Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Saratoga

The Bogberrry (Alain de Royer-Dupre) to the Vase...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Santa Anita

Coral have opened up a book on the 4 races.. some lovely prices

HK Cup: 2 Viva Pataca, 5-2 Eagle Mountain, 9-2 Lush Lashes, 10 Linngari, 14 Balius, Bullish Luck, 16 Loup Breton, Out Of Control

HK Mile: 4 Kip Deville, 9-2 Good Ba Ba, 5 Super Hornet, 6 Egyptian Ra, 8 Armada, Pressing, 9 Natagora, 12 Spirito Del Vento, 14 Major Cadeaux, 16 Laa Rayb, 25 bar

HK Sprint: 9-4 Marchand D'Or, 5-2 Apache Cat, 7 Mythical Flight, 9 Sunny Power, 12 Enthused, 16 bar

HK Vase: 3 Doctor Dino, 7-2 Packing Winner, 7 Muhannak, Buccellati, 10 PurpleMoon, Douro Valley, 12 bar

Pressing is a gift price here.. and if Lush Lashes is in the same form as the summer, she'll be the one to beat on very quick ground.

#Grand
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Saratoga

Interesting Brock!

Any odds for Jackpot Delight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
Bullish Luck
Here's hoping they plan his farewell at Sha Tin that day.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Saratoga

Arrivals...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2008120420527.htm
Old 12-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Saratoga

Changes... Fellowship withdrawn, both Bullish boys in. Bullish Luck (Cup) and Bullish Cash (Mile).
Old 12-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Saratoga

Arrivals!

ARTISTE ROYAL
AWESOME GEM
OUT OF CONTROL
DOCTOR DINO
LOUP BRETON
MARCHAND D'OR
NATAGORA
EAGLE MOUNTAIN
MYTHICAL FLIGHT
PRESSING
LINNGARI
ABBADJINN
ESTEJO
JAGUAR MAIL

http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2008120620568.htm
Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Santa Anita

many of the british bookies have odds up and these are the current best prices a week before the event..

Cup
Viva Pataca (9/4) , Eagle Mountain (11/4) , Lush Lashes (9/2) , Linngari (10) , Balius (16) , Loup Breton (16) , Out Of Control (16) , Artiste Royale (25) , Trincot (25) , Bullish Luck (50) , Estejo (66) , Viva Macau (66) , Hawkes Bay (66) , Sight Winner (100)

Mile
Kip Deville (4) , Good Ba Ba (9/2) , Super Hornet (6) , Armada (8) , Natagora (9) , Pressing (9) , Egyptian Ra (10) , Spirito Del Vento (12) , Major Cadeaux (20) , Laa Rayb (25) , Awesome Gem (28) , Able One (33) , Bullish Cash (33) , Fellowship (50) , Joy And Fun (50)

Vase
Doctor Dino (3) , Packing Winner (5) , Buccellati (7) , Muhannak (7) , Douro Valley (12) , More Wells (12) , Purple Moon (14) , The Bogberry (16) , Jackpot Delight (20) , Jaguar Mail (20) , Poseidon Adventure (20) , Mourilyan (25) , Ambitious General (50)

Sprint
Apache Cat (5/2) , Marchand DOr (5/2) , Mythical Flight (8) , Sunny Power (9) , Enthused (10) , Green Birdie (16) , Laurel Guerreiro (16) , Moorhouse Lad (20) , Waikato (25) , Abbadjinn (33) , Star Crowned (33) , Tosho Courage (33) , Inspiration (100)

as expected the british and Irish contingent arent great value, but it'll be great to take the local odds on some horses in here... Viva Pataca will probably be close to even money, so everything else will be huge..

It'll be interesting to see how Kip Deville gets on..

#Grand
Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Hawkes Bay (66) , Sight Winner (100)
Insanity!

Not saying either will win but ummmm, that's just nuts.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Insanity!

Not saying either will win but ummmm, that's just nuts.

in fairness they do have an awful lot to do to win that race - The Cup is very strong this year.

