Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Jerome Park

Default Frustration?

So the Derby is over, and the best horse won, and the second best horse suffered a terrible tragedy. The winner is a very nice horse that has accomplished a great deal in a very short period of time while overcoming physical issues. He's also trained by someone who is understandably a lightning rod for attention....both positive and negative. He is also owned by a group in a similar boat. While I have certainly never been a great fan of some of what Dutrow has been involved with, I do think it's important to note that Big Brown ran a tremendous race in his debut, and he was not trained by Mr. Dutrow at that time. He is quite simply a very talented animal and dramatically superior to those that lined up against him Saturday. Many of us bet against him Saturday, myself included, knowing full well he was very possibly superior to his rivals, but we also felt given the post and his lack of experience, his undoing was more than possible. We were wrong.....he won with alarming ease. Personally, I always find a certain satisfaction in any race won by the best horse, and never moreso than in the Kentucky Derby.

But, people are angry. Trust me, I'm an angry guy, I understand. We're upset about what happened to Eight Belles and we're upset that this unfortunate incident is now being used by ignorant zealots with an agenda against this game that we love. And, even though we know they are wrong about most of what they speak, we sadly know there is at least a hint of truth in some of what they say ( truth, in all likelihood, that they don't even understand ). We're also frustrated that nobody in power in the industry has come out rationally, or almost nobody, to attempt to quell the hysteria by those outside the industry. I, too, am frustrated by this, but I also believe we should let them burn themselves out in a few days, and know that the game will go on regardless of their opportunistic ramblings. Just as I believe that a TC winner cannot " save racing ", I also believe that a tragedy in the TC series can't destroy it.

We're also frustrated that this Derby weekend was marred by infighting within the industry that dramatically affected the disemination of the Churchill Downs signal for betting purposes. We can't understand why the industry seems to continue to act in a way that is contrary to our interests, that is the racing fans who support the game, and even though many of us do understand and sympathize with the parties involved, it's hard not to be frustrated that all too often we seem to be the ones left out in the cold. It's easy to ask why can't the industry that we financially support, ever seem to listen to us. Even if we know that in some ways that's a massive oversimplification it's not unfair for us to be at least frustrated by the end result.

But I'm not frustrated. I'm happy that Belmont is open, and there's still eleven weeks left at that beautiful racetrack, and then there's six weeks at glorious Saratoga, followed by seven more at Belmont in the Fall. I'm happy that there's a great chance that in less than five weeks there will be a huge crowd at Belmont hoping for a TC and for a few weeks in NY people will actually care about horse racing. I'm happy that I'll be frustrated on a daily basis betting on the game I love. I'm happy that horse racing exists to give me something to bitch about. I'm happy that there will be many Pick-6s coming up for me to take tough beats betting. I'm happy that my life isn't as boring as those that haven't figured out how great this game is on a daily basis.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Steve Byk

Brilliant piece Andrew. Perfectly put. Thx for elucidating a lot of what people are thinking/feeling.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Del Mar

Great post, Andy. . .
Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Coach Pants

I'm happy I read your post.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Saratoga

I have nothing to add but gotta say how much I enjoyed reading this.

I wish this were on the back pages of newspapers across the country.

Then maybe some would get it, or parts of it... start to have an understanding.

Anyway, well done.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Oriental Park

Great post Andy. It doesn't change any of the issues in the game, but reminds me why I follow and enjoy it. Thank you.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Keeneland

Damn, great post Andy ...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

after driving home for 10 hrs i had a similar thought...i dont care for dutrow..but im a fan of big brown and yes tried to beat him..he beat me easy..all the wile i and many knew hes just the best.. ill root for him the rest of the way....at keeneland they cut away from the breakdown of eight bells..saving many of us from an brutal sight after a outstanding run by the winner and the filly.......... im pissed at larry jones who could have easly run 1/2 in the oaks and abit at the track supers..but in the end thats racing..never perfect..and yes belmont/toga/keenlend belmont..........
Old 05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Flemington

Wonderful post Andy, I enjoyed it very much.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
The Curragh

Well said sir....

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Woodbine

Great post...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Gulfstream Park

Great post.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Oaklawn

Excellent.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Turf Paradise

outstanding piece Andy. Would love to see this make the papers across the land to counter all the negative fallout.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Golden Gate

Excellent post and a great read. I can't find anything I disagree with.
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Ditto what everyone else said.
Les Bois

Default NY racing is the best

i can't wait to get to belmont park! and to bring my daughters to saratoga in august. thx
Old 05-05-2008, 08:14 PM
The Curragh

Well said.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Arlington Park

Well said!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Ellis Park

Perfectly stated and heartfelt ...I have exhausted my pretentious ass cruising the internet to try to correct and bring rationality to this hearbreaking situation ... Nothing will bring the filly back, and perhaps there is no explanation but that it was an accident ...
It infuriates me that those who see a race or two a year are ready with explanations, damnations and other ations ...
And yes, there is some truth even in the ranting of the PETA people and other hysterics ...
Nobody wants to see this happen ... And nobody doesn't want speed without safety ...