Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
The more and more i read, the more i think he is guilty. I didn't think Fallon was this stupid and/or greedy....... maybe i was wrong.

What do you think, mmsc?

I know you really like him, but you must admit that this evidence is shocking.
What do I think?

I think that I'm a hypocrite because I'm always all for any celebrity getting a fair and just punishment... I don't give a crap who they are if they've done something wrong.

I think that i keep seeing his face before Horatio's last race, when he wanted him scratched.

I think that i keep seeing him walking, slumped over and devastated after Gypsy King broke down and wondering if he'd commit suicide and praying that he'd be strong and not continue or revert to the downward spiral.

I think that he's amazing and talented and that he's the tragic figure of the racing world...

I think that it just broke my heart to read the piece and I couldn't help but to wonder if these are lies even though i realized a second later I'm just trying to rationalize things because i don't want to believe them.

I think that I just don't even want to talk about this today and i think that we all make mistakes and should be forgiving and respect someone who pulled themselves up and has worked hard and has battled depression and had so many problems.....

I think I can't be fair here. I don't want to believe this and if I'm forced to I want to find reasoning behind his actions because sometimes when a person is under a great deal of stress they make foolish choices.

I think there's a chance we're reading these texts out of context and while they appear to be incriminating, are they really?

I think I'm going around in circles.

I don't know what i think.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Santa Anita

just remember that it is the prosecutions job to make him as guilty looking as possible.. That still doesnt mean that all of the above is fact...

#Grand
Old 10-08-2007, 04:32 PM
The Curragh

I know they are trying to make him look guilty, but to be honest all they have done is read text messages sent from his phone and get phone records with him and the people between him and Miles.

All of this with the betting information to back this up. It doesn't look good. The defece lawyers will find this hard and i think they know that themselves.

mmsc. I know Fallon has been through many problems, and overall he is a nice man. Even though he pulled a family friend of mine of his horse after a race once.

However, if he is found guilty of doing this, he has done it and hurt the sport we love. He has basically stole hundreds of thousands of pounds from the general public.

Great jocky, and a very wealthy man. Why did he need to get involved in this?

Kieren, i hope they have the wrong man..... but you have got yourself into this hole.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
just remember that it is the prosecutions job to make him as guilty looking as possible.. That still doesnt mean that all of the above is fact...
Well, to be fair all they have done is record the text messages and phone calls..... and they ARE fact.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
I know they are trying to make him look guilty, but to be honest all they have done is read text messages sent from his phone and get phone records with him and the people between him and Miles.

All of this with the betting information to back this up. It doesn't look good. The defece lawyers will find this hard and i think they know that themselves.

mmsc. I know Fallon has been through many problems, and overall he is a nice man. Even though he pulled a family friend of mine of his horse after a race once.

However, if he is found guilty of doing this, he has done it and hurt the sport we love. He has basically stole hundreds of thousands of pounds from the general public.

Great jocky, and a very wealthy man. Why did he need to get involved in this?

Kieren, i hope they have the wrong man..... but you have got yourself into this hole.
well apparantly, he actually lost those guys money.... it will be interesting to hear what they say about the text messages.. are some of those things said out of context..

#Grand
Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
well apparantly, he actually lost those guys money.... it will be interesting to hear what they say about the text messages.. are some of those things said out of context..
He did cost them money on a couple of occasions, and as soon as he did there were text meesgaes that said "they are watching me" and "i couldn't do it"

I really hope he is innocent, but at the moment he looks as if he is in a very deep hole.

Everyone who has been accused of these race fixing allegations has been charged so far because the evidence has been substantial. They have so many links what with betting patterns, telephone records and race videos. It will be hard for even the best defense lawyers to get around all of that.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Santa Anita

all i can say at the moment, is that when you hear the prosecutors arguments, you nearly always go away with the view that he is guilty.. thats their job.. Its the defences job now to balance that with solid evidence that shows that he wasnt part of this organisation.

#Grand
Old 10-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Santa Anita

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7020010.stm shows the 27 races in question.. I am really really surprised that Russian Rhythm's Lockinge win is there.. Did this organisation really try to influence G1 races??

#Grand
Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7020010.stm shows the 27 races in question.. I am really really surprised that Russian Rhythm's Lockinge win is there.. Did this organisation really try to influence G1 races??
I suppose it is like reverse psychology/double bluff. No one expects Gr1 races to be subject of wrong doing....... therefore it is possibly easier for organisations of this nature to target those.

Just a thought

Old 10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
The Curragh

Fallon 'lost race he should
have won at a canter'

by Shenai Raif

KIEREN FALLON came second in a race which he should have won "at a canter", the Ł2 million race-fixing trial at the Old Bailey was told on Tuesday.

