Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley
Is TVG broadcasting the races? If so, what time? My daughter and I stayed up to watch the Japan Cup races 2 weeks ago. We'd love to watch Ouija Board's last race live. Thanks, Deb

from what I understand,
NO.
TVG at one time covered all of HK's big race days.
then they started carrying Japan racing and stopped showing HK racing.
and I dont think HRTV will be showing it either.

Repent
Old 12-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Saratoga

It sucks that it's not on TVG.....

Friday trackwork photos...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2006120814811.htm
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Saratoga

Audio link, for anyone who needs it...
http://www.hkjc.com/english/press/live.asp

Updated trackwork videos.....
http://www.cxhkir.com/english/hkir20..._trackwork.asp

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 12-08-2006 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
the bears game isn't til monday nite so i'm assuming i can watch these sunday at the mud bug---rebel rebel i can understand, but congrats? GO OUJIA BOARD!!!
I was really confused when I read this till I figured out you probably meant the Congrats in the Dublin (nice, nice field).

Not the same as the retired Mandella horse.....

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/h...p?HorseNo=G298

Lucky Baby and Cheeky are really good, and Bobo Win is improving.....

So you know, this will be on Saturday night here so hopefully it doesn't in anyway interfere with the bears, whoever they are!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:17 PM
Saratoga

R1 - Grand Central
R2 - Bulldozer (behave yourself this time!)
R3 - The Vase - Maraahel / Scorpion / Saturn
R4 - I love this field. All's Well / Happee Owner / Noble Crusader / Helene Pillaging
R5 - Silent Witness / Sunny Sing / Down Town
R6 - no pick
R7 - The Mile - Armada / Bullish Luck / Floral Pegasus / Russian Pearl
R8, The Cup - Pride / Hello Pretty / Vengeance of Rain / Alexander (Viva off the board)
R9 - Lucky Baby / Cheeky / Bobo

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 12-09-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by repent
from what I understand,
NO.
TVG at one time covered all of HK's big race days.
then they started carrying Japan racing and stopped showing HK racing.
and I dont think HRTV will be showing it either.

Repent
Thanks. Maybe TVG will show it on their "Finishline" show Sunday night. Fingers crossed! Deb
Old 12-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley
Thanks. Maybe TVG will show it on their "Finishline" show Sunday night. Fingers crossed! Deb
Replays will be up about 5 minutes after each race right here...
http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/Results.asp

Forgot to post Friday trackwork notes.....
Cathay Pacific Hong Kong International Races 2006 Tracknotes, Friday, December 8

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint

SHE IS TOSHO

The Japanese hopeful performed a gentle workout on the dirt this morning.

Akinori Orikawa, travelling head lad to trainer Toshiaki Shirai:

"She moved very nicely and she is in good form. She seems very relaxed and will come out on the turf tomorrow morning."

RED OOG

Hugh Bowman, jockey:

"Dreadful drawing 14 but I guess that's not as bad as what's happening with Takeover Target and I still think we're a chance. Everyone knows we wanted to draw in and slot in fifth or sixth but I'll probably just to have to go back and find some cover. In that scenario we just have to hope the speed is on up front and that looks to be likely. I can tell you the horse looks great ?probably better than I've ever seen him look."

Trainer Joe Pride, who on Saturday night in Hong Kong will marry his childhood sweetheart Kylie O'Meara, added:

"He's never won two races in a row in his life so perhaps the interference he suffered last start was a blessing in disguise. Some of the best runs of his career have come off the back of a soft run. He's racing the Sydney way (right-handed); at his favourite distance and the weight-for-age scale suits. He's been prepared well... now it's in the hands of Hughie Bowman and the Gods."

ABSOLUTE CHAMPION

Brett Prebble, jockey:

"He's a very good horse, the record holder at the track and distance. He's got to come from right back and I'll have to ride him for luck but he is very smart."

DESERT LORD

Neil Callan, jockey:

"Everyone is going to see what this horse looks like from behind. He's very happy - that's what he told me anyway!"

