Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Saratoga

Default The official and amazing Hong Kong...

... off-season update thread.

Retired...

Shining Dragon
Danaprint
Gold Striker
Plastic Polymer
Ankh Morpork
Mr. Floodlight
Telecom Emperor
Handsome Target
Silent Dragon
and, already mentioned but deserves a final goodbye... Lady First. (17 starts, best she ever finished was 7th poor thing but here are her pre-HK records. She was Nomadic Princess and had one win anyway).

http://www.hkjc.com/english/pp_formsheet/fse_J067.pdf

I think this means that Kimberley is now the only girl in HK.

We were gelded...

Be Grateful (the former Astro Gains)
Able Speed (the former Prolific)

We got new names...

Lochnaw is now King Al Akbar, trained by Schultz
Anticipating is now Big Chief, trained by O'Sullivan
Neon is now Sammys Falcon, trained by Schultz
Isonme is now Nicku, trained by Lee
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Saratoga

Retired...

Aurelian
Wong's Success
Crystal
Kingsgate Glory
Nilometer
Good Dishes
Lucky Champion
Shaxi Baby
Lucky Champion

New names...

Regal MIca is Win Pet
Fernandia is Super Boy

Gelded...

One Wee Acorn (the former Tyndrum (SAF) )
Darpana
Leading City
Sparkling
Invinciblekindness
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Saratoga

Awww.... retired ~

Kindacross
Sir Lago
Genius Master

Kindacross had won 5 of 8 in NZ...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/pp_formsheet/fse_G041.pdf

... His HK record was 0,7,5 from 42.

He was pretty much racing in Class 3 but did run three times in Class 1 (where he was 2nd, 4th and 8th).

Same owner as Duel Express, so good luck to that one.

Fun horse to watch and root for, even if he wasn't the most stellar of the bunch.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Saratoga

Retired...

Whiplash (I'll miss this one)
Kaiser's Choix
Legend of Color
Taiji Spirit
Tiger Ridge (It was time... happy retirement).
Warrior (Had the potential to be a great. Wonder why...)
New Glory
Medallion
Happy Elite

New kids, from NZ...

Down South
St. Fevre
Revital
My Mate Corby
Takeanotherchance
Not Now Normal
Spartan
Quartz Reef
The Good Doctor
Bestofeverything
Beauty Again
Beauty Primo
Late Addition
Sunny Star
Star Power
Stadium Arcadium

New names...

Cambiaso (IRE) is now Grand Profit
Icesolator (IRE) is Regency Winner
Dependent (AUS) is Lombardi
Craigieburn (AUS) is Telecom Super Star
Old 07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Saratoga

Retired... O'Reilly Rally.

Barrier trial(s) schedule... first one will be on August 25th.

New kids...

Invincible Heart (GB), Henderson Park (GB), Count John (IRE), Ard Na Greine (IRE), Stand and Fight (IRE), Royal Infidelity (IRE), Handsome Bachelor (IRE), and...

From SA Racing...

CERISE CHERRY TO HONG KONG BUT NOT WITH MILLARD
(no author listed)

Cerise Cherry was sold to Hong Kong recently via the Hong Kong based South African trainer Tony Millard (pictured) to Hong Kong owner, Mr. Lau with a view to race in the Hong Kong Derby and other prominent races in the Chinese territory.

However, it was reported to SAHorseracing.COM, that the horse will be trained by Derek Cruz and not Millard as was assumed. Cerise Cherry left South Africa as one of the better 3 year olds in the nation with many close up finishers in Group 1 races throughout his career.

The 105 rated horse, formerly trained by Paul Matchett in South Africa, was a winner of only 2 races but ran second 11 times in his 16 run career.

He is by Goldkeeper (USA) - Cherry Girl by Pochard (ARG) and bred by Geoff Armitage.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Saratoga

Egyptian Ra watch...

04/08/2009 Trotting Sha Tin SmT SmT 2 Round - Fast R.B.
03/08/2009 Trotting Sha Tin SmT SmT 2 Round - Rev Fast R.B.
03/08/2009 Swimming
02/08/2009 Trotting Sha Tin SmT SmT 1 Round - Fast R.B.
02/08/2009 Swimming
01/08/2009 Trotting Sha Tin SmT SmT 1 Round - Fast R.B.
01/08/2009 Swimming
Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Fairgrounds

I'm sorry, this is funny enough to me to repeat.

