Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Saratoga

Default Fallon update.....

Racing on trial as Fallon faces the fight of his life

John O'Brien
Sunday September 23 2007

Nearly 12 months ago, Kieren Fallon sat in the weigh-room at the Curragh and recalled times past, an age of innocence. Back in the 1980s, he'd been apprenticed at Kevin Prendergast's yard a few hoofbeats away. Charlie Swan was a fellow cub. "That was a good time," Fallon said, "the best of my life. Charlie and me in our flat in Kildare. We never had a worry in the world. We never worried about the taxman, never worried about the mortgage, never worried about anything. We just enjoyed life."

After Prendergast's, they went their separate ways: Swan to a joyful, success-laden career over jumps, Fallon to a turbulent, success-laden career on the flat. The years in England brought wealth and glory but saddled him, too, with cares and anxieties the young apprentice could never have foreseen. Altercations with fellow jockeys, allegations of pulling horses, a battle against alcohol addiction. It has been an extraordinary journey.

And now it enters its most critical phase. Tomorrow the long-awaited trial into charges that Fallon, along with others, conspired to defraud customers of the betting exchange, Betfair, begins at the Central Criminal Court in London and if found guilty, the 42-year-old faces a possible prison sentence and, more certainly, the end of what has been a mercurial riding career.

Fallon was arrested in July last year following Operation Krypton, a two-year police investigation into horse racing that resulted in 40,000 pages of evidence being passed to the Crown Prosecution Service. Specifically, the case against the former champion jockey centres on 18 races in which Fallon is alleged to have passed information onto a betting syndicate headed by Miles Rodgers which used it to lay horses to lose on Betfair. Fallon denies the charges.

Along with Fallon,there are five other defendants: Rodgers, fellow jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, Lynch's brother Shaun and a Tamworth barman by the name of Philip Sherkle. But it is Fallon's name that will dominate the headlines and draw cameras and reporters in their droves to the court room.

In a sense, though, it is the entire sport and its credibility that is on show. The belief -- even among those who enjoy a flutter -- that racing and corruption go hand-in-hand is one that has always been hard to shake off. For the last decade in particular, there has been a concerted effort among racing authorities, with the help of the police, to identify fraud, punish the perpetrators and enhance the integrity of the sport and its image.

Following a haphazard start, they appear to be getting on top. Around the same time as Fallon was successfully suing the Sporting Life newspaper for libel in 1998, police were swooping on the homes of a number of jockeys including Jamie Osborne, Dean Gallagher and Leighton Aspell and questioning them in relation to doping and race-fixing allegations. Ultimately, no charges were brought against any of them.

Gradually, though, the investigations have been trawling deeper and some big fish have been netted. Graham Bradley, a former jump jockey, was warned off for eight years in 2002 after admitting in court to passing on information for cash to Brian Wright, a convicted drug baron. On appeal, Bradley's sentence was reduced to five years.

Last year two jockeys, Brian Reilly and Dean Williams, were banned for 18 months for passing information for cash to a bookmaker and this year has brought further casualties. Robert Winston, a highly-rated Dublin-born jockey, was banned for one year after being found guilty of a similar offence. Fellow jockeys Robbie Fitzpatrick and Luke Fletcher were handed three-year bans. Fran Ferris was disqualified for two years.

The case against Fallon must be seen in the context of that 10-year battle against corruption. Put simply, there are those among racing's ruling elite who would welcome a successful prosecution as not only would it offer further evidence that they are winning the war but that nobody -- least of all a multiple champion jockey -- is beneath their radar. The time and money expended during the course of the decade would be more than justified.

But there is deep unease too in racing circles at how the case has proceeded. Should the charges against Fallon be dismissed -- as he and his legal team believe -- then questions will surely be asked of the decision of the Horseracing Regularatry Authority to suspend the jockey after he was charged with conspiracy to defraud in July last year. There are those of the belief that the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise, so central to British justice, was suspended in Fallon's case.

The strength of the case against him is open to question too. It is supposedly based on 18 races in which Fallon is alleged to have passed information to Rodgers. The doubts centre on the fact that Fallon won six of those races and that the betting syndicate suffered a net loss.

If the prosecution accepts, as has been claimed, that Fallon received no monetary reward for the information, then his precise motive has to be established.

