Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Default Aussie jocks collude and won't ride

Apparently they are upset with the new whip rules. They abandoned the racing today about halfway through the card at both tracks we were taking here and then in Queensland a little bit later.

Crazy stuff.

Friday night now in jeopardy.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Randwyck

Wish they would do this for synthetic tracks ;-(
Old 09-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Randwyck

NSW, Victorian and Queensland jockeys have walked out on race meetings at Hawkesbury, Ballarat and Ipswich after word filtered throught that the Australian Racing Board had rejected proposals to amend the contentious whip riding rules.

The move could bloom into larger industrial action and could lead to all race meetings across the country being cancelled.

Jockeys riding at Ballarat were first to take strike action today, refusing to ride after the third event. At Hawkesbury, jockeys refused to ride after the fourth race, and at Ipswich jockeys stopped after the fifth race, causing all three meetings to be abandonded.

The ARB met earlier today and refused to accept a compromise deal from jockeys that would allow a rider unrestricted use of the whip in the final 100m of a race if his or her mount was in contention to win.

Jockeys nationwide are threatening further industrial action this Saturday with grave fears the Theo Marks Stakes Spring Carnival meeting at Rosehill Gardens and the feature Moonee Valley meeting in Melbourne may not go ahead.

The ARB maintains its new rule - which restricts the number of times a jockey can use the whip in the final 200m of a race - should not be altered.

Along with the new rule, the ARB introduced padded whips to lessen the impact on horses.

Speaking on behalf of jockeys at Ballarat, Glen Boss said they had no alternative.

"The owners' associations, the trainers' association the breeding association, everyone in the industry are supporting the jockeys. Unfortunately we've been pushed into a corner and we've had to react," Boss told TVN.

"We certainly didn't want it to come to this but as a jockeys' association we have got to show our strength.

"This is a rule that's been placed upon us which we rejected from the get-go.

"We've tried to go to the ARB to explain the situation that we just need to tweak. We're not asking for a lot. We are asking for 100 metres where we can do our best and we've got the support of everyone in the industry."

Corey Brown and Damien Oliver, who have both fallen foul of the rule in the past week, attended the ARB meeting.

The Australian Jockeys' Association (AJA) issued a statement saying the ARB was out of touch with the rest of the industry.

"With its decision today to ignore the call of all stakeholders to make a minor variation to the rules relating to the whip, the ARB has succeeded in unleashing a great bitterness and division between stakeholders and administrators," the AJA said.

"It shows the ARB is completely out of touch with its constituents."
Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Arlington Park

The title of this thread confused me at first and perhaps is abit misleading, "collude" and "Jockey" may lead one to think of cheating. Saying that I'm with the Jockey's on this one, it's a ridiculous rule.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Keeneland

Even the trainers are with the jocks on this one (a few apparently only wishing they hadn't chosen to stop mid-card, after owners/trainers vanned to the meets) Was wishing last night I could pick up SKY Racing to follow the day unfold.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

The best part of the whole thing was Rick Hore-Lacy interrupting the interview with Glen Boss on TVN and getting angry with him.

I thought we might have a little action there.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Arlington Park

Watching a little racing tonight from Warick Farm and the whipping issue came to my thoughts, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary as the jockies seemed to be liberally using the stick to urge their mounts in the 1st race. Here are the new rules as ridiculous as they may sound: Get the picture of Glen Boss or Corey Brown counting lashes as they come down the straight in a big race, if this wasn't such a stupid rule it would be laughable.

Australian racing rule AR 137A(5) reads - In a race or trial a rider using the whip must give his horse time to respond and, other than on one occasion in the last 200 metres when the whip may be used in three consecutive strides, the whip shall not to be used in consecutive strides, other than in a slapping motion down the shoulder, with the whip hand remaining on the reins, or alternatively in a backhand manner.”

Hit the fast forward button to Tuesday and the rules have changed.

Now a jockey can hit their mount every second stride from the 200 metres to the 100-metre mark then they can whip their mount on seven further occasions to the winning post.

