Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Santa Anita

Even three days later, I’m still having trouble believing what I saw in the Oaks! I didn’t rate Miss Mossman very highly at all, but she came out and destroyed them! Three and a half lengths, and the fastest Oaks since 2004. Just stunning! Incredible.

I had a look back through her past races. There are a lot of really bad races there, but a few good ones too – she won her maiden by nine and a half lengths, and her other win was by more than three. So when she’s good, she’s really good.

Just hope she decides to be good a bit more often from now on. Cos there’s no doubt she was the best horse on Saturday. No excuses for any of the others. She was just better than them. So I hope it’s not a fluke!
Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 PM
Saratoga

I did the same and went back to watch a few of her races and am still just completely blown away.

Yes, I hope she continues to be THIS good!

I have not seen anything on Final Touch and am hoping for the best as I know you are. Hope this is a good sign.

Let me know how Pinzaara and Archie are doing and what is coming up in the next week or two when and if you can!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Santa Anita

I look for news on Final Touch every day, but I haven’t heard anything for about two weeks. I really do think no news is good news, so I think we can be optimistic. Poor girl. Hope she’s doing OK.

Pinzaara came through her great win brilliantly, and she’s running again this Saturday at Tauranga. Can’t wait! It’s a high-quality field – Queens Rose, Orbity, Urban Angel, In Style… *gulp*

But Stephen said she’s training fantastically well at the moment and couldn’t be any better. So I really hope she does well again. Either way, so proud of her and what she’s achieved this season.

Archie’s coming along really nicely. Jason says he’s going to be better as a 3yo, so I’m not expecting much from him until then. But he’ll have a trial on March 25.

I also have one more horse that I have a small share in now, also with Jason Bridgman. She’s a beautiful little 2yo filly named Auriol (stable nickname Doll), and she’s trialling on March 25 as well. Exciting times!

Last edited by _ed_ : 03-18-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Saratoga

Wow that is some field... VERY exciting and I do hope she wins for you! That would be amazing.

Thanks for the updates on the kids.

Good luck to Arietta, The Glitzy One, Locket and to the old man, El Chico, at the other track and to Fix, Xanadu, Postman's Daughter, Chintz, Viadana et al at Tauranga.

Good luck, Pinzaara!!!!!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Saratoga

Cheers to The Glitzy One, Fix and Viadana... all winners. *

The only replay I have watched so far this am is the most important one... Pinzaara... (not even Silent Achiever yet).

Huge field and so tough... be proud!

* I had to make that clear cause golfer was making fun of me for wishing all these horses in the same race luck. I had to explain that no only half were in one race together.

Not my fault that you guys have SO many GREAT horses over there. Yea haha!

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 03-22-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Santa Anita

She tried so hard again. But had a lot of weight on her back and against a good field.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Saratoga

It's the 25th there so please remember to let us know how Archie (I really do so love the name Brochaine ) and Auriol (... hers too!) do today!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM
Santa Anita

Very small Final Touch update:
http://www.nzracing.co.nz/News/12713...sk-Briefs.aspx

"now showing encouraging recovery signs".

Auriol was unplaced in her trial. Jason said "she worked home nicely amongst runners. While not quite the same as her first trial, she has continued to grow a lot of late and lightened up a touch because of this. We will monitor how she pulls up, but ideally I would like to give her another educational trial at the same venue on April 10. Otherwise, she may go for a spell as we have to do the best by the filly as she continues to develop physically."

Brochaine came third in his one! Jason said "he took a gap against the rail on straightening and quickened up nicely to finish third. It was a much improved performance and showed good professionalism. I was happy with the effort given a tight turning track and only 800 metres, to show good progress since being gelded. He is scheduled to trial again, over 1000 metres, on April 10 at the same venue, provided he pulls up well and we can make further assessment from there. Following which we will put him aside for a spell and return him to training ahead of his three-year-old season."
Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 PM
Saratoga

Thanks for all the updates!!!

Okay I need to wish luck to Yin Yang Master and Lauren Tate (r1) (and yes, golfer... who lurks on nz but cannot post for some reason ) they ARE in the same race., So what?!

Touche, I Am Sam and Jetset Lad (those two are in the same race) and whoa the field for the Gold Cup? Are you kidding?

Fantastic!

Go Military Move, Historian, Nashville and Zurella! (Historian wins, Nashville hits the board? What do you think, ed?).
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 AM
Santa Anita

Yeah, I do like Historian there.

Brochaine suffered a bruised hoof in that trial this week. They were planning on sending him off for his winter break soon anyway, so that’ll happen now.

In other news, I posted this rant on my blog tonight about the ridiculousness of mainstream TV coverage of the NZ Derby this year. Kind of long! Got a bit carried away.
http://theracingsection.com/2014/03/...mainstream-tv/
Old 03-28-2014, 11:51 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
Yeah, I do like Historian there.

Brochaine suffered a bruised hoof in that trial this week. They were planning on sending him off for his winter break soon anyway, so that’ll happen now.

In other news, I posted this rant on my blog tonight about the ridiculousness of mainstream TV coverage of the NZ Derby this year. Kind of long! Got a bit carried away.
http://theracingsection.com/2014/03/...mainstream-tv/
LOVED this ed... really well done and wow I am amazed they didn't show it (I mean how does TV3 sponsor it and ignore it??).

Good for you!

(Feel better, Archie).
Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Saratoga

Just watched the replay of the Gold Cup and congrats to the connections of Soriano but oh wow that was a hell of a run from Military Move!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Saratoga

Thoughts on Puccini, ed?

I kinda hope he goes back home.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Santa Anita

I'm not sure about Puccini. He was so disappointing - a long, long way off his best. I don't know if that's because he's had enough for this season, or if there's another reason. There are a few other explanations - he didn't seem to like the very wet track; Walker reported that his saddle slipped forward, which might have caused discomfort; and McKay said he wasn't ridden the way they had planned. So maybe it wasn't his fault and he might do better next time? I don't know. Hard decision to make!

Definitely a nice run from Military Move. And so happy for O'Marilyn - brave win, and well deserved after being so close in her last few. And how about Stephen McKee, Pinzaara's trainer? O'Marilyn first, Prince Mambo second and Passing Shot fourth. First, second, fourth in a G1!
Old 03-31-2014, 11:32 PM
Santa Anita

Wow, I have a job interview at The Informant next week. Nervous! Wanted a job like that for a long time.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Definitely a nice run from Military Move. And so happy for O'Marilyn - brave win, and well deserved after being so close in her last few. And how about Stephen McKee, Pinzaara's trainer? O'Marilyn first, Prince Mambo second and Passing Shot fourth. First, second, fourth in a G1!
Oh duh I didn't even realize that and yes that is great!!!

Quote:
Wow, I have a job interview at The Informant next week. Nervous! Wanted a job like that for a long time.
Soooo excited for you! Fabulous news!

The very best of luck to you!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Saratoga

"... she's going to get another Group 1 win... whoa look at her go! Viadana!"

Haha awesome win in the Breeders' Stakes!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Santa Anita

Brilliant win! She's just running so well at the moment. That performance put her on the list of contenders for the Horse of the Year, but I think Silent Achiever had something to say about that half an hour later.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Saratoga

Any thoughts on The Hombre's race?

I hate to even say it was disappointing (and that was nice to see McLaren get another win) but is he done or was it the track.... just not his day? Just wondering if you had any thoughts.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Santa Anita

It was really disappointing. That's twice in a row he's run really badly and come last. He's run bad races before, but usually with a good one in between. He's just not looking like running a good race at the moment. I don't know. Maybe he's had enough.

Nice news about Final Touch: http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing...Slipper-result