Kevin Ryan, trainer:

"He was looking at everything. He is in great, great order. He'll be thereabouts."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup

VENGEANCE OF RAIN

The final touches were applied to the defending champion's preparation and there is no disguising his connections' bullishness.

Anthony Delpech, jockey:

"It was nice work, it just keeps him ticking over. The real work was on Tuesday morning and I couldn't believe the time he did ?21.6 or 21.7 or whatever it was ?because he did it so easily. I thought the clock must have been broken! But it just shows how well he is. From gate two he will get a nice position with cover and I probably won't have him further back than second or third. He can go on from the 700m and he will be pretty hard to get past. Even last year when Pride came to him, Christophe Soumillon said to me after that we could have gone for another 100m and they still wouldn't have caught us."

ADMIRE MOON

Cantered on the all-weather track.

Hiroyoshi Matsuda, trainer:

"He moved strongly today and that proves he has maintained his best form since last time [when third in the Tenno Sho Autumn]"

HELLO PRETTY

Brett Prebble, jockey:

"This horse has really improved a lot and I think he'll be very hard to beat."

GROWL

Growl again had a solid hit-out on the all-weather track this morning, running his last 400m in 24.4 sec.

David Hayes, trainer:

"His work has been great all week and when you travel a horse that's the sort of positive sign you look for. He's done well and that's half the battle."

SATWA QUEEN

Jean de Roualle, trainer

"This is her first time against male horses so it is a challenge but I think she can earn some prize-money. She has a good jockey riding and she seems to be in great form. Pride, Vengeance Of Rain and Hello Pretty are the ones to beat, I think."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase

KASTORIA

Worked on the turf under Mick Kinane in 25.0 sec and looked well.

John Oxx, trainer:

"The ground was too testing in Canada. It is the end of the year and she came home a bit down in the dumps but she recovered well so that is why we are here. There must be a little question mark about how she will perform, but we are here to try and earn some prize money."

MARAAHEL

Put in a pleasing workout on the turf in 24.4 sec.

Richard Hills, jockey:

"He moved well and felt good today, and he's every bit as good as last year [when second in the CXHK Cup]"

OUIJA BOARD

The great mare put in a regulation canter on the all weather, under her regular work rider Jason Tate, watched by trainer Ed Dunlop and owner Lord Derby.

"She seems in great shape, the weather and climate out here really suits her. She had a hard race in Japan, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to her that I can see."

ADMIRE MAIN

Cantered easily in the trotting ring watched by his trainer Mitsuru Hashida who said:

"He looks great and is in great form. I have no worries about him."

COLLIER HILL

Worked on the turf at half pace.

Dean McKeown, jockey:

"We didn't go too fast today. We'll show you what he is really made off on Sunday."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile

REBEL REBEL

Richard Dutrow, trainer:

"We think he's best as a one-turn miler, and he showed us that when he ran second in the Woodbine Mile. We've had this mind since then. You can forget his last start - at Santa Anita - that was really just a trial for today. His preparation in Hong Kong has gone like clockwork."

BULLISH LUCK

Brett Prebble, jockey:

"He's a big, gross horse so he'll be better for his last run. Let's hope the horse I won on in the Yasuda Kinen is the one who turns up here on Sunday."

MUSTAMEET

Kevin Prendergast, trainer:

"He came here in good form and he seems to have improved as the week has gone on."
Old 12-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Arlington Park

Thanks! Deb
Old 12-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Newmarket

Default Hong Kong Picks

Assuming now that Takeover Target is not running. If he does get in, will make an edit.

1 – Jade Dragonfly / Noble Heart / Tactic King / Vincere
2 – Towering Feeling / Bulldozer / Well Noted / Romantic Green
3 – Maraahel / Shamdala / Collier Hill
4 – Royal Delight / Liberal’s Knight / All’s Well / Planet Ruler
5 – Scintillation / Meisho Bowler / Absolute Champion
6 – JOY and Fun / Bear Macho / Thunder dancing / Pickett
7 – Mustameet / Armada / Floral Pegasus / Sir Ernesto
8 – Pride / Alexander Goldrun / Growl / Vengeance of Rain
9 – Lucky BABY / Good Nature / Bullish Cash / Winning Reward

Last edited by ArlJim78 : 12-09-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Saratoga

Oh man.....

