Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Arlington Park

Sometimes there are areas and topics where reasonable people could disagree.

This isn't one of them.

Anybody who thinks that ride was bad might want to consider having his or her head (and eyesight) examined. If anything, that ride was extremely good, and was the main reason DoC was able to finish third.

My god, the triple crown season sure brings out some crazy nonsense around here.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
He managed to get to the rail before the 3/16ths pole while starting from post #16.

I absolutely love the way he's ridden the Derby the last two years - going straight to the rail and picking his way through the inside of a 20 horse pack without ever losing momentum.

The problem is that the expected fast pace this year never developed - if it had - he might own the two single best rides in Derby history.
The ride is fine......but I loath this horse in the Belmont, it would be nice if BB lost new week and we can get a full field in the belmont as I want to bet against DoC.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Woodbine

If the plan was to ride the rail, why did the trainer and connections park his ass outside, when they could have chosen inside.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM
Dee Tee Stables

horse finished third, beating 17 in the process, and it's not good enough? their plan worked, his resume will show 'hit the board in the gr 1 ky derby'. i don't know that calvin could have done ANYTHING to improve his finish position.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Calvin's ride was just fine. It was the decision to choose post 16 instead of post 2 that baffles me. If Calvin was just going to the rail like that anyways why the hell would you choose post 16?
This is a really good point. I don't understand the phobia with the inner posts. If you're a longshot, you need luck anyway, so why put yourself in more of a disadvantage of going outside.

DOC was absolutely a contender. He ran 3rd with no pace to close into. 3rd beats 17 others...not too bad.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44
you are not riding Street Sense every Kentucky Derby and the pace won't be 46 and change every year.
the horse is a closer. what do you want. once they go 47 and change its over for him and colnel john. there was no pace the race worked out perfectly for the favorite. what could borel do add wings to the horse. sounds like one of my friends that bets supers and blames the jockey for not coming in 4th. these horses are slow , it never set up.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Del Mar

He's not that kind of closer. . . I've watched the replay a bunch of times and I think that if they had kept him closer it would've been close for second. . .
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Flemington

Bump
Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Goodwood

Nice bump DrugSy.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
The Curragh

This is funny that you found this one. I still stand by my position that he was running for 3rd with that trip, on that horse, in that race,