Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2015, 12:51 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Keen Ice -- what type of odds should we expect from him?

Certainly not the 15-1, my guess would be 8-1?
You'll get plenty better than 8-1.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Morris Park

The odds Steve posted are pretty spot on assuming the top 3 all run. I think I will be keying Keen Ice also at this point. Looks like Irad will be aboard.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor View Post
Keen Ice -- what type of odds should we expect from him?

Certainly not the 15-1, my guess would be 8-1?
If the Classic field stays intact, I don't see where he's under 12-1 IMO.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Steve Byk

Major work for American Pharoah; 7f in 1:23
By Jay Privman

AMERICAN PHAROAH dialed up the length and pace of his preparation for the Breeders' Cup Classic on Wednesday morning at Santa Anita with a seven-furlong drill, in company, that got an official time of 1:23.

Trainer Bob Baffert had gone fairly easy with American Pharoah since putting him back in training after the Travers but said last week that he'd get serious this week and he was good to his word. "I wanted to get a strong work into him," Baffert said. "It looked like he handled it really well."

Per usual, American Pharoah came out just after the 6:30 renovation break. With regular work rider Martin Garcia aboard, Pharoah broke off at the six-furlong pole about seven lengths behind a workmate, collared the filly he was chasing in upper stretch, hit the wire five in front in 1:11.20, and went out to the seven-furlong pole in 1:23.

Dane Nelson, Santa Anita's head clocker, had American Pharoah galloping out a mile in 1:35.40. Baffert had Pharoah in 1:24, out a mile in 1:37. Regardless, it was a major piece of work as American Pharoah gets set to face elders for the first time while going 1 1/4 miles in his first start in two months.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Dane Nelson, Santa Anita's head clocker, had American Pharoah galloping out a mile in 1:35.40. Baffert had Pharoah in 1:24, out a mile in 1:37. Regardless, it was a major piece of work as American Pharoah gets set to face elders for the first time while going 1 1/4 miles in his first start in two months.
That's a pretty significant difference. Who's watch would you trust?
Old 10-14-2015, 01:20 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare it all View Post
That's a pretty significant difference. Who's watch would you trust?
Haskin tweeted that he thinks Baffert's time sounded more likely.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Gulfstream Park

Today’s Headlines»

Beholder 'Beautiful' in Final SoCal Breeze

Another solid workout by Beholder, Mandella shipping to Keeneland on the 19th, and will have her final workout about 4/5 days before The Big Race, all systems go!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPIANO View Post
Today’s Headlines»

Beholder 'Beautiful' in Final SoCal Breeze

Another solid workout by Beholder, Mandella shipping to Keeneland on the 19th, and will have her final workout about 4/5 days before The Big Race, all systems go!!!!!!!!!!
Rumor has it Gary Stevens believes she is the "best horse he has ever ridden"...AGAIN
Old 10-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Rumor has it Gary Stevens believes she is the "best horse he has ever ridden"...AGAIN
She is!!!!!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:41 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
She is!!!!!
I think I would give Point Given a fighting chance against her..lol

I am not remotely sure she is the best Filly/mare he has ridden Serena's song won like billion G1's and Winning Colors was brilliant as well.. This is Steven's being Steven's whatever good horse he is on is the Best Ever. Whatever

I forgot Silverbulletday she wasnt chopped liver either

Last edited by freddymo : 10-15-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-15-2015, 02:25 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

I am not remotely sure she is the best Filly/mare he has ridden Serena's song won like billion G1's and Winning Colors was brilliant as well.. This is Steven's being Steven's whatever good horse he is on is the Best Ever. Whatever

lol..........I think all jockeys say the same thing
Old 10-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:

Stevens has ridden Beholder 10 times, winning 9 stakes, the one loss was in NY, she came out of the race with a gash on her leg and was sidelined 2 mos. I think they are a perfect match, insync with each other, and I really expect her to romp in 2 weeks.

Last edited by FATPIANO : 10-17-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:26 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Stevens has ridden Beholder 10 times, winning 9 stakes, the one loss was in NY, she came out of the race with a gash on her leg and was sidelined 2 mos. I think they are a perfect match, insink with each other, and I really expect her to romp in 2 weeks.
She is going to romp against these....hardily
Old 10-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Stevens has ridden Beholder 10 times, winning 9 stakes, the one loss was in NY, she came out of the race with a gash on her leg and was sidelined 2 mos. I think they are a perfect match, insink with each other, and I really expect her to romp in 2 weeks.
No way you can get a horse in a sink
Old 10-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Steve Byk

Honor Code gallops like a freight train
By Dave Grening

It's not unusual to see HONOR CODE gallop strong, but this morning he had run on his mind more than usual during his 1 1-2-mile gallop around Belmont's main track.

I caught him from the mile pole to the wire in 1:51.68 with several sub 14-second eighths including one eighth in 13 seconds flat. Took him out 1 1-8 miles in 2:06.05 and 1 1-4 miles in 2:20.34.

Talked to Shug McGaughey Friday afternoon and he indicated Honor Code would have an official workout Sunday or Monday. As if he needed one after that.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Churchill Downs

Default Just because someone knows,

what does "distaff" mean?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
what does "distaff" mean?
Its what women spun wool with. It's a long rod or spindle
Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 AM
Steve Byk

Honor Code: Wow!
By David Grening

Posted : 1hr 21mins ago

HONOR CODE, prepping for the Breeders' Cup Classic, just put in a brilliantly fast workout, going a half-mile -- on my watch -- in 46.14 seconds, out five-furlongs in 58.16, six furlongs in 1:11.07 and seven furlongs in 1:24.50. I took him from the half-mile pole. Colleague Mike Vesce took him from the five-furlong pole and said he went his first eighth in 13 seconds. So, if you factor that eighth in he went a mile in 1:37.50.

Exercise rider Donna McMullen was aboard for the work, which came at 8:50 a.m. McMullen only asked Honor Code minimally late in the work and during the gallop out.

Honor Code usually works at 6:30 a.m. but I believe trainer Shug McGaughey waited until after the break to make sure water was put on the track at the renovation break. Temperatures were in the low 30s to start the day and the track was dry and fairly cuppy during early morning works.

Will have more details on this and other works later on drf.com
Old 10-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Santa Anita

Ruh-roh.

Quote:
Champion racemare Beholder missed her first day of training for the Oct. 31 Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) at Keeneland Oct. 20, when she spiked a slight temperature after shipping from California to Kentucky Oct. 19.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...g-due-to-fever
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 PM
Steve Byk

Mandella: lung scan on Beholder "pristine"
By Jay Privman

A lung scan on Beholder was “pristine,” trainer Richard Mandella said Tuesday afternoon, giving him hope that the minor temperature she spiked Tuesday morning at Keeneland was merely caused by shipping the prior day from California.

Still, Mandella emphasized that he would leave “no stone unturned” in making sure nothing more serious is amiss with Beholder. At this point, though, the hope is that this is a minor hiccup. However, with Beholder having had ill-timed fevers in the past, and since she is being prepared for the Breeders’ Cup Classic on Oct. 31, the concern is obvious.

“She had a little temperature. Her blood work shows that she had a little stress reaction from the ship,” Mandella said by telephone from Kentucky. “We did an ultrasound on her lungs and they’re clear. One just hopes it’s just a little temperature caused by the ship.

“We’ll go easy with her for a few days and go from there. We’ll hope for the best. We scanned her lungs and the vet said they were pristine. That’s the good news.”