Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
Funny I got no instructions and I'm a true blue Republcan. Can you post the instructions you got or are you just making this up?
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/...actionmemo.pdf
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
What schools does the federal government run? ( edit: West Point?)

Local governments? Let's see, clean potable water, sewer service, garbage pickup, police and fire protection, snow clearing from roads, and excellent schools in many locations - all little niceties that make life liveable.

Federal? Medicare, Pell grants, veterans hospitals, Centers for Disease Control ...
From the (non-existent) U.S. Department of Education

ED currently administers a budget of $62.6 billion in regular FY 2009 discretionary appropriations and $96.8 billion in discretionary funding provided under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009—and operates programs that touch on every area and level of education.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Arlington Park

this is why moral people don't start wars on a whim.

other people pay the price.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
wow some shocking things in there like having your question and followup prepared and to have facts regarding the Reps voting record. The thing that was outrageus was the instruction to leave protest signs outside if you want to be called on. Heavy, heavy stuff!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Oaklawn

Good evening, Dellinger.

What are your thoughts on the initial subject of this thread, an extremely high suicide rate among our soldiers?

I don't think it's as easily dismissed as "Suicide rates are going up across the board over the last 30 yrs. All walks of life".
Old 08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
From the (non-existent) U.S. Department of Education

ED currently administers a budget of $62.6 billion in regular FY 2009 discretionary appropriations and $96.8 billion in discretionary funding provided under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009—and operates programs that touch on every area and level of education.
That isn't "running schools".

I'm extremely glad of my Clinton-initiated student loan availability (he made changes) that made it possible for me to attend professional school. Payed them back, gladly. US Dept of Ed. rocks. Website: piece of cake to make payments, apply for this and that, etc. Best customer service evah.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-05-2009, 10:52 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Good evening, Dellinger.

What are your thoughts on the initial subject of this thread, an extremely high suicide rate among our soldiers?

I don't think it's as easily dismissed as "Suicide rates are going up across the board over the last 30 yrs. All walks of life".
I think a good portion of troops and probably the majority signed on for reasons other than patriotism or just wantng to be a soilder. They wanted an education or specialized training in a trade. Very few signed on for a career in the military. IMO. When the realty hits they are being shipped off they can't handle the fear. Or while in war they need an easy way out.

Ultimately though I feel it's a disrespect of life that is fueling the increase of suicides across the board. That and selfishness for not thinking of the loved ones left behind to pick up the pieces.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I think a good portion of troops and probably the majority signed on for reasons other than patriotism or just wantng to be a soilder. They wanted an education or specialized training in a trade. Very few signed on for a career in the military. IMO. When the realty hits they are being shipped off they can't handle the fear. Or while in war they need an easy way out.

Ultimately though I feel it's a disrespect of life that is fueling the increase of suicides across the board. That and selfishness for not thinking of the loved ones left behind to pick up the pieces.
your empathy is overwhelming.

you should think about starting your own needless war.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
That isn't "running schools".

I'm extremely glad of my Clinton-initiated student loan availability (he made changes) that made it possible for me to attend professional school. Payed them back, gladly. US Dept of Ed. rocks. Website: piece of cake to make payments, apply for this and that, etc. Best customer service evah.
and this is why you became a Democrat? Or was it the Carter authored, anti-Semitic books you read? By the way Clinton gave you crap. Taxpayers made that loan available, Clinton just took the credit. And since the richest 10% pay the vast majority of taxes it is them you should thank.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
your empathy is overwhelming.

you should think about starting your own needless war.
Maybe allowing the troops to wear makeup would help? Think that was another brilliant Clinton idea. Maybe it's the fact the military wants to ban smoking while the Commander in Chief smokes?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Maybe allowing the troops to wear makeup would help? Think that was another brilliant Clinton idea. Maybe it's the fact the military wants to ban smoking while the Commander in Chief smokes?
i like the fact that you can twist a subject about people serving the country killing themselves into a bank shot about whatever obsessive thought enters your mind.

didn't al gore invent non-smoking gays in the military?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
and this is why you became a Democrat? Or was it the Carter authored, anti-Semitic books you read? By the way Clinton gave you crap. Taxpayers made that loan available, Clinton just took the credit. And since the richest 10% pay the vast majority of taxes it is them you should thank.
Sorry, Dell - I'm still an old-fashioned, conservative, business-oriented Republican.

