Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator
Oh. I guess you mean cause he's raced in the US and has an American trainer?

Unless he's officially changed his citizenship, I still don't buy it!
I can understand that sentiment but it's like do you consider Silent Witness a HK horse.....
Old 01-20-2008, 02:42 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
I can understand that sentiment but it's like do you consider Silent Witness a HK horse.....
Are you saying he won run in Canada anymore? Is he officially based in the US now?

I always considered SW an Australian horse racing in HK and Japan.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Saratoga

I guess it's an easy mistake for someone in the UAE to assume he's an American horse.

That's all I'm saying.

I know he's Canadian.....
Old 01-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Are you saying he won run in Canada anymore? Is he officially based in the US now?

I always considered SW an Australian horse racing in HK and Japan.

Sorry my fav Miss ,I have to agree with E & say i concider where the horse is foaled as to be what Nat it is.
Except of course Might & Power & Sunline as Everyone knows They are Aussie Horses
Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_idol
Sorry my fav Miss ,I have to agree with E & say i concider where the horse is foaled as to be what Nat it is.
Except of course Might & Power & Sunline as Everyone knows They are Aussie Horses
Don't be sorry, Magic man..... I can understand that!

If i read that Salaam Dubai or Thajja are running at Nad Al Sheba, i don't think twice about where they're from..... to me they're UAE kids and my only point is that whoever wrote the piece made an assumption.

We all know horsies from where you're from rule. Why do you think HK is so great?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
I guess it's an easy mistake for someone in the UAE to assume he's an American horse.

That's all I'm saying.

I know he's Canadian but i guess it's an easy assumption.
Oh. I see. But now that I think of it he didn't run much up in Canada. The classics sure, but not much else that I can recall. Not trying to badger you, just trying to understand. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Sam Houston

Sorry, I've also been a little choked to see Manduro as a French horse so much lately.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Sorry, I've also been a little choked to see Manduro as a French horse so much lately.
Where was he from?
Old 01-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Where was he from?
Bred in Germany by Monsun.

Question. Does any one know if he was the first German bred to have the highest rating of the year?
Old 01-20-2008, 05:50 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Bred in Germany by Monsun.

Question. Does any one know if he was the first German bred to have the highest rating of the year?
I can imagine he probably is.

I know what you're all saying about where a horse is 'from'. It's a difficult argument. Over here we have plenty of horses bred in America, but if they happened to go back to America and race (for the English trainer), I know I'd refer to the horse as being an English horse.

Both ways work, I suppose.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Santa Anita

cant wait to see Seachange race in Dubai.. She is a class horse.. Can she do what Sunline failed to do??

#Grand
Old 01-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
I can imagine he probably is.

I know what you're all saying about where a horse is 'from'. It's a difficult argument. Over here we have plenty of horses bred in America, but if they happened to go back to America and race (for the English trainer), I know I'd refer to the horse as being an English horse.

Both ways work, I suppose.
Not sure I buy that. If Secretariat was sold at age 4 and moved to France, raced there and came back to the US in the same year, can you imagine him being called a French horse? That would be cause for a riot with hardcore hr fans. The most I can see would be "French-owned and/or trained" imo
Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Not sure I buy that. If Secretariat was sold at age 4 and moved to France, raced there and came back to the US in the same year, can you imagine him being called a French horse? That would be cause for a riot with hardcore hr fans. The most I can see would be "French-owned and/or trained" imo
I didn't mean at that sort of age. I was referring to the American bred horses who are sold as yearlings to race in Europe and then go back to America to run a big race (say at the Breeders' Cup). To me (and most people) they are referred to as the European challengers, despite which country they were born.

If a horse has run previously in America and then is sold to race in a different country, that changes things.

It's a difficult argument.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 AM
The Curragh

It's the same with Bullish Luck, I know almost everyone would call him a Hong Kong horse.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM
The Curragh

From Racing Post......

Argentina's World Cup hope Latency arrives in UAE

by Nicholas Godfrey

ARGENTINA's Dubai World Cup hope Latency has arrived in the UAE after an arduous journey from Buenos Aires.

The seven-time Grade 1 winner is set to run in the third round of the Maktoum Challenge on the Super Thursday card on March 6 as a prep racefor the world's richest race, for which he is a 25-1 chance.

Latency's trip to Dubai included stops in Paris (for four days) and two long flights, with the first (Buenos Aires – Sao Paulo – Paris) taking 20 hours and the shortest one (Paris – Dubai) taking ten hours.

Owner Nicolas Fernandez Aramburu said: “His personal veterinarian reported to us that he never showed any signs of fatigue nor did he stop eating regularly, just as if he were in our yard at San Isidro.