The HK horse I fancy to do really well (Ive been looking at the brilliant 64 page form guide from the website!) is Green Birdie in the Sprint..

#Grand
Old 12-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
in fairness they do have an awful lot to do to win that race - The Cup is very strong this year.

The HK horse I fancy to do really well (Ive been looking at the brilliant 64 page form guide from the website!) is Green Birdie in the Sprint..
Very nice horse who came back from his injury well...

His record / replays for anyone interested...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/racing/h...p?horseno=H245

(He had a nice piece of work this morning - Doleuze up - according to those there).
Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Saratoga

Trackwork photos...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/news/news_2008120820607.htm
Old 12-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Santa Anita

I was going to make a topic of Muhannak's odds in the HK Vase. I was thinking that it was / is extremely rare for a Breeders Cup winner to go off at really high odds on their first start after the BC(he is 7-1 with Bookies here, but Im sure he will be at least 16-1 in HK!) but as I was about to post, I realised that Nownownow was 25-1 on his first start after winning the Juvi Turf last year...

Anyway, the bomb of the meeting could well be Poseidon Adventure who will probably be 50-1+ and will be placed :-)

#Grand
Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
I was going to make a topic of Muhannak's odds in the HK Vase. I was thinking that it was / is extremely rare for a Breeders Cup winner to go off at really high odds on their first start after the BC(he is 7-1 with Bookies here, but Im sure he will be at least 16-1 in HK!) but as I was about to post, I realised that Nownownow was 25-1 on his first start after winning the Juvi Turf last year...

Anyway, the bomb of the meeting could well be Poseidon Adventure who will probably be 50-1+ and will be placed :-)
I remember him... liked him quite a while ago but no not seeing that.

Good luck though and am usually wrong, so.....

From our good friends at the HKJC...

Wednesday trackwork notes.

Lush Lashes eased up the turf track at Sha Tin today and left Sunday's rider Kevin Manning more than happy with the wellbeing of Ireland's best three-year-old filly, who attempts to give her trainer Jim Bolger a second Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup victory following Alexander Goldrun's thrilling win in 2004.

Having completed the last 400 metres in an effortless 24.4 sec, Manning said: "She went through her paces nicely. One of her strong points is that she's very straightforward and can be ridden any way. We can have her handy or slot her in behind.

"She has travelled over very well and she hasn't lost any weight. She has a very strong constitution and you wouldn't know she's been on the go for most of the year."

Even though Bolger puts Lush Lashes in the same category as Alexander Goldrun, Manning did not want to be drawn into make comparisons between them and was more interested in contemplating Sunday's dangers. "Viva Pataca looks like the one we've got to beat," he said.

As a three-year-old filly, Lush Lashes will receive between 4lbs and 7lbs from the rest of the field on her first test against male rivals.

The Australian international contenders Apache Cat and Douro Valley continue to please in their preparations with both horses in great shape and taking the eye of most observers.

Leading Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint contender Apache Cat had a "three-quarter spin" on the course proper with regular track rider Danielle Ellett reporting that the gelding felt "sensational' after his 800m workout.

Apache Cat zipped home his last 400m in 22.0 sec despite appearing to be unextended. Ellett has ridden the horse throughout his career and was enthusiastic about how well he's done in Hong Kong.

"He really does feel great. He's very laid-back, very relaxed and takes everything in his stride. It doesn't matter to him whether he's going left handed or right handed and the change of environment hasn't bothered him," she said.

Apache Cat's trainer Greg Eurell was also satisfied with what he saw this morning.

"I'm very pleased with him. He's a horse who enjoys his work, did it pretty comfortably this morning and everything has gone as well as we could hope for," he said.

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase hopeful Douro Valley looked a picture of health after an easy morning's stretch on the all-weather track. "He's super, really good," was the succinct appraisal of Paul Koumis, who has been looking after the Danny O'Brien trained gelding in Hong Kong.

Andrew Balding was at Sha Tin for a first look at his Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase chance Buccellati this morning, and was happy with what he saw.

