as a business man - not a person....I curtiously gave him an RIP...I'm not saying he deserved to die for being a corrupt business man..obviously, nobody deserves to die for that....I just found it rather interesting that he croaked a few years removed from this famous scandal......because of him, most corporations are now mandated for their employees to partcipate in the Sarbanes-Oxley Act training of business ethics.....I've had to do it and it is not a pleasant usage of your time at work...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Flemington

Surprised somebody didn't off him before now.Every other Hee Haw down there has a truck and a gun.They couldn't find 1 bullet for this guy?