Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

wait...you ask what is a mutual fund. i suggest an advisor...and i'm the one making a stupid comment??

go online, and do some research. not here, on financial sites.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Saratoga

stop it!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
wait...you ask what is a mutual fund. i suggest an advisor...and i'm the one making a stupid comment??

When I started the thread people discussed it with me, if you have a problem then just dont comment, right?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post

Told ya.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Randwyck

I think mutual funds are probably the safest place right now. You're not putting all your eggs in one basket, and you're paying someone to be the guardian of your funds.

A place to start -

http://www.essortment.com/all/howtoinvestmo_rguq.htm

Also, google "how to invest in mutual funds", a myriad of links will pop up.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Doreen View Post
I think mutual funds are probably the safest place right now. You're not putting all your eggs in one basket, and you're paying someone to be the guardian of your funds.

A place to start -

http://www.essortment.com/all/howtoinvestmo_rguq.htm

Also, google "how to invest in mutual funds", a myriad of links will pop up.
those fees add up the doreen , almost as bad as the takeout
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678 View Post
Gales help me then bro, FOR REAL. I tryed helping you, Toga... Remember?
I can afford $300 a month and not have to cut anything, $500 a month if needed... Is that not enough?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
no loads don't.

"Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary.” Cecil Beaton
Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Gales help me then bro, FOR REAL. I tryed helping you, Toga... Remember?
I can afford $300 a month and not have to cut anything, $500 a month if needed... Is that not enough?

if you are really going to put money into mutual funds for a peroid of time say 10 , 20 , 30 yrs , go with the index funds

the index funds have the lowest costs and over time outperform 95 % of all the mutual funds

over the course of 10 , 20 , 30 yrs , if you can save money by not paying froned end fees , 12b1 fees and early withdrawl fees you will outperfom 95 % of all the mutual funds out there

there are too many average people out there managing money , stick with a plain vanilla index fund and laugh all the way to the bank in 30 yrs
Old 11-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
no loads don't.
they get you with the 12b-1 fees doreen
Old 11-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
if you are really going to put money into mutual funds for a peroid of time say 10 , 20 , 30 yrs , go with the index funds

the index funds have the lowest costs and over time outperform 95 % of all the mutual funds

over the course of 10 , 20 , 30 yrs , if you can save money by not paying froned end fees , 12b1 fees and early withdrawl fees you will outperfom 95 % of all the mutual funds out there

there are too many average people out there managing money , stick with a plain vanilla index fund and laugh all the way to the bank in 30 yrs
Do you need a set amount up front, is $300 a month simply not enough.... If you wanna PM me, thats cool.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Do you need a set amount up front, is $300 a month simply not enough.... If you wanna PM me, thats cool.
i'll check , there are some where you can get in cheap and don't need $3k
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Flemington

Quote:
i'll check , there are some where you can get in cheap and don't need $3k
Put him into a Dividend reinvestment program.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Put him into a Dividend reinvestment program.
yup , KO or PEP would probably be good for Joe

simple porduct , leader in the field , and the product gets used over and over again
Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Flemington

Quote:
yup , KO or PEP would probably be good for Joe

simple porduct , leader in the field , and the product gets used over and over again
Seriously, no fees, deal with computershare or a company like that and he can buy as much as he wants.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
Seriously, no fees, deal with computershare or a company like that and he can buy as much as he wants.
i agree

can't think of better drip out there than KO

and he can buy the product at the track or otb

it's gotta a decent yield right now as well that will only grow over time for him
Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
they get you with the 12b-1 fees doreen
Fine! But just how is a person who isn't investment savvy going to go about investing without paying someone a fee for their services? I'd say no-loads are the safest and the least costly in fees. Perhaps it might be best to save whatever one can afford a month and invest a lump sum a couple times a year. Buy a no penalty CD once a month. The interest is crap, but it's better than a savings account.

There is so little anymore on which to make money - real estate investing is not for the faint of heart, stocks are scary, money market, CD's, savings accounts pay little. And, IRS will be stepping in come the first of 2012 to monitor precious metal buying and selling above $600 through coin dealers.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Fine! But just how is a person who isn't investment savvy going to go about investing without paying someone a fee for their services? I'd say no-loads are the safest and the least costly in fees. Perhaps it might be best to save whatever one can afford a month and invest a lump sum a couple times a year. Buy a no penalty CD once a month. The interest is crap, but it's better than a savings account.

There is so little anymore on which to make money - real estate investing is not for the faint of heart, stocks are scary, money market, CD's, savings accounts pay little. And, IRS will be stepping in come the first of 2012 to monitor precious metal buying and selling above $600 through coin dealers.
Are you saying I should not do stocks and continue to bet horses and lose my money every single day since Saratoga?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

as matt said doreen , drips , drips , are pretty good , simple one's like ko and pep , companies that are going to be here in 30 + yrs
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Are you saying I should not do stocks and continue to bet horses and lose my money every single day since Saratoga?
If you feel comfortable investing in individual stocks on your own, go for it.

If you're losing money betting the ponies, don't do it - that's a savings right there.

You asked for help. Was just trying to help. I will leave the discussion to the experts.