Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Saratoga

Racing Post.....

Lang Field bids to book Dubai trip

by Graham Green

LANG FIELD, winner of the Grade 1 Citation Handicap last time out for British owner Nigel Shields, could earn himself a trip to Dubai with another bold showing on Sunday in California.

Claimed for $30,000 at Churchill Downs in 2006, the four-year-old geld is now trained by Art Sherman, who saddles him in a strong renewal of the $150,000 San Gabriel .

“He is older and starting to relax,” said Sherman. “Before, he wanted to stampede to the lead.”

Rivals include fellow Grade 1 scorer Daytona – the Hollywood Derby winner formerly trained in Britain by Mark Johnston – plus Del Mar Derby winner Medici Code and Storm Military, who could be the best of them all. The mount of Garrett Gomez, he won two Group 1 races in Argentina before joining Bobby Frankel and has already finished in front of Lang Field elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Saratoga

Fiesta Lady (winner, G2 Clasico Francisco J. Beazley and the G1 Gran Premio Seleccion (Argentine Oaks) and My Indy (winner, G2 Clasico Coronel Miguel F. Martinez).
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Saratoga

Ms. Daiwa Scarlet, Diva.....
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Saratoga

Cafe Silver, winner of the Gran Premio Nacional (Uruguayan Derby) and 2nd in both the Gran Premio Polla de Potrillos and Gran Premio Jockey Club (the first two legs of the Uruguayan Triple Crown) and possibly Rock Ascot (Gran Premio Internacional Jose Pedro Ramirez), Super Cat, Pedra de Ouro, Bain Douche and Italian Friend.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Saratoga

Cafe Silver replay (thanks, The Bid) here.....

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...ht=cafe+silver

Gotodubai...

Please put this one on the list.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Saratoga

Viva Macau.....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:16 PM
Saratoga

Majestic Roi, Siberian Tiger and Championship Point.....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
majestic roi u are really grasping, aren't you? i wouldn't even pretend to say i know anything about these races but i know enuf to know u are not betting these ponies
I never said i was betting them... I'm just updating the list of possibles.

As far as MR, the only thing i really know about her was that she shocked the hell outta me when she won the Sun Chariot in October. I mean she beat Echelon, Wake Up maggie, Simply Perfect, Nannina, Speciosa... it was a tough crowd but that's pretty much all I know about her.

edit - Oh okay, your post was confusing... didn't notice the 'except for".

All I know about Siberian Tiger is he's with Channon and Championship Point had a couple of really nice wins over the summer, beating some decent fields.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 01-11-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Saratoga

ERA.....

South American superstar to grace DIRC
(no author listed)

South American superstar Latency has been revealed as an exciting new addition to the US$31 million Dubai International Racing Carnival, which gets underway on Thursday.

The top-class Southern Hemisphere six-year-old is due to leave Buenos Aires on Tuesday and arrive in Dubai on Saturday, a journey which connections hope will culminate with a crack at the US$6million Dubai World Cup, sponsored by Emirates Airline.

The son of Slew Gin Fizz and considered one of Argentina’s great thoroughbreds of recent times, arrives in Dubai off an extraordinary three-length victory in South America’s prestigious Gran Premio Internacional Carlos Pellegrini in December.

His victory in the signature event, marked his seventh Group 1 win and 10th overall in 22 career starts for owner Stud El Bobo, property of cardio surgeon Dardo Fernandez Aramburu and family.

Nicolas Fernandez Aramburu, son of Dardo, said: “It is a great adventure to take him to Dubai, and he will be accompanied by all of our team, to ensure he is in the best of form, and Julio Cesar Mendez will ride him as normal.

“The Dubai World Cup field is definitely top-class, and with horses like Curlin, Daaher, Student Council, Awesome Gem, Asiatic Boy, Vermilion, Ramonti and Premium Tap, it’s going to be a mouthwatering prospect taking them all on.

“For me, the meaning of Latency winning the Dubai World Cup translates into experiencing heaven while being alive. To our family there are really no words that can describe what we feel for him.”

