Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2007, 10:51 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley
I know. Even the dog vaccine is only 75% effective. We treat alot of horses for lyme disease in the northeast. Just figure it's more probable than pregnancy. Easily treated with Doxycycline though.

yeah....my dog has tested positive for it....most likely my horse would too if I bothered to run a test. Ticks are miserable in New England.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
yeah....my dog has tested positive for it....most likely my horse would too if I bothered to run a test. Ticks are miserable in New England.
The vet I work for tested positive 2 weeks ago.
I vaccinate my dogs against it and use Bio-spot on Nikki, the one I hike with. I don't like to use it on my 3 older ones so I just spray them before we go in the woods.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:59 PM
top predator.

Quote:
The vet I work for tested positive 2 weeks ago.
I vaccinate my dogs against it and use Bio-spot on Nikki, the one I hike with. I don't like to use it on my 3 older ones so I just spray them before we go in the woods.
it's pretty ridiculous....I use the revolution spot on and she wears a tick collar taped inside her regular one....and I still pulled fully engorged ticks off her as late as January last year....disgusting.

surprisingly I have had much less of a problem here in KY than I did in VT.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
it's pretty ridiculous....I use the revolution spot on and she wears a tick collar taped inside her regular one....and I still pulled fully engorged ticks off her as late as January last year....disgusting.

surprisingly I have had much less of a problem here in KY than I did in VT.

Do you find we have more deer here than in KY.?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_break
It is pretty ridiculous, but it has happened before in lesser stables. Male horse gets out of stall at night, finds filly in next stall to be in heat, 11months later.......
I will say what we are all thinking, The Green Monkey, the genius horse so smart that has us all fooled that he is not a top Grade 1 winning horse(all part of his master plan, people),and a master at lock picking, got out of his stall and went for a late night stroll!! And in 11months we will see a little green monkey with lots of chrome running the backside of Toga!! Ya know kinda like the Loch Ness Monster, you keep thinking....surely that isnt,,,but maybe it is,,,I am not sure!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:07 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Do you find we have more deer here than in KY.?
definitely where I used to live and work there were more deer...though I saw a couple outin the field this morning on the farm so they are around out here.
but when I lived in KY a few years ago I used to find them on myself all the time...probably has something to do with the weather....cold spell here in the spring and a drought....they just don't seem very active.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
definitely where I used to live and work there were more deer...though I saw a couple outin the field this morning on the farm so they are around out here.
but when I lived in KY a few years ago I used to find them on myself all the time...probably has something to do with the weather....cold spell here in the spring and a drought....they just don't seem very active.

I keep a good supply of Deep Woods Off. It seems to be the only repellant that works. Mostly I spray my clothes and shoes. Seems to help and we have alot of wildlife. Ticks haven't been as bad the last few years up where I live. However the moose population seems to have driven the deer lower down the mountain. I have no idea if that makes a difference.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:14 PM
top predator.

Quote:
I keep a good supply of Deep Woods Off. It seems to be the only repellant that works. Mostly I spray my clothes and shoes. Seems to help and we have alot of wildlife. Ticks haven't been as bad the last few years up where I live. However the moose population seems to have driven the deer lower down the mountain. I have no idea if that makes a difference.
gotta love that 25% DEET.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Whatever works!

Gotta go now. Work tomorrow. Pleasure discussing ticks with you.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
yeah, try putting some of that DEET on a piece of clothing and also pour some into a plastic bag. come back awhile later and enjoy the holes eaten through them.

gotta love it.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Oaklawn

I would love to see Rags and Hurrican Run get together. Does Tabor still have Hurrican Run?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Pimlico

Location: Stuart, Florida - 100 miles north of Miami and on the Atlantic coast (12 miles east of Payson Park )

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
It would be hilarious if some 10,000 claimer got out of his stall at night and did an unsuspecting Rags when no one was looking Improbable I know but..would be funny
I guess that'd be the nightwatchman's fault.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Keeneland

I heard they couldn't find anything wrong with Rags, and she's going to Saratoga to resume training. Anybody?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I heard they couldn't find anything wrong with Rags, and she's going to Saratoga to resume training. Anybody?
Galloped this morning at Belmont and will again tomorrow morning before shipping up.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM
The Curragh

She's going to be short if she goes in the Alabama..it will be the biggest upset of the year. I can feel it.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Goodwood

it's kind of dumb to think she'd never run again because she's too valuable. lawyer ron is most likely worth ALOT more than her.