Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Is it so bad to lose? I applaud them for running. I wish more horses would run. Why are we as fans of this sport so against horses running? It's not like he had physical issues. It's hard to knock the career he has had. So what he was off the board.
I agree. In the days before the Breeders Cup turned racing into ATMs for guys named Dinny, Stamps and Barry, horses often competed when the did not have the best of it. Weight, surface, weather were all part of the sport. I give them credit for running.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Is it so bad to lose? I applaud them for running. I wish more horses would run. Why are we as fans of this sport so against horses running? It's not like he had physical issues. It's hard to knock the career he has had. So what he was off the board.
No, it's not so bad to lose.

Hey, my favorite horse was Ace who hadn't won since 2004.

Always rooted for him, always played him, and he would humor me and amuse me by having sleepy time halfway through the race(s). Never pissed me off..... it's just how he was. I never minded losing on him.

This though..... he's had a grueling year so hearing what i think are moronic comments about being beaten? Just irritates me. I can't help it.

I played Red Rocks but rooted for Dylan.

Congrats to all who had the winner.

That joke about he's done enough? He really has.....

— — 07Oct07 Lon 12GS G1,772K 9-5 1/12 hd, Youmzain[11/2] 9-5 K Fallon — 128 127
— — 08Sep07 Leo 10GF G1,404K 9-7 1/6 1½L, Duke Of Marmalade[8/15F] 9-0 K Fallon 127 116 126
FULL FIN 21Aug07 Yor 10Gd Cl1 G1,298K 9-5 2/7 1L, Authorized[2/1] 8-11 J Murtagh — 105 128
— — 28Jul07 Asc 12GS Cl1 G1,425K 9-7 1/7 4L, Youmzain[5/4F] 9-7 J Murtagh — 130 131
— — 20Jun07 Asc 10Gd Cl1 G1,211K 9-0 2/6 1¼L, Manduro[2/1] 9-0 C Soumillon — 85 129
— — 27May07 Cur 11GF G1,125K 9-0 2/9 hd, Notnowcato[1/2F] 9-0 J A Heffernan 126 39 127
— — 29Apr07 Lon 11Gd G1,115K 9-2 1/8 2L, Irish Wells[4/9F] 9-2 C Soumillon — 117 125
— — 15Apr07 Cur 10GF L,21K 9-8 1/7 3L, Fracas[8/15F] 9-1 J A Heffernan 126 4 118

I think he's tired now. That sounds stupid, but I do.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
No disgrace in losing.
Agree.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:26 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
For an American it probably doesn't seem to bad, but from a european prospective when you knew he was going to struggle it was a dreadful decision to run the horse after having a long season on ground he hates.

We have seen that he's a proper horse, he didn't need to prove anything to us.

I know you thought i was mad saying he wouldn't run, but that was the opinion of many fans over here and we are all gutted.

As soon as the rain came most people said he wouldn't have a chance of winning.

Losing this race will be in the fore of everyone's mind. It has eclipsed his Arc win for me.

and now we murderers because we kill time
Old 10-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoChanceToDance
It has eclipsed his Arc win for me.
Don't let it.....

That was stunning. Nothing should ruin a memory of something so stunning.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Coach Pants

Maybe it's time for the Euros to get over themselves? Or at the very least don't post today?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Maybe it's time for the Euros to get over themselves? Or at the very least don't post today?

Am I an honorary Euro?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 PM
The Curragh

I'm just annoyed. There was no chance of him going to America if he won the Arc (according to Tabor), that was grand, i was happy he was going to sign off with a win. Then all of a sudden he's going to America. Mood? unsure, despite the firm ground that was back then. Definitley going to run in the BC Turf...... mood? Surprised.

Rain f'ing it down over 24 hours. He can't run surely? surely they won't risk him? if they do he has no chance.

He runs.......... (i'm cursing)

I'm annoyed because there was no reason to run. Our best turf horse and he gets stuffed because of a stupid decision.

As a fan, i like watching the horses run, too, but there is a line and in my opinion Coolmore went way over that line.

I can just imagine Aidan saying "in hindsight we shouldn't have run"

Two runs in America, and two huge defeats, he won't get much attention for the american breeding market.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat

Am I an honorary Euro?
Like Gwyneth Paltrow?
Old 10-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Coach Pants

I think Coolmore and Conan O'Brien should be applauded for running him. They were true sportsmen today.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
For an American it probably doesn't seem to bad, but from a european prospective when you knew he was going to struggle it was a dreadful decision to run the horse after having a long season on ground he hates.

We have seen that he's a proper horse, he didn't need to prove anything to us.