Lame Ouija Board in Doubt for Vase Swansong

Champion European mare Ouija Board is in doubt for tomorrow's Group One The Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase at Sha Tin.

The mare was found to have soreness in her left front leg when examined by a veterinary officer for the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

The stud bound mare will be examined by stewards tomorrow morning when a final decision will be made as to whether she runs.

Ouija Board, who two runs back won the Breeders' Cup Distaff at Churchill Downs, was to be having her swansong in the Vase.

Owned by Lord Derby, Ouija Board was placed behind Deep Impact in the Japan Cup last month.

http://www.virtualformguide.com/cgi-...9lameouija.txt

http://www.thoroughbrednews.co.nz/in...onal/?id=27014

Post times...

>>> Hong Kong Cup [2000m, approx 1.25miles], approx $US 2..6mil... Post time Sunday, 5pm... 4am EST USA

>>> Hong Kong Mile [1600m, approx 1mile], approx $US 2.0mil... Post time Sunday, 4:20pm... 3:20am EST USA

>>> Hong Kong Sprint [1200m, approx 6F], approx $US 1.5mil... Post time Sunday, 3:10pm... 2:10am EST USA

>>> Hong Kong Vase [2400m, approx 1.5miles], approx $US 1.8mil, 12F... Post time Sunday, 2pm... 1am EST USA

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 12-09-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Saratoga

Rebel Rebel... blinkers off...
http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2006120914823.htm

Saturday trackwork notes...
http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2006120914826.htm

R4, Ain't Here is scratched...
http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2006120914825.htm
Old 12-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Saratoga

A lovely piece from Racing Post...

Ouija retires early after injury

by Lee Mottershead

AMID scenes of uncontrollable weeping from her connections, Britain's most popular racehorse and one of the greatest mares to have graced the turf entered retirement on Saturday, as the racing life of the mighty Ouija Board ended a day earlier than anticipated.

Hours ahead of her intended swansong in the Hong Kong Vase, the seven-time Group 1 winner was denied a final hurrah after the recurrence of a splint injury forced owner Lord Derby and trainer Ed Dunlop to bring down the curtain on her glittering career.

A dual Classic heroine and twice victorious at the Breeders' Cup, Ouija Board would have started hot favourite for the Vase, in which a first- or second-place finish would have made her the record prize-money earner in British racing history.

The five-year-old homebred daughter of Cape Cross landed ten of her 22 races, amassing £3,510,682 in prize-money. Only Singspiel earned more.

Three days ago, Ouija Board was announced the ROA/Racing Post Horse of the Year for the second time in three years, having also won the equivalent Cartier Award for 2006.

Reported unsound on her near fore at an early morning inspection on Saturday, Ouija Board was immediately announced an uncertain runner in a statement from the Hong Kong Jockey Club.

Following x-rays and an inspection by Dunlop's vet Mike Shepherd, the mare was given special permission by the HKJC to canter on the Sha Tin track in the afternoon. She moved well until taking lame steps at the jog.

"I had been toying with running, thinking should we, shouldn't we, but once Isaw her trot up lame that was it," said Dunlop.

"Teddy has entrusted her care to me, and it was my decision. Time will always tell that it was the right decision. The risk was too high so we retired her and started crying, and now we are not nervous any more."

Dunlop added: "I really wanted to run. With no disrespect to the rest, she won at the Breeders' Cup with her eyes closed. I am always disappointed when she doesn't win, and after her stamina was stretched when she was third in the Japan Cup I wanted to come and win here so she could go out on a high."

Winner of the 2004 Oaks, a race indelibly linked with Derby's family, Ouija Board went on to complete the English-Irish Oaks double at the Curragh, before ending her campaign with another Kieren Fallon-assisted success in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf.

