Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Never EVER will you hear me bashing anyone for skipping the tri crown or a race within that series.
You can see what the tri crown has done to our best three year olds in the past decade. Its no coiincidence that the most accomplished three year olds who went on to do great things in the summer/fall or at age 4, all skipped part or all of the Tri Crown. Messrs Bell, Ferguson and Albertrani(as well as Sheikh Mo) deserve kudos for not rushing him to the Crown. They have been rewarded with a sound animal for that decision. I wish more would follow their lead in the future.
Fact is that they were pretty aggresive going from maiden win to Withers to Preakness. That the horse won so easily distracts you from this.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He hit the gate when he broke his maiden, don't you think that he may have come out of the race a little sore since they didn't run him back until the 29th? I mean in the history of horseracing so many horses have broke their maiden in March and been pointed directly to the Derby. The fact he was able to win the Preakness in his first two turn race on May 20 was a top achievement
A top achievement against tired horses. Pisses me off. There needs to be changes to the TC format. It's become nothing but a duck, dodge, and pounce on the weary series.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:27 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Fact is that they were pretty aggresive going from maiden win to Withers to Preakness. That the horse won so easily distracts you from this.
The Withers was specifically chosen due to the fact that it was an allowance race type field of 4 horses.
Luxembourg had only won a maiden and non winners one. Doc Cheney not even that. I don't recall the straggler but he was the same.

The Preakness contained a small field as well, and other then Sweet, Bro D, and Barb, there was noone of any real consequence.
Those moves were not as aggressive as you paint them. They then backed off the Belmont where he would have been 3-5, that was very conservative and the key to his development.
Coach Pants

Quote:
It's not aggresive to go after horses coming off two weeks rest.
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Yes, but lucky to have seen some horses to give me this perspective.
That is true but it also makes me a little frustrated knowing that we probably wont see horses like that again.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
A top achievement against tired horses. Pisses me off. There needs to be changes to the TC format. It's become nothing but a duck, dodge, and pounce on the weary series.
Asking horses to run 3 miles and 15/16th's in three different states in 35 days is lunacy, pure lunacy. Anyone who chooses not to do that is just smart.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
oracle80

Quote:
He never ran on two week rest, better check that out bro.
Coach Pants

Quote:
Asking horses to run 3 miles and 15/16th's in three different states in 35 days is lunacy, pure lunacy. Anyone who chooses not to do that is just smart.
I agree. The Belmont should be held on July 4th.
Sha Tin

Quote:
The Withers was specifically chosen due to the fact that it was an allowance race type field of 4 horses.
Luxembourg had only won a maiden and non winners one. Doc Cheney not even that. I don't recall the straggler but he was the same.

The Preakness contained a small field as well, and other then Sweet, Bro D, and Barb, there was noone of any real consequence.
Those moves were not as aggressive as you paint them. They then backed off the Belmont where he would have been 3-5, that was very conservative and the key to his development.
Preakness looks softer now then it did then. And I hate to say it but the Belmont is really only important if you win the other 2 races.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
He never ran on two week rest, better check that out bro.
I'm talking about the horses that ran in the Derby.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Dude it the freaking Preakness, open to all eligible 3 year olds, not the exhausted horse invitational. There have been a lot of horses that have gone Withers to Preakness and I may be wrong but I dont think any of them have ever won the Preakness.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Actually I believe he was slated to go in a conditional allowance the Friday prior to the Withers and chose the Withers instead when told it was coming up so light.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:35 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Actually I believe he was slated to go in a conditional allowance the Friday prior to the Withers and chose the Withers instead when told it was coming up so light.
Thats correct, he was actually "hustled" into the field when told only three others were running.
Who was the straggler who was 4th? I can't recall who it was.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Dude it the freaking Preakness, open to all eligible 3 year olds, not the exhausted horse invitational. There have been a lot of horses that have gone Withers to Preakness and I may be wrong but I dont think any of them have ever won the Preakness.
Shell I think you have that one wrong. Although run the past few years three weeks before the Preakness, it used to be run only 13 days or 14 days prior to the Preakness. Thats why I don't recall many who tried that move.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:39 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Absolutely right in this contention. Read from Bloodhorse:
http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=33255
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Shell I think you have that one wrong. Although run the past few years three weeks before the Preakness, it used to be run only 13 days or 14 days prior to the Preakness. Thats why I don't recall many who tried that move.
Has been run many different dates in the Spring including at Aqueduct but has always been before the Preakness and has had many runners that opted out of the Derby and went on to try the Preakness.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Has been run many different dates in the Spring including at Aqueduct but has always been before the Preakness and has had many runners that opted out of the Derby and went on to try the Preakness.
I'm sure it has, I just can't recall any who had a real shot. Can you recall any? I'm sure that there had to be one or two. I know that Scrappy T was 2nd to AA. thats about all I can recall.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I'm sure it has, I just can't recall any who had a real shot. Can you recall any? I'm sure that there had to be one or two. I know that Scrappy T was 2nd to AA. thats about all I can recall.
We cant recall many because they never win!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM
oracle80

Quote:
We cant recall many because they never win!
Good point!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Morris Park

Jaipur in 1962: owner George D. Widnener didn't nominate for the Derby, preferred to try to win more prestigious Belmont instead. Jaipur won Withers (then run on the same day as the Derby), came back 2 weeks later to try the Preakness (1st attempt at 2 turns) and finished way out of the money. He won the Jersey Derby on Memorial Day (on a disqualification) and then won the Belmont.