Latency will bid to extend South America’s emergence on the world racing scene when he attempts to become the second straight South American-bred thoroughbred to capture the 2000-metre showpiece after Invasor’s sensational victory in last year’s event.

Winner of two Carlos Pellegrini Awards as 2005-06 Champion Miler and Best Older Horse in Argentina, Latency’s other major victories include winning South America’s ‘06 Gran Premio Asociacion Latinoamericana de Jockey Clubes at Maroñas in Uruguay and the ‘05 Gran Premio Estrellas Classic, Argentina’s equivalent of the Breeders’ Cup Classic at San Isidro.

Three of Latency’s Group 1 scores have come on the dirt, with one of his top victories coming at the Dubai World Cup distance of 2000 metres.

He is due to have a prep race first, possibly in the Group 2 US$300,000 Maktoum Challenge Round 3 on Super Thursday on March 6.

In other news from South America, Uruguayan Derby hero Café Silver has been purchased by the Maktoum Family to race at the Dubai International Racing Carnival.

The exciting South American purchase is to be aimed at major races for three-year-olds in Dubai, including the 2008 UAE Derby on March 29 at Nad Al Sheba racecourse.

A most impressive 10 ¼-length winner of his debut, Café Silver was last year among the top-rated juvenile colts in Uruguay - the native land of 2007 Dubai World Cup winner Invasor.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by merasmag
lol...and i thank you 4 your time

No problem.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:19 PM
Saratoga

Racing Post.....

Ramonti set to miss World Cup in favour of Duty Free

by Jason Ford

RAMONTI looks set to bypass the Dubai World Cup and instead have a crack at the Dubai Duty Free – with Champion Stakes winner Literato stepping into the breach for Godolphin in the world's richest race.

Stressing that plans are likely to change over the course of the Dubai carnival, which starts on Thursday at Nad Al Sheba, Godolphin racing manager Simon Crisford outlined possible targets on World Cup night for Sheikh Mohammed's ultra-powerful squad.

Ramonti was Godolphin's standard-bearer in 2007 with four Group 1 wins and after the six-year-old stepped up to 1m2f to win the Hong Kong Cup in December, a switch to the sand for the $6 million World Cup on March 29 was mooted. However, that appears no longer the first-choice option.

“Ramonti is entered in the Dubai World Cup, Dubai Duty Free and Godolphin Mile,” said Crisford. “We will wait and see how he trains over the winter before a decision is made, but it seems likely that the Duty Free is the more likely race for him. He has come out of his Hong Kong race well and is in light training at Al Quoz right now.”

Literato, who joined Godolphin after winning the Champion Stakes from Dubai-bound Eagle Mountain, may now be aimed at the World Cup.

Trainer Saeed Bin Suroor said: “Depending on how he settles in and trains, we could consider the Electrocutionist route and aim for the World Cup via the third round of the Maktoum Challenge. But we have a long time to think about it.”
Other likely Godolphin stars include Arc third Sagara, for whom the Sheema Classic is a likely target, and the former US-trained Etched, who will be aimed at the UAE Derby.

Uruguayan Derby winner Cafe Silver, another new Godolphin inmate, could also be
aimed at the latter race.

Latency, a seven time Group 1 winner in South America, will represent Argentina in the World Cup.

Owner Nicolas Fernandez Aramburu said: “It is a great adventure to take him to Dubai, and he will be accompanied by all of our team to ensure he is in the best of form.”

A likely absentee from Dubai is the Cox Plate winner El Segundo, who could be sidelined for a year after sustaining an injury.

Trainer Colin Little, who fears that Australia's top weight-for-age performer may have injured a tendon, is awaiting the results of a scan. El Segundo was being primed for a crack at the Dubai Duty Free.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:27 PM
The Curragh

I'm glad that Ramonti isn't going for the World Cup, because I don't think he would have liked the dirt..... BUT I don't think Literato will, either.

I know Godolphin's connections mean that they really should have a runner in the race, but it seems to me like they are just too desperate to have a runner this year when they don't have a horse who will really be suited to the race.

I like both horses, a lot and I don't want to see them become unhappy with racing after being made to run on a surface, which probably wouldn't suit either of them.