After winning at Epsom, Lord Derby said: "It is just unbelievable to win this race and follow the example of the 12th Earl, who named this race after his house.

"The boat will be pushed out tonight, after all it is the first time since 1945 that the family has won a Classic. It's great to see the colours go past the post first in any race, but to do it here is simply unbelievable."

Ouija Board was also successful at the highest level in the 2005 Hong Kong Vase, after which Fallon said: "I have ridden some seriously good fillies like Bosra Sham and Islington, and on this evidence she must be right up there with them." Ouija Board added three further top-flight triumphs to her CV this year, landing the Prince Of Wales's Stakes at Royal Ascot under Olivier Peslier, before sending Goodwood into delirium with a pulsating short-head defeat of Alexander Goldrun in the Nassau Stakes.

On that occasion, and when dominant for a second time in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf at Churchill Downs, she was ridden by Frankie Dettori.

The jockey, who had been due to ride her again at Sha Tin, said after that Goodwood glory: "She's one of the all-time favourite horses in England. She's a special filly, one of a kind. She's up there with the best I have ridden. The last filly as good as this one was Balanchine, and that was a few years ago."

On Saturday, Dettori added: "She owes nobody anything. The pleasure she gave the whole world was enormous. I, along with Kieren, Olivier and all associated with her, have been part of a fantastic dream."

Derby, who hopes to have Ouija Board covered by Kingmambo next year and has sent her three-quarter yearling sister to Dunlop, said on Saturday was "terribly emotional".

He added: "I stood there hugging her and started blubbing. It's amazing to think how many races we have been through with her, and it's a relief this happened today not tomorrow. Really, she made the decision."

Robin Trevor-Jones, who travelled the world with the horse he calls "mother" as a key member of Dunlop's team, yesterday called Ouija Board "an absolute legend".

He added: "She's in her box today eating her food. If we had run her, she might not have been in her box this time tomorrow."

Asked what Ouija Board's greatest asset on the course had been, Dunlop pointed to her "great acceleration".

He said: "She was and is better than ever. She is still showing amazing class at the age of five, going into what would have been her tenth race of the year. That's what has made her such a freak.

"We mustn't forget that this is the only sadness we've had with her and the wonderful thing is that she'll be fine to live on and breed.

"The race on Sunday was just a race. We've been very lucky. She has been an unbelievable miracle."

Indeed.

http://www.racingpost.co.uk/news/splash.sd
Old 12-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Santa Anita

Ill never forget Ouija Board.. I still remember her name and catching my eye on her debut..

will have a quick look over the card tomorrow..
I fancy Mustameet and Vengence of Rain though.

#Grand
Old 12-09-2006, 04:04 PM
The Curragh

Now I have to keep my eyes open for a new favorite horse. What a pleasure Ouija Board has been.

--Dunbar
Old 12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Now I have to keep my eyes open for a new favorite horse. What a pleasure Ouija Board has been.

--Dunbar
Well there's always Alexandrova.

Trackwork...

RACE ONE, RATED 80-60 (C3), 1,800 METRES
Noble Heart bears a well-trained appearance and came down his final 800m under Douglas Whyte very nicely. Tactic King kept pace with the fast young horse Flag Finder down the riverside on Thursday, clocking fast time. Gold Field was another to do a riverside gallop, this time a solo spin on Thursday and he appeared to be travelling comfortably throughout. Jade Dragonfly is promising and his major gallop earlier in the week was excellent.
RACE TWO, RATED 80-60 (C3), 1,400 METRES
Bulldozer breezed down the riverside on Thursday, under Olivier Doleuze and always looked to be doing it easily. Romantic Green has done a few attractive pieces of work in recent weeks and Towering Feeling is a very nice horse who has done well during his freshen-up. Douglas Whyte has been on board in four of his five gallop over the past three weeks. Skyview Bar went very nicely for Craig Williams in a steady piece of work on Thursday.

