View Poll Results: Who is the Horse of The Year
Rachel Alexandra 114 52.78%
Zenyatta 102 47.22%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by copying
In the horse racing world, everything east of Wash, Cali, Ariz is considered "East Coasters". Easterners claim MTB (the New Mexico runner), anything from Arlington, KY, etc.
when was the last time a horse from Az or New Mexico won a championship?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycat
In terms of horse racing, "East Coast" bias would include tracks east of the Mississippi. Horses that run at Fairgrounds, CD, Oaklawn and in Florida are considered "east coast" horses

ah, not so. when azeri shipped to arlington for the bc, and won HOY, people knocked her for not coming east that year.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
agree, thats why when it comes to Eclipse voting over the years there have been some very curious results with west coast horses.
Agreed. A recent one was the 2004 sprint eclipse where Speightstown won over Pico Central. Pico Central won the vosburgh, carter and Met mile and finished 3rd in the cigar after a long year shipping back and forth. In their lone meeting, Pico Central blew speightstown's doors off in the Vosburgh. Yet, speightstown was named champion sprinter. The rationale at the time? Speightstown showed up on BC day.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Agreed. A recent one was the 2004 sprint eclipse where Speightstown won over Pico Central. Pico Central won the vosburgh, carter and Met mile and finished 3rd in the cigar after a long year shipping back and forth. In their lone meeting, Pico Central blew speightstown's doors off in the Vosburgh. Yet, speightstown was named champion sprinter. The rationale at the time? Speightstown showed up on BC day.
Well, sadly, I'm sure some voters view the Vosburgh as some sort of BC "prep" race, the way they would a Derby prep.

In the BC Sprint itself, Speighstown won well clear of runner-up Kela, who sure enough, defeated Pico Central in the Pat O'Brien at Del Mar.

The loss in the Cigar Mile was probably the nail in the coffin.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
Well, sadly, I'm sure some voters view the Vosburgh as some sort of BC "prep" race, the way they would a Derby prep.

In the BC Sprint itself, Speighstown won well clear of runner-up Kela, who sure enough, defeated Pico Central in the Pat O'Brien at Del Mar.

The loss in the Cigar Mile was probably the nail in the coffin.
I hear you. But speightstown's BC victory was his lone grade 1 all year long. Regardless of how the voters viewed the vosburgh, the race really wasnt close and it was at a distance Speightstown was supposed to be better at.

If you took the body of work over the course of a season, it wasnt even close. Pico took victories in Belmont's two biggest sprints of the year and finished a respectable first and third at the big A. Pico roasted Speightstown in their only head to head. How does Speightstown get that award IF you are judging the winner based on what happened over the course of an entire year?
Old 11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Santa Anita

In my view, HOY should be based on the best horse who raced in North America in that year (thats why like KG has said before, I would have liked Ghostzapper to have gotten it off one run in May of 2005). The best assembled horse race of the year was the Classic and Zenyatta won it very very cosily. That was the performance of the year! She deserves the accolade and thats why I voted for her. However, if there was a year for Co-HOYs, this is it. Rachel had a smashing year..

#Grand
Old 11-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
In my view, HOY should be based on the best horse who raced in North America in that year.
Whatever. That kind of thinking apparently got King Glorious kicked outta here.

"Best assembled"? The BC Classic was nothing more than what would have happened if Derek Jeter, Corey Nakatani, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, Kobe Byrant, David Beckham, Tom Brady, and Susan Boyle got to together and had a singing competition.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Gulfstream Park

Z

Nuff said
Old 11-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i disagree. people keep lumping rachel into the east coast, conveniently forgetting races at oaklawn, fairgrounds and churchill downs.
I was wrong, I should of said " California Haters" is more like it.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
I was wrong, I should of said " California Haters" is more like it.

