Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_
Well done Kingsgate Native.
Wasn't expecting that at all but yeah, nice win.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Santa Anita

power went in the last furlong, thought War Artist was gonna win it :-(

came back and saw Kingsgate Native..

Seachange was 12th i think (draw probably didnt help in hindsight!!)

#Grand
Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Santa Anita

Yeah great run by War Artist.

Seachange will get one more chance to prove herself to you lot in the Falmouth.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Yeah great run by War Artist.

Seachange will get one more chance to prove herself to you lot in the Falmouth.
Oh good, thought they had said retirement!

Very nice run by War Artist.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Saratoga

Outta here but good luck to Abraham Lincoln, Young Mick (who has no chance but so what ), Balkan Knight and Distinction.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Santa Anita

yeah shocking tough race, but backed Beaver Patrol and Prime Defender each way..

#Grand
Old 06-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Santa Anita

damn it Beaver 2nd, the rejuvenated Big Timer wins, high draw has the upper hand,, Ascot can be very confusing..

#Grand
Old 06-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
damn it Beaver 2nd, the rejuvenated Big Timer wins, high draw has the upper hand,, Ascot can be very confusing..
Shocker!

Good for Distinction coming in 2nd (to Honolulu).

Good boy.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 AM
The Curragh

Anyone know anything about Takeover target, was he okay after the race yesterday? He stopped very quickly in the closing stages and if I didn't know any better, I'd say he probably burst a blood vessel. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything. Hope that isn't the case, but for the old war horse, he did stop very quickly after he looked certain to finish 3rd.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Kingsgate Native just might be my favorite horse in training. As a 2yo, he more than held his own against grade one older horses last year and this win here came after just running three days ago. I love him and his connections. People with heart.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-22-2008, 08:09 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Kingsgate Native just might be my favorite horse in training. As a 2yo, he more than held his own against grade one older horses last year and this win here came after just running three days ago. I love him and his connections. People with heart.
It was a very shrewd move for Cheveley Park to get the breeding rights for him when he retires. He is going to be worth a huge amount as a stallion as long as he doesn't shoot blanks.

They already have a superstar stallion in Pivotal, and he could easily be another one in a few years.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Saratoga

I really hate this headline.

On Soldier's Tale, from Racing post...

Soldier's Tale in box as he succumbs to bug in yard

Soldier's Tale: the seven-year-old may now be retired to stud in Victoria

Rodney Masters and Tony Elves

WITH Jeremy Noseda's stable currently under a cloud, the trainer decided not to run star sprinter Soldier's Tale in Saturday's Golden Jubilee Stakes, and the seven-year-old may now be retired to stud in Victoria, where he is already being advertised as being “so tough he could be Australian”.

Soldier's Tale won the Golden Jubilee last season but on Saturday morning Noseda decided to pull him out of the Group 1.

He said:“We had a little bug going around the yard at the end of last week and, as they say, we will have to have a time out because things aren't exactly as they should be.”

He added: “We will gather ourselves together and give them ten to 14 days off and have them back flying from mid-July onwards. We have a few horses with a few issues at the moment, and I'm just not quite happy with Soldier's Tale.”
Last month Adam Sangster, son of the late Robert Sangster, completed a deal to buy Soldier's Tale from owner-breeder Syd Belzberg, who heads the car-rental company Budget. The horse will take up stallion duties later this year at the Sangster family's Swettenham Stud at Nagambie in Victoria.

Asked if the horse will race again before leaving for Australia, Noseda added: “Probably not, but there is just a chance he'll run in the July Cup if everything came right. It would be fabulous to let him show people once more what he's capable of. But if he doesn't run again, I've no complaints because he has been a terrific horse, a brave horse, and such a great servant to the yard.”

Limited to eight starts, Soldier's Tale almost died after surgery to a leg. He also suffered a pelvic fracture and two bouts of colic.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:52 PM
The Curragh

His horses are really struggling, mmsc. They took a chance with Himalya at the start of the week and they were disappointed with him finishing fourth in the Coventry, which shows how highly they regard this 2yo.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Santa Anita

Seachange's connections are blaming the track.
Quote:
Rider Ted Durcan, not one to make excuses, blamed the track in part.

Durcan said that after five consecutive days racing at Ascot the surface was chopped up, conditions that have never suited Seachange.

Only a small amount of the forecast rain arrived before the Golden Jubilee.

The commentators on the At The Races feed that New Zealand received made the point that the rain only settled the dust, but you could clearly see clods being thrown back during the Golden Jubilee.

"It was only the top two inches, but it meant you couldn't get a grip," said Durcan. "She was okay while I had hold of her, but when I let her head down she couldn't grip the footing."

Seachange was right behind the pace until the 300m, but when the pressure went on and Durcan had to start riding her along she lost ground on the leaders.

Durcan told Karreman, Williams and caretaker trainer Graeme Sanders that he'd looked after Seachange and that his strong advice was to go forward to the Newmarket meeting.

Sanders said another probable factor was the barrier draw.

Seachange came out of gate No 16, on what is called the far side in Europe and which we call the inside running rail. In the straight course races the winners practically all week at Ascot had been coming down the grandstand side, or outside running rail.

In reverse of the case in Australasia, barrier numbers start from the outside of the track.

The first four, Kingsgate Native, War Artist, Sir Jerry and Takeover Target came from gates 1, 2, 3, 4, which is too significant to be mere coincidence.
Do you think they have a point, or are they just being bad losers?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Randwyck

Quote:

I think they are just evaluating why there horse ran the way it did.
Trainers will use everything under the sun why there horse never won sometimes they are correct other times you look at the race & wonder what the hell they are watching,The only thing that you will never hear a trainer say is "well I trained that horse like **** ", My worst hate is when they blame the jock things happen & sometimes the horse is just not up to standard but i do believe seachange is a far better horse in the dry
Old 06-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_idol
I think they are just evaluating why there horse ran the way it did.
Trainers will use everything under the sun why there horse never won sometimes they are correct other times you look at the race & wonder what the hell they are watching,The only thing that you will never hear a trainer say is "well I trained that horse like **** ", My worst hate is when they blame the jock things happen & sometimes the horse is just not up to standard but i do believe seachange is a far better horse in the dry
I think that mare is a tough nut. She'll redeem herself in the falmouth if they go.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:

ed, the draw certainly wasnt great, just to add that us ranger who was 5th was also drawn 5, and ted did nurse her when her chance had gone. . if she goes for the falmouth, it'll prob be a field of 10 or less, she always breaks so well, that ted will be able to dictate things from the front and kick on when he is comfortable. Plus, we'll get much better odds on her..

#Grand