Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Holy crap, how do you people still not understand this?

We don't think she sucks. We think she's awesome, which is what makes her campaign even more disappointing and infuriating. She's not being allowed to prove herself and her greatness. One challenging race a year isn't acceptable for a supposed all-time great. We get sick of hearing about her incredible accomplishments when she's not doing anything historically significant except extending a winning streak that no one with a brain cares about. If she's capable of more, they should show it. She's going to go down in the history books as the biggest 'what if' horse whose career wasn't ended early.

This straw man argument about how anyone who isn't satisfied with these monotonous life-and-death victories over claimers automatically must think she's awful, it has to go. She's a beast, and she deserves applause. But stop telling me how legendary she is, when she's never allowed to prove it against top competition.
I'm not putting you in the category of the people who don't think she's great. You have been clear that you think she's great and you would like to see her in tougher races. I can see your point. I'm not arguing your point. I'm arguing with the people that are saying she must not be that good because she's beating mediocre horses by small margins.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator View Post
The Streak is drivin' the haters crazy.
One more race in So Cal before the BC SO?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I'm not putting you in the category of the people who don't think she's great. You have been clear that you think she's great and you would like to see her in tougher races. I can see your point. I'm not arguing your point. I'm arguing with the people that are saying she must not be that good because she's beating mediocre horses by small margins.
And I think that there are far fewer of those people than you are insinuating. Most people on here, I'd say, are in my camp.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I'm arguing with the people that are saying she must not be that good because she's beating mediocre horses by small margins.
Ok, She's clearly better than Secreatariat and Spectacular Bid? Is that better, or do I have to go way further and say that Pepper's Pride is also better than those two?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Idlewild Airport

The truth is we will never know how good she is. I think we have to come to grips with that. As a board family
Old 08-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
If there is more in her tank why not use it? There is no shame in losing a race once in a while FFS! If she's really the best then run against the best and there would be no argument.Yeesh! One great race out of 17, cool!, and I'm far from a hater but get real. maggots, yea right. I love the horse but you are all nuts.
She apparently did not ship great when she went to Oaklawn this year. The trip knocked her out and she lost weight. Knowing that, why would they want to ship her again this year before they ship her to Kentucky in November for the BC Classic? Why would they want to knock her out before the big race?

All horses are different. Some horses handle shipping really well and others don't. Going into this year, I think they were planning on shipping quite a bit this year. But since she didn't handle it particulary well, they're not going to do it again before the BC Classic. I guess there is a small chance that they will ship her for her final prep but I would say the odds are against it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
Ok, She's clearly better than Secreatariat and Spectacular Bid? Is that better, or do I have to go way further and say that Pepper's Pride is also better than those two?
Who are you argung with? I didn't hear anyone say that she is better than Secretariat or Spectacular Bid.

The Pepper's Pride argument is a joke. How can you compare a mare that's won 16 graded stakes races in a row including the BC Classic to a mare that was runing against New Mexico breds? It's absurd.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Coach Pants

Was this race shown live on the major networks or ESPN?

No?

I wonder why. Maybe it's because true sports fans don't fall for exhibitions for filthy rich cowards to show off their "SUPER HORSE." They'd rather watch poker or bowling. At least in those sports you don't see the stars ducking each other on a regular basis.

It was fitting SHEriffs was wearing pink today.

Now continue fawning over this horse who barely beat nothing.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Who are you argung with? I didn't hear anyone say that she is better than Secretariat or Spectacular Bid.

The Pepper's Pride argument is a joke. How can you compare a mare that's won 16 graded stakes races in a row including the BC Classic to a mare that was runing against New Mexico breds? It's absurd.
see? now you know how we feel. It's that simple.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Holy crap, how do you people still not understand this?

We don't think she sucks. We think she's awesome, which is what makes her campaign even more disappointing and infuriating. She's not being allowed to prove herself and her greatness. One challenging race a year isn't acceptable for a supposed all-time great. We get sick of hearing about her incredible accomplishments when she's not doing anything historically significant except extending a winning streak that no one with a brain cares about. If she's capable of more, they should show it. She's going to go down in the history books as the biggest 'what if' horse whose career wasn't ended early.

This straw man argument about how anyone who isn't satisfied with these monotonous life-and-death victories over claimers automatically must think she's awful, it has to go. She's a beast, and she deserves applause. But stop telling me how legendary she is, when she's never allowed to prove it against top competition.
Yeah, what he said. It's impossible to question what is a history of races against lesser competition without some of these jacks thinking you believe she sucks and taking offense to it. Clearly this is not the case. However, let's not confuse the ridiculous exhibitions vs allowance horses as legend making efforts. Is anyone seriously more impressed today by Zenyatta than Blame? No contest.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
The truth is we will never know how good she is. I think we have to come to grips with that. As a board family
We will see how she runs in the BC Classic this year. That should give people a better idea.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Oriental Park

Whats the most interesting thing about her PP's, other than being unbeaten, is that the pace calls of her races. I would imagine without looking 15 of the 18 have had below par pace calls, to be a closer into that dynamic is pretty amazing.

The poly crap junk just makes winning that much more of a crap shoot, what did drugs say the routing favorites have done on it?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Idlewild Airport

The Shirreffs 3 calls a day to TVG lately about whether he will run or not is grotesque. I hope he never wins another race.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
We will see how she runs in the BC Classic this year. That should give people a better idea.
agreed but I think she will run in the Distaff
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
The Shirreffs 3 calls a day to TVG lately about whether he will run or not is grotesque. I hope he never wins another race.
Why would you blame him? You should blame TVG. They are the ones that keep hounding him every day. It's not his fault.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Why would you blame him? You should blame TVG. They are the ones that keep hounding him every day. It's not his fault.
Dumb argument. And Moss' classless actions at the HOY ceremony last year speak volumes.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Oriental Park

I dont believe Shirreffs has started another horse on the main track this meet....but yea he loves the surface.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
agreed but I think she will run in the Distaff
Why would you possibly think that? There is almost no chance of that. Their goal all year has been the BC Classic. If she's healthy, she'll run in the Classic. If she not healthy, she won't run at all. She's not going to run in the Distaff.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Fairgrounds

Interesting that he would rather run her on a surface he absolutely hates over shipping out of Cali.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Why would you possibly think that? There is almost no chance of that. Their goal all year has been the BC Classic. If she's healthy, she'll run in the Classic. If she not healthy, she won't run at all. She's not going to run in the Distaff.
Lets see her come to Belmont first