Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
The Barbaro tragedy and the Arlington scandal are exposing this game for the real problems that exist. That is the welfare of the horse does not matter when it comes to the business of the tracks.

And this is just not acceptable and must be stopped.

just wondering if you could explain how it's the tracks fault that barbaro took a bad step?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Horse racing from the birth of a horse to the death of a horse is not very humane. The good horses are taken care, but are treated like prisoners. Go to any breeding farm and you see a horse in a stall that is like 10x10. The horse it let out for sex and maybe 1 hour of exercise a day in the pasture. The horse is treated like a prisoner. The racing aspect is even worse, you pump the horse full of drugs, barely feed it, put a person on its back and whip it so it can cross the finish line 1st. Horse racing isnt for the horse, it is for a human's pleasure. Everyone on this board love horses and there is no disputing that. However, would some of us still love the horses if there wasnt racing involved. Would we even care about horses if someone didnt introduce us to horse wagering? For me the answer is yes. I struggle with this all the time. If I love something, I want the best for them. I think horses love to race and compete. I really believe there is an inate characteristic in horses to compete. But, I don't think horses appreciate having their testicles cut off, being whipped, being drugged and only eating the amount that keeps them best fit. I would love to see the day where whips are out-lawed in horse racing, I would love to see the day where horses can roam freely in the pasture instead of being locked up in a small stall. Take the money and gambling out of horse racing and we would see how many people trule love horses.
i follow horse racing because i love horses. i can count on one hand the amount of times i've gone to see live racing and put bets down. yeah, the sport could use a few changes, it wouldn't break my heart to never see a whip in a jocks hand again. i think drugs are overused and abused. on the other hand, these horses are actually pampered and petted, and receive daily exercise and the best care. they outlive by decades their counterparts in the wild. many of them live in better housing than most adults! horses aren't fed 'just enough' to keep them fit. they get top notch feed and hay morning, noon, night and the middle of the night.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
The Barbaro tragedy and the Arlington scandal are exposing this game for the real problems that exist. That is the welfare of the horse does not matter when it comes to the business of the tracks.

And this is just not acceptable and must be stopped.
Sumitas,
You and I go way back. I like you.
You have knowledge about breeding that others dream of having.
I also don't like the break downs...not the least.
Hey, I know some people that watch NASCAR just waiting for a crash. To some people, it gives them something. To me it's very sad.
As far as Barbaro is concerned, in my humble opinion, it wasn't the track or lack of vet check. It was a bad step. Lots will say, we shoulda, coulda...
but that doesn't address the reality of the "now".
As far as Arlington, there is an ongoing investigation. There's also a good article at the bottom of the Bloodhorse page. Worth reading.
No owners or trainers want to see their horses run hurt.
Yes, horse racing is a business. I don't see a connect between Barbaro and Arlington.
Although some things are unacceptable, like with all things, there is risk.
There really ARE people looking into ways to prevent tragedies.
Most of those that I know in the business get no joy from watching a crash.
They DO have the best interests of their horses first and foremost.
When something bad happens, everyone is sad.
When something good happens, well, the risks are forgotten, and smiles abound. That's racing. It's like asking a bettor if he remembers a day of bad bets or a day when he scored big.
Just my two pennies worth.
Still like you.
DTS
Old 07-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Horse racing from the birth of a horse to the death of a horse is not very humane. The good horses are taken care, but are treated like prisoners. Go to any breeding farm and you see a horse in a stall that is like 10x10. The horse it let out for sex and maybe 1 hour of exercise a day in the pasture. The horse is treated like a prisoner. The racing aspect is even worse, you pump the horse full of drugs, barely feed it, put a person on its back and whip it so it can cross the finish line 1st. Horse racing isnt for the horse, it is for a human's pleasure. Everyone on this board love horses and there is no disputing that. However, would some of us still love the horses if there wasnt racing involved. Would we even care about horses if someone didnt introduce us to horse wagering? For me the answer is yes. I struggle with this all the time. If I love something, I want the best for them. I think horses love to race and compete. I really believe there is an inate characteristic in horses to compete. But, I don't think horses appreciate having their testicles cut off, being whipped, being drugged and only eating the amount that keeps them best fit. I would love to see the day where whips are out-lawed in horse racing, I would love to see the day where horses can roam freely in the pasture instead of being locked up in a small stall. Take the money and gambling out of horse racing and we would see how many people trule love horses.
Eurobounce, your points on cruelty are well taken, but I think maybe you're a little off the mark in terms of feeding and use of whips and turn-out. Thoroughbreds can't really be left out all day because they'll wear themselves out-- if they spend the day racing each other along the fences of their pastures (wasn't it said even into his 20s Man O' War would still try to race the young 'uns?) they'll have nothing left for the races.

