Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Saratoga

From his diary...

http://www.xcellent.co.nz/diary.page

Monday, June 23, 2008
Hi fans. Yes, it's me Stanley, not typing as well as before but finally able to put hoof to keyboard after a very long six months. No doubt you are all well aware of the tragic injury I suffered when winning the Trentham Stakes late January, an injury that has finally put paid to my racing career. I was in no state physically nor mentally to write up my diary until now and I've broken the shackles and flicked on the laptop switch after an emotional visit from three of my favourite people last week, my number 1 fan, co-owner and co-trainer Paul, my devoted strapper Chrissie and my jockey Mickey Coleman. It was so good to see them again and to hear their friendly voices and it made me realise that I had to stop sulking about the end of my career and know that there's heaps of people out there who still care about me. Paul's been out a couple of times like he used to when I was rehabbing at Seaton Park from my tendon injuries. But, I hadn't see Chrissie since the day I left Ballymore Stables, about a fortnight after that bad day at Trentham when I limped off the track on three legs after rupturing my left front leg's suspensory ligament on my way to victory. Chrissie cared for me so well afterwards but I understand that she couldn't bring herself to come and see me until I was much better as she didn't want to see me in pain and there's been a fair amount of that over the last six months as my suspensory has calloused and I've had to learn to walk on the leg again which is an odd feeling as my left pastern sinks a lot as the suspension has basically gone. Just like last time, Scotty and his team at Seaton Park have been absolutley marvellous even though I am a cantankerous patient but I suppose they know my quirks by now and have been there to comfort me through the bad times and encourage me to get back on my hooves and walk again. The last time I'd seen Mickey, he'd unsaddled me on the track and Trentham and given me a special hug with a tear in his eye. We both knew it was all over and through the searing pain I remember him walking away ashen-faced and head bowed. He had a tear in his eye when he came to see me last Tuesday but this time he said it was from joy at seeing me again and because I was still around for him to visit. I know what he meant. It was touch and go there for a while and the Ballymore team and the vets feared for the worse for a while but thankfully I pulled through. I've basically been in solitary confinement for five of the last six months and it was great to get back outside a couple of weeks ago when the vets gave me the all clear and I'm now outside weather depenedent in a small paddock and also on the walker for 30 minutes a day as part of my physio and continuing rehab. Paul told me that I'll be shifting to a new home in about three months and that I'm going to be co-star of a special horse show with a real racing legend named Rough Habit. Paul says this "Roughie" was a superstar on the racetrack a few years back and that there's also some other top horses who used to pull carts at the farm as well. Apparently I'll be on show to the public a couple of times a week and that will suit me fine and I've always been a bit of a show off. I'd far rather be strutting my stuff on the racetrack but I suppose this will be better than nothing. It's at a place called Cambridge Lodge and not far from here so all my friends will be able to come and see me lots which is great. Well, it was a great ride while it lasted with a few hiccups along the way but I wouldn't have missed it for quids. Of course it's disappointing that my career was so brief but I'm proud of what I achieved and also for the opportunities I had to travel and meet so many nice people and other top horses. Life will never be the same and I'll sorely miss all of my fans and friends, equine and human alike. Thanks to all of you for coming along for the ride with me, especially Team Ballymore at Matamata. It was all very special but, like all good things, it's come to an end. Farewell and love to all, Stanley the Xcellent racehorse
Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Santa Anita

Xcellent living with Roughie? I HAVE to visit.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_
Xcellent living with Roughie? I HAVE to visit.
Can you tell me about Roughie?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Santa Anita

He was a really tough old horse, carried record weights and won anyway.

74 starts, 29 wins, 16 seconds, 7 thirds, $5,182,791.

He was 100% NZ, but Australians loved him and adopted him as their own as well - especially in Queensland, where he won their Stradbroke Handicap 2 years in a row in the early 90s.

I'm trying to find a video of one of his best wins in Australia, but YouTube doesn't have it. In that race he was pretty much last with a furlong to go under a huge weight but still flew down the outside to win.

He's the same age as me, 22! Here's a recent pic:
Old 06-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Saratoga

Awww, what a sweet old guy.

Thanks ed and yeah, if you ever find a replay I'd love to see it.

Wish Xcellent were going to Living legends but at least he'll have some good company.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Saratoga

ed.....

You need to remember to post pictures!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Santa Anita

I couldn't get close enough to take any. He looked great though, wearing a yellow and green rug.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Santa Anita

Here's one I found:
Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Saratoga

OH! It's so good to see him.

Thanks, ed.