Both are Gr1 performers, and have the class, but I'd prefer them both to bypass the DWC really.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Saratoga

Matsurida Gogh, winner of the Arima Kinen, to the Sheema Classic.....
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Saratoga

Foxsports.com/au...

Finland to broaden horizons
By Adrian Dunn

January 18, 2008 CHAMPION mare Miss Finland, scheduled to resume in the $500,000 Lightning Stakes at Flemington on February 2, is a surprise entry for the Dubai World Cup meeting.

The surprise is not that Miss Finland would be nominated for the world's richest meeting, but the fact that she has been nominated for the Golden Shaheen.

The 1200m Group 1 race is run on dirt.

Owner John Messara said the entry was to cover all bases, but added Miss Finland was more likely to go to the US if she ventured overseas.

Messara said trainer David Hayes had identified several Group 1 races, restricted to mares, over 1600m and on grass, during his trip to the US with Anamato last year.

He said the races were in June to July.

"If she puts it together, we'll head to the States," Messara said. "David noticed a number of races around the mile that would really suit her.

"We would take her and put her up against the best mares in the States on grass. It would fit in quite well with her program."

While Miss Finland is a $9 second favourite for the 2000m Australian Cup, Messara said she would be kept to races up to 1600m this preparation.

Messara said Miss Finland would resume in the 1000m Lightning if she continued to be sharp in her work.

He said the four-year-old would then run second-up in the $1 million Newmarket Handicap (1200m) at Flemington on March 8.

"The idea this campaign is to stick around the mile where she is very dominant," Messara said.

"We're aiming towards the mile races, and a race like the George Ryder in the Sydney carnival would be ideal.

"I think she would go very well. She's come back well and I know the stable is quite happy with her.

"Hopefully, we will see the best of her again this preparation."

Miss Finland is unbeaten at her past three starts at 1600m: the Cadbury Guineas, the Angus Armanasco Stakes and the Thousand Guineas.

She has also won two of her past three runs at 1400m -- the Memsie Stakes and Tranquil Star Stakes.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Saratoga

ERA...

Grade 1 winner Johnny Eves may be Dubai bound

Johnny Eves, a Grade 1 winner who has strung three impressive efforts together in his most recent starts, has been named a candidate for the US$2 million Dubai Golden Shaheen (Gr.1) or the $1 million Godolphin Mile (Gr.2).

Trainer Jay Robbins said he would like to take the four-year-old gelded son of Skimming to Dubai in search of victory in one of the rich races. First, however, he has penciled in the $150,000 San Carlos Stakes (Gr.2) over seven furlongs at Santa Anita Park on February 16.

Johnny Eves scored the biggest win of his career in his very first start in graded company, taking the Malibu Stakes (Gr.1) over a strong field of 13 rivals, including previously unbeaten Divine Park, on December 26 at Santa Anita. His time for the seven furlongs was 1:21.08.

Less than three weeks later, Johnny Eves ran a determined race to finish second by a nose to Air Commander in the 1 1/16-mile San Fernando Stakes (Gr.2) after fighting back from the rail when passed in the stretch.

In November, Johnny Eves set a Hollywood Park track record when he won a 6 ½-furlong allowance in 1:14.03 for owner and breeder Mooncoin LLC. Overall, the gelding has won five of 11 starts, placed three times and earned $364,720.

In other American racing news, probable Horse of the Year Curlin worked on Friday for the third time following his victory in the Breeders’ Cup Classic (Gr.1), breezing five furlongs in an easy 1:04 at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans for trainer Steve Asmussen.

Although legal issues surrounding the minority owners of the four-year-old son of Smart Strike have not been resolved and whether he will race in 2008 is still not clear, Asmussen has said the Dubai World Cup (Gr.1) is the logical target for Curlin.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:40 AM
Saratoga

Assorted stuff from the UAE.....

Student Council, Daaher could clash before World Cup

Two of the top American contenders for the Dubai World Cup (Gr.1) turned in impressive workouts on Saturday on opposites coasts, with Daaher firing a five-furlong bullet in Florida and Student Council drilling a mile in California.