Horses of any profession have to have their diets monitored-- horses will happily eat themselves to death if given the chance. They aren't stupid; they evolved into plains-roaming animals that subsisted on a diet of very few calories, so they had to eat all day long. Just because they now have high-calorie, commercially produced feed doesn't break all those millenia of conditioning to eat as much as they can whenever they can (actually, I think people have some of the same issues-- I don't think the urge to overeat is as much emotional as it is evolutionary, which makes it much harder to overcome!). And whips can be punishment, yes, but judiciously used, they are encouragement-- a reminder to keep focused and now it's time to go go go! They also can get a horse to steer rapidly away from a bad situation. I'm purely a pleasure rider and I NEVER go out without a crop, even if I don't use it. And I'm sure not racing anybody, especially on poky old Bach (long story-- my morning ride today...).

But you're right; overuse of the whip is mean and unnecessary and I think there could be more rules against excessive whip use. And honestly, I think one of the best things racing could do is to cut back the racing schedule-- give the horses several months off where they CAN run around all day and graze and just be horses. Overwork is no fun for anyone.

And no stallions at stud before the age of five! (Someone said that on the ESPN board and it was much lauded) If you have to keep them fit and sound until then I think people would breed for soundness and maybe they'd race longer.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Whipping?

Utter nonsense.

Some race horses ... who are the contenders in a race ... get a a few seconds worth of smacks every few weeks on average. Some get nothing at all.

I don't think a horse's rump or psyche are so fragile ... that they can't handle a very occasional dose of stinging. It beats the heck out of being attacked by a pack of wolves.

This thread should be featured on the next Oprah.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
Eurobounce, your points on cruelty are well taken, but I think maybe you're a little off the mark in terms of feeding and use of whips and turn-out. Thoroughbreds can't really be left out all day because they'll wear themselves out-- if they spend the day racing each other along the fences of their pastures (wasn't it said even into his 20s Man O' War would still try to race the young 'uns?) they'll have nothing left for the races.

Horses of any profession have to have their diets monitored-- horses will happily eat themselves to death if given the chance. They aren't stupid; they evolved into plains-roaming animals that subsisted on a diet of very few calories, so they had to eat all day long. Just because they now have high-calorie, commercially produced feed doesn't break all those millenia of conditioning to eat as much as they can whenever they can (actually, I think people have some of the same issues-- I don't think the urge to overeat is as much emotional as it is evolutionary, which makes it much harder to overcome!). And whips can be punishment, yes, but judiciously used, they are encouragement-- a reminder to keep focused and now it's time to go go go! They also can get a horse to steer rapidly away from a bad situation. I'm purely a pleasure rider and I NEVER go out without a crop, even if I don't use it. And I'm sure not racing anybody, especially on poky old Bach (long story-- my morning ride today...).

But you're right; overuse of the whip is mean and unnecessary and I think there could be more rules against excessive whip use. And honestly, I think one of the best things racing could do is to cut back the racing schedule-- give the horses several months off where they CAN run around all day and graze and just be horses. Overwork is no fun for anyone.