You've never read a Carter-authored book, so I know you don't have any real clue as to his writings.

Clinton initiated the changes to the student loan program. Not the taxpayers (who got their money back from me, with interest). I didn't vote for him, but I had to thank him for that.

Regarding our soldiers. I don't know how the Gulf wars (the current) compare to Viet Nam regarding troop suicide. That was a terrible time, Viet Nam, watching people come home, changed. I thought I read somewhere that suicides started to increase in the Gulf as soldiers had their tours extended, again and again, with no end in sight; and were over there with no clear idea of what the hell they were fighting for.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
i like the fact that you can twist a subject about people serving the country killing themselves into a bank shot about whatever obsessive thought enters your mind.

I laughed.

God Bless our troops.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Flemington

Quote:
And since the richest 10% pay the vast majority of taxes it is them you should thank.
That's ill (defined.) I think you have your reason for a lot of these suicides (glorification of wealth, and an overall devaluation of the people that do the real work in a society.) Just look at these sporting events that a guy in the military might want to take his kid to. He did a real job so he could pay huge money for a very few to play a game (as a "job.") He's paying their tax. They sure aren't gunna make that money without ordinary people working hard to pay them.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 08-06-2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:

This has very little to do with why people do or do not commit suicide. It is a rational act for those that do take their life - but to those left behind it is not rational.

PTSD is not understood by those who have never experienced it or have loved ones that live with it. It takes lots and lots of therapy to recover , but for many a a single bullet works to ease the pain and depression.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Keeneland

Quote:

in an indirect way I was trying to point out the fact we had a Commander in Chief (Clinton) who loathed the military. Because he was so out of touch he actually thought giving everyone a beret and allowing makeup would strengthen moral.

It seems many on the left especially here are obsessed with hypocrisy when it involves republican extra marital affairs but not when an obese Dr. who is being considered for surgeon general is out preaching the effect obesity has on health care costs between hitting her feed bag and a President who is pushing for universal coverage in between smoke breaks. A TN state senator who no one outside of TN has ever heard of has an affair and its blasted, Clinton has an affair and it’s a private matter.

And Al Gore never invented anything except a scam to sell air.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Oh, please. There are alot of lies being told, repeatedly and publically - yes, by Republicans - about what the health care reform bill involves. The White House is meeting all the false allegations head on.

The lies are pretty sickening, indeed. Threatening older people that they will have to choose to die, because there will not be health care for them? Nauseating.
OK now I agree

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...swastikas.html
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Flemington

Quote:
in an indirect way I was trying to point out the fact we had a Commander in Chief (Clinton) who loathed the military. Because he was so out of touch he actually thought giving everyone a beret and allowing makeup would strengthen moral.

It seems many on the left especially here are obsessed with hypocrisy when it involves republican extra marital affairs but not when an obese Dr. who is being considered for surgeon general is out preaching the effect obesity has on health care costs between hitting her feed bag and a President who is pushing for universal coverage in between smoke breaks.
He should quit smoking, and the Cow Doc should reduce.

Now, a one-word Turkish impression: "HAPPY?"
..with two words: "HAPPY NOW?"
....with three words: "ARE YOU HAPPY?"
....four words...Turkeyglue Special: "YOU GIVE ME CONFUSIONS."

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 08-06-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Oh, please. There are alot of lies being told, repeatedly and publically - yes, by Republicans - about what the health care reform bill involves. The White House is meeting all the false allegations head on.

The lies are pretty sickening, indeed. Threatening older people that they will have to choose to die, because there will not be health care for them? Nauseating.
So the it is now a good thing for the govt to develop a list of private citizens who oppose the sitting President by the current President? Is this America? Liberals arent supposed to go for this type of thing. Weren't you guys the ones that went crazy over the phone deal? What does the ACLU have to say about this?

The health care measures are so unsettled that you have a hard time figuring out what the hell they are let alone saying that you can identify lies about it.

The system we have isnt great, the govt system will be worse.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Some are real people, some are being delivered to the Town Hall meetings with instructions on how to disrupt. The Dems are responding to this now by trying to spotlight it, as they did Palin and her more extreme wackjob followers.

Edit: I read somewhere that they might try restricting local town hall meetings to those that actually live in the District.
Yeah what do ya know? Professional protesters. Right out of the Acorn/liberal/antitrade/antiwar playbook.