None of that clearly absolves Fallon if sufficient evidence is produced against him, but even if the former champion has sometimes been guilty of keeping bad company, that on its own is insufficient grounds to condemn him. Fallon denies any connection with Rodgers and to succeed, the CPS must prove they had a meaningful relationship and shared regular contact.

We should not anticipate quick answers. Fallon's legal team expect the trial to last at least four months and that might be a hopeful forecast. There will be times Fallon will think back to those carefree days of the Eighties and wonder how it came to this but, for now, he must steel himself for the fight of his life.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/othe...e-1085797.html

Free Kieren!
Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 PM
The Curragh

As much as i want him to be freed, it will be very difficult for him and his legal team.

40,000 pages of evidence. The odds are stacked against him here, i'm afraid. If they get through this trial and he is found not guilty, the reputation of racing's governing body will be in tatters, they will lose thw respect of thousands of racing fans. There will be resignations, calls for resignations.

I'm sorry to be negative about the whole case, but whatever the outcome..... racing will lose out.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 09-23-2007, 04:19 PM
snowdrops

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Free Kieren!
Couldn't agree more!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
If they get through this trial and he is found not guilty, the reputation of racing's governing body will be in tatters, they will lose thw respect of thousands of racing fans.
Okay I'll preface this by saying i am not jumping on you but ummm.... what?

The reputation of racing's governing body?

No Chance with all due respect why should i give a flying f**k about them when they are intentionally trying to destroy him?

You don't do this. You don't try to ruin someone.

Excerpt.....
The case against Fallon must be seen in the context of that 10-year battle against corruption. Put simply, there are those among racing's ruling elite who would welcome a successful prosecution as not only would it offer further evidence that they are winning the war but that nobody -- least of all a multiple champion jockey -- is beneath their radar. The time and money expended during the course of the decade would be more than justified.

But there is deep unease too in racing circles at how the case has proceeded. Should the charges against Fallon be dismissed -- as he and his legal team believe -- then questions will surely be asked of the decision of the Horseracing Regularatry Authority to suspend the jockey after he was charged with conspiracy to defraud in July last year. There are those of the belief that the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise, so central to British justice, was suspended in Fallon's case.

So what... convict him to prove that they "are winning the war"?

He should not be the fall guy, he doesn't deserve to be crucified.

Questions will be asked if the charges are dismissed? Damned right they should be.

They have no decency.

Shame on them.

**** them.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrops
Couldn't agree more!
Katy!!!

All the kids in HK said they miss you!
Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

No Chance with all due respect why should i give a flying f**k about them when they are intentionally trying to destroy him?

Excerpt.....

Questions will be asked if the charges are dismissed? Damned right they should be.

They have no decency.

Shame on them.

**** them.
I agree, but what i'm trying to say is that no one will have any respect for the governing body if Fallon is given a not guilty verdict. I hate to say it, but the majority of people here think Fallon is guilty.

This case has been on and off for over a year now and nothing has been done. Racing has been in the limelight, the tabloids have had a great time in destroying racing.

I'm sitting on the fence as far as Fallon is concerned, he is a great jockey, but he has done some very silly things and i have seen plenty of rides (including on one of my father's horses), which was interesting to say the least. I'm not for one minute saying that he is guilty, but it would not surprise me if he is.

The BHB/BHA/HRA (whatever they call themselves these days) have amassed plenty of evidence about the Fallon case, much more evidence than for anyof the other jockeys involved, and if i'm not mistaken all of the others have been found guilty.

For the British and Irish racing fans, it is a lose lose situation. If Fallon is found guilty, we have lost a great jockey from the sport. If he is found not guilty, many will lose faith in the governing body, many fans will forget about this "corrupt" sport as they will call it. Good guys will get blamed and resign and leave the sport.

I care for this sport, and if i'm being honest, a not guilty verdict won't be the best result for the sport.

I hope that makes sense.

I do agree that the suspension wasn't the right way to go, and to this day i don't understand why this was done.

