Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
Dude it was freezing in Chicago, was it colder?
50 is freezing??
Old 08-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
50 is freezing??
YES!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
How is it a neutral site for the midwest horses based there?
Since the majority of the American horses racing in any given BC are based in New York/South Florida or California for most of the year, I'd say it is as neutral as we are going to get while keeping it on real dirt. The Midwest horses have their supporters, but the real rivalry is East Coast v. West Coast.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
50 is freezing??
It felt colder than 50 sitting in bleachers on the clubhouse turn.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
50 is freezing??

what was the wind chill factor though?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuthg
never been to the Fairgrounds, but would that be a workable spot?
The grandstand at Fairgrounds is quite possibly, the worst place to watch a horse race in North America. The structure of the windows literally makes it impossible to follow - I was there for two days in December and watched every race on TV - that being said, the gumbo was delicious.

Turf course is notoriously awful, too. Little parking...

No chance.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd
what was the wind chill factor though?
Last October it was 60 and sunny here. While I agree it is a crapshoot, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arlington to get the BC within the coming years, the last couple years they have been setting up the schedule to try and go for it.

Cold is like 25 degrees, anything above that and things are fine.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings
The grandstand at Fairgrounds is quite possibly, the worst place to watch a horse race in North America. The structure of the windows literally makes it impossible to follow - I was there for two days in December and watched every race on TV - that being said, the gumbo was delicious.

Turf course is notoriously awful, too. Little parking...

No chance.
The facility is small, so seating would have to be supplemented by tents and bleachers. The turf course gets chewed up by the end of the meet, but it would be fine in early in November.

There are many pluses to holding it at Fair Grounds, such as the weather would be great, the surfaces are highly thought of by many horsemen, and very few cities are as capable of hosting major events (Super Bowls, BCS National Championships, Final Fours, and Mardi Gras) as New Orleans is.

There is little parking, but if the Fair Grounds and surrounding streets can handle the crush of 160,000 people like it did on a Jazz Fest day in 2001, it can handle the BC crowd.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Idlewild Airport

Hialeah.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
The facility is small, so seating would have to be supplemented by tents and bleachers. The turf course gets chewed up by the end of the meet, but it would be fine in early in November.

There are many pluses to holding it at Fair Grounds, such as the weather would be great, the surfaces are highly thought of by many horsemen, and very few cities are as capable of hosting major events (Super Bowls, BCS National Championships, Final Fours, and Mardi Gras) as New Orleans is.

There is little parking, but if the Fair Grounds and surrounding streets can handle the crush of 160,000 people like it did on a Jazz Fest day in 2001, it can handle the BC crowd.
One thing I know about parking in the Big Easy, if you have $20, somebody will let you park in their driveway/business.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfer33
One thing I know about parking in the Big Easy, if you have $20, somebody will let you park in their driveway/business.
Just make sure they actually own the building/business before you hand over your money.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 PM
The Curragh

Right!
Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 AM
Del Mar

Thistledown.....
Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Lincoln Fields

Quote:
Last October it was 60 and sunny here. While I agree it is a crapshoot, I wouldn't be surprised to see Arlington to get the BC within the coming years, the last couple years they have been setting up the schedule to try and go for it.

Cold is like 25 degrees, anything above that and things are fine.

I agree, and that is my point about having the Breeders Cup at Saratoga, when bringing up Chicago. the weather is just not a factor. The end of October begininng of Nov. the temp's are cooler sure, but everyone acts like its mid Feb. which it is not the case.

I lived in that region and I live in Boston, the weather should not be the reason not to have it in Saratoga that time of year

Last edited by boswd : 08-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I thought we were getting rid of the Breeders Cup?
As soon as Santa Anita "The Great Race Place" closes it's toast. Dirt or no dirt it's the perfect place.