Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I'm surprised by the response Coach. Being one turn, I don't think he is impossible as he is a nice horse, just been mismanaged
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav View Post
I'm surprised by the response Coach. Being one turn, I don't think he is impossible as he is a nice horse, just been mismanaged
I'll probably be wrong but tossing most of the horses on the Keeneland main is my strategy.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Havre de Grace

Everybody's all over Crown of Thorns' nuts for the Dirt MIle and he hasn't won a race since Bush was in office. Aikenite fits just fine, his one-turn races have been A-OK since the Holy Bull.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Mine that Bird ran an ok race in the Kentucky Derby. Those two will be turding around the back of the pack in this one and make absolutely no impact whatsoever.
That's not really a fair comparison. Aikenite just equaled a track record in an impressive ALW win Friday which earned a 97 Beyer. He's Churchill based and makes as much sense as an inclusion in the D/Mile as anyone else.

Why not run? He's obviously doing well. We can't have it both ways... By that I mean we criticize when connections don't run their horse but simultaneously criticize when they DO run them. You run them when they're 'doing good'..
Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
That's not really a fair comparison. Aikenite just equaled a track record in an impressive ALW win Friday which earned a 97 Beyer. He's Churchill based and makes as much sense as an inclusion in the D/Mile as anyone else.

Why not run? He's obviously doing well. We can't have it both ways... By that I mean we criticize when connections don't run their horse but simultaneously criticize when they DO run them. You run them when they're 'doing good'..
This is fair. I just don't understand his management this entire year from turf experiments to the constant stretchouts....that's all.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35 View Post
This is fair. I just don't understand his management this entire year from turf experiments to the constant stretchouts....that's all.
I agree with this for sure, he's been horribly mis-managed. You would have thought he made it clear after the Derby Trial and ALW win at Belmont in June that a one-turn mile is his game but no, another route and two turf races were on tap next!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM
The Curragh

Quote:

I'm not saying don't run them. I don't think anyone wants fields of 8 or 9 horses in these races. I'm just amazed that horses like these can even get into the gate at the "World Championships".
Old 10-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Everybody's all over Crown of Thorns' nuts for the Dirt MIle and he hasn't won a race since Bush was in office. Aikenite fits just fine, his one-turn races have been A-OK since the Holy Bull.
Funny, I said that Aikenite was best making a late run on one turn in the spring and got argued with....
Old 10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
I'm not saying don't run them. I don't think anyone wants fields of 8 or 9 horses in these races. I'm just amazed that horses like these can even get into the gate at the "World Championships".
This just in, modern day horses suck.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Idlewild Airport

Due Date a sleeper with a chance. Peaking at the right time.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Funny, I said that Aikenite was best making a late run on one turn in the spring and got argued with....
They argue with you cause you're a gal and fun to rile...

(By the way.. I thought of you and were sure you were swooning with glee from the really good Juddmonte pedigree piece the other day in TDN..)
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Mine that Bird ran an ok race in the Kentucky Derby. Those two will be turding around the back of the pack in this one and make absolutely no impact whatsoever.
Bold.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Del Mar

I give Aikenite a shot to at least hit the board in the mile.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Flemington

Quote:
They argue with you cause you're a gal and fun to rile...

(By the way.. I thought of you and were sure you were swooning with glee from the really good Juddmonte pedigree piece the other day in TDN..)
I intended to do a quick scan of that issue because I was really busy, but a certain name stuck out to me like it was in neon lights and had me reading more of the article than I had planned.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants View Post
I'll probably be wrong but tossing most of the horses on the Keeneland main is my strategy.
It isn't a bad strategy, I think horses that have a bad line off racing there might be decent plays off prior form, the track is like no other right now.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Fairgrounds

Default Mike Smith to ride Mine That Bird

Mike Smith will ride 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird in the Nov. 6 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile at Churchill Downs, trainer D. Wayne Lukas said Wednesday morning.

Lukas said that if the Dirt Mile attracts more than the capacity 14 entrants and Mine That Bird is not selected for the field, he could run in the $100,000 Ack Ack at 1 1/16 miles on the Nov. 5 undercard.

Lukas said he also plans to run Tidal Pool in the Nov. 5 Filly & Mare Sprint and Hamazing Destiny in the Nov. 6 Sprint. Smith will ride Tidal Pool, and Terry Thompson will be on Hamazing Destiny.

http://www.courier-journal.com/artic...TS08/310200083
Old 10-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
Mike Smith will ride 2009 Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird in the Nov. 6 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile at Churchill Downs, trainer D. Wayne Lukas said Wednesday morning.

Lukas said that if the Dirt Mile attracts more than the capacity 14 entrants and Mine That Bird is not selected for the field, he could run in the $100,000 Ack Ack at 1 1/16 miles on the Nov. 5 undercard.

Lukas said he also plans to run Tidal Pool in the Nov. 5 Filly & Mare Sprint and Hamazing Destiny in the Nov. 6 Sprint. Smith will ride Tidal Pool, and Terry Thompson will be on Hamazing Destiny.

Is the Sprint gonna be allowed to have more than 14 runners? Right now my count is at 16
Old 10-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Fairgrounds

Gary Yunt (CD): Ron Anderson, agent for Garrett Gomez, has four definite rides lined up for this year’s World Championships, headlined by Claiborne Farm and Adele Dilschneider’s Blame in the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic. Other confirmed Gomez mounts include Alcomo (BRZ) in the Marathon, More Than Real in the Juvenile Fillies Turf and Jessica Is Back for the Filly & Mare Sprint.

Atoned (Marathon) is one of five confirmed Breeders’ Cup mounts for Robby Albarado, according to his agent, Lenny Pike. Other Albarado mounts are First Dude (Classic), Acoma (Ladies’ Classic), Central City (Turf Sprint) and Court Vision (Turf Mile).
Old 10-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post

Excellent news that Hamazing Destiny is running in the Sprint. This is your Dancing in Silks this year. Horse thrives at Churchill Downs at the 6F trip, is as fast as anyone in this race if he brings his "A" race, and will be a square price, when there is no clear cut favorite. Yeah I am a Lukas fan, and Tidal Pool needs an Allowance race to get some confidence back, but I think Hamazing Destiny is a very live longshot this year in the Sprint.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Aqueduct

[DRF]

The West Point Thoroughbreds syndicate and trainer Craig Dollase have two candidates for the Breeders’ Cup – Awesome Gem in the Dirt Mile and Tropic Storm in the Turf Sprint.