The six-times champion jockey appeared to stop riding Ballinger Ridge as he came into the home stretch with a huge lead, said Jonathan Caplan QC, prosecuting.

Fallon later told a stewards' inquiry that he had given the horse "a breather" and was afraid he would become "legless" if he kept up the pace, the court was told.

The Jockey Club had tipped off officials at Lingfield racecourse before the race in March 2004 that a large amount of money had been placed on the horse to lose.

The sport's ruling body later found that Fallon had made an error of judgment in the race.

Mr Caplan said the Jockey Club was not aware of the full picture at the time.

A prosecution expert had since found the ride to be "not a marginal case of a jockey dropping his hands".

Mr Caplan said: "He notes that passing the two-furlong marker Ballinger Ridge was five or six lengths in front.

"But Fallon then dramatically slows his momentum to the point where he is doing virtually nothing.

"Prior to the one-furlong marker Fallon turns and looks back. The other runners are four to five lengths behind.

Fallon eases the horse down, which would send the message to the horse that the race was over."

The Australian expert had then found Fallon looking round again at the half-furlong but "only tries to get going again" when another horse, Rye, is going past.

"By that time Ballinger Ridge has lost momentum. There is no legitimate reason that a jockey would need to be looking back and steadying his horse down with a furlong still to go.

"When you look at all the evidence in this case, you can be sure Mr Fallon wanted Rye to be the winner."

Mr Caplan said betting syndicate boss Miles Rodgers had placed Ł74,000 on Ballinger Ridge to lose the race.

He alleged that fellow jockey Fergal Lynch acted as an intermediary between Rodgersand Fallon in a conspiracy to make horses lose and win money for crooked backers.

On the day of the race, he said Rodgers phoned Lynch nine times before the race. Lynch sent a text message to Fallon a little under two hours before the race.

Fallon, Rodgers and four other men deny conspiring to make 27 horses lose, defrauding the online betting exchange Betfair and other punters between December 2002 and September 2004.

The accused are: jockeys Fallon, 42, formerly of Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, but now of Tipperary, Ireland; Fergal Lynch, 29, of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire; and Darren Williams, 29, of Leyburn, North Yorkshire; Lynch's brother, Shaun Lynch, 37, of Belfast; former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, 38, of Silkstone, South Yorkshire; and Philip Sherkle, 42, of Tamworth, Staffordshire.

Rodgers also denies concealing the proceeds of crime. All the defendants are on bail.

Mr Caplan said the Jockey Club called police in and an undercover investigation was startedin mid-May 2004, leading to arrests in September that year.

On May 15, 2004, Fallon won the Juddmonte Lockinge at Newbury aboard Sir Michael Stoute's Russian Rhythm, in a race of "some significance and value".

The race was the only Group One race involved in the conspiracy and Rodgers, who was thought to be working with others in Spain, had backed the horse to lose.

He lost Ł160,256 when the horse won by half a length, it was alleged.

Mr Caplan said Fallon telephoned Lynch four hours before the race and later sent a text to Shaun Lynch.
Shaun had made calls during the day to Rodgers, and Rodgers rang him five times after the race.

Mr Caplan told the jury: "Rodgers and the other conspirators were clearly expecting the horse to lose under Fallon but something went wrong.

"The prosecution cannot say what precisely went wrong but we can say that Shaun Lynch was seen as being an unreliable intermediary between Rodgers and Fallon after this, and eventually was replaced by Sherkle.

"The prosecution will invite you to draw the inference that something happened in the communication between Fallon and Shaun Lynch in the pre-race period."

Mr Caplan said that, in the next 10 days, Shaun and Rodgers went to Leicester racecourse to try to meet Fallon face to face.

They also made a trip to Newmarket with Sherkle and another man "in mysterious circumstances" in an attempt to see or confront Fallon, said Mr Caplan.

And two pay-as-you-go mobiles with unregistered details were activated to be used by Fallon and Sherkle, it was alleged.

Mr Caplan said Rodgers was only able to see Fallon for a few minutes before giving the jockey and Darryll Holland a lift to Leicester Airport.

The jockeys, along with Seb Sanders, then took a private plane to Newmarket.

A week later, Shaun Lynch made concerted efforts to set up a meeting but it never took place. At one stage, he sent Fallon 17 text messages, the court heard.

In the early hours of the following day, May 27, 2004, Rodgers' Mercedes car containing Shaun Lynch, Sherkle and an Irish businessman was seen driving through unlit country roads near Fallon's home.

Mr Caplan said the car with its lights on full beam parked behind an unmarked police car which had been following him.

The policeman drove off towards Newmarket but found the Mercedes attempting to block his path.