I know you thought i was mad saying he wouldn't run, but that was the opinion of many fans over here and we are all gutted.

As soon as the rain came most people said he wouldn't have a chance of winning.

Losing this race will be in the fore of everyone's mind. It has eclipsed his Arc win for me.
how would it have been better if he was withdrawn or didn't even come over?
aren't we just talking about pride here? sure he was up against it, but he gave it a shot. i don't see how it diminishes him. there is no precedent for being able to pull off that double.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:41 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Maybe i should get over myself. Maybe i'm very upset, like anyone would be when their apparent main chance gets stuffed in a race he had the ability to win in hand.

Yes, i'm probably going OTT, but this has been a very depressing BC for us. Just like it would be for you if a euro wins the classic.

Old 10-27-2007, 04:48 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
how would it have been better if he was withdrawn or didn't even come over?
aren't we just talking about pride here? sure he was up against it, but he gave it a shot. i don't see how it diminishes him. there is no precedent for being able to pull off that double.
He would have at least gone out on a winning note with a great Arc win. He has had a very long season, was there any need to run him? I can't think of a single reason to run him.

You know when you are pretty sure a horse doesn't have a chance you just hope he/she doesn't run (rather like many Americans were thinking with After Market today), it is very disappointing to see him run and get humiliated.

He shouldn't have been sent over there after such a hard season.

But hey, they did..... fair play to them, but i think it was the wrong decision.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I'm just annoyed. There was no chance of him going to America if he won the Arc (according to Tabor), that was grand, i was happy he was going to sign off with a win. Then all of a sudden he's going to America. Mood? unsure, despite the firm ground that was back then. Definitley going to run in the BC Turf...... mood? Surprised.

Rain f'ing it down over 24 hours. He can't run surely? surely they won't risk him? if they do he has no chance.

He runs.......... (i'm cursing)

I'm annoyed because there was no reason to run. Our best turf horse and he gets stuffed because of a stupid decision.

As a fan, i like watching the horses run, too, but there is a line and in my opinion Coolmore went way over that line.

I can just imagine Aidan saying "in hindsight we shouldn't have run"

Two runs in America, and two huge defeats, he won't get much attention for the american breeding market.
He wasn't getting much attention if he won by 10
Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Maybe i should get over myself. Maybe i'm very upset, like anyone would be when their apparent main chance gets stuffed in a race he had the ability to win in hand.

Yes, i'm probably going OTT, but this has been a very depressing BC for us. Just like it would be for you if a euro wins the classic.
Yeah I would be so depressed if we got beat by the euros.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

I don't give a crap what continent horses come from, and I don't think most of us do. The classic winner last year wasn't an American horse, and I think the people that had him on their tickets were just as happy as they would have been if he was an "American" horse. Cheering for horses based solely on what contintent they come from doesn't make sense to me.
We are losing our focus here. This was not an American day, or a European day.
It was GPK's day.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

hey kev, who was that we were getting grief from about english channel a few weeks back??? glad the old boy showed them all his heels today.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He wasn't getting much attention if he won by 10
i was going to say essentially the same thing..

dylan loses nothing in his defeat today, any race fan with an ounce of knowledge would know what he was up against. his arc is still quite a feat, and he's still quite the horse. there should be more like him, run them, let them try!! better than sitting in the barn wondering.

coolmore did just fine, running their top hope in the turf, and trying again in the classic with george. it didn't work out, but it certainly wouldn't work out if you don't run them at all.

besides, everyone still knows about giants causeway coming oh so close, and it has done him a world of good to have tried.
rewards are very small when there is NO risk involved. dylan is still a champ. glad he came over to put on a show.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:50 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i was going to say essentially the same thing..

dylan loses nothing in his defeat today, any race fan with an ounce of knowledge would know what he was up against. his arc is still quite a feat, and he's still quite the horse. there should be more like him, run them, let them try!! better than sitting in the barn wondering.

coolmore did just fine, running their top hope in the turf, and trying again in the classic with george. it didn't work out, but it certainly wouldn't work out if you don't run them at all.

besides, everyone still knows about giants causeway coming oh so close, and it has done him a world of good to have tried.
rewards are very small when there is NO risk involved. dylan is still a champ. glad he came over to put on a show.
I suppose you're right. I just didn't see any reason for running him. From a general fans point of view it was good to see him run, but for a european Dylan Thomas fan i'm not convinced it was the best thing. Well, i certainly didn't think so.

He had proved all he had to prove, and running here was only an after thought, anyway.

I would have preferred to see him bow out with a win, but you can't have everything.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Kev might get fired for yelling so loud, AT WORK, and then calling me.

I was already at the OTB when I called you. I was able to sneak out early.