Old 10-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Saratoga

Default When will we be seeing.....

Voy Por
Monk
Numbersix
The Listener

Anyone? Thanks.

None of them have been retired... correct?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Voy Por
Monk
Numbersix
The Listener

Anyone? Thanks.

None of them have been retired... correct?
The only one that could have been retired is Monkerhostin, but i can't say for sure.

I'd say we will see them out between now and December sometime as long as none of them got an knocks over the summer.

The good national hunt races start next month really, so you'll start seeing some of the familiar names again by then.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Saratoga

Okay thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Saratoga

Oh!

From Sporting Life!

LISTENER HEADS TO IRELAND

By Nick Robson, PA Sport

Robert Alner has outlined some early-season objectives for his smart chaser The Listener.

The dashing grey won the Lexus Chase last year and was only denied a Grade One double when collared in the final strides by Beef Or Salmon in the Irish Hennessy.

And due to his preference for soft ground, Alner is keen to campaign the eight-year-old in Ireland.

"We are governed by ground conditions and I wouldn't want to run him on anything faster than good," said Alner.

"He can act on good ground OK but both times at Leopardstown it was unbelievably wet and heavy and he just floated across it as if it was good ground, which is quite amazing.

"I'm not big on plans but basically we are having an Irish campaign which will take us until the end of this year and then we will think about Cheltenham and beyond - even what race he runs in there will depend on how we get there and how things have gone.

"We will start off hopefully in about three weeks at Down Royal in the James Nicholson Chase (November 3). After that there is the John Durkan at Punchestown (December 9) and back to Leopardstown for the Lexus (December 28) and the Hennessy (February 9)," he told At The Races.

"The prize money is very good indeed and it goes without saying that they are very hospitable over there, but you couldn't do it with every horse.

"The Listener is quite laid-back and travels well and it has to be a disadvantage to go away from home, but he has proved he can do it without a bother.

"Daryl Jacob will continue to ride him. He will come to ride him next week and he will school once a week until we run him.

"Touch wood we have had no hiccups with him and he came in a lot earlier this year."
Old 10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Saratoga

Not posting this with any pick... that's impossible with Monet (pretty boy ) and Kauto, My Way et al BUT LOOK!!!!!

MONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooray for him not being retired.

(I did think Exoctic Dancer was though.....)

Sunday October 28 2007
Aintree 14:40

Bonusprint.Com Old Roan Steeple Chase (A Limited Handicap)
£50000.00 added, 4yo plus, 2m 4f, Class 1
18 runners
Going: N/A

132/12F- Ashley Brook (IRE) 420 9 - K Bishop
112121- Exotic Dancer (FR) 16 7 - Jonjo O'Neill
0/2056P- Fundamentalist (IRE) 5 9 - N A Twiston-Davies
130/P05- Gold Heart (FR) 325 5 - J J Quinn
32365P- Hi Cloy (IRE) 179 10 - M Hourigan
111111- Kauto Star (FR) 78 7 - P F Nicholls
1122-50 Lankawi 91 5 - P Bowen
2/3646-U Le Volfoni (FR) 183 6 - P F Nicholls
1335-00 Magic Sky (FR) 161 7 - M F Harris
1/16141- Monet's Garden (IRE) 29 9 - N G Richards
3/344R5- Monkerhostin (FR) 3 10 - P J Hobbs
212111- My Way de Solzen (FR) 39 7 - A King
1/11400- Newman Des Plages (FR) 55 6 - Jonjo O'Neill
213P0P- Royal Rosa (FR) 177 8 - J Howard Johnson
61/0563- Supreme Prince (IRE) 7 10 - P J Hobbs
221131- Three Mirrors 13 7 - Ferdy Murphy
2/10102- Too Forward (IRE) 34 11 - C Llewellyn
2P0400- Vodka Bleu (FR) 30 8 - D Pipe
Old 10-22-2007, 12:22 PM
The Curragh

Many will say i'm mad..... and, yes, i am biased this time..... i think Monet's Garden is UNBEATABLE here.