So how many strides does a horse take in 100 metres? Paul Innes said in a release on Tuesday they take 12 so I was compelled to do my own count in a couple of races at the Warrnambool and Coffs Harbour on Tuesday.

At Warrnambool it was 14 while at Coffs it was 13.

Anyone interested in reading more here is the link:
http://www.racenet.com.au/news/blogs...blog=BlogCraig
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
The title of this thread confused me at first and perhaps is abit misleading, "collude" and "Jockey" may lead one to think of cheating. Saying that I'm with the Jockey's on this one, it's a ridiculous rule.
"Collude" does "connote" nefarious actions. I'm with the anti-whippers on this one, unless you are on a "proven" closer.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:48 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_idol

From your mouth to God's ear...
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
"Collude" does "connote" nefarious actions. I'm with the anti-whippers on this one, unless you are on a "proven" closer.
Horses are very tough animals, all you have to do is ride one to know. For a city boy that I am I have had a few occasions to have ridden a horse and you would be surprised how tough they are, they can barely feel a kick in the side. I think riders have enough to think about in a race, ie. weaving in and out of traffic, judging pace, anticipating openings...to have a rule that basically are asking them to keep count in their head how many times to hit a horse, it is not realistic. It's silly to say the least, and the betting public is supposed to be comfortable with this? Really it is an insult to all involved. Jock-Fans-Trainers-Owners-Bettors. This almost sounds like something PETA would come up with and we know how misguided they are.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Fairgrounds

I was being sarcastic. Sorry.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
I was being sarcastic. Sorry.
No need to be sorry CTC, I got U.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_idol
the jockeys won't do it here but the owners and trainers already are. why do think indian blessing some others keep coming back east? others refuse to ship to the garbage.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM
The Curragh

I thought it was a disgrace for the jocks to call it quits half way through the meetings the other weeks. I know for a fact many of the trainers were livid. Funny thing is, I had only just got off the phone to Rick Hore-Lacy minutes before he came on tv to have a pop and Glen Boss.

It's okay for the multi millionaire jockeys, they don't need to ride all day every day to make a living, but what about the young apprentices who need to make a living, calling meetings to and end half way through hurt them it also hurt trainers and owners (who still would have copped the bill for transport and staff expenses, all to witness their horse(s) denied a run through some selfish act.

Whether the rules are right or not, they still shouldn't have allowed the jocks to do it half way through a meeting.

Coming from Britain I'm used to tough whip rules, and it's never caused an issue here. If jockeys are good enough, they should know when to quick en a horse up and keep it going to the line without over use of the whip.

I've seen enough horses over here come back marked all around the hip and hind quarters to suggest that something does need to do done. and people wonder why many 2yo's in Australia don't train on

On the subject of synthetics, if the tracks were prepared properly, and looked after there are very few problems. The proof is in the pudding. In the UK, we have very few problems, yet in the States everyone reckons it's deadly....... exactly the same surface. Hmmmmmm. Only one reason if you ask me.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
I thought it was a disgrace for the jocks to call it quits half way through the meetings the other weeks. I know for a fact many of the trainers were livid. Funny thing is, I had only just got off the phone to Rick Hore-Lacy minutes before he came on tv to have a pop and Glen Boss.

It's okay for the multi millionaire jockeys, they don't need to ride all day every day to make a living, but what about the young apprentices who need to make a living, calling meetings to and end half way through hurt them it also hurt trainers and owners (who still would have copped the bill for transport and staff expenses, all to witness their horse(s) denied a run through some selfish act.

Whether the rules are right or not, they still shouldn't have allowed the jocks to do it half way through a meeting.

