Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Flemington

He sure has Spanky Fischbein's number.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Do you also eagerly await the arrival of cold sores?
Tremendous!!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Flemington

definitely the laugh of the day!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs11204
thank you, horse has never done a thing wrong, all he does is win, always moves forward, he should be on any and every top 10 list, i can see why not top 5, but 10 for sure
Based on what? As I said earlier, I don't think he is terrible, and I do think he could win the Gotham, but what race of his can you point to as evidence that he is a real Kentucky Derby contender?
I can't think of any.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Coach Pants

If Denis of Cork wins a triple crown race I am retiring from the game.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
He sure has Spanky Fischbein's number.
They're pretty much Affirmed and Alydar for the new millenium.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37VZGLFxXA

taking a look at this public workout for War Pass.. I keep thinking.. "How much bigger than everyone else is War Pass"

I'm sure he looks bigger because he's a lot closer to the camera than everyone else in this race. I doubt he was breathing hard after this.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Churchill Downs

My top 2 are Barrier Reef and Roman Commander
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Oaklawn

I think there are only two horses that would appear on every single Top 10 list right now. That's the way this crop looks.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Oaklawn

Maybe the better question is how many horses have looked as good as War Pass or Pyro? Other than their two performances, every other race has been a big ?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
Maybe the better question is how many horses have looked as good as War Pass or Pyro? Other than their two performances, every other race has been a big ?
Exactly the way that I feel. There are about 25-30 interchangeable horses for the rest of the list.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 03-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
If I went 10 deep, I'd put Giant Moon on it. Certainly above horses like Cool Coal Man, Elysium Fields, and Hey Byrn. Or any of the Z horses.
you think the count fleet was a better field/race then the fountain of youth? or do you give a lot of weight to winning ny-bred restricted stakes? giant moon may turn out to be something, but i think he needs to wade into deeper waters and show something.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Newmarket

Giant Moon would have been trounced in the FOY.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
No, I don't think that the Count Fleet was a better field than the FOY. I do think that Giant Moon is a better horse than what was in the FOY. I agree that he does need to wade into deeper waters as you say but I think that the others do too. So far, every race has been a shallow one.

Really? Based on what.....because you didn't like the FOY field going into the race? Because your jaw dropped when Giant Moon was able to overcome Spanky Fishbein in a stretch duel?

Honestly, I'm trying to get the logic. The Count Fleet field wasn't a better field than the FOY ( which Stevie Wonder could see by the way ) but you think Giant Moon, who had race dynamics in his favor, is better than what was in the FOY? Methinks you are sticking stubbornly to a mediocre preconceived notion about the FOY, one that you thought was justified by the incorrect original times, and are now refusing to acknowledge that the first two finishers ( at least ) ran a decent race. You so want to believe this that you are willing to pretend that a horse that has never run nearly as well as the first two in that race is actually a better horse.

Not a recipe for success at the racetrack. In fact, it's the opposite. We're all wrong a lot going into races....but those that refuse to acknowledge it after races are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

Giant Moon is a nice horse. I don't think those that are buying into his confusing hype around here are really even that familiar with his pps.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Giant Moon would have been trounced in the FOY.

Yup.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:49 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Really? Based on what.....because you didn't like the FOY field going into the race? Because your jaw dropped when Giant Moon was able to overcome Spanky Fishbein in a stretch duel?

Honestly, I'm trying to get the logic. The Count Fleet field wasn't a better field than the FOY ( which Stevie Wonder could see by the way ) but you think Giant Moon, who had race dynamics in his favor, is better than what was in the FOY? Methinks you are sticking stubbornly to a mediocre preconceived notion about the FOY, one that you thought was justified by the incorrect original times, and are now refusing to acknowledge that the first two finishers ( at least ) ran a decent race. You so want to believe this that you are willing to pretend that a horse that has never run nearly as well as the first two in that race is actually a better horse.

Not a recipe for success at the racetrack. In fact, it's the opposite. We're all wrong a lot going into races....but those that refuse to acknowledge it after races are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

Giant Moon is a nice horse. I don't think those that are buying into his confusing hype around here are really even that familiar with his pps.
yeah i didn't get that logic either. the Count Fleet was not as good a field, yet Giant Moon is better than what ran in the FOY? huh?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Jerome Park

If you're actually familiar with all of Giant Moon's races, and still think you have seen something special in him, then I really question your judgement. Was it the gold rail he rode to a narrow victory over Spanky Fishbein two back that caught your eye?

What exactly has Giant Moon shown that you think you have seen something to indicate that he is going to improve by leaps and bounds down the road?

IMO, Giant Moon has benefited from one good set-up after another and is a horse who is actually nowhere near as good as his undefeated record may look to novices. If anything, there is far more evidence that he will regress into relative obscurity than he will move forward to prominence. And, I say this actually hoping I am wrong, as I am a big fan of his trainer and would love to see him get some time in the spotlight and subsequently get the better stock that his supurb training skills warrant.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
You really can't understand how that happens? One horse does not make a field great. The field that Curlin beat in his maiden race at Gulfstream was not better than the Florida Derby field was but Curlin was still better than what ran in the Florida Derby wasn't he?

Curlin won by 17 lengths in a very fast time. Giant Moon beat Spanky Fishbein with the benefit of race dynamics working in his favor.

Nice analogy.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Jerome Park

Saying Giant Moon is ahead of either Cool Coal Man or Elysium Fields on a Derby List is indefensible based on their on track performances. You can say it's " my opinion " and I will tell you unequivicably that it is a bad one.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Jerome Park

I'm selective in bringing reality to your bad opinions. There is only so much time in the day.

It's fine for people to say that they hope certain horses improve, but there aren't 25 " interchangable horses " right now based on accomplishment and on track performance. You have maybe a dozen at the top around the country and then a bunch of guesses. I certainly understand, and agree, that horses can and will improve in the coming months. However, that doesn't make a poor analysis of a horse's actual races defendable.