"He has travelled well and settled in here, that's the main thing," said Balding.

"He's won three of his last four starts and is on the upgrade, but this is a step up again for him. Frankly he'll need to improve again against horses of the calibre of last year's winner Doctor Dino, who I thought looked fabulous this morning on the track. But Buccellati is tough and has a big heart. I'll be very happy if he runs in the first four."

Luca Cumani's stayer Purple Moon looked a picture as he glistened in the bright sunshine and seems to have put a disappointing trip to the Japan Cup behind him.

Purple Moon finished ninth two weeks ago in Tokyo but Cumani's travelling head lad, Ian Willows, is confident of a better performance in the Vase this Sunday.

"He seems far happier here than he was in Japan. He is really taking everything in and he walked around the paddock during his parade ring trial as if he owned the place. He is a social animal who loves to have others around him. He was very much on his own in Tokyo and I don't think he really enjoyed it," Willows said.

"I see no reason why he cannot run a huge race on Sunday, but the big proviso is that there needs to be an end to end gallop."

The pace of this year's Vase may well be stronger than previous editions. Douro Valley is a noted for his pacesetting style and Mourilyan is expect to race more prominently with Herman Brown applying blinkers for the first time.

Another source of pace lies closer to home and that's Packing Winner. Conqueror of Viva Pataca in the Citi Champions & Chater Cup late last term, Packing Winner satisfactorily breezed 1200m on the dirt under jockey Douglas Whyte with the final split in 23.3 seconds.

Trainer Peter Ho who watched the gallop was pleased with his horse's condition and believes he has a chance of figuring in the money on Sunday.

"His first up run was delayed but he wasn't beaten all that far when he was only at about 60 per cent in the Cup Trial and now he's much better off," Ho said.

"Starting the season at 2000m and then going up to 2400m is a challenge, but I think he will either lead or sit in second if the Australian horse [Douro Valley] wants to take it up and he'll be staying on at the finish."

Japan has been the only country to break the British-French hegemony in the Vase over the past decade and it appears Jaguar Mail is quietly fancied to emulate Stay Gold's win in 2001.

The four-year-old son of Jungle Pocket had a gentle outing on all-weather track under his regular partner, jockey Shu Ishibashi, who later said: "I gave him a light canter just to loosen him up on all-weather track this morning. I cannot find anything negative about my horse. I think he has enjoyed a good spell here in Hong Kong and is in a good mood. His trainer [Noriyuki Hori] will arrive tomorrow and Jaguar Mail will gallop on the turf on Friday."

Paul Rutter, travelling head lad for trainer Michael Jarvis, who saddles the highly regarded Pressing in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile, was another happy with the condition of his charge.

"He just cantered six furlongs this morning, but he seems very well," Rutter said of the son of Soviet Star.

"He's been very impressive in his last two starts, and although it might be a strange thing to say of a horse of his age, it may be that he's still improving. He's matured and filled out, and I think that a mile is his best trip, although he's won over further. This is his time of year, he travels well in his races and has a finishing kick and this ground will suit so I sense he'll run a big race on Sunday," came Rutter's upbeat assessment.

Last out on the turf track on Wednesday morning was another fancied contender in the Mile, the American trained Breeders' Cup Mile winner of 2007 - Kip Deville. The striking grey had a leisurely gallop on the turf for exercise rider Michelle Nevin, Kip Deville will be racing on a right handed track for the first time on Sunday, something that will be, according to Nevin: "no problem at all".

French trainer Jean-Marie Beguigne travelled to Hong Kong last year with Spirito Del Vento in the Mile and went home after never-nearer sixth place wondering what might have been with a kinder draw than barrier 13.

"He had to be ridden back and wide a year ago so I hope he can be closer to the rails and the pace this year with gate that is more inside.

"He is just as good this year, if not a little better, so I think he can improve on last year's position," said Beguigne, "and he will not have any problem with the ground - fast or heavy, it's the same for him."