Coming from Britain I'm used to tough whip rules, and it's never caused an issue here. If jockeys are good enough, they should know when to quick en a horse up and keep it going to the line without over use of the whip.
I've seen enough horses over here come back marked all around the hip and hind quarters to suggest that something does need to do done. and people wonder why many 2yo's in Australia don't train on

On the subject of synthetics, if the tracks were prepared properly, and looked after there are very few problems. The proof is in the pudding. In the UK, we have very few problems, yet in the States everyone reckons it's deadly....... exactly the same surface. Hmmmmmm. Only one reason if you ask me.
I will bite. What's the reason? (In English-english please).
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:

Isn't this an over reaction? It was only half a day's card...it was more of a nuiscence than anything, give them credit it worked as they got the attention of the ARB.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM
The Curragh

Yes, they got what they wanted....... a reaction but they would have got the same reaction had they have said they weren't going to ride a few hours before the meeting was due to start.

Having some friends who were due to have two horses running at Ballarat that day, they were left fuming and very disappointed with the actions of the jockeys. The two horses had been transported with a float company from Mornington, they themselves had travelled all the way from Albury on the VIC, NSW border. Two grooms needed their travelling expenses paid. It all adds up to an amount that I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford for a wasted trip.

All I'm getting at is that these jockeys caused a lot of hassle for a hell of a lot of people, just to get something for themselves.

Glen Boss said on TV that they had the backing of the trainers for what they were doing. However, at least four or five trainers got onto to either sky racing or TVN and slated the living daylights out of them. They backed them for the rule change but I remember David Hayes saying something along the lines of 'what they did was outrageous and not in racings interest'.

It was just very unprofessional.

Regarding the issue with the synthetic tracks. I stated that back at home, there are very, very few problems associated with them. Very few breakdowns, and yet in America you hear of horses breaking down every week. Yet is the exact same surface. How can this be? The only reasons I can suggest is either the track is not prepared fully in America before racing or the breed of the American thoroughbreds, racing high on an asortment of drugs is a very weak breed, liable to breakdown on any surface.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Yes, they got what they wanted....... a reaction but they would have got the same reaction had they have said they weren't going to ride a few hours before the meeting was due to start.

Having some friends who were due to have two horses running at Ballarat that day, they were left fuming and very disappointed with the actions of the jockeys. The two horses had been transported with a float company from Mornington, they themselves had travelled all the way from Albury on the VIC, NSW border. Two grooms needed their travelling expenses paid. It all adds up to an amount that I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford for a wasted trip.

All I'm getting at is that these jockeys caused a lot of hassle for a hell of a lot of people, just to get something for themselves.
I'm sorry your friend had to pay out of their own pockets for the expenses incurred by the grooms, unfortunately the actions of the ARB affected all that were involved this day, from what I understand they forced the issue of limited stick work on horses and penalyzed a very respected Jockey in Corey Brown in the process. My take is from a bettor's perspective, if a Jockey is prevented from trying their best by being hampered by the rules, the optics can cannot look good for the integrity of racing, in a game that depends alot on perception that there is no cheating and everyone is trying their best this rule would not have been positive, the whip rules had to be addressed. I agree things could have been handled better not only by the Jockies but all parties concerned.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I'm sorry your friend had to pay out of their own pockets for the expenses incurred by the grooms, unfortunately the actions of the ARB affected all that were involved this day, from what I understand they forced the issue of limited stick work on horses and penalyzed a very respected Jockey in Corey Brown in the process. My take is from a bettor's perspective, if a Jockey is prevented from trying their best by being hampered by the rules, the optics can cannot look good for the integrity of racing, in a game that depends alot on perception that there is no cheating and everyone is trying their best this rule would not have been positive, the whip rules had to be addressed. I agree things could have been handled better not only by the Jockies but all parties concerned.
I understand whole heartedly about the matter of the rules, and yes if a jockey is denied the chance of winning a Gr1 because of new whip rules it must be very frustrating, but throughout Europe we have even stricter rules than the ones set to be put in place over here in Australia and there never appears to be an issue. The jocks know they can only 'smack' a horse a set number of times in the final stages and they have to wait until a horse responds before using the stick again.

I just think there are many jockeys who rely far too much on the whips and in my opinion, if they have to do that, then they cannot be considered as good jockeys. Anyone can get on a horse and batter it to an inch of it's life to make it run faster, but not many have the ability to nurse horses along to keep them going and ultimately keep them racing for longer - and surely that is what the sport is about.