Although the two Grade 1 winners had appeared to be on different paths to the United Arab Emirates, it now appears possible that they might meet before the Dubai World Cup.

Vladimir Cerin, who trains Student Council for Millennium Farms, said he will consider either the San Antonio Handicap (Gr.2) on February 3 at Santa Anita Park or the Donn Handicap (Gr.1) on February 2 at Gulfstream Park for the six-year-old son of Kingmambo. Both races are conducted at 1 1/8 miles.

The Donn already has been selected by trainer Kiaran McLaughlin as the next start for Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid al Maktoum’s Daaher, a four-year-old son of Awesome Again. Sheikh Hamdan and McLaughlin sent Invasor to a Donn triumph last year prior to their win in the Dubai World Cup.

Other possible Dubai World Cup candidates also have been mentioned for the Donn by their trainers. Steve Asmussen has said he plans to nominate Breeders’ Cup Classic (Gr.1) winner Curlin to the Donn prior to a possible trip to Dubai and Todd Pletcher said he was pointing both Grade 2 winner A. P. Arrow and Grade 3 winner Fairbanks to the Donn after nominating both to the Dubai World Cup.

Meanwhile, Student Council completed his one-mile workout in 1:38 on the Cushion Track at Santa Anita.

“I’m very happy with it,” Cerin said of the move.

Several hours earlier, Daaher traveled five furlongs in :59.80, fastest of 23 workers at the distance at Palm Meadows Training Center.

Champion Kiwi Seachange steering for Dubai

Champion New Zealand mare Seachange ran a near world-record time for 1200-metres when claiming her sixth Group One win in the Telegraph Handicap at Trentham in Wellington.

Her prime target now is the $US5 million Dubai Duty Free (1777m) in the United Arab Emirates on March 29, according to www.racingandsports.com.au.

Jockey Gavin McKeon had an easy explanation for the five-year-old's scintillating time of 1:06.66.

"She's a champion," he said.

Seachange burst clear of her rivals in the straight on a lightning-fast track to score by 3-1/2 lengths and post a time little more than a tenth of a second outside the world mark of 1:06.51 set by Bawalaksana in the same race in 1999.

The 1200m dogleg course at Trentham is the fastest in New Zealand. It is slightly downhill and today's race was wind assisted.

Seachange, having her first start for 12 weeks today, started $2.40 favourite and from the number three draw ended up with a perfect run, trailing leader Clifton Prince.

McKeon bided his time until well into the home straight before asking her to lengthen stride.

"Then I let her go and she just exploded away," he said.

Seachange quickly put the issue beyond doubt as she burst clear of the others and was being eased down at the finish.

Some rival trainers said Seachange was leniently treated with 58.5kg topweight but McKeon said the form the horse was in today it would not have mattered if she had four-kilos more.

"There were those that were complaining that 58-1/2 wasn't much. Well, she could have carried 62-1/2 and it wouldn't have mattered. She was just far too good for them."

Seachange's record is now 23 starts for 13 wins, four seconds and two thirds. Today's winning purse of $NZ150,000 took her earnings to $NZ1.44 million.

It was her sixth win at Group One level following the One Thousand Guineas and two wins in both the Mudgway Stakes and Stoney Bridge Stakes at the last two Hawke's Bay spring meetings.

The Cape Cross five-year-old mare is owned in Queensland by Dick Karreman who was overwhelmed by today's win.

"It's an incredible feeling to be the owner of a horse like this," Karreman said after the race.

"Words cannot really describe how one feels with a horse like Seachange."

Seachange's next race will be the Group One $NZ200,000 weight-for-age Waikato Sprint (1400m) at Te Rapa, Hamilton, on February 9.

She could also take in the Group One Otaki Weight-For-Age over the same distance for the same money at Otaki, north of Wellington, on February 22 but could bypass that for an international campaign.

All going well, Seachange could then head to England for two major sprints before being retired to stud next spring.

Second in the Telegraph today was Kay's Awake who ran on well from the rear while third was Maximum Star who was handy in the running.