Gelded...

One Wee Acorn (the former Tyndrum (SAF) )

Old 08-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Saratoga

Oh my God I totally missed that... brilliant catch!

Best horse name (and he's not in HK, but) the gelding named New Balls Please.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Fairgrounds

So the next horse gelded should be renamed Catch That Ball.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Gulfstream Park

Or maybe "Balls to the Wall"
Old 08-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Saratoga

Those are great!
Old 08-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Saratoga

SCMP...

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...ws20090809.asp

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Out-of-luck Schutz loses Ba Ba
'Bad fung shui' is reason for owner Yuen's switch to Derek Cruz's stable

Murray Bell

Controversial owner John Yuen Se-kit has provided the first shock of the new racing season, admitting yesterday that his champion Good Ba Ba would be removed from the stables of trainer Andreas Schutz.

The new trainer selected by Yuen is Derek Cruz, who confirmed that Hong Kong's highest-rated horse of all time would join his string tomorrow.

"The owner rang me, out of the blue, and asked me to train Good Ba Ba this season," Cruz said. "It was a very big surprise, for sure, but I'm extremely happy to be given an opportunity to train a wonderful horse like this.

"Of course, it's unfortunate for the previous trainer but that's Hong Kong racing - we all get to experience both sides of it. Yuen could have chosen any trainer at Sha Tin and I'm grateful he's chosen me. An offer like this is not something you can say no to."

Schutz is on holiday in his native Germany and could not be contacted. His assistant trainer, Ricky Chung Chim-ki, knew nothing about the proposed move of the stable's flagship horse.

"The boss is away until the middle of August, I don't know anything about this," Chung said, though he later confirmed the story after telephoning Yuen.

The sacking of Schutz is the second major personnel change in the space of eight months for Good Ba Ba, winner of six Group One races including the last two editions of the HK$16 million Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile.

Last December, jockey Olivier Doleuze was replaced by Christophe Soumillon after Good Ba Ba finished third to Egyptian Ra in the International Mile Trial.

Yuen refused to elaborate on the reasons for the stable transfer, other than confirming that it would take place. However, a family friend, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Yuen was an advocate of fung shui and believed "all his good luck with Schutz may have been used up".

Schutz, the former champion trainer of Germany, took over Good Ba Ba in November 2006 when he was only two months into his freshman Hong Kong season. He won with the American-bred gelding at his first three starts for his new yard, including the Group Two Chairman's Trophy at Sha Tin.

The following season, Good Ba Ba had six domestic races for five wins and a second, becoming the first horse to clean sweep the major mile races. He also defeated champion sprinter Sacred Kingdom at their highly publicised match race in the Group One Queen's Silver Jubilee Cup at 1,400 metres in March 2008.

He was Horse of the Year for 2007-08 and after winning a second successive Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile last December, the international handicappers elevated Good Ba Ba to an official rating of 124, making him the highest-rated Hong Kong galloper of all time and a member of the top 10 horses on the planet at that time.

After winning a second Stewards Cup (1,600m) in January, Good Ba Ba was beaten in two more races before being rested. His final run, a close-up fourth to Sight Winner in the Champions Mile, was due simply to the rain-softened track, which jockey Soumillon said did not suit him.

Yuen has a colourful history in racing. According to the Jockey Club database, Yuen has raced three horses, the first being Dr Win in 1999-2000. After six winless starts with Ricky Yiu Poon-fie, Dr Win was moved to Tony Millard and won two races for the South African trainer.

His second horse, Run And Win, started with Millard but was moved to Wylie Wong Wai-lit after three starts.

The grey then had four starts with Manfred Man Ka-leung, moved to John Size for three outings and then returned to Man for four more runs before leaving him for the second time at the end of that season.

Run And Win then had a full season with Brian Kan Ping-chee before moving to Peter Ho Leung and, finally, went back to the future to Millard - a total of eight trainer moves in a 46-start career.

It was Millard who selected Good Ba Ba for Yuen at the Hong Kong International Sale, after Run And Win retired.

However, he only got to enjoy being the gelding's pre-trainer as the future champion moved to Alex Wong Yu-on prior to his debut. Wong took him all the way through to Class One, picking up the Champion Griffin award along the way, before losing him to Schutz in late 2006.