However, they aren't trying to ruin him. If they have sufficient evidence to suggest he has been fixing races, he deserves nothing more than being banned and if he is found guilty i will no longer like the man. Anyone trying to ruin a sport which i love deserves no care in my opinion. All the other jockeys have been treated exactly the same way. The only reason Fallon's case has gone on longer is because he (and coolmore) have the money to fight the case, the other jockeys didn't.

mmsc, if Fallon is found guilty it will not just be to show that "they are winning the war" it will be to show that someone who has been proven of race fixing is banned from the sport. Nothing else.

I like Fallon, i think he is a great jockey, but if he is found guilty of race fixing beyond reasonable doubt, he will deserve everything he gets.

If he is found guilty, it is fraud to a massive scale. If it was in any other context, it would be a jail sentance, there is no doubt about that. IF he is found guilty he should thank his lucky stars that he won't be going to jail.

The BHA are just doing there job. Corruption has been with this sport for too long now, but now we have the means to prove it and bring people to justice. The way Fallon has been treated (i.e. the suspension) hasn't been the best, i will agree with that.

Old 09-24-2007, 04:48 AM
Santa Anita

As I said to one of my friends, Fallon is either the stupidest person in the world or the unluckiest person in the world to be caught up in this. Im hoping its the latter..

#Grand
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
As I said to one of my friends, Fallon is either the stupidest person in the world or the unluckiest person in the world to be caught up in this. Im hoping its the latter..
For him, i'm hoping it's the latter, too. But for racing in general i'm not so sure what the best outcome would be.

Many people have already lost faith in the racing authorities over here, and have separated themselves from racing because of it.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:

Excerpt.....

They have no decency.

Shame on them.

**** them.

Regardless of what happens to Keiren, if I ever am in a bit of a spot, I would love to have you on my side.

Wow!!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
Regardless of what happens to Keiren, if I ever am in a bit of a spot, I would love to have you on my side.

Wow!!
She's a softie, really.

Show mmsc a picture of Rakti and i reckon her legs would turn to jelly

Old 09-24-2007, 02:32 PM
snowdrops

Quote:
Katy!!!

All the kids in HK said they miss you!
You know you missed me :P.

Anyways, I have to say that I can see both sides of the argument. Needless to say, it would make me incredibly happy if they let him go, but if they end up punishing him, it would be understandable. I never saw any of the races that are in question, but I'll take NCTD's word on them.

But still, I'm just hoping that he's innocent.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ

Wow!!
I will ALWAYS be on your side, my Apache cat brothah.

(Course i missed you, Snowdrops!).

(Why would he, No Chance? He's not guilty....).
Old 09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
She's a softie, really.

Show mmsc a picture of Rakti and i reckon her legs would turn to jelly
Old 09-25-2007, 04:30 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
I will ALWAYS be on your side, my Apache cat brothah.

(Course i missed you, Snowdrops!).

(Why would he, No Chance? He's not guilty....).
I said the same thing about Tony Culhane and Fergal Lynch....... i was like "they aren't that stupid"..... turns out they were. Greed can get the better of anyone.

I'm not saying he is guilty at all, and i'm no lawyer, but 40,000 pages of evidence against him doesn't look good, does it.

I will never forget the Ballinger Ridge ride. I wish i could find a replay.

I'd like to say he isn't stupid enough to get involved in this, but at the moment i will be honest and say i'm really not sure.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I said the same thing about Tony Culhane and Fergal Lynch....... i was like "they aren't that stupid"..... turns out they were. Greed can get the better of anyone.

I'm not saying he is guilty at all, and i'm no lawyer, but 40,000 pages of evidence against him doesn't look good, does it.

I will never forget the Ballinger Ridge ride. I wish i could find a replay.

I'd like to say he isn't stupid enough to get involved in this, but at the moment i will be honest and say i'm really not sure.
... and what exactly is their so-called evidence?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
... and what exactly is their so-called evidence?
Betting patterns, telephone records between him and professional gamblers, video evidence of rides he has given that look far from Fallon-like, telephone records of ocnversations with already banned people (including jockeys) and i imagine much more.

There is a lot there, mmsc.

Before the exchanges, and a changing in the law most of these things were almost impossible to get hold of until about five years ago.

Now that all this information is possible to get hold of it is understandable that they want to fight corruption now that they have the means to do so.