After watching Mile candidate Major Cadeaux breeze on the all-weather, Richard Hannon Jnr, assistant trainer of the British raider said:

"He lost a little weight when he arrived but he's put that back on and we are very happy with him. Many people back home think he wants soft ground - that's a fallacy - in fact I don't think he really liked the soft conditions at Deauville when he was third in the Group One Prix Jacques le Marois. We won't be using the ground as an excuse on Sunday."

"We plan to do some faster work on Friday when Richard Hughes will be here to ride. It's not going to be easy on Sunday but what do you expect with HK$16 million at stake?"

Jockey Yusuke Fujioka, who has the ride on Japan's Mile contender Super Hornet was also at the track this morning to watch his horse put in some fast work on the turf track under his exercise rider Koji Kubo.

"He has lost weight travelling in the past and not eaten up well after long distant trips, but this time he did not lose a lot, and looks in much better form than I expected. He put in an impressive canter today. I am really excited about Sunday's meeting," said Fujioka.

Japanese trainer Mitsugu Kon, at the end of his best season ever with the top three-year-old colt Deep Sky, winner of the NHK Mile and the Japanese Derby, was at Sha Tin to observe his Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint player Laurel Guerreiro blaze on the turf in a final fraction of 21.4 sec.

Kon was very pleased with the gallop and said: "He looks in top form and galloped very powerfully. He hasn't lost any weight travelling here and he is also eating up well so we are very happy."

Also representing Japan in the Sprint, Tosho Courage looked in top form as he galloped under jockey Kenichi Ikezoe on all-weather track.

"He lost a bit of weight when he underwent the export quarantine routine at Ritto [Training Centre]. However his condition is getting better and he is eating all he is given and he's nearly back to his normal weight," said his work rider Masakazu Sakai.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Arlington Park

I know this isn't very creative but if Dr. Dino is 5:1 or better I may take a shot with him. I'll be surprised if he goes off at only 3:1 but that's just a guess.

Last edited by CSC : 12-10-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Santa Anita

I'd be very confident of Dino if it wasnt for his relatively poor run in Canada. He is usually really consistent and that race has put a bit of doubt in my mind,..

#Grand
Old 12-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I'd be very confident of Dino if it wasnt for his relatively poor run in Canada. He is usually really consistent and that race has put a bit of doubt in my mind,..
It's an angle I like to play when a horse runs poorly, esp when it's a class horse. I'm just hoping for better odds than 3:1, I wouldn't play for anything less than 5:1.

*Drew post 12*

Last edited by CSC : 12-11-2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Saratoga

Race 4 - THE CATHAY PACIFIC HONG KONG VASE
Sunday, December 14, 2008, Sha Tin, 14:00
Turf ,"A" Course ,2400m

Prize Money: $14,000,000.00, Rating: -, (GROUP 1)

Horse No. Last 6 Runs Colour Horse Wt. Jockey Draw Trainer Rtg. Rtg.+/- Horse Wt. (Declaration) Gear
1 1 DOCTOR DINO 126 O Peslier 12 R Gibson - - SR
2 DOURO VALLEY 126 D Beadman 13 D O'Brien - - B
3 MORES WELLS 126 D McDonogh 10 K Prendergast - - SR/TT
4 7/1/4/5/4/4 PACKING WINNER 126 D Whyte 7 L Ho - -
5 MUHANNAK 126 P Smullen 4 R Beckett - -
6 PURPLE MOON 126 J Spencer 6 L M Cumani - - E
7 3/4/2/2/2/1 JACKPOT DELIGHT 126 G Mosse 9 C Fownes - - B
8 POSEIDON ADVENTURE 126 A Suborics 3 W Figge - - B
9 MOURILYAN 126 R Moore 1 H Brown - - V
10 BUCCELLATI 126 W Buick 11 A M Balding - - V/XB
11 JAGUAR MAIL 126 M Kinane 2 N Hori - - XB
12 5/2/4/7/8/4 AMBITIOUS GENERAL 126 E Saint-Martin 8 D J Hall - - TT
13 THE BOGBERRY 121 C Soumillon 5 de Royer-Dupre - - XB