The Lear Fan gelding's full record is 15 wins, five seconds and two thirds from just 23 starts, and his earnings of HK$48,161,500 make him the fifth-largest prize money winner among Hong Kong-trained horses, behind only Vengeance Of Rain, Viva Pataca, Silent Witness and Bullish Luck.

For Schutz, he won 10 of 16 starts domestic starts, plus two unplaced runs in the 2007 and 2008 editions of the Yasuda Kinen in Tokyo.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-of-good-ba-ba

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 08-09-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
SCMP...

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...ws20090809.asp

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Out-of-luck Schutz loses Ba Ba
'Bad fung shui' is reason for owner Yuen's switch to Derek Cruz's stable

Murray Bell

Controversial owner John Yuen Se-kit has provided the first shock of the new racing season, admitting yesterday that his champion Good Ba Ba would be removed from the stables of trainer Andreas Schutz.

The new trainer selected by Yuen is Derek Cruz, who confirmed that Hong Kong's highest-rated horse of all time would join his string tomorrow.

"The owner rang me, out of the blue, and asked me to train Good Ba Ba this season," Cruz said. "It was a very big surprise, for sure, but I'm extremely happy to be given an opportunity to train a wonderful horse like this.

"Of course, it's unfortunate for the previous trainer but that's Hong Kong racing - we all get to experience both sides of it. Yuen could have chosen any trainer at Sha Tin and I'm grateful he's chosen me. An offer like this is not something you can say no to."

Schutz is on holiday in his native Germany and could not be contacted. His assistant trainer, Ricky Chung Chim-ki, knew nothing about the proposed move of the stable's flagship horse.

"The boss is away until the middle of August, I don't know anything about this," Chung said, though he later confirmed the story after telephoning Yuen.

The sacking of Schutz is the second major personnel change in the space of eight months for Good Ba Ba, winner of six Group One races including the last two editions of the HK$16 million Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile.

Last December, jockey Olivier Doleuze was replaced by Christophe Soumillon after Good Ba Ba finished third to Egyptian Ra in the International Mile Trial.

Yuen refused to elaborate on the reasons for the stable transfer, other than confirming that it would take place. However, a family friend, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Yuen was an advocate of fung shui and believed "all his good luck with Schutz may have been used up".

Schutz, the former champion trainer of Germany, took over Good Ba Ba in November 2006 when he was only two months into his freshman Hong Kong season. He won with the American-bred gelding at his first three starts for his new yard, including the Group Two Chairman's Trophy at Sha Tin.

The following season, Good Ba Ba had six domestic races for five wins and a second, becoming the first horse to clean sweep the major mile races. He also defeated champion sprinter Sacred Kingdom at their highly publicised match race in the Group One Queen's Silver Jubilee Cup at 1,400 metres in March 2008.

He was Horse of the Year for 2007-08 and after winning a second successive Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile last December, the international handicappers elevated Good Ba Ba to an official rating of 124, making him the highest-rated Hong Kong galloper of all time and a member of the top 10 horses on the planet at that time.

After winning a second Stewards Cup (1,600m) in January, Good Ba Ba was beaten in two more races before being rested. His final run, a close-up fourth to Sight Winner in the Champions Mile, was due simply to the rain-softened track, which jockey Soumillon said did not suit him.

Yuen has a colourful history in racing. According to the Jockey Club database, Yuen has raced three horses, the first being Dr Win in 1999-2000. After six winless starts with Ricky Yiu Poon-fie, Dr Win was moved to Tony Millard and won two races for the South African trainer.

His second horse, Run And Win, started with Millard but was moved to Wylie Wong Wai-lit after three starts.

The grey then had four starts with Manfred Man Ka-leung, moved to John Size for three outings and then returned to Man for four more runs before leaving him for the second time at the end of that season.

Run And Win then had a full season with Brian Kan Ping-chee before moving to Peter Ho Leung and, finally, went back to the future to Millard - a total of eight trainer moves in a 46-start career.

It was Millard who selected Good Ba Ba for Yuen at the Hong Kong International Sale, after Run And Win retired.

However, he only got to enjoy being the gelding's pre-trainer as the future champion moved to Alex Wong Yu-on prior to his debut. Wong took him all the way through to Class One, picking up the Champion Griffin award along the way, before losing him to Schutz in late 2006.