I know it will be tough, but he is a very good horse when he's fresh, he loves Aintree and this trip is right up his street, when it could be on the short side for some of the others.

Kauto is brilliant, but he won't be at his very best for his return to action, but Monet's probably will be.

Monet's is my star, and i will be disappointed if he is beaten, even though he probably will be.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Saratoga

My Way is probably out.....
Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
My Way is probably out.....
He was scared of Monet's

Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
He was scared of Monet's
I actually don't think it's far-fetched at all for Monet to win.....

Hope he and Monk (applause ) do well.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I actually don't think it's far-fetched at all for Monet to win.....
Hope he and Monk (applause ) do well.
Ofcourse it isn't. This is a handicap, remember. Kauto is going to have to carry a huge amount of weight in this race.

I seriously think Monet's will win (very serious face here)!

Old 10-28-2007, 09:50 AM
The Curragh

Monet's wins

Old 11-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Monet's wins
Very nice.

I'm not on here for a day and a half and miss all the news?

Now all I need is Numbersix news.....

Sporting Life.....

CHANCE MONK IN CHARLIE TEST

By Man On The Spot

BETTING BOX
FIXED ODDS
2pts win Monkerhostin in Charlie Hall Chase at best morning price. Goes well fresh, handles any ground and gets weight from main rivals.

Madison Du Berlais: Winner of three handicap chases including a Grade Three event at Newbury in March. Yet to race beyond two miles and five furlongs, and sure to have any stamina limitations exposed here. Having said that he is worth a try at the trip, but has to find significant improvement on all known form to live with the best of these under a penalty. Trainer David Pipe won this race last year with Our Vic.

State Of Play: Showed he goes well fresh when ready winner of the Hennessy last year. Gallant sixth in Cheltenham Gold Cup following that but rounded off last season with a disappointing effort at Aintree behind Exotic Dancer. Leading player on form and ratings, absence not a problem and goes on the ground. Like Madison Du Berlais, has to concede weight to the rest due to a penalty, and that might just anchor him here.

Aces Four: Improved throughout novice season last year and put together three excellent efforts at the end of season festivals. His fourth behind Denman at Cheltenham was bettered when he won at Aintree, and he would have collected at Punchestown too but for a final fence fall. Has yet to win on his reappearance, but did win over hurdles after a three-month break so can go well fresh. Trainer Ferdy Murphy's runners have tended to need their first run so far, and he might just struggle to give five pounds to some talented if frustrating performers.

Turko: Looked useful over two and a half miles as a novice chaser last season, but then disappointed when stepped up in trip on final two starts. He was pulled up behind Aces Four at Aintree last time, and there has to be stamina concerns given they are likely to go at a good clip.

Bewleys Berry: Looks a thorough stayer and was going well in front in the Grand National on his last start before he fell at Bechers. Jumped very well that day and jumping is an asset that is vital at Wetherby - the fourth fence from home is particularly unforgiving. Plenty to find on ratings but trainer Howard Johnson has a good record in the race and this one likes fast ground too, so is not without a chance.

Kingscliff: Hugely talented on his day but is prone to sulk and is not one to trust. Loves a thorough test of stamina and though went well on good ground at the Punchestown Festival in April, would probably prefer easier conditions. Raced prominently in this race twice before when second behind Ollie Magern and when fading to fourth behind Our Vic last year. Could see one or two passing him up the straight again this year.

Monkerhostin: Another with bags of talent but has become difficult to win with since outgrowing handicaps. Much more consistent than the likes of Kingscliff and Ollie Magern though, and has a live form chance given he was fourth in the Gold Cup ahead of the former and State Of Play. Goes on all types of ground and although can be a bit iffy with his jumping, he can be brilliant on his day. Crucially he goes very well fresh - he won the Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter on his 2005 reappearance, and won on his first start in 2004 at Stratford. Will probably be held up here and the likely fast pace will suit.

