Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
1. Dubai- A legitimate question mark
2. No Frankie- A blessing in a dirt race
3. Lost to Regal Ransom (which isn't a huge negative to me)- A non-issue given the track
4. At least five American horses that look better- A debatable opinion
5. Beaten no one- A dangerous argument but who has I Want Revenge beaten?

NT
Desert Party is by far their best proposition so far, and with Regal Ransom now going, and likely serving as a pace setup, he becomes more appealing.

His UAE Derby was a really strong effort. And he has 2-year-old form. One of my concerns though is the fact many wise-guy 'cappers are talking him up a bit, which is tricky, because he might get more action than we think.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
Phil, I have too many bad memories of Johannesburg to bet the Euro's in this type of race, if it were turf I would consider. It's hard to know what to make of them, I guess at a price you can't go wrong.
Neither Desert Party or Regal Ransom have started on turf? And they're not Euros?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew
1. Dubai
2. No Frankie
3. Lost to Regal Ransom (which isn't a huge negative to me)
4. At least five American horses that look better
5. Beaten no one
1. Understood
2. Doesn't matter
3. Closed better than anyone into the bias (Well Armed sucks)
4. Debatable
5. BS... Who have any of them beaten? They are a bunch of unproven three-year-olds. The "Who Did He Beat" defense has to come after a horse has had a few campaigns.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
The 2000 Guineas always seems to be on the same day as the Derby so Frankie usually stays in Newmarket...

I like Desert Party too, even more so if Regal Ransom takes his place in the field..

I just hope he works a bit better than he did in the leadup to the UAE Derby when he seemed to be very quiet / not himself..
I didn't think he could possibly lose DWC night, like you I like him much more than Regal Ransom if I had to choose between the two.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
Neither Desert Party or Regal Ransom have started on turf? And they're not Euros?
Travis, what I mean't to say is I give extra credence when European based horses come over for turf races, not dirt races. You are correct they are American horses, we shouldn't refer to them as European horses just because they were bought by Godolphin.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
1. Understood
2. Doesn't matter
4. Debatable
5. BS... Who have any of them beaten? They are a bunch of unproven three-year-olds. The "Who Did He Beat" defense has to come after a horse has had a few campaigns.
Pioneerof the Nile has beaten everyone he has faced since December, including...

-The winner of the Gotham, Wood, and probably Derby fave, I Want Revenge.

-The winner of the Arkansas Derby, Papa Clem.

-The winner of the El Camino Real Derby and the California Derby, Chocolate Candy.

-Bittel Road.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
1. Understood
2. Doesn't matter
4. Debatable
...and all I'm doing is explaining why he isn't among the favorites at the moment. I'm not saying I don't think he has a chance. I need to clear this up before Stonegossard gets confused and thinks I'm predicting DP will finish last.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Santa Anita

Another positive if you want to look at it is that Desert Party has run 3 times in Dubai. I believe that Godolphin's main Derby hopes usually raced either once or twice in Dubai before running in the Derby. You could at least argue Desert Party has the race conditioning that you seem to need (debatable point in itself!)

He has also won on dirt unlike some other candidates!

#Grand
Old 04-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
...and all I'm doing is explaining why he isn't among the favorites at the moment. I'm not saying I don't think he has a chance. I need to clear this up before Stonegossard gets confused and thinks I'm predicting DP will finish last.
You just dont know when to shut your pie hole do you. I can bury you again if you like. You make it very easy.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Pioneerof the Nile has beaten everyone he has faced since December, including...

-The winner of the El Camino Real Derby and the California Derby, Chocolate Candy.

-Bittel Road.

whoopie

you're overrating the win by papa in the arkansas. i want revenge won on dirt, and lost on synthetic. how that boosts a horse who has never run on dirt and has only run/won on synthetic, heading into a dirt race, i don't know.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:

-Bittel Road.

Bittle Road?

You left off Lime Rickey as well.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

and friesan fire beat giant oak. i think i have my exacta. the 'who beat a causeway colt' angle. someone write this down.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Dee Tee Stables

but then i'd have to use general quarters....bah
forget it.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonegossard
Bittle Road?

You left off Lime Rickey as well.
Inside joke, dipwad.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Inside joke, dipwad.
Yes, wasn't Bittle Road one of your top Derby prospects going into this year?

Coming from a guy with a blog on Kentuckyderby.com I would expect more.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

But I thought any idiot with a computer could write a blog.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
But I thought any idiot with a computer could write a blog.

Not just any idiot, it has to be a special idiot. I think you have reached that level.

Anyways, please answer the question.

Did you really think coming into this year that Bittle Road was going to be a top Derby contender ?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Not just any idiot, it has to be a special idiot. I think you have reached that level.

Anyways, please answer the question.

Did you really think coming into this year that Bittle Road was going to be a top Derby contender ?
If you had bothered to read the accompanying comments that went with my first Derby Top 20 list, you would know that the list was based on Wynn Future Odds as well as my opinion of each horse's likelihood of Derby victory. At the time, I believe Bittel Road was around 100-1 or something. So, considering he ran a decent 4th in what has proven to be a key race, yes, I thought he was the 4th-best choice for a wager at the time. I also had Big Drama 2nd and Brother Keith 5th.

At the end of the day, there is little doubt that few people here respect my opinion, which does not bother me in the least. Yet according to the poll that was taken in that other thread, more people think you are an idiot than think I am an idiot. How does that make you feel?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

How can you bash a guy for projecting a horse as a contender in January that hasn't progressed? I guess you have a futures ticket that you bought in December on the winner.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
If you had bothered to read the accompanying comments that went with my first Derby Top 20 list, you would know that the list was based on Wynn Future Odds as well as my opinion of each horse's likelihood of Derby victory. At the time, I believe Bittel Road was around 100-1 or something. So, considering he ran a decent 4th in what has proven to be a key race, yes, I thought he was the 4th-best choice for a wager at the time. I also had Big Drama 2nd and Brother Keith 5th.

At the end of the day, there is little doubt that few people here respect my opinion, which does not bother me in the least. Yet according to the poll that was taken in that other thread, more people think you are an idiot than think I am an idiot. How does that make you feel?

Justin, the day I take into consideration the results of a poll on here on how I view myself, is the day I walk over to the beach, continue walking into the ocean and don't stop until I reach Cuba or I drown. Apparently you think it is meaningful though, rather sad.

Bittle Road isn't the worst opinion I have ever heard.....but Brother Keith is. Keep up the good work.

By the love the way you think that poll has anything to do with someone being an idiot. Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong point.

Seriously man....quit bringing me up, it always ends with you making a complete jacka## out of yourself and either going into hiding or putting up the white flag. Frankly, I am getting bored making you look so bad.