"The Mercedes followed him. He saw a marked police vehicle and accelerated over a mini roundabout," said Mr Caplan.

The police car stopped the vehicle and the Mercedes drove past again but then took off.

Mr Caplan said: "They would not have known that he was a police officer but they were obviously concerned that they might be being watched.

"The proper inference to draw is that the persons who came especially to Newmarket were unhappy with the loss on Russian Rhythm and were anxious to confirm with Fallon a more reliable working arrangement."

More anger followed in July after Fallon lost the syndicate Ł105,000 by winning on the Queen's horse Daring Aim.

On August 3, Fergal Lynch was on the same plane to Malaga in Spain with Rodgers, said Mr Caplan.

He said an undercover policeman was also on board and after they left the plane, Rodgers was heard to say to Fergal Lynch: "When you meet the big man play up to him. He's coming down internally..."

Mr Caplan added: "The prosecution say the journey was to meet one of the unknown men in the conspiracy."

They returned to Britain on August 5. A ticket hadbeen bought for Fallon from August 1-4.

Mr Caplan said: "Although Fallon did not join them on the trip to Spain, a ticket for him had, in fact, been purchased by Fergal Lynch.

"The ticket confirmation had been seized after Fallon's arrest from the glove compartment of his car. Fallon was a 'no show' on the flight.

"That trip was made, at least in part, to enable Rodgers and Fergal Lynch to meet with the persons residing in Spain who were parties to this conspiracy.

"Mr Fallon did not use that ticket and he did not go."

The trial was adjourned to Wednesday.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Santa Anita

one unusual thing i noticed over the last 2 days was that on Monday, Fallon was on the front cover of most Irish newspapers celebrating his famous win on Dylan Thomas in the Arc. Then today, he was AGAIN on the front page of most newspapers in relation to the trial with numerous accompagning headlines like "Champion Cheat". Its very very rare that you see the same person on the front page of the paper two days in a row and for 2 different reasons.

#Grand
Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
one unusual thing i noticed over the last 2 days was that on Monday, Fallon was on the front cover of most Irish newspapers celebrating his famous win on Dylan Thomas in the Arc. Then today, he was AGAIN on the front page of most newspapers in relation to the trial with numerous accompagning headlines like "Champion Cheat". Its very very rare that you see the same person on the front page of the paper two days in a row and for 2 different reasons.
Newspapers are very fickle.

There is SO much evidence against him, it's not hard to see why people are beginning to turn against him.

Even i wasn't aware there was this much evidence counted against him. As you have said, it is made to look bad at the moment, but the fact that it is still there shocks me.

I will never forget the Ballinger Ridge ride and watching ATR that morning with them constantly flagging him up as a HUGE drifter.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
The Curragh

It isn't exactly the number of phone calls and text messages that looks bad, but it is the timing of them, which makes it look almost certain that they were all in on this together.

The timing of them before and after the races in question. Fallon has at least been bright enough not to contact Rodgers directly, but will that be enough to get him off the hook. Judging by the evidence against him, i doubt it.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Santa Anita

The Ballinger Ridge race gets so much attention and deservedly so. It looks terrible.. As a racing fan though, I thought he was quite unlucky. With those shocking bad horses, winning by massive distances literally destroys their handicap mark (my point here is that BR won next time out, went up 7pounds for it and never won again!!). You see so many jocks easing up and winning by as little as possible. Fallon made a huge mistake, easing too early on a horse that was tired so it took him much longer than normal to get going again. And after a terrible riding mistake, he only lost on a head bobber - hardly a deliberate loser there..

#Grand
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
The Ballinger Ridge race gets so much attention and deservedly so. It looks terrible.. As a racing fan though, I thought he was quite unlucky. With those shocking bad horses, winning by massive distances literally destroys their handicap mark (my point here is that BR won next time out, went up 7pounds for it and never won again!!). You see so many jocks easing up and winning by as little as possible. Fallon made a huge mistake, easing too early on a horse that was tired so it took him much longer than normal to get going again. And after a terrible riding mistake, he only lost on a head bobber - hardly a deliberate loser there..
I'm not with you here at all.

It was the constant looking over his shoulder in the straight. First time about 7 lengths clear...... which was fine, he then looked and they had closed to about four lengths. Even if you are trying to save a horses handicap mark you at least try and maintain a couple length lead, but no, Fallon eased the horse even more. Another look round and Rye was about a length behind, and it wasn't until Rye had put his head in front that Fallon started to move in the saddle.

I understand what you are saying about handicap marks, but this wasn't a case of that at all. Didn't Willie Muir say he was disgusted by the ride afterwards and also say he should have won eight lengths? suggesting he didn't care how far the horse won.

