Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Saratoga

Default Hong Kong Raiders!

I know, I know... the Carnival thread is getting really long and most of the HK people don't post anymore.

Ain't gonna stop me though!

Viva Macau..... have a safe trip on Saturday and behave on the plane!

Watch What Happens..... if he does well in his barrier trial (Friday), he gets to go too. Awwww.

Make us proud, good boys.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Thistley Downs

^^^ One of 5 Garbage Pail Kids still on the loose.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Saratoga

Since you're the only one left to talk about HK boys, can you at least fake it?
Old 02-22-2008, 03:12 AM
Saratoga

Watch What Happens wins his barrier trial!

http://www.hkjc.com/english/press/btrs.asp
Old 02-22-2008, 07:25 AM
Arlington Park

I follow the HK circuit as much as I can, glad to see someone other than me that has an interest here.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Thistley Downs

Oh yes....let's do watch.

Should be fun!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I follow the HK circuit as much as I can, glad to see someone other than me that has an interest here.
Yea!!!

... and we can have sleepovers and do make-overs and talk about the swimmers and, and.....

Glad you're here.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC

Old 02-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Saratoga

It's a good thing Kingie isn't in charge of UAE press releases or they'd never get any buzz.

Watch What Happens to Dubai

Hong Kong's mpressive all-weather track performer Watch What Happens heads to Dubai today, on the advice of champion jockey Douglas Whyte, according to the South China Morning Post.

The five-year-old has not raced since impressively winning the Pok Oi Cup (1,650m) on the artificial surface at Sha Tin on January 12.

The Sean Woods-trained rising star will accompany the John Moore-trained Viva Macau on the trip to compete at the Dubai International Racing Carnival’s 'Super Thursday' meeting on March 6.

Watch What Happens will line up for the Group 3 Burj Nahaar, a race over 1,600 metres on dirt, with the goal of securing an invitation to compete in the US$1m Godolphin Mile (Gr 2), sponsored by Etisalat, over the same course and distance on Dubai World Cup night, March 29.

“Douglas Whyte was very impressed with how Watch What Happens won on the dirt here last month and his confidence that the horse can measure up in stronger company on that surface has been one of the deciding factors in our going,” Woods explained.

“The horse is in great form and the dirt track at Nad Al Sheba, with its long home straight, should suit him.”

Watch What Happens, a five-year-old by Stravinsky, did not race as a juvenile but had five starts as a three-year-old for two wins, two seconds and a fourth. Each of the wins was over 1,600 metres on good ground at Chantilly, home of the French Derby and Oaks.

Since being purchased for Hong Kong, Watch What Happens’ turf form was disappointing but he really came into his own on the Sha Tin dirt track, where he has now won high-rating races at both 1,200 and 1,650 metres.

In fact, in his win over 1,200 metres on May 12 last year, Watch What Happens registered new course record figures of 1:07.8.

Moore has the blessing of owner Stanley Ho Hung-sun to send Viva Macau to the UAE to contest the Jebel Hatta (Gr 2, 1777m) on turf in a bid to earn selection for the US$5m Dubai Duty Free on the Dubai World Cup undercard.

Viva Macau’s trip also has some reconnaissance value for Moore and Ho, as the bigger game is for stablemate Viva Pataca to emulate Vengeance Of Rain’s win for Hong Kong in the US$5m Dubai Sheema Classic, sponsored by Nakheel.

Viva Pataca must first come through Sunday's HK$8 million Citi Hong Kong Gold Cup, for which he will be a dominating favourite in a field of just eight runners.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Saratoga

Bye kids!!!!!

Be good on the plane.

http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2008022318223.htm
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Saratoga

Viva Pataca leaves March 18th.....
Old 02-24-2008, 10:12 AM
The Curragh

I'm being lazy, I know...... but which race is VP going for, The Duty Free or The Sheema Classic?

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
I'm being lazy, I know...... but which race is VP going for, The Duty Free or The Sheema Classic?
The Sheema Classic.

