Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Saratoga

Thanks for your insight...

I didn't realize that about the state vets.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin

There were two big name horses this year entered in big races that were scratched and both of these horses would have been allowed to run in the past. I can promise you that both The Pamplemousse and I Want Revenge would have been allowed to run before the Eight Belles incident. But as a direct result of the Eight Belles, the tracks are being much stricter. Although the press reported otherwise, both The Pamplemousse and I Want Revenge were vet scratches. Had the state vet not forced those horses to scratch, they would have both run, even though both horses were injured and had no business running.
What kind of media would not report this? If they are saying it is a trainer scratch and not a vet scratch (which is a vital statistic in handicapping) doesn't it have to be true? Are you saying the vets say "Scratch him or I will?". How is that different from saying "Bench him or he will foul out"?
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
What kind of media would not report this? If they are saying it is a trainer scratch and not a vet scratch (which is a vital statistic in handicapping) doesn't it have to be true? Are you saying the vets say "Scratch him or I will?". How is that different from saying "Bench him or he will foul out"?
Yes, that is correct. They were basically told, "Scratch him or I will." In most situations, it wouldn't be done this way. In most situations, the horses would simply be vet scratches. But these two horses were high profile horses in high profile races. It looked better for everyone involved if these horses were voluntary scratched.

In the real world, I think a good anology would be when an employee is asked to resign, instead of getting fired. When a person resigns, it allows them to save face and it's just a better situation for everyone involved. There's much less controversy when someone resigns.

By the way, the state vets were obviously 100% correct in not allowing either of those horses to run. Both of those horses had pretty serious injuries and will be lucky if they ever make it back to the races again.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 07-08-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Morris Park

Default state vets

I have been an examining veterinarian for the state for 21 years. It is not an easy job. I have made "unpopular" decisions and taken horses out of big races and been yelled at, and worse.

Some of the horses have come back and worked and were found to be OK, but most were not. I would rather be wrong a thousand times and scratch a horse that turns out to be OK than just one time where I let the horse run even if I thought there was a problem.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Gulfstream Park

That is wonderful to hear..I can only hope that this is the way all examining vets feel about their responsibilites.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:42 PM
The Curragh

Eye Wonder.....5th @ LS....broke down in stretch.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Churchill Downs

Remember up at Saratoga a few years ago when Bailey essentially scratched Noble Causeway from the Jim Dandy because "he didn't feel right"? The trainer (was it Pletcher or Zito? somebody high profile) was furious and wheeled him back a week later in an allowance with a new rider. Horse bore out in the first turn and came back lame. He survived to stand at stud, but the whole incident made me feel more kindly towards Bailey than I usually did.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Remember up at Saratoga a few years ago when Bailey essentially scratched Noble Causeway from the Jim Dandy because "he didn't feel right"? The trainer (was it Pletcher or Zito? somebody high profile) was furious and wheeled him back a week later in an allowance with a new rider. Horse bore out in the first turn and came back lame. He survived to stand at stud, but the whole incident made me feel more kindly towards Bailey than I usually did.
Zito
Old 07-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
Yes, Zito was a little annoyed at Bailey but the guy who was really furious at Bailey was the owner. I think he actually wanted to take Bailey to the stewards. Then as you said the horse came back a couple weeks later with Ramon Dominguez and he pulled up.

I remember about 20 years ago Burt Bacharach had a stakes filly that was put on the vet's list. Bacharach was furious. He berated the track vet publicly and said there was nothing wrong with the horse and that the horse would prove she was sound in her next workout. She did have a fast workout but was never seen again after that.

In these types of cases, it is rare that the owner will apologize to the vet when it turns out that the vet was right.

When a competent track vet or a jockey thinks that a horse is off, they are right 99% of the time.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 07-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfer33
Eye Wonder.....5th @ LS....broke down in stretch.
Can't find anything... sorry.

9 year old Siphon's Glory, at Mountaineer yesterday...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...071009USA3.pdf

Greedy Way and Lanie's Way, HP yesterday (R2 and 3)...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...L071009USA.pdf

Equine Beauty, R5 @ Ellis today...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...071109USA5.pdf
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Les Bois

Greedy Way is still touch and go - serious suspensory injury.

Lanie's Way was put down. Hind suspensory apparatus.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Saratoga

Dawn Before Dawn...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...090709USA3.pdf
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 PM
Saratoga

Baron Von Tap, at Calder on Saturday.

I like this guy. Hope he's okay.

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...01009USA10.pdf
Old 10-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Saratoga

Cash's Count and Evansleadingthewy, Race 6 at Mountaineer on Tuesday...

http://drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesIndex...=20091027&RN=6
Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Saratoga

Out Of Gwedda, at Delta Downs...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...111909USA2.pdf
Old 12-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Saratoga

Sam P, in the Prairie Bayou yesterday...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...21209USA10.pdf
Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Randwyck

Luhuk's Dancer, at Philadelphia Park

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...121109USA3.pdf
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Sam P, in the Prairie Bayou yesterday...

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart...21209USA10.pdf
Just off the phone with Buff Bradley. Sam P. is fine.

Borel was being cautious after Sam took a couple funky steps after the wire. Came home to Churchill later and was 100%. Same this morning. State vet at Turfway yesterday, Buff and state vet (this morning) all have been over him. He jogged today for the vet and was totally OK. He will be monitored closely in case anything develops but cooled out normal last night and is moving like there is nothing wrong.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Saratoga

That's really good news, Steve... thanks for checking on him.

Duvalier... I've looked around a little for Luhuk's Dancer but can't find anything so, hopefully, no news is good news. I'll post if i hear or see anything.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
5'8".. but all man!

MMSC, still nothing on my girl Sierra Sweetie?