Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Saratoga

Sorry Hossy. I'll shut up now.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Just for fun, let's take a look at the rest of that stellar field.

He beat home...

Little Bug (0-3-1 from 9)
Catalpa (O-1-0 from 8)
Naiazek (0-0-0 in 3 starts)
Venetian Dove (0-0-0 in 4 starts)
Oasis Sunset (1-0-1 from 5)
Aaroness (1-0-1 from 5)

Not trying to be a bitch... just having fun.

I really do hope this one improves. Good luck to his supporters.
You have your stats set and ready. I am impressed!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
You have your stats set and ready. I am impressed!

Stepping away from the nice thread now, very slowly...
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
All that was being talked about is this horse running in a MAIDEN race. I don't think anyone was trying to say the horse was going to win the BC Mile this year. He might not win next out and his trouble wasn't big. But, he did have a little bit and CSC makes a good point about Biancone, etc...
Precisely, we were just talking about a playback. I thought it was obvious.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Precisely, we were just talking about a playback. I thought it was obvious.
The irony in all this is that, whereas MMSC had a valid point in saying that Egypt's Group races were a red herring for those who thought the horse was dropping significantly in class, in turn she made a comparable blunder by suggesting that those starts in a pacesetting role were somehow indicative of the colt's true ability.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Arlington Park

This is somewhat off topic, but speaking of bad European form and Euro horses turning into stks winners rescued from the abyss, I remember(and I stress remember since I am not looking up stats from work) a horse named Dark Islander, mediocre european form but I do remember him somewhat turning it around over here. Obcourse you have others that go the other way also.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
This is somewhat off topic, but speaking of bad European form and Euro horses turning into stks winners rescued from the abyss, I remember(and I stress remember since I am not looking up stats from work) a horse named Dark Islander, mediocre european form but I do remember him somewhat turning it around over here. Obcourse you have others that go the other way also.
Dark Islander had ability both before and after his initial trip to America, and his style of racing meant it was no surprise for many of us that he ran so well over there. Before he won at Santa Anita he was in good form at home. Comparing a horse like him to Egypt is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Dark Islander had shown form, whereas Egypt only ever showed he had a small amount of ability in one of his starts (when second to Arazan) and the winner apart, it wasn't a very good race.

His next start was of even worse quality, which was why he was sent of a 1-3 favourite. He finished fourth and never looked like winning. Looking very one-paced in the process. If you look at the write ups of his races, almost every race will say "kept on" and "one paced".

He was used as a pacesetter in some of the major races, but many because he could go from the front and set an honest gallop but once he got to that pace he didn't have any other gears.

I'm not saying he won't improve in America, but he will need to because he couldn't win a poor quality maiden race in Ireland.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Dark Islander had ability both before and after his initial trip to America, and his style of racing meant it was no surprise for many of us that he ran so well over there. Before he won at Santa Anita he was in good form at home. Comparing a horse like him to Egypt is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Dark Islander had shown form, whereas Egypt only ever showed he had a small amount of ability in one of his starts (when second to Arazan) and the winner apart, it wasn't a very good race.

His next start was of even worse quality, which was why he was sent of a 1-3 favourite. He finished fourth and never looked like winning. Looking very one-paced in the process. If you look at the write ups of his races, almost every race will say "kept on" and "one paced".

He was used as a pacesetter in some of the major races, but many because he could go from the front and set an honest gallop but once he got to that pace he didn't have any other gears.

I'm not saying he won't improve in America, but he will need to because he couldn't win a poor quality maiden race in Ireland.
I would agree with that assessment, I remember betting him that day he showed up at SA off non group 1 or 2 status races and winning a Gr 2 race off of that european form, that was more of the point of was making and really taking a stab that a listed stks winner could make the jump to an American stake, in this case the Oak Tree Derby. He turned out to be the right choice but at the time it was a tough choice to make.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Arlington Park

Interesting run by Egypt yesterday, ran second in his comeback, that's okay. However while looking very much like the winner at the top of the stretch when he made the lead quite easily, he lacked the ethusiasm to outfinish his competition. This maybe a horse that lacks the mentality to win races, rather than ability.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Interesting run by Egypt yesterday, ran second in his comeback, that's okay. However while looking very much like the winner at the top of the stretch when he made the lead quite easily, he lacked the ethusiasm to outfinish his competition. This maybe a horse that lacks the mentality to win races, rather than ability.
Egyptians should be embarassed to have this despicable individual named after their country. He'd been beaten in Europe at what? 2-5, and 4-5? I think we all pretty much knew that what he did yesterday was one of his favorite options. It's disappointing to see the horse do that (but we can't be surprised,right?) Might be as despicable as that Brian horse(called brave Brian or bold Brian.)
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Egyptians should be embarassed to have this despicable individual named after their country. He'd been beaten in Europe at what? 2-5, and 4-5? I think we all pretty much knew that what he did yesterday was one of his favorite options. It's disappointing to see the horse do that (but we can't be surprised,right?) Might be as despicable as that Brian horse(called brave Brian or bold Brian.)
Yep, if this were the wizard of oz, he would be the Tin Man.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Saratoga

Guess who finally won one (at Ruidoso Downs)?

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...061311USA3.pdf
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Keeneland

He's won a few before that, right? He broke his maiden a few months after this thread started.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Saratoga

I added him to my VS when this thread started and wow Hossy I wish I had pp's cause I want to say I have never once noticed this guy get a(nother) win but I could be wrong.

If he did I sure missed it.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
I added him to my VS when this thread started and wow Hossy I wish I had pp's cause I want to say I have never once noticed this guy get a(nother) win but I could be wrong.

If he did I sure missed it.
Yeah he broke his maiden May of 2009 and won a 25k claimer the following January. Weird seeing him winning a race at Ruidoso Downs though.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Saratoga

Thanks for checking Hossy and sorry... must have missed that one.

OR I read it, went into shock, and immediately erased it from my mind as it was too much to comprehend.

Nice that hes won a few now...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Saratoga

Someone is happy at Zia...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...092011USA8.pdf
Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Saratoga

Disappointing.

This thread started with the potential for at least 2 poster murders....and then everyone went googlie.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Saratoga

Has anyone over at NA shot Mrs. Sterling---I mean CM Oreo yet?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Saratoga

What am I saying?

They would never touch Randy's wife.

Has anyone shot him here in The Padlock?