Race 5 - THE CATHAY PACIFIC HONG KONG SPRINT
Sunday, December 14, 2008, Sha Tin, 14:40
Turf ,"A" Course ,1200m

Prize Money: $12,000,000.00, Rating: -, (GROUP 1)

Horse No. Last 6 Runs Colour Horse Wt. Jockey Draw Trainer Rtg. Rtg.+/- Horse Wt. (Declaration) Gear
1 APACHE CAT 126 C Brown 2 G Eurell - - B
2 6 MARCHAND D'OR 126 D Bonilla 4 F Head - -
3 MYTHICAL FLIGHT 126 K Shea 8 S Tarry - - SR
4 1/5/1/1/1/3 ENTHUSED 126 D Whyte 13 J Size - -
5 2/8/1/4/9/5 SUNNY POWER 126 B Prebble 12 K W Lui - -
6 3/1/7/3/1/4 GREEN BIRDIE 126 O Doleuze 5 C Fownes - -
7 LAUREL GUERREIRO 126 H Shii 3 M Kon - - SW/TT
8 WAIKATO 126 J Saimee 6 L K Laxon - - B
9 ABBADJINN 126 T Hellier 7 P Rau - -
10 MOORHOUSE LAD 126 J Crowley 1 B Smart - -
11 TOSHO COURAGE 126 K Ikezoe 10 K Ikezoe - - H
12 7/5/1/11/2/7 INSPIRATION 126 D Beadman 9 J Moore - - XB/TT
13 12/3/3/1 NIGHTLIGN 126 G Mosse 11 A Lee - -

Race 7 - THE CATHAY PACIFIC HONG KONG MILE
Sunday, December 14, 2008, Sha Tin, 15:50
Turf ,"A" Course ,1600m

Prize Money: $16,000,000.00, Rating: -, (GROUP 1)

1 3/6/17/1/1/1 GOOD BA BA 126 C Soumillon 7 A Schutz - - TT
2 KIP DEVILLE 126 C Velasquez 12 R Dutrow Jr - - XB/TT
3 5/2/2/1/8/2 ARMADA 126 D Whyte 4 J Size - -
4 SUPER HORNET 126 Y Fujioka 2 Y Yahagi - -
5 PRESSING 126 N Callan 11 M A Jarvis - -
6 6 SPIRITO DEL VENTO 126 O Peslier 9 J-M Beguigne - - XB
7 1/2/1/10/8/5 EGYPTIAN RA 126 F Coetzee 13 A S Cruz - - TT
8 4/1/7/9/5/12 ABLE ONE 126 D Beadman 5 J Moore - -
9 AWESOME GEM 126 G Gomez 3 C Dollase - - V/XB/TT
10 LAA RAYB 126 R Ffrench 8 M Johnston - - E/XB
11 MAJOR CADEAUX 126 R Hughes 1 R Hannon - -
12 3/10/11/4/9/1 BULLISH CASH 126 M Kinane 6 A S Cruz - - TT
13 4/3/4/7/8/4 JOY AND FUN 126 W C Marwing 14 D Cruz - -
14 NATAGORA 121 C Lemaire 10 P Bary - -

Race 8 - THE CATHAY PACIFIC HONG KONG CUP
Sunday, December 14, 2008, Sha Tin, 16:30
Turf ,"A" Course ,2000m

Prize Money: $20,000,000.00, Rating: -, (GROUP 1)