Champs Elysees strolls in Santa Anita stakes

Juddmonte Farms’ superbly bred Champs Elysees, a full brother to two champions, scored the most significant win of his career to date when landing the US$150,000 San Marcos Stakes (Gr.2) on the firm turf course at Santa Anita Park on Saturday.

Reserved at the rear of the six-horse field through a mile as Ramazutti set the pace, Champs Elysees accelerated four wide coming out of the far turn and drew away after feeling a slap from Garrett Gomez’s whip to win by 1 ¼ lengths over Rocket Legs. Obrigado, who competed in the 2007 Dubai Sheema Classic (Gr.1), finished third.

Trainer Bobby Frankel indicated after the victory that Champs Elysees is best suited to longer distances than the 1 ¼ miles of the San Marcos, which he covered in 2:00.88. Thus, he could become a candidate for this year’s Dubai Sheema Classic at 2,400 meters, although Frankel was not ready to commit to a future agenda.

“I thought he ran well,” Frankel said of the five-year-old British-bred by Danehill out of the outstanding broodmare Hasili, who also produced his full sister champions Banks Hill and Intercontinental. “The pace was slow and he had to come wide, but he finished good.”

“He’s a true professional,” praised Gomez.

Champs Elysees began his career in Europe with trainer Andre Fabre and last year won the 2,400-meter Prix d’Hedouville (Gr.3) at Longchamp and finished second in the 2,800-meter Prix Maurice de Nieuil (Gr.2) over the same course.

The San Marcos marked Champs Elysees’ second start in the United States, following a troubled runner-up effort to Sunriver in the Hollywood Turf Cup Stakes (Gr.1) on December 8.

Also a full brother to multiple Grade 1 winner Cacique and Group 2 winner and sire Dansili and a half brother to multiple Grade 1 winner Heat Haze, Champs Elysees has won three of 13 starts and placed eight times while earning $400,647.

Juddmonte and Frankel have previously sent horses to run on the Dubai World Cup (Gr.1) program, including Aptitude and Public Purse, who both competed in the world’s richest race.

The San Marcos has been a springboard for other horses on their way to compete in Dubai World Cup program turf races. The Tin Man won the 2006 edition of the San Marcos before finishing a gallant second in the Dubai Duty Free (Gr.1).

Asiatic Boy makes surprise return on Thursday

Asiatic Boy, winner of the UAE Triple Crown last year, will make his 2008 return in the Group 3 Al Shindagha Sprint, the six-furlong dirt feature at next week’s second meeting of the 2008 Dubai International Racing Carnival.

The winner of all four of his UAE races last season, culminating in the UAE Derby in March, his main target this year is the world’s richest horse race, the $6million Dubai World Cup and his campaign is set to start this week.

Speaking on Dubai Eye, De Kock explained: “The plan is, all being well, to run him in the Al Shindagha Sprint next Thursday. Like the Australians, we South Africans often bring horses back in sprints even though they are better over further.

“He is naturally very talented and has a lot of pace so we think he will be very competitive, even over the shorter trip. The Word Cup is his target and a long way off.

“We will see how he gets on Thursday and then probably look at one of the rounds of the Maktoum Challenge.”
Old 01-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Assorted stuff from the UAE.....

Student Council, Daaher could clash before World Cup

Two of the top American contenders for the Dubai World Cup (Gr.1) turned in impressive workouts on Saturday on opposites coasts, with Daaher firing a five-furlong bullet in Florida and Student Council drilling a mile in California.
Wow! I had no idea Daaher was an American horse.

Oh wait.

He's not.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exterminator
Wow! I had no idea Daaher was an American horse.

Oh wait.

He's not.
Welcome to the forum and yeah, you're right, but keep in mind they said American "contender".
Old 01-20-2008, 02:00 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Welcome to the forum and yeah, you're right, but keep in mind they said American "contender".
Thank you someone's Miss Storm Cat, glad to be here.

I'm sorry. Not sure I understand the difference.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 AM
Sam Houston

Oh. I guess you mean cause he's raced in the US and has an American trainer?

Unless he's officially changed his citizenship, I still don't buy it!