You can't blame them for doing that.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:25 AM
The Curragh

Trial told of 'Fallon's role in plot to fix races'
by Shenai Raif and John-Paul Ford Rojas

A STEP-BY-STEP trail of how Kieren Fallon was allegedly involved in a plot to lose a race at Goodwood was given to jurors at his Old Bailey trial on Monday.

By coming third on the 2-1 favourite Goodwood Spirit during an evening race in August 2004, the jockey made nearly £30,000 for Miles Rodgers, the court heard.

Using a telephone chart, details of a text message, a Racing Post race card and a chart of Betfair account details, Jonathan Caplan QC explained to the trial how the conspiracy was allegedly carried out.

It is said to have been one of 27 horses ridden by Fallon and two other jockeys in a £2 million scheme to defraud punters over nearly two years.

In the case of Goodwood Spirit, it is claimed that businessman Rodgers, alleged to be at the centre of the conspiracy, "laid the horse" - that is, bet on it to lose - using seven different accounts on the online betting exchange Betfair.

He laid a total of £117,000 on Goodwood Spirit, winning about £30,000 when it lost, Mr Caplan said.

"The prosecution alleges that Mr Rodgers's confidence to lay the horse for that amount of money came from what happened earlier that day, that is to say the mobile telephone contact he had with others in the conspiracy - in this case Mr Fallon through the intermediary Philip Sherkle."

Jurors were shown a mobile phone chart which allegedly detailed a 17-second call at 11.43am on August 14, 2004 from Sherkle's mobile to Fallon.

Another call from Sherkle to Fallon, lasting one minute and 28 seconds, followed at 12.04pm, the jury was told.

There was then a text message from the jockey's mobile to Sherkle at 12.08, followed by a text from Sherkle to Rodgers a minute later.

The latter message, recovered from Rodgers's mobile, read "6.55 no 4 n".

Mr Caplan said that "6.55" referred to the race at Goodwood at that time while "no 4" referred to the number on the race card in the Racing Post that morning - not the number on the stall - and "n" meant "non-trier".

It is alleged this was the same message which Fallon had sent to Sherkle a minute before, forwarded to Rodgers.

"Mr Fallon was confiding in that text message that he would do what he could if necessary to stop that horse."

At 6.36pm, Rodgers began to lay thousands of pounds on Goodwood Spirit to lose, using accounts controlled by him in seven different names, jurors were told, with the last one being laid at 6.51pm, four minutes before the race was due to start.

A total amount of £116,738 was laid, with the accounts making a profit of £29,822 from the horse losing, the court heard.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:37 AM
The Curragh

Fallon 'in plot to fix races'
by Shenai Raif and John-Paul Ford Rojas

SIX-TIME champion jockey Kieren Fallon was involved in a plot in which he and two other jockeys agreed to cheat in 27 races to make horses lose, the Old Bailey was told on Monday.

The prosecution alleged there was an agreement not to permit horses to "run on their merits" and that "riding practices would be used if necessary" to interfere with their running.

The horses did not always lose as they were meant to - but when they did, it allowed a dishonest syndicate run by businessman Miles Rodgers to make money on the online betting exchange Betfair, the jury was told.

The six defendants, including jockeys Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, deny being part of a race-fixing scam.

Fallon, 42, formerly of Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, but now of Tipperary, Ireland, Fergal Lynch, 29, of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, and Darren Williams, 29, of Leyburn, North Yorkshire, deny the charges.

Lynch's brother Shaun Lynch, 37, of Belfast, former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, 38, of Silkstone, South Yorkshire, and Philip Sherkle, 42, of Tamworth, Staffordshire, have also pleaded not guilty.

They are charged with conspiracy to defraud between December 2002 and September 2004 by interfering with the running of horses to ensure they lost races, defrauding Betfair punters and others putting money on the races.

Rodgers is also accused of concealing the proceeds of crime.

Jonathan Caplan QC, prosecuting, told the court: "This case concerns a serious allegation of fraud.

"It is unusual because it is also concerned with sport and any allegation of fraud in that context obviously undermines the integrity of the sport in question."

He said the 27 races were run on various dates and in different parts of Britain.

Mr Caplan said: "The prosecution case is that there was an unlawful agreement or conspiracy between these defendants and other persons that those races should be fixed.

"The defendants in this case did not fix races to ensure a particular horse won.