1 EAGLE MOUNTAIN 126 K Shea 5 M F de Kock - - SR
2 1/1/2/3/2/1 VIVA PATACA 126 D Beadman 6 J Moore - - H
3 6/5 LINNGARI 126 R Moore 12 Sir M R Stoute - -
4 LOUP BRETON 126 A Crastus 7 E Lellouche - - SW
5 2 BALIUS 126 G Mosse 13 Laffon-Parias - - B
6 OUT OF CONTROL 126 G Gomez 14 R Frankel - - TT
7 ARTISTE ROYAL 126 O Peslier 2 N D Drysdale - - V/XB/TT
8 ESTEJO 126 D Porcu 9 R Rohne - -
9 8/9/14/3/13/3 BULLISH LUCK 126 C Soumillon 4 A S Cruz - - B/XB
10 2/5/2/3/3/10 HAWKES BAY 126 B Prebble 1 D J Hall - - XB
11 6/13/1/11/4/12 VIVA MACAU 126 Z Purton 11 J Moore - - SW/TT
12 2/1/9/8/3/3 SIGHT WINNER 126 D Whyte 3 J Size - -
13 TRINCOT 123 I Mendizabal 8 P Demercastel - - SR
14 LUSH LASHES 119 K Manning 10 J S Bolger - -

Where to go to listen live...

http://www.hkjc.com/english/press/live.asp

Reaction(s) to barrier draws...

Richard Gibson - gate 12 - Doctor Dino." I wouldn't have picked that one, it leaves the jockey less tactical options."

Olivier Peslier -Doctor Dino- "I'm less concerned. I think the pace will be slow, as there is no obvious frontrunner, and it may be a help to be drawn on the outside. Anyway number 12 is my lucky number. I'm also not too worried that he didn't run so well last time in Canada. When he was younger, he disappointed at Vichy and it was in a much lower class race than this."

Ralph Beckett - Muhannak -gate 4: " That's good, he can watch everything that's going on around him."

Sarah Cumani - Purple Moon – gate 6 - "Thank goodness Luca has got Purple Moon a good draw at last."

Herman Brown – Mourilyan – gate 1 - "The draw is unimportant, what he needs is a bit of racing luck. I expect he'll be three-back along the rails and if he gets luck he'll be hard to beat."

Douglas Whyte - Packing Winner - gate 7 - " The draw's okay. He's a versatile horse.
If no one else seriously wants to take it up, I'd be happy to go forward."

Andreas Suborics – Poseidon Adventure – gate 3 – "He'll race from midfield as he can take some time to find his rhythm from the start."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint

Managing owner Paul Radford - Apache Cat – gate 2 – "Maybe three or four would have been even better as he does like some room but trust me I am delighted with barrier two."

Freddy Head - Marchand D'Or - gate 4 - "That is a good draw. I am not worried about the bend and the ground should not be too fast."

Jim Crowley - Moorhouse Lad – gate 1 - "I'd rather be there than out wide. He's quick out of the gate and I'd like to be on the lead if I can."

John Size – Enthused – gate 13 – "That's a disaster. He's in great form and he keeps improving every time he goes to the races but he could have done with better luck with the barrier."

Francis Lui – Sunny Power – gate 12 - "Of course the draw is not ideal. We might go forward from there. He needs to break well."

Caspar Fownes – Green Birdie – gate 5 – "Ideal slot. He'll be able to truck in along behind the speed and let down in the straight with a gap."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile

Tony Cruz - Egyptian Ra - gate 13 - " We were going to go forward anyway, and that's made our mind up for us."

Andreas Schutz – Good Ba Ba - gate 7 – "It's a similar middle gate as when he won last year so he should get a sweet run."

Pascal Bary - Natagora - gate 10 - " I've just arrived this morning, and the filly appears very well. I'm not over concerned about the draw.

Douglas Whyte - Armada - gate 4 - " I was hoping for a low draw, so I'm really chuffed with that. He should get his chance from there, so fingers crossed everything goes well. John [Size, trainer] will have him right, the man's a genius."

Richard Hannon Jr - Major Cadeaux - gate 1 - " He's a hold up horse, so we'll need luck in running, but it's a good place to be."

Yoshito Yahagi - Super Hornet - gate 2 - "As he's got an inside gate, we won't hesitate to push forward, as I don't want him to get trapped on the rail. But I hope he'll still produce his usual late kick."