And no stallions at stud before the age of five! (Someone said that on the ESPN board and it was much lauded) If you have to keep them fit and sound until then I think people would breed for soundness and maybe they'd race longer.
Good points Genuine,
I'll just add that the horses at the farm where mine live get fed four times a day if they're in the stall. Not all at once. One or two flakes distributed morning to night so they don't get sick. Plenty of fresh water, transition to greens (pasture)...too much will cause problems also, if they're not used to it.
As far as whipping...it's always a good idea to have one so that the horse knows who's in control. If they sense that you aren't...you'll get hurt quickly.
Same with a chain over the nose (or on the gums).
There are times that I've seen the whip used too much. No question.
If a horse is already dog tired, do you think hitting him twenty times is going to make him run any faster? Me neither.
As far as "breeding for soundness", that's something I've been trying to do for quite a while. It goes against the "current", blazing furlongs by 2yo's at the sales...but it's just the way I am. I'd rather have 'em last longer than make a fast buck. To each his own.
Good stables are not cruel. Actually, believe it or not, these folks show they care every day.
DTS
Old 07-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Santa Anita

Obviously you (EURO not Genuine) didn't see the photos and videos of Barbaro after the derby in his paddock eating grass. They let him be a horse.

To your question, would I love horses if there was no racing? abso-fukking-lutely! My love of horses got me into the sport. As I have stated in the past, I don't watch racing to bet, I watch for the love of watching a horse do what it was born to do RUN.

As for the crop issue, I (LIKE GENUINE) carry a crop EVERY time I ride. Most of the time all I do is wave it around for Buck to see. Just kinda reminds him to pay attention to me and not the hay truck moving back at the barn. MOST riders carry one. I even use to wear spurs when I rode Freddy. OH BAD GIRL I AM. Honestly, anyone at the barn where I am at can tell you they would let me ride, take care of, etc... anyone of their horses. When Freddy's owner found out I wasn't going to be riding him anymore they said "But she's family". Yes, whips can be bad, but anything can be bad in the wrong hands.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Barbaro4Evah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Nothing whatsover will happen.
Barbaro's life or death ... while of particular interest to those of us who populate this forum ... just isn't that important to the rest of the world. It'll be a one-day story ... then it'll be gone.
That is such BS it's not even funny. You KNOW this is not true. People who don't know jack s*** about horse racing ask me often about Barbaro.

Watch out DerbyTrail people. This guy will show his true colors on Barbaro soon enough. He's an insensitive *******.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaro4Evah
That is such BS it's not even funny. You KNOW this is not true. People who don't know jack s*** about horse racing ask me often about Barbaro.

Watch out DerbyTrail people. This guy will show his true colors on Barbaro soon enough. He's an insensitive *******.
Doesn't take long for others to become astute judges of character.
He lives in a cardboard box beside 1-95. Goes to his local library so he can go to his rightwing propaganda sites, then come here to annoy racing fans.
No knowledge of racing, horses or, actually, anything relevant.
Totally an attention seeker.
Babble, babble, babble....in one ear, out the other.
Back to your cardboard box Bold B. Even others are on to you, and frankly, you are getting a bit tiring.
Did you get you bottle deposits yet so you can play at your OTB?

Last edited by Downthestretch55 : 07-14-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
eurobounce