Ollie Magern: Touted for Gold Cup glory after winning this race from the front in 2005, but hasn't come close to winning since (beaten a combined 300 lengths plus in last eight races). Something may have been amiss and if he is back to his best could win this from the front again. Nigel Twiston-Davies' stable is in hot form and a bold bid wouldn't surprise in the slightest. However, his form has been awful and it would take a great deal of trust if you were thinking about backing him. If he were a big price, and he should be, he may be worth a spectaculative punt, but the sponsors offer of 9/2 means he is readily passed over.

Conclusion: An intriguing contest that is going to depend on fitness and the relative talents of the horses' respective trainers as every contender lines up for the first time this season. Therefore, the top four have a really tough task conceding weight to the rest. Of those off 11 stone, Bewleys Berry is the least complicated, though he has plenty to find on the book. The other three (Kingscliff, Ollie Magern and Monkerhostin) are all risky propositions for different reasons, and it may pay to chance the latter given his record when fresh. Ollie Magern and Kingscliff should ensure this is a decent test, and Monkerhostin could benefit the most.

Racing Post...
Voy Por Ustedes to return in Haldon Gold Cup at Exeter

by John Sexton

VOY POR USTEDES, last season's Queen Mother Champion Chase winner, looks certain to make his eagerly awaited return to racing inthe valuable William Hill Gold Cup, centrepiece of the card at Exeter on Tuesday.

He is due to carry top weight of 11st 10lb from his rating of 169 in a high-class renewal of the race, better known as the Haldon Gold Cup, next week. He will have to give away at least 11lb to his rivals, with last season's leading 2m novice chaser Twist Magic next in the weights.

"The plan is that Voy Por Ustedes will run at Exeter just as long as the ground is okay," said trainer Alan King, "and at the moment it looks like being fine for him as it is good with good to firm places."

That was confirmed by Exeter's clerk of the course Barry Johnson, who walked the course on Thursday and was pleased with its condition.

He said: "It is mainly good though there area few good to firm spots down the back straight on the chase course. There is a good covering of grass and I think it is holding the moisture.
"It is a little faster on the hurdles course where it is mainly good to firm and I don't think there will be much change by next Tuesday. The forecast is for mainly dry weather, though we could have some light showers at the weekend, but no more than 2mm of rain."

Voy Por Ustedes is likely to be given a stiff test on his return, with Philip Hobbs confirming last season's Arkle Trophy runner-up Fair Along a near-certain runner.

He comes to the race on the back of an excellent third in the Cesarewitch last time and Hobbs plans to run him on Tuesday rather than wait for the Paddy Power Gold Cup 11 days later.

Other likely runners include Royal Shakespeare and David Pipe's Pablo Du Charmil.

Racing Post...

The Listener Faces Five Depending on Ground

by Thomas Deane

THE LISTENER (pictured) will face five rivals in Saturday's James Nicholson Wine Merchant Champion Chase at Down Royal - providing the ground is no quicker than good.

Robert Alner's talented grey has been declared andconnections are eager to run but do not want the word firm to appear in the going description.

The Listener jumped to prominence last season with a classy win in the Lexus Chase on heavy ground and Alner is hoping he will remain competitive in many of the top Irish contests.

Regarding Saturday's race, Alner said: "I'd still be worried about the ground and it'll be interesting to see how it rides there on Friday.

"Nick Mitchell, my assistant, is over there and will walk it after racing and we'll see how it is.

"As long as it is genuinely good ground he'll run and obviously we want to run as the horse travelled over on Wednesday and I'm really happy with him.
"I'd just be worried if it turned good to firm and I'd reserve the judgment whether to run or not if that was the case.

"The plan was to run him four times in Ireland this season - in this race, the John Durkan, the Lexus and then the Hennessy before taking things from there."

Should The Listener get thego-ahead to run, he will face stiff opposition from Taranis and Dusty Sheehy's Justified.

The former won last season's Ryanair Chase at the Cheltenham Festival and will be having his first crack at three miles, while the latter will have just his second run at the trip after reappearing with an impressive win in a Gowran Grade 2.