The Lear Fan gelding's full record is 15 wins, five seconds and two thirds from just 23 starts, and his earnings of HK$48,161,500 make him the fifth-largest prize money winner among Hong Kong-trained horses, behind only Vengeance Of Rain, Viva Pataca, Silent Witness and Bullish Luck.

For Schutz, he won 10 of 16 starts domestic starts, plus two unplaced runs in the 2007 and 2008 editions of the Yasuda Kinen in Tokyo.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-of-good-ba-ba
My 1st reaction was surprise on the trainer switch, 2nd there has got to be a reason other than the owner saying he wants to support the D Cruz yard. Something smells...

Additional Bloodhorse link http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-of-good-ba-ba
Old 08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Saratoga

I just don't get it. Feel terrible for Schultz.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I just don't get it. Feel terrible for Schultz.
It's hard to understand since D Cruz is not even the better Trainer of the Cruz brothers. It will be interesting to see if he is as good this fall as he was last year, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a drop off.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Saratoga

On Collection, who always makes me think of you (CSC)...

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...ws20090819.asp
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Saratoga

Sacred Kingdom AND Enthused to Tokyo for the Sprinters Stakes...
Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
On Collection, who always makes me think of you (CSC)...

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...ws20090819.asp
Hey SC, ready for this Sunday's opening card?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Saratoga

Oh my God I'm dying... it's like Christmas is on Sunday!!!!

I shall update the last of the retirements, etc., later when there's time.

Happy 2 more days, my friend!

edit - Oh swoon!

Race 4 - THE HKSAR CHIEF EXECUTIVE'S CUP (HANDICAP)
Sunday, September 13, 2009, Sha Tin, 14:30
Turf ,"A" Course ,1200m

Prize Money: $1,750,000.00, Rating: 120-95, Class 1

Horse No. Last 6 Runs Colour Horse Wt. Jockey Draw Trainer Rtg. Rtg.+/- Horse Wt. (Declaration) Gear
1 4/7/2/11/3/3 REGENCY DRAGON 132 W C Marwing 9 D E Ferraris 117 1 1147 B/TT
2 3/5/8/2/1/3 EXPRESS WIN 129 Y T Cheng (-2) 10 C H Yip 114 2 1167 TT
3 3/9/9/1/1/12 LUCKY QUALITY 129 O Doleuze 4 Y S Tsui 114 0 1174
4 1/8/7/9/5/8 MEDIC POWER 129 M Chadwick (-7) 8 A S Cruz 114 6 1218 TT
5 2/2/7/4/3/5 BRILLIANT CHAPTER 126 B Prebble 3 J Size 111 2 1092
6 11/5/1/2/4/6 GALLANT LION 126 C K Tong (-3) 11 C Fownes 111 0 1118 V1/H
7 10/1/1/1/1/2 TUSCAN SPIRIT 124 D Whyte 7 J Size 109 0 1108
8 1/1/8/1/5/1 DYNAMIC BLITZ 121 Z Purton 5 P F Yiu 106 6 1134 XB
9 10/12/1/5/6/10 FRIENDLY GAINS 121 H W Lai (-2) 1 K L Man 106 0 1184
10 11/2/3/5/2/2 KINGS FALCON 120 D Beadman 6 J Moore 105 0 1148 XB/H
11 4/3/11/9/11/12 NIGHTLIGN 118 J Lloyd 2 A Lee 103 0 1064

B : Blinkers BO : Blinker with one cowl only E : Ear Plugs H : Hood
P : Pacifier PC : Pacifier with cowls SR : Shadow Roll SW : Side Winkers
TT : Tongue Tie V : Visor SB: Sheepskin Browband SO: Side Winker 1 side
"1" : First time "2" : Replaced "-" : Removed CC: Cornell Collar
XB: Crossed Nose Band

Notes:
"Horse Wt. (Declaration)" : Horse weight on two days before the race day
"Stakes Won" : Stakes acquired in current racing season
To reset to default column settings : In "SETUP MY STARTER LIST" row, select "click to open", then click "Default" to reset.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 09-11-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Saratoga

Gotta love it when the little guys get some press.

On All Time High (the former Cinderella Man from NZ)...

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...ws20090911.asp

His (winless) HK record / replays...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/h...p?HorseNo=G285

He's got Chadwick up so that's a huge plus. Good luck to him!