"On the contrary, they fixed the races to ensure that the horses in question lost.

"The object of the conspiracy was to wager large amounts of money on aparticular horse to lose in each of those races whilst knowing that the jockey was prepared, if necessary, to cheat by stopping the horse."

Mr Caplan told the court that the betting was organised and conducted by Rodgers, who had numerous accounts in different names with Betfair.

"He was the organiser of this conspiracy and was the one who was most involved," said Mr Caplan.

"On race days, Rodgers had direct contact by mobile telephone with Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams.

"Kieren Fallon was more cautious and Rodgers had indirect contact with Fallon using an intermediary, Shaun Lynch, to a lesser extent Fergal Lynch, and latterly, Philip Sherkle."

Mr Caplan said the jury would be invited to look at all the circumstances of the case and "at the pattern which we say clearly emerges from them".

He said that "there was a criminal conspiracy in operation to fix numerous horse races in this country to the detriment of the betting public, and that this conspiracy was only brought to a close by the arrests of these defendants".

Mr Caplan outlined the evidence in what he said was an "important case".

He alleged the men associated with each other, mostly at a time when Rodgers was declared a "disqualified" person by the Disciplinary Panel of the Jockey Club.

Mr Caplan said that "extensive contact" by mobile phone and text message took place on race days.

"The number of calls pre-race and their timing clearly suggests a pattern that was adhered to by eachof the jockeys," he said.

"After Rodgers had been contacted by Fergal Lynch or Williams directly pre-race, or by Fallon indirectly via his intermediary, Rodgers would then begin to use the Betfair accounts to 'lay' the horse in question - that is to bet that the horse would lose.

"The prosecution say that the jockeys were confirming in these pre-race calls that the horse would be stopped."

Mr Caplan told the jury that police had found some text messages which were exchanged. There would also be a chart showing that texts were sent, but not what they said.

Within a short space of time of the calls from the jockeys, Rodgers would bet sizeable sums of money "or lay bets to achieve a small return by comparison", he said.

Bets were usually more than £100,000 to win about £20,000. Others would be some £60,000 to win about £4,000.

"This indicated a knowledge about the outcome of the race that was not shared by the rest of the market.

"That knowledge was that the jockey concerned was prepared to assist in making the lay bet successful," Mr Caplan said.

The court was told that some of the trainers involved in the races would be giving evidence.

The jury heard that bugged conversations that Rodgers had in August 2004 with Fergal Lynch, Philip Sherkle and others would be produced in evidence.

They were taken from bugs in Rodgers's Mercedes car and in the car park of an Italian restaurant which he owns.

"It was from that car park that Rodgers would frequently make calls on his mobile when he did not wish to be overheard," said Mr Caplan.

An independent Australian racing steward called Ray Murrihy had been asked to watch recordings of races and give his opinion.

"Out of the 27 races, he expressed concerns regarding 13," said Mr Caplan.

"He also says race interference by a jockey is usually very subtle and difficult to detect."

The court would also hear about covert surveillance evidence by police and about documents recovered after Rodgers' arrest.

Mr Caplan assured the seven women and five men on the jury that everything would be explained to them.

"It does not matter whether you know something about horse racing and betting or not," he said.

They would be asked to watch the races and see the surveillance film and photographs.

Although the defendants firmly denied there was a plot, some of the men agreed they had phoned each other for the innocent purpose of passing on tips or betting information.

"Fallon's position appears to be that he would discuss the prospects of his own rides with Fergal and Shaun Lynch but was completely unaware if they passed this information on to Rodgers," said Mr Caplan.

"Fallon says that he also gave some tips to Sherkle, whom he thought was having 'his own couple of quid' on them. He was completely unaware if Sherkle passed these tips of Rodgers."

He added: "Whilst they may well have exchanged tips and information at various times, there was something far more sinister and unlawful going on."

Mr Caplan said it was "inconceivable" that Fallon gave information to the Lynch brothers and to Sherkle and they all passed it on to Rodgers without him knowing.

Mr Caplan said a total of £2.12 million was laid by Rodgers' Betfair accounts on the 27 races between December 2002 and the end of August 2004.

Fallon rode 17 of the races.

"He won for the conspirators 12 times by losing, but he lost for them five times by winning," Mr Caplan said.