RACE THREE, RATED Terms (G1), 2,400 METRES
Maraahel looks to be in good shape and last year's Cup placegetter has moved along nicely in his work this week. Scorpion is the fresh horse on the scene and is poised to peak after two runs from a spell. He certainly cannot be faulted from general appearance. Saturn has been the star worker of the field and can run a placing on the strength of his outstanding 1,200m in 1:14.2. Admire Main ran a very attractive 1,200m gallop this week, dashing home his final 400m in very smart time (22.7).

RACE FOUR, RATED 120-95 (C1), 1,000 METRES
Helene Pillaging breezed up brilliantly on Thursday and looks to be right at his peak for this race over his pet distance. Planet Ruler is a Group-class horse who came down nicely for Craig Williams in his final breeze. All's Well and Royal Delight did a riverside 800m together on Thursday, with honours going to Royal Delight but Mosse never let All's Well go at all. My Choice never goes too quickly but the honest galloper looks in prime shape.

RACE FIVE, RATED Terms (G1), 1,200 METRES
Red Oog looks in brilliant order and his one breeze on the course proper was achieved with a minimum of fuss. Meisho Bowler has breezed three times this week and his best effort on the AWT (21.3) demanded attention. Silent Witness has gone nicely and while not as good as he formerly was, he's poised to run his best race for the year. Sunny Sing has been in solid form and is a real racehorse; his final breeze was not particularly fast but stylish indeed. Absolute Champion's 800m riverside run last week was smart.

RACE SIX, RATED 80-60 (C3), 1,200 METRES
Inspiration came down 400m very sweetly on Thursday under apprentice Marco Chui. Bear Macho has had Douglas Whyte on board in each of his last three gallops, and looks a bit stronger now than earlier in the season. Northern Hero has trained on nicely since his breakthrough win and came down 400m very strongly on Friday. Galbraith was always under a hold, running 800m on Friday under the guidance of Craig Williams.

RACE SEVEN, RATED Terms (G1), 1,600 METRES
Bullish Luck's final breeze was exceptional and the champion miler has improved significantly after two runs. Ramonti comes from Italy with a tremendous record and shows a good, clean action in his work. Joyful Winner has been a huge trackwork improver, and his final gallop really caught the eye. Armada has done everything right and astute trainer John Size looks like he's squeezed further improvement from this quality galloper. The Duke is "flying" and his major gallop over 1,200m this week was exceptional.

RACE EIGHT, RATED Terms (G1), 2,000 METRES
Vengeance Of Rain has been a trackwork star, particularly his brilliant 800m on the turf on Wednesday. Hello Pretty has also been burning up the tracks, and his final breeze over 400m on Thursday had the star quality about it. Alexander Goldrun looks better this year than last and has done a couple of attractive pieces of work since her arrival. Pride is hard to find from trackwork - she keeps her championship qualities well hidden and her scruffy exterior is hard to see through unless you already know what lies beneath.

RACE NINE, RATED 105-80 (C1), 1,600 METRES
Cheeky was a bit disappointing last start but this normally consistent galloper looks well in himself and should not be taken lightly. Good Nature continues to go well and Paul O'Sullivan has him looking an absolute picture. Lucky Baby may be a doubt at 1,600m but there is no doubting the way he's gone in his work. New Zealand private purchase Congrats is set to make a quantum improvement, and has done two very attractive pieces of work this week. Tony Cruz has given Bullish Cash plenty of work and the bay has handled them all with style.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Saratoga

Repent..... where are you?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Monmouth Park

right here friend.

Im going over the card right now.

Repent
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Monmouth Park

HK Vase- Song of Wind, Maraheel, Egerton
HK Sprint-Takeover Target, Scintillation, Red Oog
HK Mile-Ramonti, Dance In the Mood, Mustameet
HK Cup-Vengeance of Rain, Pride, Alexander Goldrun

Repent
Old 12-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Takeover Target is out for sure
Old 12-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

I'm gonna take Noble Heart in the first.

Scorpion all the way in the Vase

Red Oog in the Sprint

Ramonti in the Mile

Vengeance of Rain in the Cup