Fallon had every chance to win that race by just a couple of lengths, but he didn't take that chance.

Match that up with the huge amount of money that Rodgers placed on the horse to get beaten, and you have a very dodgey case on your hands.

Did you read the article from the Racing Post?

This race wasn't just a case of preserving the horses handicap mark. Fallon could have won a very easy two lengths and the handicapper would have treated it like a six length victory anyway. There is a HUGE myth in racing that the winning distance is a big thing for the handicapper. When a horse wins easily (as BR would have done) the winning distance would have made no difference from a handicappers point of view.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Saratoga

Just a passing thought but are texts routinely allowed as evidence?

I mean, would it be far-fetched to rule that they're inadmissible?

Just wondering.....
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Just a passing thought but are texts routinely allowed as evidence?

I mean, would it be far-fetched to rule that they're inadmissible?

Just wondering.....
Yes, texts and phone records are often used as evidence.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Saratoga

I was afraid of that. I just thought maybe texts... maybe it could be argued....

RP...

The suggestion Fallon was deliberately trying to lose races 'simply ridiculous'

by Shenai Raif

THE suggestion that Kieren Fallon was deliberately trying to lose raceswas "simply ridiculous", a betting scam trial was told on Wednesday.

Fallon was six times champion jockey and a man "driven to win", said his barrister, John Kelsey-Fry QC.

Fallon listened a few feet away as Mr Kelsey-Fry told a jury at the Old Bailey: "He is a man driven by the desire to win."

Fallon and five others are accused of plotting to make 27 horses lose in order to win money on bets.

But the prosecution say he ended up owing the crooked betting syndicate money because he won five of his 17 races.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said: "The very fact that a man described as the greatest jockey of his generation ends up unable to help winning when he is trying to lose is simply ridiculous."

Fallon had, in fact, won more races - an average 29.4% - during the time of the alleged conspiracy, than the 19% he normally averaged.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said this meant Fallon's winning rides were 150 times higher "when he was trying to lose than when he was trying to win".

It alleged that the six defendants were involved in a conspiracy with others between December 2002 and September 2004 to defraud Betfair customers and other punters.

Fallon, 42, formerly of Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, but now of Tipperary, Ireland, Fergal Lynch, 29, of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, and Darren Williams, 29, of Leyburn, North Yorkshire, deny the charges.

Shaun Lynch, 37, of Belfast, former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, 38, of Silkstone, South Yorkshire, and Philip Sherkle, 42, of Tamworth, Staffordshire, also plead not guilty.

Rodgers also denies concealing the proceeds of crime. All the defendants are on bail.

The defendants in the case have been allowed to sit next to their lawyers in the well of the court during the rest of the trial.

Mr Kelsey-Fry was addressing the jury after the judge invited defence counsel to make a speech following the prosecution opening of the case.

Fallon and the two other jockeys, Fergal Lynch and Williams, are alleged to have passed on information to syndicate boss Rodgers that their rides would lose.

Fallon is alleged to have used intermediaries to pass on information but Mr Kelsey-Fry said he was only talking to friends about races.

He said: "Nothing wrong with that. If you're champion jockey six times, you will find, you readily accept, the whole world wanting to know your opinions about every horserace there is.

"You will hear evidence demonstrating that Mr Fallon was content to do so to any number of such people."

Mr Kelsey-Fry said Fallon had even been asked for his opinion in a BBC interview before he rode in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe in France at the weekend.

He won on Dylan Thomas but had fancied another horse, Soldier Of Fortune, because of the soft ground.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said the prosecution case showed "signs of desperation".

Earlier, Peter Kelson QC, for Rodgers, told the jurors that there were factors in the prosecution which would cause them anxiety.

The officer in charge of the inquiry, and who is soon to retire, had been offered a job with the Jockey Club which had originally called in police to make an independent investigation.

Mr Kelson said: "We submit that this matter goes to the root of impartiality in this matter."

He said Rodgers was a professional and prolific gambler who had not done anything illegal.

He had openly "boasted" of his contacts and made no secret of the fact that he relied on tips.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 AM
The Curragh

I'm sorry, but if the defence lawyers are going down the road of "the champion jockey" and "a driven man" this will be over very quickly.

The defence lawyers have to remember the fact that Fallon has overcome a drink addiction and has been recently banned for using cocaine.

The champion jockey and being a driven man for success will get them no where.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Santa Anita

this may seem very basic, but it seems to me that Fallon was just a nuisance to these guys.. yeah, he might have said things to people etc etc, but all he did was give these guys the run around and lose them money..

nochance, i suppose the defence has to say those things re: champion jockey etc.. for the jury to show just how high up he was in horse racing.. But yeah, its defo not the best pillar to rest a case upon..

#Grand