i don't think it's a hatred of one state. zenyatta hasn't gotten any more grief than say...pepper's pride, or hallowed dreams. and no, i'm not comparing them talent-wise!! it's more a desire to see horses run in more than one state, to move outside their comfort zone.. it's a completely different style out there, and no dirt surfaces, and is next to impossible to draw comparisons if a horse only runs out there. a horse, such as rachel, who runs well all over the country except cali should get more respect than one who remains only in cali, right? there's a reason rachel didn't run there, and it's the same reason zenyatta only ran there. artificial surfaces. a comparison of the two has to be done only on what they both accomplished for the year, as any other comparisons would be based on opinion and conjecture.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
i don't think it's a hatred of one state. zenyatta hasn't gotten any more grief than say...pepper's pride, or hallowed dreams. and no, i'm not comparing them talent-wise!! it's more a desire to see horses run in more than one state, to move outside their comfort zone.. it's a completely different style out there, and no dirt surfaces, and is next to impossible to draw comparisons if a horse only runs out there. a horse, such as rachel, who runs well all over the country except cali should get more respect than one who remains only in cali, right? there's a reason rachel didn't run there, and it's the same reason zenyatta only ran there. artificial surfaces. a comparison of the two has to be done only on what they both accomplished for the year, as any other comparisons would be based on opinion and conjecture.
I love how you sit there and make it sound like California horses never leave the state, when its usually exactly the opposite, they go all the way across country, winning at a pretty good clip on surfaces that are foreign to them, yet you rarely see it in reverse.

If they BC had been at CD she would have been there, the owners support racing, oh maybe you forgot horses like Giacomo and Tiago traveling around the country?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I love how you sit there and make it sound like California horses never leave the state, when its usually exactly the opposite, they go all the way across country, winning at a pretty good clip on surfaces that are foreign to them, yet you rarely see it in reverse.

If they BC had been at CD she would have been there, the owners support racing, oh maybe you forgot horses like Giacomo and Tiago traveling around the country?

how is my talking of zenyatta not leaving the state this year an indictment of all california horses every year?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
how is my talking of zenyatta not leaving the state this year an indictment of all california horses every year?
its the same argument, every year, every thread, it gets old.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
for example, when azeri was up for HOY it was, she had an uninspired campaign, she just beat up on no ones in socal, she did not race at belmont or saratoga..
Old 11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
for example, when azeri was up for HOY it was, she had an uninspired campaign, she just beat up on no ones in socal, she did not race at belmont or saratoga..
She raced nine times if I remember correctly though including a win in Chicago.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
did I mention the number of races? no, it was the local
Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
it was also "if she wanted to win she should have run in the classic"....thats what you heard around message boards.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
it was also "if she wanted to win she should have run in the classic"....thats what you heard around message boards.
So you're bringing up complaints made by basically no one that is on this message board 7 years ago and somehow comparing them to this situation?

NT
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

which is why i mentioned her, because i thought she did plenty for HOY that year. those who argued she never travelled east were incorrect. altho she didn't go to the east coast, she most certainly did not remain in socal.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Well Armed earned more money than her and as far as Zenyatta winning the biggest race and that being the only criteria where do Pleasantly Perfect, Volponi and Raven's Pass' connections file their complaints for being snubbed?

NT
Well Armed won most of his money in one of those Mo-Nut-Liquor Countries. That money isn't supposed to be taken into account for this award. The reasons for Volponi n' RP not getting it are obvious. The reason for PP is because he wasn't active at all for long periods of the year (Mineshaft dominated those periods of the year, and got injured right before the B.C.) It's been 6 years now. Hopefully that's accurate......One of the reasons I don't miss the SOCAL dirt tracks is because they tended to get as biased as that Dubai track was that day. Also, horses didn't come back from races (on our dirt) quickly enough to fill fields well. A problem with the synthetic out here(especially Pro-Ride n' Del Mar Poly) is that trainers often bring young horses back too quickly off a nice debut effort on it (#2 be poo.) The chances of that(#2 be poo) are even more increased with those damn incessant 7f maiden races they seemed to be writing at Anita.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-15-2009 at 07:00 PM.