John Moore - Able One - gate 5 - "He should be able to get a good position from there. He's an international Gr.1 winner, so this holds no fears for him."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup

Mike De Kock - Eagle Mountain - gate 5 - "Happy with that, it's a good slot, but he's a versatile horse anyway. He's as fit as a fiddle and as good as I've ever had him."

Carlos Laffon-Parias - Balius - gate 13 - "Not worried, he's not going to be on the lead anyway."

Jim Bolger - Lush Lashes - gate 10- " It's not ideal, but I'll go there with no pre-conceived ideas. There's no point in having a fixed plan. We'll leave it to Kevin [Manning, jockey]"

John Moore - Viva Pataca – gate 6 "It's an ideal gate which leaves lots of options for Darren [Beadman, jockey]. We've got the favourite [Eagle Mountain] drawn inside us, which is also a plus. I've never had him better – third time lucky, I hope."

Olivier Peslier - Artiste Royal - gate 2 - " It's a good draw and a nice ride to pick up. I rode this horse to win when he was in France and I won on his mother too."

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 12-11-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Race 4 - THE CATHAY PACIFIC HONG KONG VASE
Sunday, December 14, 2008, Sha Tin, 14:00
Turf ,"A" Course ,2400m

Reaction(s) to barrier draws...

Richard Gibson - gate 12 - Doctor Dino." I wouldn't have picked that one, it leaves the jockey less tactical options."
Olivier Peslier -Doctor Dino- "I'm less concerned. I think the pace will be slow, as there is no obvious frontrunner, and it may be a help to be drawn on the outside. Anyway number 12 is my lucky number. I'm also not too worried that he didn't run so well last time in Canada. When he was younger, he disappointed at Vichy and it was in a much lower class race than this."

Ralph Beckett - Muhannak -gate 4: " That's good, he can watch everything that's going on around him."

Sarah Cumani - Purple Moon – gate 6 - "Thank goodness Luca has got Purple Moon a good draw at last."

Herman Brown – Mourilyan – gate 1 - "The draw is unimportant, what he needs is a bit of racing luck. I expect he'll be three-back along the rails and if he gets luck he'll be hard to beat."

Douglas Whyte - Packing Winner - gate 7 - " The draw's okay. He's a versatile horse.
If no one else seriously wants to take it up, I'd be happy to go forward."

Andreas Suborics – Poseidon Adventure – gate 3 – "He'll race from midfield as he can take some time to find his rhythm from the start."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint

Managing owner Paul Radford - Apache Cat – gate 2 – "Maybe three or four would have been even better as he does like some room but trust me I am delighted with barrier two."

Freddy Head - Marchand D'Or - gate 4 - "That is a good draw. I am not worried about the bend and the ground should not be too fast."

Jim Crowley - Moorhouse Lad – gate 1 - "I'd rather be there than out wide. He's quick out of the gate and I'd like to be on the lead if I can."

John Size – Enthused – gate 13 – "That's a disaster. He's in great form and he keeps improving every time he goes to the races but he could have done with better luck with the barrier."

Francis Lui – Sunny Power – gate 12 - "Of course the draw is not ideal. We might go forward from there. He needs to break well."

Caspar Fownes – Green Birdie – gate 5 – "Ideal slot. He'll be able to truck in along behind the speed and let down in the straight with a gap."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile

Tony Cruz - Egyptian Ra - gate 13 - " We were going to go forward anyway, and that's made our mind up for us."

Andreas Schutz – Good Ba Ba - gate 7 – "It's a similar middle gate as when he won last year so he should get a sweet run."

Pascal Bary - Natagora - gate 10 - " I've just arrived this morning, and the filly appears very well. I'm not over concerned about the draw.

Douglas Whyte - Armada - gate 4 - " I was hoping for a low draw, so I'm really chuffed with that. He should get his chance from there, so fingers crossed everything goes well. John [Size, trainer] will have him right, the man's a genius."

Richard Hannon Jr - Major Cadeaux - gate 1 - " He's a hold up horse, so we'll need luck in running, but it's a good place to be."