Fallon's wins between mid-May and mid-August 2004 cost the conspirators almost half a million pounds, it was alleged.

"According to what Rodgers said to others in the probe, it led to a temporary fall-out between Fallon and Rodgers.

"At the time of the arrests on 1st September 2004, Fallon had made a net loss for the conspiracy of about £338,000."

Mr Caplan added: "But it is important to remember that Rodgers at the time was working with Fergal Lynch and Fallon to get the conspiracy back into profit by concentrating on their rides in 'Handicap' races."

Mr Caplan said of Fallon: "He has been champion jockey in this country on six occasions.

Fergal Lynch had ridden in six of the races and only lost the conspirators money once by winning on Familiar Affair.

"He won on that occasion because he was 'playing' three races for the conspirators in one day and, as it turned out, it would have been too dangerous to stop all three horses.

"He earned a net profit for the conspiracy of just over £5,000 by the time of his arrest," said Mr Caplan.

Darren Williams rode four of the races and won for the plotters each time by losing, earning them £55,000, thecourt heard.

Mr Caplan said there were others involved in the plot who were not before the court.

Mr Caplan told the jury that the aim of the conspiracy was for Rodgers to wager "very large amounts of money" on a horse to lose, knowing that the jockey "was prepared to cheat by using tactics on course to stop the horse if it was likely to win".

But he added: "The plan was not foolproof because you could not always stop the horse if, in the particular circumstances, it would look too obvious.

"A horse race is a dynamic event and anything can happen. But the plan worked most of the time."

On Favour, ridden by Fallon, Rodgers wagered £100,000 to win just over £12,000; on Romil Star, ridden by Williams, he bet £92,000 to win £16,000; and on CD Europe, ridden by Fergal Lynch, nearly £36,000 for £2,000, Mr Caplan said.

These bets by Rodgers usually amounted to just over 50% of the Betfair market in that particular race, he told the jury.

"The pattern of contact by mobile phone on race days was nearly always the same, whichever jockey was riding.

"The jockey would call or text Rodgers, or Fallon would call or text the intermediary, who would then almost instantaneously contact Rodgers, and Rodgers would then begin to lay the horseon Betfair.

"This system of contact confirmed that the jockey was ready and able to try and stop the horse. This gave Rodgers the confidence to lay sizeable amounts of money.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Saratoga

Racing Post.....

Fallon texted 'they are watching me', court told

by John-Paul Ford Rojas

KIEREN FALLON sent a "revealing" series of text messages the day after winning a race that he was supposed to have lost as part of a race-fixing plot, a court heard on Monday.

The conspirators behind the plot calculated that his victory on Daring Aim at Newmarket had cost them £138,000, an Old Bailey jury was told.

But Fallon told Philip Sherkle, the alleged middleman in the scheme, how he feared: "They are watching me."

Fallon rode Daring Aim, which was owned by the Queen, to victory in the 6.15pm at Newmarket on July 23 2004.

JonathanCaplan QC, prosecuting, told jurors at Fallon's trial on race-fixing charges that the next day there followed a "revealing set of text messages" between the jockey and Sherkle.

Sherkle was allegedly the intermediary between Fallon and businessman Miles Rodgers, said to be at the centre of the conspiracy.

At 11.08am, Fallon texted to Sherkle: "Only this phone to use."
One minute later, Fallon wrote: "I will call you when I can."

At 12.17pm, Sherkle texted Fallon: "If u don't speak to me now I won't be able to help you."

Then at 12.22pm, Fallon replied: "They will take my licences off me if they drift like that last night. They are watching me."

Ten minutes later he wrote: "I will call you in 10 minutes."

There were two other texts to and from Sherkle found in Fallon's mobile, Mr Caplan told the jury.

One was sent at 7.17pm on July 27, from Sherkle.

"I am away weds morning just text as normal make sure u do please I don't want any grief from them when I get back thanks. hope u have a good week"

An undated message from Fallon to Sherkle read: "no I can't chance it".
Old 10-08-2007, 02:47 PM
The Curragh

The more and more i read, the more i think he is guilty. I didn't think Fallon was this stupid and/or greedy....... maybe i was wrong.

What do you think, mmsc?

I know you really like him, but you must admit that this evidence is shocking.