All points of eating are good ones. But we all know the horse that is in racing condition is underfed to keep him fit and light on his feet. Horses will overeat if given the opportunity. If you think that race horses are treated like kings, try living the life of a horse for 1 year. Move into a room that is 10x10 and spend 20 hours a day there, be fed when someone tells you to be fed, be whipped when being trained and then come back to me and tell me how you like it. Sure most horses have a better chance in captivity but sometimes nature has to take its course.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
All points of eating are good ones. But we all know the horse that is in racing condition is underfed to keep him fit and light on his feet. Horses will overeat if given the opportunity. If you think that race horses are treated like kings, try living the life of a horse for 1 year. Move into a room that is 10x10 and spend 20 hours a day there, be fed when someone tells you to be fed, be whipped when being trained and then come back to me and tell me how you like it. Sure most horses have a better chance in captivity but sometimes nature has to take its course.
Euro,
You and I have chatted before.
I'll tell you, horses are not underfed, nor are they overfed...if they are being closely monitored.
To have energy, the food must be put in and shoveled out later. In the real world, nobody will do anything to compromise any chances for putting out the horse's best effort.
Have you ever been on the backstretch? If you have, you might have noticed that they have fans blowing cool air when it's warm, feed supplements, on and on....
Heck, they're better treated than some of the folks that live in nursing homes.
Yes, there are heavy handed training methods. Some people get freaked and escalate difficult situations when the horse is just plain scared...and problems result. Just remember, most of the people that are around horses, day in and day out, know them pretty well...and the last thing they want to do is be cruel, mean, or inhumane to them. Most of these people love horses. If they didn't, they would have chosen a different form of employment.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Euro,
You and I have chatted before.
I'll tell you, horses are not underfed, nor are they overfed...if they are being closely monitored.
To have energy, the food must be put in and shoveled out later. In the real world, nobody will do anything to compromise any chances for putting out the horse's best effort.
Have you ever been on the backstretch? If you have, you might have noticed that they have fans blowing cool air when it's warm, feed supplements, on and on....
Heck, they're better treated than some of the folks that live in nursing homes.
Yes, there are heavy handed training methods. Some people get freaked and escalate difficult situations when the horse is just plain scared...and problems result. Just remember, most of the people that are around horses, day in and day out, know them pretty well...and the last thing they want to do is be cruel, mean, or inhumane to them. Most of these people love horses. If they didn't, they would have chosen a different form of employment.
I would live to live on the backside if I could. You are correct in the feeding of race horses. My favorite part of the backside is how each stall has a cat. But none of the help would do anything to hurt the horses. I know a few years ago there were some people at River Downs arrested for beating horses with shovels on the backside. But I think that is the exception rather the norm. But, the life of a horse isnt that grand--imo.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I would live to live on the backside if I could. You are correct in the feeding of race horses. My favorite part of the backside is how each stall has a cat. But none of the help would do anything to hurt the horses. I know a few years ago there were some people at River Downs arrested for beating horses with shovels on the backside. But I think that is the exception rather the norm. But, the life of a horse isnt that grand--imo.
Euro, it's a tough issue to wrestle; you're right. And I think what makes it so hard is that, in the end, we'll never really know what the horses think about it. We can read their behavior, their eating habits, etc. and infer from that, but we'll never really know for sure what they think.

DTS, I'm so happy to hear that you breed for soundness. That makes my day to know some people in the game still prize it.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:29 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Euro, it's a tough issue to wrestle; you're right. And I think what makes it so hard is that, in the end, we'll never really know what the horses think about it. We can read their behavior, their eating habits, etc. and infer from that, but we'll never really know for sure what they think.

DTS, I'm so happy to hear that you breed for soundness. That makes my day to know some people in the game still prize it.
Very well said Genuine. I would love to get in the breeding game someday. I for one would try to breed for soundness as well. I think soundness is a key to horse racing.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:31 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

Genuine Risk,
I'd be so happy to show off my babies to you!
If you're coming up to Saratoga, they're on the way (Catskill exit). Rt 23 west.
A little over an hour out of the way from 87N, but well worth it.
PM me if before you leave NYC.
I think you'd like them.
DTS
Old 07-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
People who don't know jack s*** about horse racing ask me often about Barbaro.
Have you ever noticed ...

... that those are the only people who ask you about horse racing?
Old 07-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Another bitter, miserable, hysterical refugee from that other site ... who can't help but trail after me.

Understandable though ... things are really dreadful over there without me. 'Tis a pity.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Genuine Risk,
I'd be so happy to show off my babies to you!
If you're coming up to Saratoga, they're on the way (Catskill exit). Rt 23 west.
A little over an hour out of the way from 87N, but well worth it.
PM me if before you leave NYC.
I think you'd like them.
DTS
Thank you for the offer; that's so nice!!! And if I come up on the off-season would that be okay? I have a riding buddy who is as addicted as I to all things horse and racing-related and I'm sure would LOVE the chance to see your babies (and grown-ups).

I so badly want to get to Saratoga, but holy cow; the summer gets filled with things I have to do-- most of which are work-related.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Thank you for the offer; that's so nice!!! And if I come up on the off-season would that be okay? I have a riding buddy who is as addicted as I to all things horse and racing-related and I'm sure would LOVE the chance to see your babies (and grown-ups).

I so badly want to get to Saratoga, but holy cow; the summer gets filled with things I have to do-- most of which are work-related.
Genuine,
Off season is fine. Have a great (busy) summer.
DTS
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Idlewild Airport

A bump from July.

Have to assume the hit will be diminished since the breakdown is not in people's minds as much.

Hopefully we all avoid the cruelty articles that comes out of these things sometimes. It took a long time to recover the minor fan from something like the Ruffian incident.