Holding my breath now to see what Tony does with Bullish Luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:21 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
The Sheema Classic.

Holding my breath now to see what Tony does with Bullish Luck.
Glad about that. I had visions of him running in the Duty Free and not having enough speed to do himself justice. The Sheema Classic should suit him much better. Not saying he'll still be good enough to win that, but he will have a chance over that distance.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 02-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
Glad about that. I had visions of him running in the Duty Free and not having enough speed to do himself justice. The Sheema Classic should suit him much better. Not saying he'll still be good enough to win that, but he will have a chance over that distance.
Viva Macau is going to the Duty Free..... hope he does well.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Saratoga

11 days till the Bullish Luck / Floral Pegasus decision.

IF they go, Mosse gets Floral Peg and Soumillon Bullish Luck.

START THE COUNTDOWN CLOCK!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Saratoga

South China Morning Post.....

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cruz's stars in Dubai holding pattern

MURRAY BELL

Senior handicapper Nigel Gray believes an invitation for Viva Pataca to participate in the US$5 million Dubai Sheema Classic should be a formality, but it will be a waiting game for perhaps another 11 days for trainer Tony Cruz to see if Floral Pegasus and Bullish Luck are invited for the Dubai Duty Free.

Dubai Racing Club executives will be waiting until the conclusion of the "Super Thursday" meeting next week, where there are three key lead-up races for Group Ones on World Cup night 23 days later.

"Given Viva Pataca's high international rating, an invitation for him should be a mere formality," Gray said.

"And as far as Floral Pegasus and Bullish Luck are concerned, I would be fairly optimistic that they would both get invited, but that's not for me to say."

Bullish Luck finished third in the US$6 million Dubai World Cup on dirt last year but Cruz said on Sunday he and owner Wong Wing Keung definitely want the veteran to try for the Dubai Duty Free this year.

With prize money of US$5 million, the Dubai Duty Free (1,777m) shares equal billing with the Sheema Classic (2,400m) as the world's richest races on turf.

If invited, it will be Bullish Luck's third visit to the desert city. The first was in 2006, when he finished a meritorious fifth in the Dubai Duty Free after beginning from barrier 15.

"The wide barrier killed him that day, and nothing away from the rails had a winning chance," Cruz reflected.

"But although he ran a brave race on the dirt last year in the World, he's really a turf horse and the Duty Free is the race we'd like to contest with him."

Gerald Mosse will retain the ride on Floral Pegasus in Dubai, while Christophe Soumillon will have first refusal of the mount on Bullish Luck.

Watch What Happens and Viva Macau will be racing in Dubai at the "Super Thursday" fixture and the Jockey Club yesterday gave clearances to jockeys Douglas Whyte and Darren Beadman to attend the big meeting.

Whyte would depart after next Wednesday's Happy Valley meeting and return two days later to fulfil his riding engagements at the Sha Tin meeting on March 9..

Beadman will leave next Tuesday and will therefore not be available to accept rides at the Valley meeting.

http://racing.scmp.com/freeservice/n...s20080226a.asp
Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Saratoga

I've updated the Mr. Luck thread instead of this one but I just had to say

Good luck to the Fab Four!

GO, HONG KONG RAIDERS!!!!!

(... and show the non-believers that you're NOT "under par").

Come home safe, good boys.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Newmarket

they're all pretty good and should be taken seriously. Viva Pataca in particular looks strong.

you have to admire horses like Bullish Luck making that trip again at nine, after hard campaigns and minor injuries, competing with the best over and over.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Arlington Park

Being a fan of Shatin, I always believed Hong Kong racing can compete with anywhere in the world. It will be hard pressed to surpass V. Of Rain and B. Luck of 2007. But atleast there are guns to fire in here. Floral Pegasus and Viva Pataca will get their support tommorow and I won't blindly bet them out of allegiance. As always alot quality horses will be at fair to good prices, that is where I will deviate towards.