Yoshito Yahagi - Super Hornet - gate 2 - "As he's got an inside gate, we won't hesitate to push forward, as I don't want him to get trapped on the rail. But I hope he'll still produce his usual late kick."

John Moore - Able One - gate 5 - "He should be able to get a good position from there. He's an international Gr.1 winner, so this holds no fears for him."

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Cup

Mike De Kock - Eagle Mountain - gate 5 - "Happy with that, it's a good slot, but he's a versatile horse anyway. He's as fit as a fiddle and as good as I've ever had him."

Carlos Laffon-Parias - Balius - gate 13 - "Not worried, he's not going to be on the lead anyway."

Jim Bolger - Lush Lashes - gate 10- " It's not ideal, but I'll go there with no pre-conceived ideas. There's no point in having a fixed plan. We'll leave it to Kevin [Manning, jockey]"

John Moore - Viva Pataca – gate 6 "It's an ideal gate which leaves lots of options for Darren [Beadman, jockey]. We've got the favourite [Eagle Mountain] drawn inside us, which is also a plus. I've never had him better – third time lucky, I hope."

Olivier Peslier - Artiste Royal - gate 2 - " It's a good draw and a nice ride to pick up. I rode this horse to win when he was in France and I won on his mother too."
Time to go shopping, Dr. Dino's draw is not good. Last year he got a great draw 4 or 6 and that made a world of difference. I watched the replay of last year's race this morning and thought Quijano my pick in that race could have won if the post positions were reversed. What do you think of Armada? I think he was a horse with alot of promise last yr, I'll have to dig deeper in the past p's but I think he may be possible.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Time to go shopping, Dr. Dino's draw is not good. Last year he got a great draw 4 or 6 and that made a world of difference. I watched the replay of last year's race this morning and thought Quijano my pick in that race could have won if the post positions were reversed. What do you think of Armada? I think he was a horse with alot of promise last yr, I'll have to dig deeper in the past p's but I think he may be possible.
My problem, with the Mile (okay with all 4 ) is I'm way too much a fan of too many... huge Armada (and Ba Ba) fan and they both have a terrific chance but I'd suggest checking out EGYPTIAN RA who is sneaky good and getting better and better. Hope that Nat does well and I think I'd be a little afraid to leave out Pressing. No shot for Kip.

Not sure about the Vase yet BUT I think Jackpot Delight will be in the mix. God i hope so!

Nice horse...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Saratoga

HKJC...

This morning JACKPOT DELIGHT, a declared runner in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase (Group One), 2400 Metres, was at the direction of the Stewards examined by Dr B D Stewart, Head of Veterinary Regulation & International Liaison, at the stable of Trainer C Fownes. On Tuesday 9 December 2008, Mr Fownes advised the Stewards that JACKPOT DELIGHT was sore in its right front foot after it had galloped on the previous morning and was being attended to by the farrier. Mr Fownes said the gallop of JACKPOT DELIGHT on Monday morning was the last scheduled fast work for the horse in preparation for this race and that JACKPOT DELIGHT had not missed any gallops in the lead up to Sunday's race due to injury. He did say JACKPOT DELIGHT would be restricted to swimming in place of slow track work in the days following the soreness developing.

Dr Stewart advised the Stewards that on examination he noted JACKPOT DELIGHT continued to be sore in its right front foot due to bruising. He did say the horse was continuing to be attended to by the stable's Clinical Veterinary Surgeon and farrier.

JACKPOT DELIGHT will be subjected to a further veterinary inspection on the morning of Saturday 13 December 2008.

Dr C M Riggs, Head of Veterinary Clinical Services, has this morning advised the Stewards the following horses, which are declared runners in the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Race Meeting to be held at Sha Tin this Sunday 14 December 2008, have shown mild signs of stress from travelling to Hong Kong:-

AWESOME GEM - The Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Mile

MOORHOUSE LAD - The Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint

ABBADJINN - The Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Sprint

Dr Riggs said all these horses appear well in themselves and will continue to be monitored in the lead up to their respective races. He said at this stage he is of the opinion all three horses are suitable to race.