“Latency carries the hopes ofa nation, and we hope he can become a legend for us in Dubai.”
Dubai officials have acted quickly to prevent red tape scuppering New Zealand star Seachange's visit to the Dubai carnival.

According to the NZ Herald , the mare's owners were shocked to discover that Dubai has no protocol for visiting horses from New Zealand, which meant the horse could not travel directly to the carnival from the country.

The usual alternative of shipping from Australia is also out of bounds owing to equine influenza.

However, according to Dubai official Martin Talty, there won't be any problem. ”She is booked on a flight on February 17,” he said. “There was a problem with import/export but it is sorted out now,”

Seachange landed her latest Group 1 win in Saturday's Telegraph Handicap, despite the race being run over an inadequate-looking 6f trip.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Saratoga

Benny to the Golden Shaheen, Awesome Gem now possible for the World Cup instead of the Godolphin Mile.....
Old 02-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Saratoga

Hong Kong Raiders..... Bullish Luck *, Bullish Cash, Tiger Prawn.

Spring at Last now possible for the Cup instead, Monterey Jazz possible for the Godolphin Mile.

* Very mixed feelings about this.....
Old 02-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Saratoga

UAE.....

Feel better!

Kelly’s Landing has ‘setback,’ racing plans unclear

Although 2007 Dubai Golden Shaheen (Gr.1) winner Kelly’s Landing has been pointed toward a defense of his title as the world’s best sprinter on a straightaway dirt track, trainer Eddie Kenneally has revealed the big gelding is not progressing as hoped.

“He’s had a little setback and will need more time,” Kenneally said when asked about his original intention to give the seven-year-old son of Patton a prep race at Gulfstream Park. Last year, Kelly’s Landing ran twice at Gulfstream, winning the Mr. Prospector Handicap (Gr.3), before his Dubai Golden Shaheen victory under Frankie Dettori.

Kelly’s Landing’s most recent timed workout was on December 30, and Kenneally did not give any indication as to when he might resume serious training and be ready to race again.

Following his Dubai performance, Kelly’s Landing has competed only once more, a fifth-placed effort over a sloppy Monmouth Park track in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint (Gr.1). Owned by Summerplace Farm, Kelly’s Landing has won nine of 22 starts and has earned US$1,805,557.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Saratoga

For Ms. Gallant.....

UAE...

Brittain’s DWC Kandidate reappears

Respected British trainer Clive Brittain, who has a fine record in the UAE, unleashes Carnival regular and Dubai World Cup hope Kandidate (pictured) at Nad Al Sheba on Thursday.

The globe-trotting six-year-old will seek to take the route he took into the Dubai World Cup last year, when he triumphed in Round two of the Maktoum Challenge – the showpiece race on Thursday’s card, sponsored by Shadwell Farm.

On that occasion the son of Kabool displayed a front running masterclass to romp home and take the Group 2 honours 5 ¾ lengths ahead of Mullins Bay, and Brittain would love to witness a repeat this time out.

"We hope to be able to emulate what he did last year," said the Newmarket-based handler.

"The plan is to get him invited to run in the Dubai World Cup again but it obviously depends on his performance in the Maktoum Challenge. We hope to take our chance, but realize the Carnival is getting tougher each year.

"We felt that in last year’s World Cup when he broke he stumbled and that hampered him from the off. I’m not saying that he would have won but he would have been a lot closer to the fourth placed horse Vermilion." Kandidate finished the race, won by Invasor, in sixth.

Outlining Kandidate’s smooth preparation at Nad Al Sheba this time around Brittain added: "He’s settled in very well in Dubai. His weight is good and he’s been eating very well, so everything looks as though it’s going to plan.”

Kandidate is one of the most experienced horses in Carnival history, having competed in the past three editions.

The 73-year-old Brittain added: "He’s got a lot of air miles on the clock now and we know that whenever he travels abroad he will run up to a certain mark.

"Dubai suits him, he’s used to it there now. He’s won there the past two years and we’re looking for the hat-trick now.”

The veteran trainer also hopes to be double handed in Friday’s feature, the UAE 1000 Guineas for which he has Albabilia and Love Of Dubai.

The latter was sixth in a conditions race behind Godolphin’s Fiesta Lady on the first night of the Carnival, while Albabilia won the Group 3 Sweet Solera Stakes before finishing fourth in the Group 1 Moyglare Stakes on The Curragh.

Brittain explains: “It was very wet when they arrived so Love Of Dubai probably needed that run quite badly. Albabilia is a lovely filly and the plan is to run both at the moment.”

Curlin.....

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...754#post315754

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 02-04-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Saratoga

Well Armed, Floral Peg.....