Former Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup winner Strong Flow will represent Dessie Hughes, with Baron De Feypo and Light On The Broom completing the line-up.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 PM
The Curragh

Bewley's is another of my favs but i'm not sure if he will be good enough here (i hope so though).

Him and Aces Four in the Charlie Hall for me.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Saratoga

Aaaah well.....

The Listener - heads back to Ireland.

LISTENER TO BID FOR REDEMPTION

By Keith Hamer, PA Sport

The Listener will try to gain compensation back across the Irish Sea next month following his early exit at Down Royal.

Trainer Robert Alner has the John Durkan Memorial Chase at Punchestown on December 9 in mind for the eight-year-old grey.

The Listener only got as far as the third fence in the James Nicholson Wine Merchant Champion Chase when he unseated Daryl Jacob before running loose.

"He's absolutely fine. It was a disappointment, but there you go," said Alner.

"They weren't going fast enough. He has such power, he enjoys jumping so much he just overdid it. Next time we go over he'll go a faster gallop and bowl along.

"The idea was to hunt round for a circuit on Saturday then make it a race but he didn't get to do that.

"We're now heading for the John Durkan at Punchestown."

Alner has no plans for Kingscliff after he was last of the five finishers behind the trailblazing Ollie Magern in the Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby.

"He's OK, but we've no plans for him at the moment.

"That was a hell of a race and they went some gallop. When Ollie Magern's like that, he's just unbelievable.

"I think my owner was disappointed we didn't lie up with him but I don't think there were even many hurdlers who could lie up with that horse."
Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 AM
The Curragh

The winner of that race, Taranis, is a very smart chaser.

I'm sorry, but our boy Vor Por doesn't run tomorrow. I'm not quite sure why. I don't think anything is wrong with him. Maybe the ground is too firm for him. He will be running soon though.

Cheltenham soon......... i can't wait!!

Old 11-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Saratoga

Racing Post...

On Voy Por.....

Pair may go hurdling after missing Exeter chase

by David Carr

VOY POR USTEDES (pictured above, left) and Twist Magic could both make unexpected returns to hurdling after being ruled out of Tuesday's William Hill Gold Cup.

Each had been firmly pencilled in to make his comeback in Tuesday afternoon's £70,000 but neither was declared for the biggest race of the season at Exeter, where the ground on the chase course was described officially as good, good to firm in places.

Alan King felt there was not enough give underfoot for Voy Por Ustedes and said: “It was too firm and we are not chancinghim - it is not worth the risk. We were desperate to run but we have waited this long and we will continue to wait.

“We are not going to go anywhere until it rains but I have put him in over hurdles in a limited handicap at Wincanton on Saturday, theElite Hurdle - he is on off only 130 so that is an option for him.”

Voy Por Ustedes, who has not run over hurdles since his juvenile campaign in 2004/5 when he won three times, is among 18 entries for the Elite, along with last season's smart novice Osana and Deep Purple, who is unbeaten in four runs over jumps for Evan Williams.

Paul Nicholls also withdrew Twist Magic from the Exeter race and said: “When Alan didn't run Voy Por Ustedes I wasn't very keen on running under top-weight first time as a five-year-old on that ground so we decided to wait and play safe.

“He is in the Greatwood Hurdle at Cheltenham and there is a graduation chase at Kempton next week that he is eligible for but we will wait and see where we go.”

... and Monk!

Monkerhostin effort thrills Hobbs

by Nick Robson

PHILIP HOBBS was delighted with Monkerhostin's third behind Ollie Magern in the Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby on Saturday.

The former King George VI Chase runner-up may next be seen over hurdles due to a lack of opportunities over fences.

"I was chuffed to bits really but there aren't that many options for him with his handicap mark," said Hobbs.

"We have the Limited handicaps to go at but he is 10 years old and he is not getting any better.

"I was delighted with his jumping, he raced with enthusiasm and he stayed on very well.

"We did have him entered in the Aintree race in which Kauto Star ran (the Old Roan Chase) but I think probably two and a half miles is too short for him these days - but we are looking at all the options.

"I wouldn't even disregard a three-mile hurdle race for him as there are so few options for him we just have to go where we can."
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
The Curragh

From RP.......

by Rodney Masters

VOY POR USTEDES (pictured above, pink cap) may make his seasonal debut at Cheltenham next Sunday in a £50,000 handicap over 2m, trainer Alan King said on Friday.

Fast ground frustrated King's original plan to launch his Queen Mother Champion Chase winner this week in the William Hill Gold Cup at Exeter, and also his alternative option, Saturday's totescoop6 Elite Hurdle at Wincanton. Now King may turn his attention to the £50,000 paddypower.com Handicap Chase.

“It wouldn't be ideal starting off under top weight ina handicap, but we're running rather short of options,” said the trainer. “He's not a definite runner at this stage because obviously ground conditions will again be a factor.”

Cheltenham is engaged in a watering programme, and course spokesman Andy Clifton said on Friday the going on the chase and hurdle courses was officially ‘good'. “We also hand 5mm of rain on Thursday, and that has helped,” he added.

Stablemate My Way De Solzen, winner of the Arkle Chase last season, is on course to clash with Kauto Star in Haydock's Betfair Chase on Saturday - providing the ground eases in the next fortnight.

King added: "It's pretty likely that My Way De Solzen will go to the Betfair Chase as that would be the first logical step. He's fine and ready to run but we need the rain.”

In Betfair's market on the Betfair Chase Kauto Star was trading as 11-10 favourite on Friday afternon ahead of My Way De Solzen at 4-1 and Exotic Dancer at 8-1.

Jessica Harrington has mapped out a return for top-class hurdler Macs Joy in the Maplewood Developments Hurdle at Punchestown next Sunday.

Harrington said: “It's great to have him back. He's a wonderful horse, we were very disappointed he didn't make it to Cheltenham last year and the plan this year will be to get two or three races into him before going for the Champion Hurdle again.”

Macs Joy is set to face stiff opposition in a field that could include previous winners Harchibald and Iktitaf, both trained by Noel Meade.

Nicky Henderson has admitted that there are some "dangerous" times ahead for Trabolgan as he plots a return for the 2005 Hennessy Gold Cup winner who has been off the track with tendon trouble for nearly two years.

"He's back and he looks tremendous," said Henderson. "Mick Meagher, who looks after them at (owner) Trevor Hemmings' stud, has done a great job and kept him ticking over in controlled exercise.

"Rain is the crucial thing - we are not getting drawn into making targets.

"An awful lot of the injuries are caused by them not being fit, particularly at this time of year - these are dangerous times," he told At The Races.

Hope Voy Por goes to Cheltenham on Sunday, then i will see him

Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

Hope Voy Por goes to Cheltenham on Sunday, then i will see him
Blow him a kiss when he wins...

IKTITAF OUT FOR SEASON

By Nick Robson, PA Sport

Noel Meade has ruled his Champion Hurdle hope Iktitaf out for the season after he suffered a nasty cut schooling on Friday morning.

The six-year-old was expected to make his seasonal reappearance in the Maplewood Developments Hurdle at Punchestown this weekend.

Iktitaf won the race last year and went on to push Brave Inca all the way in the December Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown.

He was in the process of running a huge race in the Champion Hurdle last March when he fell at the third-last flight.

"Iktitaf got a cut schooling this morning," said Meade.

"Paul (Carberry) came in to school him and he suffered a nasty overreach.

"It's a bad cut. We sent him off to hospital to have it stitched - it's definitely a bad cut.

"It's put paid to his season I would think."
Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Saratoga

On "brave Ustedes"... who lost by a head.....

http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/n...al_150342.html
Old 11-18-2007, 02:24 PM
The Curragh

He had to carry a big weight today, and the more rain that fell (believe me, there was a lot) the better chance the winner had.

The ground was terrible by that race, and it was quite a surprised they run anymore races. They did abandon the last race though.

Terrible day, soaked from head to toe. Felt like i had swam the atlantic fully clothed by the time i had got to the car!